The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #341  
Old 11-28-2017, 05:05 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 10,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2 View Post
Moonmaiden23

I highly doubt Donald Trump will be invited anywhere near this wedding, as he's on record, and recorded on live radio as saying about the groom's mother, Diana, Princess of Wales, "I could have nailed her" And then joking he'd "make her take an AIDS test first!"

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/454685...fter-she-died/
Oh God. tihkon2 I had almost successfully managed to forget that those were the words that once came out of the mouth of the duly elected Pres. of the US.

Thanks for the jolt.
__________________

__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
  #342  
Old 11-28-2017, 05:11 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,835
ITV News Video:
A Windsor Royal Wedding-
St George's Chapel in Windsor to be venue for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's May 2018 wedding - ITV News
__________________

__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #343  
Old 11-28-2017, 05:20 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
My goodness the front of St George's is just stunning....the pics you can get there!


LaRae
  #344  
Old 11-28-2017, 05:24 PM
LadyGlendower's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: City of Light, France
Posts: 268
Well, this whole protocol thing really sucks the wind right out of my Madeliene/Chris sails Here I was thinking HM knows Carl Gustaf and Silvia and she sent Sophie, so Silvia would send Maddy to London and she could stay at BP and everything would work out for MEEE!

Aren't they all related, after all----it's a FAMILY wedding, not a court wedding. that's the ticket!
  #345  
Old 11-28-2017, 05:25 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I get your point, Jacqui, but, at this point, Harry is only a grandson of the British monarch and, unlike William, he is not in direct line to the throne.. His situation therefore is not comparable even to Andrew's, or Madeleine's, or Carl Philip's, who were all sons or daughter of a reigning monarch when they got married. That is why I don't expect official court-to-court invitations.
I realize from a technical standpoint that he's not the son of a monarch, however an argument is to be made that the situation with BRF is rather unique in itself and unprecedented. I do think there is still that courtesy element to it and their society has its own way of function and consider what is polite and not.
  #346  
Old 11-28-2017, 05:40 PM
loonytick's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tennessee, United States
Posts: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I get your point, Jacqui, but, at this point, Harry is only a grandson of the British monarch and, unlike William, he is not in direct line to the throne.. His situation therefore is not comparable even to Andrew's, or Madeleine's, or Carl Philip's, who were all sons or daughter of a reigning monarch when they got married. That is why I don't expect official court-to-court invitations.
That's a good point. However, they are starting to send Harry out on visits to other monarchs (he was just in Denmark doing photocalls with Margarethe and Joachim) and all signs point to having him do more of that. So while his position in the line of precedence doesn't call for the BRF to extend court-to-court invitations, his role may make them seem like a good move.

Part of it may be how they feel like this wedding plays into the Brexit charm offensive, too. Do they invite European royals as a show of friendliness to European neighbors, or do they avoid it because the Brexit supporters at home might not like it?

It's not a state wedding or even a semi-state wedding, but it's not exactly a purely family wedding, either. There will always be some wrinkle of diplomacy involved when the couple in question are working for the Crown.
  #347  
Old 11-28-2017, 05:48 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 14,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
That's a good point. However, they are starting to send Harry out on visits to other monarchs (he was just in Denmark doing photocalls with Margarethe and Joachim) and all signs point to having him do more of that. So while his position in the line of precedence doesn't call for the BRF to extend court-to-court invitations, his role may make them seem like a good move.

Part of it may be how they feel like this wedding plays into the Brexit charm offensive, too. Do they invite European royals as a show of friendliness to European neighbors, or do they avoid it because the Brexit supporters at home might not like it?

It's not a state wedding or even a semi-state wedding, but it's not exactly a purely family wedding, either. There will always be some wrinkle of diplomacy involved when the couple in question are working for the Crown.
Harry visited Denmark in an official capacity, that on top of that also involved Danish citizens, so he was an official representative for his head of state, i.e. QEII and as such he was bound by courtesy and protocol to say hello to the Danish head of state, QMII. - He was after all on her turf.
  #348  
Old 11-28-2017, 05:49 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 6,034
I love the choice of Windsor. It means the event can be all inclusive and, yes folks, it will be fun!
__________________
"And the tabloid press will be a pain in the ass, as usual." - Royal Norway
  #349  
Old 11-28-2017, 05:56 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
My goodness the front of St George's is just stunning....the pics you can get there!


LaRae
I love everything about Windsor. I want to live at the castle and go to church every Sunday at St. George’s,
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #350  
Old 11-28-2017, 06:00 PM
loonytick's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tennessee, United States
Posts: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Harry visited Denmark in an official capacity, that on top of that also involved Danish citizens, so he was an official representative for his head of state, i.e. QEII and as such he was bound by courtesy and protocol to say hello to the Danish head of state, QMII. - He was after all on her turf.
Not all working royals do that. For quite some time now Andrew's international work for the family, for example, has seemed to primarily consist representing the UK at trade meetings without making courtesy visits to heads of state along the way. It was actually somewhat remarkable to see him at the Thai funeral because it seemed so strange to see him in that kind of a role anymore. I don't think Anne is making those sorts of visits very often when her work travels take her out of the UK. But Harry has a role that increasingly include representing QEII to the highest ranking people in the countries that he visits, and as such I'm theorizing that his role may be reason to invite other royals to his wedding.
  #351  
Old 11-28-2017, 06:00 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
Not all working royals do that. For quite some time now Andrew's international work for the family, for example, has seemed to primarily consist representing the UK at trade meetings without making courtesy visits to heads of state along the way. It was actually somewhat remarkable to see him at the Thai funeral because it seemed so strange to see him in that kind of a role anymore. I don't think Anne is making those sorts of visits very often when her work travels take her out of the UK. But Harry has a role that increasingly include representing QEII to the highest ranking people in the countries that he visits, and as such I'm theorizing that his role may be reason to invite other royals to his wedding.
That goes back to the point I made that while he's not a child of monarch at this point in time, we all see the writing on the wall. The Queen is 91, and the transition to Charles has begun as she ages and can no longer take on some of the duties. And of course, William and Harry, as Charles' sons, are expected to take on more of those than Princess Anne or Prince Edward or Prince Andrew.
  #352  
Old 11-28-2017, 06:23 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 7,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Harry's best man could be his older godson Frederick Pettifer (he will be 17 next year).
And one of the page boys - the younger one, Jasper Dyer (6 next year).
Would not Prince William, Duke of Cambridge be the best man?
  #353  
Old 11-28-2017, 06:36 PM
Lisele's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Columbia, United States
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGlendower View Post
Well, this whole protocol thing really sucks the wind right out of my Madeliene/Chris sails Here I was thinking HM knows Carl Gustaf and Silvia and she sent Sophie, so Silvia would send Maddy to London and she could stay at BP and everything would work out for MEEE!

Aren't they all related, after all----it's a FAMILY wedding, not a court wedding. that's the ticket!
Good point - it is a family wedding. You know, Chris and Madeleine live in London.... so maybe... just maybe, they could represent Sweden ..... just wishful thinking...
  #354  
Old 11-28-2017, 06:42 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I love everything about Windsor. I want to live at the castle and go to church every Sunday at St. George’s,
Maybe they'll take lodgers!


LaRae
  #355  
Old 11-28-2017, 06:50 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Maybe they'll take lodgers!
Oh to be able to shapeshift into a corgi!
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #356  
Old 11-28-2017, 06:56 PM
O-H Anglophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,638
Since Harry and Meghan aren't paying for the wedding, I would guess that those who are paying also get to invite some guests.
  #357  
Old 11-28-2017, 06:57 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,310
That would be rather useful!


LaRae
  #358  
Old 11-28-2017, 07:06 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 7,602
From which royal residence or location will Meghan as the bride leave to travel to St. George's Chapel?
  #359  
Old 11-28-2017, 07:09 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades CA, United States
Posts: 4,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
From which royal residence or location will Meghan as the bride leave to travel to St. George's Chapel?
Highgrove?
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
  #360  
Old 11-28-2017, 07:16 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,533
Its a 1.5 hour drive from Highgrove to Windsor. My bet would be either London (but even that is really rather far and would potentially require a large police escort etc) or more likely the Castle itself. Prince Andrew is Harry's godfather so Harry may stay with him and Royal Lodge and Meghan could stay at the Castle, or she could stay at Bagshot or Royal Lodge and drive over.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings soapstar The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family 3909 11-27-2017 05:10 AM




Popular Tags
america archie mountbatten-windsor asia asian baptism british british royal family british royals camilla's family camilla parker bowles carolin china china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing chinese clarence house commonwealth countries crown jewels customs daisy doge of venice duchess of sussex duke of sussex elizabeth ii family tree fashion and style genetics george vi gradenigo gustaf vi adolf harry and meghan hello! highgrove history hochberg house of windsor jack brooksbank japan japan history jewellery kensington palace king edward vii king juan carlos książ castle liechtenstein lili mountbatten-windsor line of succession list of rulers luxembourg monarchist movements monarchists mongolia pless politics prince harry queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen victoria royal ancestry royalty of taiwan speech st edward suthida swedish queen taiwan thai royal family tradition unfinished portrait united states united states of america welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:47 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×