The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #4741  
Old 05-16-2018, 06:57 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,260
I am so glad Meghan's side wasn't forgotten in this selection.

Yes, the oldest children are seven, the youngest two. Perhaps a couple of the mums have volunteered to corall the younger ones and make sure they don't play up, like Kate at Pippa's wedding? In my mind's eye I can still see William, aged four, at the York wedding...
__________________

  #4742  
Old 05-16-2018, 07:02 AM
Zaira's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: A, United States
Posts: 1,217
So, Jessica and Family arrived this morning and it is reported so did Benita and CO.

IMO, it seems they did indeed wait until the kids were in the UK to announce, and therefore this would not be disruptive to their daily lives with the media.
__________________

  #4743  
Old 05-16-2018, 07:03 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
Some times folks are Godparents and it has nothing to do with organized religion.

One of my Godmothers is not Catholic (I am), but is still my Godmother. I actually know a lot of people who name folks their kids' Godparents and it having nothing to do with a formal religious ceremony, just a role people play in folks lives.
A Catholic child can have a non-Catholic godparent, but the godparent has to provide proof, as I said, of a valid baptism, i. e. a baptism that is recognized by the Catholic Church. For example, the Catholic Church recognizes Anglican, Eastern Orthodox, Lutheran, or even Methodist or Presbyterian baptism.

Since Meghan was not baptized, it is unlikely that she could have been a godmother in any mainstream church. That is why I wonder if the Palace’s statement that some of the bridesmaids are her goddaughters is factually wrong. Maybe they are referring to some kind of “secular baptism” that is not baptism as understood in mainstream Christianity.
  #4744  
Old 05-16-2018, 07:04 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
Honestly, since 3 of the kids are Mulroney's, it wouldn't surprise me if Jessica is assisting with the kids (or Benita or both), but just are not named in the party.

Expecting 5 year olds or a 7 year old to behave at this kind of event is wishful thinking in my experience.
I would agree on depending on 7 year olds, but yea I don’t know how they are gonna work this out. Speaking of being in charge of the kids, I recall that KP said the kids will ride over to the Chapel with Meghan. Is it safe to assume that they’ll be in a different car?
  #4745  
Old 05-16-2018, 07:05 AM
crm2317's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Belfast, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
When I think of cousins, I think of people like Zara Tindall and Lady Kitty Spencer. While I’m surprised about Freddie and Ella, I think it’s not odd to think that someone would invite those they know socially instead of their second and third cousins. I don’t even know who is my second or third cousin. At that point, it’s pretty far.


Exactly! Zara, Peter, Kitty and Eliza are cousins. Davina Lewis or Lord Downpatrick are the Queen’s cousins children and grandchildren.
__________________
God Save the House of Windsor
  #4746  
Old 05-16-2018, 07:10 AM
LadyGlendower's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: City of Light, France
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I would agree on depending on 7 year olds, but yea I don’t know how they are gonna work this out. Speaking of being in charge of the kids, I recall that KP said the kids will ride over to the Chapel with Meghan. Is it safe to assume that they’ll be in a different car?
pandemonium
  #4747  
Old 05-16-2018, 07:16 AM
O-H Anglophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I am so glad Meghan's side wasn't forgotten in this selection.

Yes, the oldest children are seven, the youngest two. Perhaps a couple of the mums have volunteered to corall the younger ones and make sure they don't play up, like Kate at Pippa's wedding? In my mind's eye I can still see William, aged four, at the York wedding...
And the Queen running after him

There has to be an adult (or two or three) directing the children. A group that large and that young could be chaos.
  #4748  
Old 05-16-2018, 07:24 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,633
I can't believe the extended royal cousins weren't invited. What is the reasoning when they also appear on the balcony for the Trooping the Color? I hope this is just another ridiculous rumor.

As for someone walking her down the aisle --- I'm inclined to believe it will be the POW.

Looking forward to Saturday!
  #4749  
Old 05-16-2018, 07:29 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Somewhere in, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,184
I think Doria will walk her down the aisle. No reason to have anyone else do it.

This bridal party sounds like an adorable chaos. Cant wait! 3 days!
  #4750  
Old 05-16-2018, 07:31 AM
O-H Anglophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317 View Post
Exactly! Zara, Peter, Kitty and Eliza are cousins. Davina Lewis or Lord Downpatrick are the Queen’s cousins children and grandchildren.
The Phillips and Spencers are some of Harry's first cousins but the Kents and Gloucesters are still Harry's cousins. He may see some of the Kents & Gloucesters more often than his Uncle Charles and his children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
When I think of cousins, I think of people like Zara Tindall and Lady Kitty Spencer. While I’m surprised about Freddie and Ella, I think it’s not odd to think that someone would invite those they know socially instead of their second and third cousins. I don’t even know who is my second or third cousin. At that point, it’s pretty far.
But unlike you, Harry does know his second and third cousins and has attended milestone events with them all their lives. So not inviting is odd.
  #4751  
Old 05-16-2018, 07:36 AM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
Some times folks are Godparents and it has nothing to do with organized religion.

One of my Godmothers is not Catholic (I am), but is still my Godmother. I actually know a lot of people who name folks their kids' Godparents and it having nothing to do with a formal religious ceremony, just a role people play in folks lives.
Same. It isn't always a religion thing but more a spiritual/emotional thing. I am "godparent" to my best friend's sons. That is an agreement between us that I love them as my own and if anything were to happen to her I would raise them as my own. I would imagine that is similar to how Meghan and Benita are as she always referred to the girls as her "Fairy goddaughters."
  #4752  
Old 05-16-2018, 07:38 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,527
After years of watching Harry with children and how much he just connects with them, I can't imagine his wedding without that element of cuteness overload and Harry and Meghan are not going to disappoint us.

Its a very well rounded selection of kids and I imagine they are going to have a blast with this wedding with absolutely no chance of putting any of them down for a nap. Can't wait for the pictures.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #4753  
Old 05-16-2018, 07:47 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Lewisville, United States
Posts: 844
Lots of people have godparents who aren't religious. In some cultures, godparents mostly agree to step in if something happens to the parents. My son's godparents are Protestants. My daughter's are my (athiest) sister and her (Catholic) husband.
  #4754  
Old 05-16-2018, 07:56 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
Lots of people have godparents who aren't religious. In some cultures, godparents mostly agree to step in if something happens to the parents. My son's godparents are Protestants. My daughter's are my (athiest) sister and her (Catholic) husband.
Theoretically, one should not pick a non-religious or atheist person to be a godparent in a Christian baptism, but I admit parents often do that. My point was though that, whether the person is an atheist or not, he/she still has to have been baptized or else the priest won’t allow him/her to serve as a godparent in the actual ceremony.

In Meghan’s case, I am understanding from the replies of other posters that her being a godmother may be some kind of “non-official” arrangement with the girls’ parents, or we may be talking of some kind of secular baptism. I still find it odd though.
  #4755  
Old 05-16-2018, 08:05 AM
Zaira's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: A, United States
Posts: 1,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
A Catholic child can have a non-Catholic godparent, but the godparent has to provide proof, as I said, of a valid baptism, i. e. a baptism that is recognized by the Catholic Church. For example, the Catholic Church recognizes Anglican, Eastern Orthodox, Lutheran, or even Methodist or Presbyterian baptism.

Since Meghan was not baptized, it is unlikely that she could have been a godmother in any mainstream church. That is why I wonder if the Palace’s statement that some of the bridesmaids are her goddaughters is factually wrong. Maybe they are referring to some kind of “secular baptism” that is not baptism as understood in mainstream Christianity.

I think you perhaps take a more formal approach than many do.

And “mainstream” Christianity? Idk about that. A lot of folks, at least in the US, are members of non-denominational churches ie Vineyards or AOG affiliates who have no formal requirements for who can be a sponsor for dedication (kind of the equivalent or Christening in many churches). And in the black Baptist Church or AME, it also isn’t as strict.

So what is normal for some doesn’t make it mainstream at all. At least in my experience. I am the Godmother to 4 kids and even in the Catholic ceremony, I was not asked for proof of baptism nor was anyone else by the priest. In fact he asked no questions at all about the backgrounds of the Godparents. YMMV.
  #4756  
Old 05-16-2018, 08:09 AM
Nico's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 2,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
I can't believe the extended royal cousins weren't invited. What is the reasoning when they also appear on the balcony for the Trooping the Color? I hope this is just another ridiculous rumor.
To be fair it was already the case for the wedding of Charles and Camilla back in 2005 : no invitation for the extented members of the familly ( aka Gloucesters and Kents children and grandchildren, Except James Ogilvy, a close friend to Charles) : the reason given at that time was the reduced scale of the event and more seats dedicated to friends.
  #4757  
Old 05-16-2018, 08:16 AM
Ista's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 3,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
I think you perhaps take a more formal approach than many do.

And “mainstream” Christianity? Idk about that. A lot of folks, at least in the US, are members of non-denominational churches ie Vineyards or AOG affiliates who have no formal requirements for who can be a sponsor for dedication (kind of the equivalent or Christening in many churches). And in the black Baptist Church or AME, it also isn’t as strict.

So what is normal for some doesn’t make it mainstream at all. At least in my experience. I am the Godmother to 4 kids and even in the Catholic ceremony, I was not asked for proof of baptism nor was anyone else by the priest. In fact he asked no questions at all about the backgrounds of the Godparents. YMMV.
When we chose godparents for our daughters in the Episcopal Church, we were told that the only requirement was that the sponsors/godparents had to have been baptized, but they were not required to provide proof. This was over 30 years ago, so I'm not sure if that has changed in the interim.

With the youngest bridesmaid being 2, and the oldest children being 7, I foresee lots of small children wandering off into the side aisles, fingers up noses, and startled bursts of tears.

Should be wonderful, and I can't wait for Saturday!

Addendum: What on earth were they thinking not to have an older bridesmaid to shepherd the youngest ones along?
  #4758  
Old 05-16-2018, 08:41 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
To be fair it was already the case for the wedding of Charles and Camilla back in 2005 : no invitation for the extented members of the familly ( aka Gloucesters and Kents children and grandchildren, Except James Ogilvy, a close friend to Charles) : the reason given at that time was the reduced scale of the event and more seats dedicated to friends.
I understand that Harry probably donsn't know older cousins like Helen Taylor or younger ones like Amelia Windsor very well but he grew up with the 3 Gloucester children and Freddie and Ella Windsor and to have added them and their spouses would have accounted for a mere 8 more guests.Bearing in mind there is a surplus of 200 would it really have hurt to ask them? They seem very 'precious' about all of this just as William was. Edward and Sophie and Peter and Autumn had weddings at Windsor and it was straightforward ie the full extended family for E and S, younger members of the extended family there for Peter (just as the older Charles asked the older members ) and all guests at the reception, none of this "oh so and so can't come" or "so and so can come to this part but not that part". IMO they're making it much more complicated than it has to be and are probably offending lots of people in the process.
  #4759  
Old 05-16-2018, 08:44 AM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 12,971
Please note that posts discussing the mood of race relations in the US have been deleted as off topic and political.

Let's stay on topic.
__________________
.

  #4760  
Old 05-16-2018, 08:59 AM
csw csw is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Columbus, United States
Posts: 561
Not inviting some of the Windsor relatives refutes Sam's claim that all family must be invited. Sam not only claimed half-sibs "must be invited" but that cousins, nieces, and nephews should be on the list. hmm. guess not.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings soapstar The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family 3909 11-27-2017 05:10 AM




Popular Tags
abu dhabi america archie mountbatten-windsor background story baptism biography british british royal family buckingham palace camilla camilla's family camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing chinese commonwealth countries countess of snowdon customs daisy doge of venice doll duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex edward vii elizabeth ii family life family tree fashion and style george vi gustaf vi adolf harry and meghan hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume highgrove jack brooksbank jewellery king edward vii king willem-alexander książ castle line of succession list of rulers meghan markle mountbatten names nepal nepalese royal jewels plantinum jubilee prince charles of luxembourg prince constantijn prince harry princess ariane princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn princess chulabhorn walailak princess dita princess ribha queen consort queen louise queen maxima queen victoria royal ancestry spain speech suthida taiwan thailand unfinished portrait united states of america welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:27 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×