The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 01:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliec76 View Post
Absolutely! Gospel music is popular all over the world and in places with little to no black people. I know people who aren't even religious who love gospel music because they love the style and artistry. However gospel music is a very distinctly American style of music, as it can be traced to the 1700's and the black oral tradition and negro spirituals and eventually the blues (which is also a distinctly American form of music). I too was afraid of a possible "over correction" if you will regarding Meghan and her heritage, (both black and American) a feeling they'd have to basically ignore it in order to gain her acceptance. I'm glad to see that does not seem to be the case.

The pearl clutchers are going to pearl clutch. They were going to do that regardless.

(Listen if they sing Total Praise I will fall right out! That song never fails to move me.)

I am trying to not get too hyped about the gospel music selection, but if they do any of the songs mention that is a wrap for me, I will lose all sense lol.

My sisters all saw the music announcement and texted in our family group chat all excited lol as did my church choral director. Folks are pretty pleased with this wedding so far in my circles.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
*To be expected*, I suppose...
Why is that?

Old 04-24-2018, 01:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Why is that?
Because it is a part of the Bride's 'heritage' obviously...
Old 04-24-2018, 01:15 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
I am trying to not get too hyped about the gospel music selection, but if they do any of the songs mention that is a wrap for me, I will lose all sense lol.

My sisters all saw the music announcement and texted in our family group chat all excited lol as did my church choral director. Folks are pretty pleased with this wedding so far in my circles.
Agreed. I swear folks act like she's about to do "The Electric Slide" down the aisle. LOL! They will probably do one song. I could see them doing "Oh Happy Day" that's pretty popular at all kinds of weddings.

The fact is gospel music and black music and styles of worship have always been looked down on by certain segments of society. So the pearl clutching by some is no surprise. Glad to see that doesn't appear to apply to the Royal family.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliec76 View Post
Agreed. I swear folks act like she's about to do "The Electric Slide" down the aisle. LOL! They will probably do one song. I could see them doing "Oh Happy Day" that's pretty popular at all kinds of weddings.

The fact is gospel music and black music and styles of worship have always been looked down on by certain segments of society. So the pearl clutching by some is no surprise. Glad to see that doesn't appear to apply to the Royal family.
If they do not do the Cupid Shuffle, what's the point?
Old 04-24-2018, 01:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowVera View Post
Total Praise would be fantastic, it is more spiritual and would be a good fit and quiet down the pearl clutchers.

I like Every Praise by Hezekiah Walker also.
You can’t go wrong with music from, Hezekiah Walker, either. Either way, I know the music selections will be great.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-24-2018, 01:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
looked down on by certain segments of society. So the pearl clutching by some is no surprise.
Clearly you love to 'paint it so'.. the reality is that people adhere to, and are fond of their familiar traditions, and that applies to you, as much as it does to me and other members of the Church of England. And there is NOTHING wrong with that..
Old 04-24-2018, 01:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowVera View Post
The cellist also performed for Harry this past June. I love his personal touch with this wedding. I think the blending of old with new will make this an amazing wedding. Its a whole new world and the pearl clutchers will survive and get over it.
Totally agree! I would not be surprised if it is Prince Harry who chose the BRITISH gospel choir to perform as this again shows how his new wife to be will find a new home in a new yet very different British culture I also appreciate that this news came the day after the birth of baby Cambridge and expect much more wedding news after the Prince's name is announced
Old 04-24-2018, 01:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
NO.. I DETEST 'happy-clappy/kumbaya' emoting myself...so during that 'bit' I shall be making more Tea !
Yeah not a big fan of that either. I like more Traditional music.

Also not a fan (during Mass) of hand holding or the 'sign of peace' that takes forever with people wandering the pews looking for more hands to shake....if this doesn't happen in the Churches there consider yourself fortunate.

LaRae
Old 04-24-2018, 01:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Clearly you love to 'paint it so'.. the reality is that people adhere to, and are fond of their familiar traditions, and that applies to you, as much as it does to me and other members of the Church of England. And there is NOTHING wrong with that..
Absolutely. Just like for many, Thanksgiving isn't Thanksgiving without a turkey. Or Christmas isn't Christmas without the eggnog.

I would imagine that for the most part, we are going to see a typical, traditional Church of England ceremony with just a bit of a twist when it comes to one music selection. A little bit of everything that gives more meaning to Harry and Meghan's wedding by adding their own personal touches to it. Its their wedding after all.

I'm going to enjoy it no matter what they decide they want to do with any of the wedding plans.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
But they aren't foregoing that. They will have elements of that as well, but they will include other tradition as well. It can be inclusive of both, but there is some sense, based on the cake reaction, that there is a group that just doesn't want to include any things that aren't.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
if this doesn't happen in the Churches there consider yourself fortunate
This unwelcome 'import' has arrived here in the last 20 years,but I find dropping to ones knees [as though 'in Prayer'] is a HIGHLY successful 'avoidance tactic'...
Old 04-24-2018, 01:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
All of this for me too! I love how intentional and inclusive they are being. I am so happy part of Meghan's heritage will be apart of the ceremony.

Although I am guessing they will skip the broom lol.
More's the pity.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
But all the music is traditional with one small gospel choir. Are the traditions so flimsy that the addition of one gospel choir will topple them over? There are so many more important things to be concerned about.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
This unwelcome 'import' has arrived here in the last 20 years,but I find dropping to ones knees [as though 'in Prayer'] is a HIGHLY successful 'avoidance tactic'...

I clasp my hands together and close my eyes/bow head. If there was a Latin Rite Mass anywhere near us that's where we'd be going. I live in a heavily Evangelical (not Protestant ...Baptists, Assembly of God, Pentacostal etc) area. Not much in the way of 'High' Church options. I think the Episcopalians have even caved.

LaRae
Old 04-24-2018, 01:44 PM
Serene Highness

I don't think anyone will be dropping ob their knees, so no need to worry about that. The gospel choir will most likely sing one song, I think even the most devoted traditionalist can manage through that, and perhaps even enjoy it.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

That depends on the song.

LaRae
Old 04-24-2018, 01:52 PM
Courtier

I think Bebe and Cece Winans "Lost without You" would be wonderful, because it sounds like a love song, but is very spiritual. i would cry if they played something like that.

If they jump the broom, I'll have a mild heart attack.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I clasp my hands together and close my eyes/bow head. If there was a Latin Rite Mass anywhere near us that's where we'd be going. I live in a heavily Evangelical (not Protestant ...Baptists, Assembly of God, Pentacostal etc) area. Not much in the way of 'High' Church options. I think the Episcopalians have even caved.

LaRae
Dropping to knees, saying "Father" every five seconds during a prayer, and hands levitating for any reason than laying of hands are my pet peeves.

Back on topic, I bet Meghan and Harry go with a contemporary gospel choice.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:58 PM
Aristocracy

My guess is they won't do a contemporary gospel song, but something older, like a spiritual perhaps. There are some really beautiful ones. Maybe that will be acceptable. Seriously, it will be one song. Everybody will live. Everything else will be Church of England top to bottom.

Closed Thread