Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love that version as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should have heard Pavarotti's version of it.

Almost sublime.

Me too. For those who may not know, Pavarotti sang Schubert's version of Ave Maria (Schubert was a composer/arranger) so it should be wonderful and hopefully the singer will do it justice.

So if it is the modern rite, I assume there is no “who brings this woman to marry this man’” line then ?

Are they using Harry and Meghan also in the actual wedding vows ? That is weird.

Yes Harry/Meghan is what the order of service is showing.

LaRae

Can anyone tell what song Meghan is walking down the aisle to?

Did anyone else notice for the Intoit (after the trumpet fanfare at the start of the procession), the trumpeteer will be "Mr. David Blackadder"? (That made me smile). The Intoit will be Handel which I love.

(In Anglican liturgy. In the Anglican Communion, Introit is the name given to the hymn or metrical psalm which is sung at the start of a service, a tradition which dates back to the reign of Queen Elizabeth I of England.)

Can anyone tell what song Meghan is walking down the aisle to?

This is what is says
"At the entrance of the Bride, all stand.
A fanfare will sound at the Bride’s arrival.
The Bride, having been greeted by the Dean of Windsor, moves in procession
through the Nave where she is joined by her Father, Mr Thomas Markle (obviously changed to Prince Charles), to the High Altar. The Bridegroom and his Best Man await.

INTROIT
Performed by the Orchestra and Ms Elin Manahan Thomas (Soprano) with
Mr David Blackadder (Trumpet).

ETERNAL source of light divine,
With double warmth thy beams display,
And with distinguished glory shine,
To add a lustre to this day.
George Frederick Handel (1685–1759)

All remain standing.
At the High Altar, The Dean of Windsor greets the congregation."

So if it is the modern rite, I assume there is no “who brings this woman to marry this man’” line then ?

No. After they make their vows, the line is:

"WILL you, the families and friends of HARRY and MEGHAN, support
and uphold them in their marriage now and in the years to come?

All answer
We will."

This is from the modern rite I used for my own Anglican wedding 33 years ago. I suppose it is more modern than the Book of Common Prayer but it's been around for quite a while and is often chosen. I like it much better myself.

Early Friday morning I heard an announcement on the radio. Prince Charles will walk Miss Meghan down the aisle. It was good to learn that the situation of who would walk the bride had been solved.

I’ll be recording the BBC World News Coverage. Just best to record those who know what they’re talking about.

No. After they make their vows, the line is:

"WILL you, the families and friends of HARRY and MEGHAN, support
and uphold them in their marriage now and in the years to come?

All answer
We will."

This is from the modern rite I used for my own Anglican wedding 33 years ago. I like it much better myself.

Your response didn't answer that quote. The giving away comes before the vows so they don't really have any correlation if that line comes after, unless I am missing something.

Your response didn't answer that quote. The giving away comes before the vows so they don't really have any correlation if that line comes after, unless I am missing something.

It doesn’t matter really. I have read the entire order of service now and indeed there is no “give away the bride” line. And that line about the family and friends promising to support the newly weds was not part of William and Kate’s service or any other (televised ) British royal wedding either for that matter.

They have really made good in the promise of a “different” and modern ceremony. William and Kate’s wedding was very traditional in comparison.. Somehow, I don’t think the British posters will be shocked though as that was expected from this couple.

The answer is no. It's been optional for many years.

According to the Church of England website, at the bottom of the page (Notes on to the Marriage Service) it says (asterixes are mine)

"6 ‘Giving Away’

This traditional ceremony is optional. Immediately before the couple exchange vows (here here), the minister *may* ask:

Who brings this woman to be married to this man?

The bride’s father (or mother, or another member of her family or a friend representing the family) gives the bride’s right hand to the minister who puts it in the bridegroom’s right hand. *Alternatively, after the bride and bridegroom have made their Declarations*, the minister *may* ask the parents of bride and bridegroom in these or similar words*:

N and N have declared their intention towards each other.
As their parents, will you now entrust your son and daughter to one another as they come to be married?

Both sets of parents respond:
We will."

(This is what I remembered, a form of the line I quoted did exist in the earlier services but like the "who gives...?", it is also optional).

https://www.churchofengland.org/pra...p-texts-and-resources/common-worship/marriage

There are 3 approved forms of words for the marriage service in the Church of England:
The Book of Common Prayer (the oldest - 1662), Alternative Services: Series One (which William and Catherine used) and this one, formally called "The Marriage Service from Common Worship" aka "Modern Rite". It was formally approved in the Church of England in 2000 (although I used it in 1985 in the Canadian Anglican church.) A couple may select any of these 3 rites, it's their choice. Holy Communion is also optional.

BTW, Anglicans/Church of England/Episcopalians have never said "I do". The correct phrase has always been "I will."

Last edited:
Oh gosh...no. I must be the only person on the planet who does not like that song. I especially don't like the idea of it at St George's....:sad:
I admit I am taken aback by the idea of that song being sung, I love pop music but think it should be left out of church.

Last edited:
Did I miss the name of the music the bride will walk down the aisle with?

I admit I am taken aback by the idea of that song being sung, I love pop music but think it should be left out of church.

What about “This Little Light of Mine” as a recessional ? It is a very nice song , but it will feel a bit like “Joyful, Joyful” at CP and Sofia’s wedding, especially depending on the arrangement they use. I wonder if there will be clapping too.

Anyway, congratulations to the Forum posters who actually suggested that song for the wedding a long time ago. Maybe Harry and Meghan were reading it !

Last edited:
I don't know about music in the Anglican Church in England but here in the United States, many churches use a combination of traditional hymns, classical music and popular music for services these days.

Prince Henry and Meghan will sign the register. Who are the other people who will sign the register?

Prince Henry and Meghan will sign the register. Who are the other people who will sign the register?

I don't think we know yet. The service just says "those who are signing the registers."

I don't quite remember, but in 2011 I think we only found out at the time.

Two adult witnesses of their choice (William will probably be one) and (I think, other posters correct me if I'm wrong), the Dean of Windsor. He is the clergy that will greet Meghan at the beginning of the procession. (Usually the minister of the particular church where the wedding is performed signs it.)

St. George's Chapel is a bit unusual in that it is a "Royal Peculiar", under the direct jurisdiction of the Queen unlike most C of E churches that are in a diocese - a district under a bishop. Does anyone know if this means the Queen will also sign the register?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_George's_Chapel

Last edited:
Am I correct: You can watch the Royal Wedding on Youtube - The Royal Channel?

For forum posters who follow other royal families, this wedding will be a lot like Carl Philip's and Sophia's in Sweden, with the combination of traditional music and soul.
I like the choice of the modern wording of the service, because the exchanging of rings and the blessing, do really use some beautiful words. I am a bit disappointed that they didn't go for their full name, except at the beginning of the service, but reading the whole order of service I have the feeling they wanted to keep the ceremony as much personal and intimate as possible, despite the location and the crowd gathered outside.

Link to the PDF of the Order of Service (just released).

This order of service is the Church of England's current default marriage service.

The Marriage Service

An alternative service was used for the Cambridge wedding and, if I am not mistaken, for previous British royal weddings.

A Form of Solemnization of Matrimony (Alternative Services: Series One) | The Church of England

Some of the differences between the two services:

1. The default order of service has the bride giving a wedding ring to the groom as an option.
2. The alternative order of service has the bride vowing to obey the groom as an option.
3. Giving away the bride is optional in the default service, but it is mandatory in the alternative service.

The Coptic Orthodox Archbishop of London will also be part of the clergy.

I wonder why?

For forum posters who follow other royal families, this wedding will be a lot like Carl Philip's and Sophia's in Sweden, with the combination of traditional music and soul.
I like the choice of the modern wording of the service, because the exchanging of rings and the blessing, do really use some beautiful words. I am a bit disappointed that they didn't go for their full name, except at the beginning of the service, but reading the whole order of service I have the feeling they wanted to keep the ceremony as much personal and intimate as possible, despite the location and the crowd gathered outside.

I definitely got that vibe from the program when I read it. I have to say I find the choices more appropriate for this wedding due to incorporating Meghan’s American heritage. I didn’t understand where it fit into a Swedish Royal Wedding. JMO of course.

I definitely got that vibe from the program when I read it. I have to say I find the choices more appropriate for this wedding due to incorporating Meghan’s American heritage. I didn’t understand where it fit into a Swedish Royal Wedding. JMO of course.

That was quite random, maybe Sofia was a big fan of Sister Act growing up ?

This order of service is the Church of England's current default marriage service.

The Marriage Service

An alternative service was used for the Cambridge wedding and, if I am not mistaken, for previous British royal weddings.

A Form of Solemnization of Matrimony (Alternative Services: Series One) | The Church of England

Some of the differences between the two services:

1. The default order of service has the bride giving a wedding ring to the groom as an option.
2. The alternative order of service has the bride vowing to obey the groom as an option.
3. Giving away the bride is optional in the default service, but it is mandatory in the alternative service.

I wonder why?

It was customary in other British royal ceremonies to have visiting clergy from other Churches such as the Cardinal Archbishop of Westminster representing the Roman Catholic Church, the Moderator of the Church of Scotland, representatives from the Free Churches in England, etc. I don’t know if a Coptic Archbishop was present in any previous wedding, but it may be a form of acknowledging the persecution of Coptic Christians including the horrible beheading of Coptic Christians by ISIS militants , among them the infamous “Jihad Joe” from the UK.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom