Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry is an Arsenal fan and they are the defending champs. He is a huge football fan. He loves both rugby and football. I remember Charles even taking him to the World Cup final in France in 1998 because he wanted to go and so Charles arranged to take him. Both he and William went to the World Cup in South Africa as well and he also went to Brazil for the World Cup matches there. He is a much bigger fan of football than William.

All this day does is force William to chose between his brother and one of his 'must-do' events - present the medals at the end of the game. He will chose his brother's wedding of course but he should never have been put in that situation.

In England FA cup final is like Superbowl final in the US or grandfinal day/s here in Australia and are days that half-intelligent men make sure they don't have that as their wedding day.

A absolute No No that anyone gets married on AFL grand final day here in Australia. Unless you have a tight budget because everything wedding related is discounted [emoji2]
I did notice there is concern that police numbers would be a problem with 2 huge events. Hopefully that doesn’t cause problems

People keep saying that it had to be a Saturday in May. But there are two bank holidays in May on Mondays, one early in the month, I think the 5th, and one later (don't have next year's calendar to hand but it's usually about the 26th). So a Monday would have been possible.

However it's the 19th and that's fine. It was bound to clash with something whatever date they chose.

The wedding breakfast hosted by The Queen at BP had 600 people and the evening reception hosted by Charles had 300 people. Plus The Queen hosted foreign royalsl at the Mandarin Oriental hotel.

Harry and Meghan will probably have just the one and invite who they want. If Meghan has any close friends in London they may also have some sort of party.

Harry’s wedding has much more flexibility than William’s. We’re told it will be non-traditional and to expect some surprises

I don't know--They may want a reception for all/most of the guests invited to the wedding and then the big party reception for close friends and family. If they invite 600-800 people all of them are probably not going to the big bash.

We also heard Meghan was going to be a different kind of Duchess, that she wasn't going to change her life, that Harry and she were going to be non-traditional in general and that doesn't seem to be happening so I'm skeptical.

We also heard Meghan was going to be a different kind of Duchess, that she wasn't going to change her life, that Harry and she were going to be non-traditional in general and that doesn't seem to be happening so I'm skeptical.

The only place we ‘’heard’’ these things was in the tabloids. I would think that any minimally intelligent person would know how much that is worth:ermm:.

Absolutely nothing Harry or Meghan have said or done so far indicates that they’re planning some big change or shocking difference. People who expect it are just setting themselves up for disappointment, imo.

One paper has mentioned it as a problem - DM (no surprise); another says that it means we will just party for longer.

The two events don't clash UNLESS the wedding is late afternoon/evening which I doubt. Kick-off (football) is apparently 17:30.

It isn't a real issue and as the PRincess Royal once said - "You can't attend everything, there are always clashes!"

Anne speaks the truth! And I do believe that the FA will understand that William's brother only plans on marrying once in his lifetime.;)

Last edited:
Oh please, William has missed plenty of major events including the BAFTAs for no apparent reason. Him missing the Cup Finals for his ONLY brother's wedding is hardly a thing and I can guarantee the players will not care on whit either way nor will those watching the game. William is hardly being put in a tough spot. Not everything is about the Cambridges and their schedule.

Exactly, it may be a big game, but the only way it would be a problem for William was if he was the goalie for one of the teams. Someone else will present the championship to the winner in William's place. The only people who will have an issue are those who look for trouble.

Maybe they will set up a TV at the reception so people can watch if they have an interest.;)

Presumably then every single date in May will have a number of royals undertaking royal engagements because a single day with no engagements will show that they didn't look at people's schedules at all but chose a date knowing it would make things difficult for William and his FA commitment. This may very well show how much the FA position means to William. I will be watching the CC in May very carefully and there had better not be a single date on which at least 5 royals aren't doing things or this date is a deliberate insult to the FA and the most popular sporting event in England - even if not for the royals themselves, although Harry is a fan.

I'm sorry, but that is absolutely ridiculous.

And I'm sure the Windsor Horse Show at Windsor was more important when selecting the wedding date than the football/soccer game at Wembley.

Last edited:
Preach on Sister! :D

Maybe even earlier! I figure if the wedding is at 11, I'll have to be up by 3am Central to catch the pre-wedding stuff.

LaRae

and those of us west coast time earlier. ? I had a pajamas and tiaras party for Will & Kate - will have to see what we do this time.

Perhaps Meghan really wanted some work colleagues and friends from Suits at her wedding. That weekend is free from work due to the Victoria Day holiday in Ontario. There are no other Canadian public holidays in the month of May are there?

If William was absolutely devastated and refused to allow anybody else to be delegated to hand out the FA Cup medals then the date presumably wouldn't have been chosen.

Getting better at guessing. I was right about May, and now about 19th. :flowers:

This debate on football I am sorry is ridiculous. The horse show and trooping practice wont change. And is a huge monetary as well as people involved then William attending a game. If William as president of BAFTA misses the main event, he sure as heck can miss the FA finals.

As for people watching, the wedding will likely be a morning event. We only see the ceremony, the reception isn't filmed. So people can watch both.

I do think honestly we will see two receptions, even without the huge guest list Will and Kate had. There will still be people from their charities, and other guests who wouldn't be likely to attend a late night reception. Even non royal weddings, thinking Pippa for example, often do now.

-morning ceremony and carriage ride
-wedding breakfast/reception hosted by the queen
-evening party attended by close friends of the couple

The wedding breakfast I could see just being:
-close family
-any foreign royals
-representatives of their charities and army

The evening reception mainly for friends and the younger family members. I don't see the queen, Philip and older members like the Kents attending an evening reception. This would be the more laid back party, when they can have more fun, away from any formality of a royal wedding.

Harry will wear an uniform. No doubt. The only thing he has in common with Peter or Edward is his wedding location. Edward never served, he didn't even finish his training. He does wear an uniform at military events, but his wedding was another matter. Harry may have honorary positions as well, but he actively served in the army. He will wear his most senior uniform.

Yep I agree countessmeout ....timeline and events. Also yes I would be very surprised if Harry didn't wear a uniform.

LaRae

People keep saying that it had to be a Saturday in May. But there are two bank holidays in May on Mondays, one early in the month, I think the 5th, and one later (don't have next year's calendar to hand but it's usually about the 26th). So a Monday would have been possible.

However it's the 19th and that's fine. It was bound to clash with something whatever date they chose.

Monday’s would still be difficult for people as they’d have to work the next day. From what we’ve heard, Britons go all out and party for the royal wedding celebrations.

Monday’s would still be difficult for people as they’d have to work the next day. From what we’ve heard, Britons go all out and party for the royal wedding celebrations.

Not really, the majority of people couldn't care less, and even those who are interested are only going to see the ceremony early on in the day. It's not like they'll then party all night. They just don't. I remember the Queen's Silver Jubilee in 1977 when I was a kid. We had a street party, but it was during the day. People didn't stay up celebrating late into the night. Even after Charles and Diana got married, those who were there personally would have gone home after the balcony appearance.

Not really, the majority of people couldn't care less, and even those who are interested are only going to see the ceremony early on in the day. It's not like they'll then party all night. They just don't. I remember the Queen's Silver Jubilee in 1977 when I was a kid. We had a street party, but it was during the day. People didn't stay up celebrating late into the night. Even after Charles and Diana got married, those who were there personally would have gone home after the balcony appearance.

For the public watching at home true :flowers:

But for the couple and their guests? There will be many people from out of the country who are there. Some of whom may have to be right back to work. Monday might limit people coming. It may be a bank holiday in the UK, but its not a bank holiday for people in Canada and the US, where many of the guests will be coming from.

The weekend they chose in May long in Canada. For those guests who come from Canada (suits, the Mulroneys), its makes the trip easier for sure.

We are being drop fed the information first the month then the day now waiting for the time and if it will be televised. Maybe we will know by New Years

We are being drop fed the information first the month then the day now waiting for the time and if it will be televised. Maybe we will know by New Years

Nothing new at all. If you were expecting to be given it all in one go, you forget easily the Cambridge wedding. It took a week less for date with the Cambridges, but it still wasn't all in one go.

The time is likely down to having not made so definitive plans just yet. Does it really matter to know what time of day, by New Years????:ermm:

It was confirmed at BP briefing that it’d be televised.

May 5th must've been out of the question due to Kate. And the 19th falls on a Canadian holiday, so Meghan's loved ones from Canada could attend.

There were so many moving pieces to consider, and I'm thinking the pride and groom's needs were considered the first priority, even over the FA cup final.

I've already seen some asking about Harry wearing a ring or not.

Really the only thing we don't know is the time of the wedding.

LaRae

and those of us west coast time earlier. ? I had a pajamas and tiaras party for Will & Kate - will have to see what we do this time.

Usually it's just me watching here...although this time the oldest granddaughter will be here (she'll be 9 in March) and she likes to look at the tiaras and dress pics when she sees me on the royal boards looking at stuff....so...while she won't get up at 3 or 4 am..I bet she's up by 5 to see the stuff.

A tiara party ...hmmm I might have to make an occasion out of it with her. Maybe we can make our own tiaras a day or two before and then wear them!

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
May 5th must've been out of the question due to Kate. And the 19th falls on a Canadian holiday, so Meghan's loved ones from Canada could attend.

There were so many moving pieces to consider, and I'm thinking the pride and groom's needs were considered the first priority, even over the FA cup final.

I think that was likely one of the more deciding factors.

Perhaps Meghan really wanted some work colleagues and friends from Suits at her wedding. That weekend is free from work due to the Victoria Day holiday in Ontario. There are no other Canadian public holidays in the month of May are there?

If William was absolutely devastated and refused to allow anybody else to be delegated to hand out the FA Cup medals then the date presumably wouldn't have been chosen.

No, Victoria Day is our May long weekend and, to help keep Canadians sane, we have a long weekend almost every month :flowers: (horrible weather, you know:bang:)
I am indeed intrigued about the Canadian content in this wedding; rumour has it that Ivy Mulroney,(daughter of Meghan Markle's stylist Jennifer and granddaughter of former prime minister Brian) will be one of the bridal children along with Grace Ella Trudeau, daughter of Sophie and Justin, another Meghan and Harry friendship! :flowers::whistling:

No, Victoria Day is our May long weekend and, to help keep Canadians sane, we have a long weekend almost every month :flowers: (horrible weather, you know:bang:)
I am indeed intrigued about the Canadian content in this wedding; rumour has it that Ivy Mulroney,(daughter of Meghan Markle's stylist Jennifer and granddaughter of former prime minister Brian) will be one of the bridal children along with Grace Ella Trudeau, daughter of Sophie and Justin, another Meghan and Harry friendship! :flowers::whistling:
I’d be surprised if Ivy is not involved. Although her mom’s name is Jessica and not Jennifer. :lol:

And I don’t know about Grace Ella as her dad probably wouldn’t attend due to the security accommodations that would have to be made for a sitting head of government.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harry is an Arsenal fan and they are the defending champs. He is a huge football fan. He loves both rugby and football. I remember Charles even taking him to the World Cup final in France in 1998 because he wanted to go and so Charles arranged to take him. Both he and William went to the World Cup in South Africa as well and he also went to Brazil for the World Cup matches there. He is a much bigger fan of football than William.

All this day does is force William to chose between his brother and one of his 'must-do' events - present the medals at the end of the game. He will chose his brother's wedding of course but he should never have been put in that situation.

In England FA cup final is like Superbowl final in the US or grandfinal day/s here in Australia and are days that half-intelligent men make sure they don't have that as their wedding day.

Clearly Harry couldn't care less about the FA cup finals compared wanting to get married.

And I'm 100% sure, that the FA cup final didn't even cross anyone's mind, after all the other issues got aligned. William had to make no choice, there wasn't a choice to be made.

Meghan just moved across the globe to move to UK, quit her job, and her friends from Canada most likely couldn't attend any other day but on the weekend of the 19th. That of course took priority. Weekdays are out of the question for traffic reasons, as it wouldn't be a bank holiday. The whole of April and the beginning of May are out of question due to Kate's pregnancy. It has to happen in May due to Meghan's fiancé visa.

Any person with half intelligence would put their own wedding ahead of a football game, at least if they want to make sure that 'their relationship will be the number one priority' like Harry said during the engagement interview.

I could very well see Harry wearing his band. I think he would with pride especially after the way he got chills just at the thought of being her husband. Both of them wearing those rings probably is very likely.

We will see Harry wearing his wedding band? Prince Charles and William don't wear theirs. I hope Harry does not do what they do.

Charles wears one just not on the traditional finger, he wears it below his signet ring same as he did for his first marriage.

I thought Charles does wear his behind his signet?

William stated from the beginning he would wear one. I don;t think he even had one made.

No, there was never a second ring involved in the wedding.

I remember thinking it odd. Usually even a groom doesn't wear one, its part of the ceremony. Because they make a second vow when they put the ring on. It seemed odd only the groom would make that pledge.

Why?Isn't it their business whether they want to wear a ring or not?

I think until a few years ago it wasn't that common to see British men wearing wedding rings. There was a bit of a class thing going on. It was regarded in some quarters as naff and working class. More men wear them now but I don't know that royals and aristos do so, even now. It doesn't seem to be their thing.

I think until a few years ago it wasn't that common to see British men wearing wedding rings. There was a bit of a class thing going on. It was regarded in some quarters as naff and working class. More men wear them now but I don't know that royals and aristos do so, even now. It doesn't seem to be their thing.

Yes used to be considered 'flashy' and 'foreign', a sign of low class. Kind of like nouveau riche wearing lots of glitz and gold to try and show off their money.

Funny no one blinks when a man doesn't wear one, but the same isn't true for a woman. Why is it when we see royal women not wearing their rings we constantly get comments? If it is a man's right to wear a wedding ring or not, should it not be the woman's?

Engagement of Prince Harry of Wales and Meghan Markle: November 27, 2017

Not sure that having the wedding on the same day as the football cup final - the biggest domestic game of the season - will go down well with members of the public. Plus William usually attends and presents the trophy in his official position as president of the FA. The press are talking about a morning wedding and a late afternoon kick off but it does seem, as one paper has put it, as an unnecessary own goal. It has also been suggested that a Saturday wedding has been chosen to avoid the need for a national holiday.

wel obviously. I think that no one really wants a bank holiday so that only leaves Saturdays.. and there are things like Trooping the Colour round that time of year, important engagements that can't be shifted. And while football is still popular, its not so much so as it used to be. If William has to miss the FA Cup for his brothers' wedding it is hardly that big a deal. And men don't usualy watch Royal weddings In their thousands... so they'll be down the pub watching the footie, if they like it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom