The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #601  
Old 12-09-2017, 07:06 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Talking about layers, some folks do varying flavors per layer. Obviously if a person didn't like bananas they wouldn't choose it.


LaRae
Yes, the different layers, or now doing cupcakes in different flavors is popular. Traditionally chocolate or vanilla wedding cakes were used as because they were universally liked. You please the most people that way. Some couples though want to pick more personal flavors, and doing different tiers to the cake, allows them to please themselves but also feed more picky eaters.
__________________

  #602  
Old 12-09-2017, 07:16 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 7,602
Who will be chosen to do a religious reading at the wedding service?
__________________

  #603  
Old 12-09-2017, 11:32 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Somewhere in, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Has the actual wedding date been announced? If not, wonder what the holdup is?
I think, that they actually can't set a date yet, as Meghan might be still waiting for her fiancé visa to clear, and be able to come to UK. I think, that it will be announced after Christmas.
  #604  
Old 12-09-2017, 11:40 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
Different articles spoke about potential guests at the wedding: politicians, celebrities, etc. No one has speculated ( yet) about Chelsy and Cressida. They ended on good terms with Harry and Meghan may be ok with their being guests but the Fail and other outlets will turn them into modern day Camilla, with side by side shots of one or both with Camilla at Charles and Diana's wedding. These ex girlfriends are being dragged to sell papers; I feel sorry for them.
That is exactly what the tabloids are doing. TBH, I'd be really surprised if both Chelsy and Cressida were not in attendance at the wedding. If there's one thing I know, its that Meghan is self assured enough and comfortable in her own skin enough to realize that Harry is marrying her because he loves her and there is no other woman in this world that could be perceived as a threat. As she doesn't pay attention to the "noise" of the braying press, nor do those close to the couple, its the public that buys into these kind of stories I feel sorry for.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #605  
Old 12-09-2017, 11:41 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
I think, that they actually can't set a date yet, as Meghan might be still waiting for her fiancé visa to clear, and be able to come to UK. I think, that it will be announced after Christmas.
She has come to the UK already

And they have announced the month they are getting married in as well.

If they couldn't set a date because they aren't sure how long it would take for a visa, they wouldn't have announced May. They obviously know she will be able to get married in the UK in May. Its just a matter of the day we are waiting on.

The process, coming from countries like the US, tends to take 3-4 weeks. The process was most likely started weeks ago, if not before they even got engaged. Since there is no legal documents for engagement, you don't have to be engaged. Simply show proof you plan to live together, meet the requirements, and will be married in six months.

It has been 12 days. It's not like they are dragging things out.

Quote:
Who will be chosen to do a religious reading at the wedding service?
IF they do one, likely a close friend or family member. James Middleton did one for Kate and William.

Meghan has a number of female friends, as well as her niece. Perhaps if she chooses to use a friend for her maid of honor, she might ask her niece to do the reading. Or another friend.
  #606  
Old 12-10-2017, 12:10 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Somewhere in, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
She has come to the UK already

And they have announced the month they are getting married in as well.

If they couldn't set a date because they aren't sure how long it would take for a visa, they wouldn't have announced May. They obviously know she will be able to get married in the UK in May. Its just a matter of the day we are waiting on.

The process, coming from countries like the US, tends to take 3-4 weeks. The process was most likely started weeks ago, if not before they even got engaged. Since there is no legal documents for engagement, you don't have to be engaged. Simply show proof you plan to live together, meet the requirements, and will be married in six months.

It has been 12 days. It's not like they are dragging things.
It was only a suggestion, based on @Somebody's post #274 in the Visa and religious musings thread.
I don't want to take it OT here, so I'll drop the visa discussion.
  #607  
Old 12-10-2017, 12:29 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
That is exactly what the tabloids are doing. TBH, I'd be really surprised if both Chelsy and Cressida were not in attendance at the wedding. If there's one thing I know, its that Meghan is self assured enough and comfortable in her own skin enough to realize that Harry is marrying her because he loves her and there is no other woman in this world that could be perceived as a threat. As she doesn't pay attention to the "noise" of the braying press, nor do those close to the couple, its the public that buys into these kind of stories I feel sorry for.
Yea, the way that Harry looks at her and talks about her and his love for her, there is really no question. Honestly, the media trying to draw the Camilla, Chelsy, and Cressida parallel is missing one very key detail. Charles couldn’t marry whomever he wished because he is the heir to the throne. Harry is marrying the woman he wants to marry. In fact, it might have been a lot easier in terms of logistics and public relations standpoint had he decided to marry an English rose that didn’t have a previous marriage or an actress.

While a lot of people have moved on from this type of thing, there is that segment that sneers at it even today. Looking back at all those relationships that were considered groundbreaking and controversial in the royal family, it’s almost like they broke the archaic rules down little by little and finally we have this couple that can marry without having to give up a lot today to complete the process.
  #608  
Old 12-10-2017, 12:35 AM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades CA, United States
Posts: 4,420
I think Chelesy and Cressida being present is not a simple thing, and I mean that from the perspective of the two women. Not that Meghan would mind, or that Chelesy and Cressida would mind, but that the tabloids would make it unpleasant for them. JMO.

I think if they attend it will be at the venue that is very private so there will be no chance of photos. I say that based on what I would prefer myself. The two women may not care and attend regardless of photos. I guess we'll see.
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
  #609  
Old 12-10-2017, 01:14 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,817
William and Kate included exes because they were still friends with them. They still moved in social circles and kept up relationships.

Though we see Cress and Chelsy with the York girls from time to time, there seems little sign that Harry has any relationship with either of them. To think he would suddenly invite them to his wedding seems a stretch.
  #610  
Old 12-10-2017, 06:16 AM
Madame Verseau's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Louisville, United States
Posts: 1,784
And if Chelsy and Cressida are not at the wedding the gossip press will write they're at home eating cookie dough ice cream crying "it should have been meeeee!!!!". If they go out on a date the guy with them is a rebound. These two can't win.
  #611  
Old 12-10-2017, 07:42 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Herefordshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,397
Quote:
Please more 'picky' eaters
Bugger that, the WHOLE point of a Wedding cake is that EVERYONE shares something with the Bridal Couple...

#TraditionalFruitCakeOrNothing
  #612  
Old 12-10-2017, 09:16 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Bugger that, the WHOLE point of a Wedding cake is that EVERYONE shares something with the Bridal Couple...

#TraditionalFruitCakeOrNothing
Uh, some people don’t like fruit cake either. Besides, it’s a freaking cake, do people really feel THAT strongly about it? I’ve never been to a wedding where I cared for the cake(not my thing), but I certainly wouldn’t go complain about it.
  #613  
Old 12-10-2017, 09:45 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Uh, some people don’t like fruit cake either. Besides, it’s a freaking cake, do people really feel THAT strongly about it? I’ve never been to a wedding where I cared for the cake(not my thing), but I certainly wouldn’t go complain about it.
When we got married we had sponge cake. I had American guests coming and was not sure they'd be keen on fruit cake, plus I had a couple of British friends that I knew hated fruit. It was a small wedding so we couldn't have tiers, therefore we stuck to sponge. Everybody liked it, including people who didn't come but who we sent cake to. It was a British style wedding cake though, fondant icing rather than butter icing that Americans have.
  #614  
Old 12-10-2017, 09:50 AM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,310
Fondant cakes are big in the U.S. too at least in some circles. I'd never have a cake with it but if you want a sculpted shaped cake it's almost always used.

Buttercream all the way here!! I love traditional white wedding cake with buttercream frosting...yum yum!


LaRae
  #615  
Old 12-10-2017, 01:00 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: jersey shore, United States
Posts: 1,124
Buttercream in this house. I’m wondering, perhaps silly, will they have favors and if they do, then I’m wondering what.
  #616  
Old 12-10-2017, 01:26 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Bugger that, the WHOLE point of a Wedding cake is that EVERYONE shares something with the Bridal Couple...

#TraditionalFruitCakeOrNothing
Yuk. When it comes to cake I am not remotely picky eater, but fruit cake ???? I never got the British obsession with fruit cake as a wedding cake. Here we think of fruit cake as door stoppers, the Christmas gift nobody wants.

But they do have a groom's cake last I looked, I recall William had a chocolate biscuit cake for his.

You are sharing a cake. Even if different layers are different flavors. It is the same cake. It is decorated the same. It is cut together. Just different layers.
  #617  
Old 12-10-2017, 03:01 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 7,602
Which baking company will be chosen to make the wedding cake?
  #618  
Old 12-10-2017, 03:17 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Which baking company will be chosen to make the wedding cake?
Like flowers, cake is really about preference of the couple. There isn't a royal 'wedding cake baker'.

The Cambridges used Fiona Cairns

Luxury, Handcrafted Celebration and Wedding Cakes by Fiona Cairns | Fiona Cairns

Diana and Charles had a cake that was made by the head chef of the royal naval cooking school.

Andrew and Sarah were similar, their cake was supplied by the naval supply school HMS Raleigh.

Edward and Sophie has a devils food cake done by Linda Fripp
Linda Fripp Designs : Home

Anne and Mark were similar to Andrew and Charles, but an army baker not naval.
  #619  
Old 12-10-2017, 03:23 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Fondant cakes are big in the U.S. too at least in some circles. I'd never have a cake with it but if you want a sculpted shaped cake it's almost always used.

Buttercream all the way here!! I love traditional white wedding cake with buttercream frosting...yum yum!


LaRae
Agreed it probably tastes better, but the ones with fondant look much neater and more stylish. Buttercream just has a bit of a 'home made' look about it. In my opinion anyway. I guess it's just what you grew up with. Now royal icing, the really hard stuff you get on Christmas cake, that is hard and horrible!
  #620  
Old 12-10-2017, 03:36 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: jersey shore, United States
Posts: 1,124
Fondant is like silly putty/play dough. It’s so pliable. One daughter is a pastry chef and I’m always amazed at what she does with it.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings soapstar The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family 3909 11-27-2017 05:10 AM




Popular Tags
america american archie mountbatten-windsor asia baptism biography british british royal family british royals camilla's family camilla parker bowles carolin china chinese clarence house colorblindness commonwealth countries crown jewels customs daisy doge of venice dresses duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex elizabeth ii family life fashion and style genetics george vi gustaf vi adolf harry and meghan hello! history house of windsor jack brooksbank japan japan history jewellery kensington palace king edward vii king juan carlos książ castle liechtenstein lili mountbatten-windsor line of succession list of rulers luxembourg monarchist movements monarchists plantinum jubilee politics portugal prince charles of luxembourg prince harry queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen victoria royal ancestry solomon j solomon spanish royal family speech st edward swedish queen taiwan thai royal family tradition unfinished portrait united states welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:01 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×