Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Edward and Sophie did tennis cake toppers on their cake, so flags would not be too out there. Might be a cute touch.

Do we know if Harry likes fruit cake? I don’t think I’ve ever heard a cake preference from Meghan before, so she might not care that much about the cake flavor.

:previous: No, we have no idea on preference on either.

But there is a good chance Meghan has a very American opinion on 'fruit cake' which tends to be similar to Canadian. Which is 'it makes a nice door stopper' and it is the gift you keep regifting at Christmas.

Its pretty common to choose a flavor, especially if you don't have a personal preference, to choose a flavor you know most guests will gravitate to.

I have read "groom's cake" a couple of times here. I have never heard of it, can someone explain what it is?

I have read "groom's cake" a couple of times here. I have never heard of it, can someone explain what it is?

It's a second cake served at the wedding or another time during the wedding celebration (ie. rehearsal dinner). It started as a stronger flavor for the "stronger sex". However, these days, it's pretty much just an alternative flavor to the wedding cake.

If the decision on the wedding cake were left to me, I'd declare that the wedding cake would be cheesecake with a decadent red raspberry topping. Can't go wrong with cheesecake. And for the groom's cake, chocolate cheesecake of course. All grooms need a wee bit of cheesecake at their wedding celebrations. :whistling:

All grooms need a wee bit of cheesecake at their wedding celebrations. :whistling:
:lol::lol::lol:

I can always count on you Osipi to brighten this site with a little humor. And on a Monday morning, I especially appreciate it.?

Well Edward and Sophie did tennis cake toppers on their cake, so flags would not be too out there. Might be a cute touch.

They also had devil's food cake, so as not to subject their guests to choking down gross fruitcake!

It's a second cake served at the wedding or another time during the wedding celebration (ie. rehearsal dinner). It started as a stronger flavor for the "stronger sex". However, these days, it's pretty much just an alternative flavor to the wedding cake.

Ah, interesting information. Thanks :flowers:

Is fruitcake perhaps made differently in Britain, so maybe it tastes better then what we have in the US? Because I can tell you that fruitcake has a very poor reputation here in the US. It's almost seen as a joke. Something you give someone at Christmas that you don't like very much! LOL! Anyway, I see no reason why they can't have different layers with different flavors. Cover all their bases. And I love butter cream icing. Just love it. But I get why people use fondant. It holds up better and you can do more with it.

I grew up in the Southern US, where everyone’s mother or grandmother made fruitcake, either dark or light, sometimes both. After reading all the comments about fruitcake, I HAD to have some, so I put in an order on amazon for British Christmas cake. Hope I’m not disappointed��.

Well fruitcake is certainly popular in my neck of the woods. A thick slice with a hot cup of tea can’t be beat.

I grew up in the Southern US, where everyone’s mother or grandmother made fruitcake, either dark or light, sometimes both. After reading all the comments about fruitcake, I HAD to have some, so I put in an order on amazon for British Christmas cake. Hope I’m not disappointed��.

Where in the south are people eating fruitcake? I'm Southern, too, and have never heard anything but disdain for them!

:previous:
Around Christmas someone always makes fruitcake.
And always says, Mine is different! (It isn't).
Even though you hate fruitcake, you'll like mine! (You won't).

But then you have to try it just to be polite. It's awful, yet I had a relative who adored it, so...a matter of taste.

I was a total coward for my wedding; I chose a marble cake! :lol:

Where in the south are people eating fruitcake? I'm Southern, too, and have never heard anything but disdain for them!

Well, perhaps no one else’s grandma had as good a recipe as mine! Lots of Louisiana pecans make anything taste pretty good.

Fruitcake is amazing! :flowers: I grew up with it. There were always those who loved it and those who hated it.

It's a political thing. ;)

British fruitcake is very very rich, made with a lot of fruit, candied peel, nuts and loads of booze! It's extremely moist and not at all dry. I quite like it, but it's not everybody's cup of tea, whereas not many people dislike sponge, hence our choice of sponge. Funnily enough I hate anything with raisins or sultanas in, and my pet hate is currants in scones, sacrilege! But lots of fruit together in a rich fruit cake, like a Dundee cake, with plenty of cherries and nuts, I do like.

An EMBOSSED plain white 'stiffy' [as invitations are properly nicknamed here] generally 6ins x3ins with simple legible script [in black], and [most likely] the Queens Cipher in gold upon it. Without other images.. no Bells, no Ribbons or anything else.
Generally the Brides parents send out the invitations in their name, since [traditionally] it is they that cough up, but obviously not in this instance. I imagine it will say-

'The Lord Chamberlain is commanded by the Queen to invite .... etc, etc...'

Last edited:
Do you think the wedding cake will have a lot of flower designs on it?

British fruitcake is very very rich, made with a lot of fruit, candied peel, nuts and loads of booze! It's extremely moist and not at all dry. I quite like it, but it's not everybody's cup of tea, whereas not many people dislike sponge, hence our choice of sponge. Funnily enough I hate anything with raisins or sultanas in, and my pet hate is currants in scones, sacrilege! But lots of fruit together in a rich fruit cake, like a Dundee cake, with plenty of cherries and nuts, I do like.

Ah, I see. Then very different from the fruitcake I am familiar with. :flowers: Candied fruit, nuts, maybe liquor (not a given) and moist but not overwhelmingly so in any category. So different, I think, while still similar.

Last edited:
Candied fruit, nuts, maybe liquor (not a given) and moist but not overwhelmingly so in any category

British Fruit cakes are made often MONTHS in advance of the Celebration [and it is THE traditional] celebratory cake here, are 'fed' with Brandy once a week until they are Marzipaned and Iced [with Royal Icing made of Icing Sugar and Egg whites] about a week before eating. Consequently they can be very BOOZY, but since it is so rich, slices are small and that isn't generally a problem.

Last edited:
Does anyone know where Sophie stayed the night before her wedding? She was married at St Georges as well. Catherine stayed at the Goring. I’m wondering where Meghan and her family will stay.

Sophie and her family stayed at Royal Lodge the night before her wedding. At that time of course it was the home of the Queen Mother. Nevertheless, Harry is close to the Yorks, especially his cousins, and it could be used again for Meghan and her parents.

British Fruit cakes are made often MONTHS in advance of the Celebration [and it is THE traditional] celebratory cake here, are 'fed' with Brandy once a week until they are Marzipaned and Iced [with Royal Icing made of Icing Sugar and Egg whites] about a week before eating. Consequently they can be very BOOZY, but since it is so rich, slices are small and that isn't generally a problem.

WOW! :ermm: No, I've not seen nor eaten anything even remotely approaching that. Our fruitcakes are much more tame. Definitely more common without liquor, in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom