The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 02:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Maybe its just me but I kind of thought that once in the UK, Doria and Tom, Sr. would attend things and generally keep each other company. I've never had the impression that their divorce wasn't anything but amicable and they've shared family vacations and holidays together with Meghan since the divorce.

That's just my thinking though.

Old 05-15-2018, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
I don't understand why anyone has to walk her down the aisle in this day-and-age. She is a modern woman and no one has to give her away. I have been to weddings of divorced women that walked beautifully down alone. If they really wanted a modern, lets not have a traditional wedding or formal "sit-down" luncheon affair, they could easily get away with that. What ever, it will all turn out fine
I think these days and in particular for Meghan it would just be nice for a bride to have someone accompany her down the aisle - just as the bridegroom has his bestman to make that nerve-wracking journey to the alter.

With regard to Tom Sr's latest "association" with TMZ, I do rather think he should be telling all this to Meghan or the Palace so that the matter can be resolved quickly, arrangements made for his travel etc and then we can all get on with it.

I really don't mind if he attends or he doesn't - just make a final decision, tell those who NEED to know (i.e. his daughter and the Palace) and stick with the plan.

Old 05-15-2018, 02:56 PM
Aristocracy

I suppose this would go here - https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity...s-see-the-pic/

Just a small ray of sunshine in this debacle. The lemons look very pretty and summery. Should be a delicious cake.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:56 PM
Heir Apparent

I'd rather discuss something else.
There was an article about the flowers being shifted from the shop Meghan is using.

IF those are the wedding flowers, then they are mostly white and pale pink.
The little bridesmaids would look charming in pink dresses.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Disagree. Her friends and mother are all there for her. Having Charles walk her down the aisle is a nice way to show how accepted she is by the BRF.
I forgot the royal bride who was walked down aisle by her FIL who was king at the time. It can be a sign that said bride is fully accepted.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:14 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I forgot the royal bride who was walked down aisle by her FIL who was king at the time. It can be a sign that said bride is fully accepted.

Sonja Haraldsen was walked down the aisle by King Olav V, I think.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:16 PM
Heir Apparent

"He's now saying he's had a change of heart, and yes he does want to travel to England to walk his daughter down the aisle" - @victoriaarbiter reports on the latest developments surrounding Thomas Markle, Meghan's father #RoyalWedding https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/15/europ...ntl/index.html
CNN Newsroom
Old 05-15-2018, 03:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
... is that even before this week’s issues, no plan had been made for someone (ideally his diplomat brother) to accompany Mr. Markle on his trip and to provide companionship and support during his stay in the U.K.

Are we to assume that an elderly man with a very low-key lifestyle was going to fly alone on a 12 hour flight, not including home to airport and pre flight time, and then to spend several days in a hotel or other place without any companionship other than the few minutes his daughter could spare?

Sounds cruel and unusual to me. I don’t believe he ever intended/was intended to come.
I agree that this whole scenario seems odd.

The only thing I really disagree with is the diplomat brother--isn't he the one who told the media where his brother lived?

I don't know what I think about the situation described in your last sentence.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:21 PM
Aristocracy

I'm very skeptical about her father having a heart attack - I think he may have had a panic attack (which can feel just like a heart attack). As well, I think he may have a phobia of flying/crowds and anxiety. If this is the case, I'm have some sympathy for him, having had a panic attack and anxiety myself years ago.

However, I'm appalled by the way he's handled it. He should be talking to his daughter and the palace - not repeatedly talking to TMZ. He's made the situation worse and shown a lack of judgement. (I'm also appalled by his statements about being part of history - his focus should be on his daughter's happiness which he's hurt.) Whether or not he intentionally hurt her (and I have mixed feelings about that), he certainly has hurt her and caused a lot of problems for her, Prince Harry and the Royal Family. If he was my father, I'd be deeply disappointed in his very poor judgement.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
That was Sonja Haraldsen on her wedding to Crown Prince Harald of Norway. King Olav had refused to give his permission to the marriage for 9 years before relenting when Harald said he wouldn't marry anyone else.
Olav and Fredrika of Greece had intended for him to marry one of her daughters.
The marriage was debated in Parliament but it wasn't until after Harald's ultimatum that Olav realised that the marriage would have popular support and gave his permission.
The reason for Olav not supporting the marriage wasn't that he didn't like Sonja but that he did not believe that the Norwegian people would support an unequal match and because he didn't believe in royals marrying commoners. Both he, his wife Märtha and his father, then King Haakon VII, were totally against the marriage between their daughter Ragnhild and Erling Lorentzen. His other daughter Astrid has later said that she never believed that she would get permission to marry her husband Johan Martin Ferner.
Since Sonja's father was dead he offered to walk her down the aisle both to welcome her into the family and to show that he supported the marriage.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:46 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EloisevonLippe View Post
https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity...s-see-the-pic/

Just a small ray of sunshine in this debacle. The lemons look very pretty and summery. Should be a delicious cake.
They look wonderful. The lemons from Sorrento, Italy (as these lemons are) are world famous - the liqueur Limoncello is made from them. Sorrento is a beautiful coastal town although it has been many years since I visited it.

More about Sorrento lemons.
http://www.specialtyproduce.com/prod...emons_4780.php
Old 05-15-2018, 04:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

It would be sweet if Charles could walk Meghan up the aisle should Doria not do that honor. It would be a definite shout out that Meghan is family and that they have her back and support her when she needs it.
I hope Prince Charles walks her down the aisle. It would be a great way for the next monarch to send a message that Meghan is now one of us--us being the BRF. It would also be great if there was some type of public gesture made toward Doria during the wedding letting the world know (as well as the loony toon Markles) that Doria is considered family too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EloisevonLippe View Post
Interesting how he seems more excited at the possibility of being a part of history than of walking his daughter down the aisle.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:14 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I hope Prince Charles walks her down the aisle. It would be a great way for the next monarch to send a message that Meghan is now one of us--us being the BRF. It would also be great if there was some type of public gesture made toward Doria during the wedding letting the world know (as well as the loony toon Markles) that Doria is considered family too.
I agree. It would definitely send a strong message to everyone.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Another update!

Meghan Markle's Dad Thomas to Undergo Heart Surgery and Can't Attend Wedding | TMZ.com

Seriously? SERIOUSLY? Poor Meghan. I just can not with this family.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:19 PM
Nobility

I think Thomas is banned from attending the wedding. That's why he said he is not going.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Another update!

Meghan Markle's Dad Thomas to Undergo Heart Surgery and Can't Attend Wedding | TMZ.com

Seriously? SERIOUSLY? Poor Meghan. I just can not with this family.
Well, at least that settles the issue and provides an excuse to Mr Markle to save face. I wish him all the best in his surgery and that he makes a full recovery.

Meanwhile, Meghan can move on with the wedding plans. I think her mother will give her away,
Old 05-15-2018, 05:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
Maybe he was the one blocking this meeting, not Meghan and Harry. Maybe Meghan and her father aren't that close. It really isn't that odd, families grow apart due to distance and lack of effort. Maybe Sr had cancelled a few meetings, and then felt too embarrassed to meet up. It happens.
That could also be the case and would lead to the same conclusion: they are not close.

It's just really hard to imagine that they are close but didn't manage to meet in the last year and a half while Meghan had someone extremely important to introduce.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
That could also be the case and would lead to the same conclusion: they are not close.

It's just really hard to imagine that they are close but didn't manage to meet in the last year and a half while Meghan had someone extremely important to introduce.
I haven't seen my father in three years. And it's not unusual for us. We just happen to lead different lives. Doesn't mean we aren't close or have contact.

Bottom line is, after all of this blew up. Meghan and Harry are still asking for respect and understanding for her father. You simply don't do that if you aren't that close.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:25 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I haven't seen my father in three years. And it's not unusual for us. We just happen to lead different lives. Doesn't mean we aren't close or have contact.

Bottom line is, after all of this blew up. Meghan and Harry are still asking for respect and understanding for her father. You simply don't do that if you aren't that close.

If they were close, she would have introduced her future husband to her dad.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
I don't understand why anyone has to walk her down the aisle in this day-and-age. She is a modern woman and no one has to give her away. I have been to weddings of divorced women that walked beautifully down alone. If they really wanted a modern, lets not have a traditional wedding or formal "sit-down" luncheon affair, they could easily get away with that. What ever, it will all turn out fine
If they use the same liturgy as William and Catherine, the giving away is part of the ceremony, so I'm curious to see whether this liturgy is used. I would hope that Doria can be the one to give away - in Catherine's case it was her father who put her hand in William's.

Closed Thread