The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #321  
Old 11-28-2017, 03:36 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,533
I'm not at all surprised it is St George's. I honestly don't see it as "second rate" or more lowly compared to Westminster Abby. The RF all seem to consider Windsor home more than London and the Royal Palaces there. St George's has seen its fair share of important national and private family events. Harry doesn't seem one for a fuss and getting married at WA means a fuss, let's be honest its a big national day, whereas at Windsor it can still be a big public day seen by all who want to but without quite as much pomp and ceremony. That works perfect for someone who is only ever going to go down the line of succession. Also, if my sibling married in a location only a few years before me I would probably deliberately choose not to marry there to avoid comparisons.

I absolutely don't think its a less than best choice its just a different choice.
__________________

  #322  
Old 11-28-2017, 03:40 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 10,768
I totally agree about Windsor...so much more romantic and intimate than St Paul's or Westminster Abbey!
__________________

__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
  #323  
Old 11-28-2017, 03:40 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 10,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think we're treading into sticky, muddy waters when discussing the political aspects of a potential guest list. To be honest, I have no clue if there even will be a "diplomatic" protocol attached to anyone invited to Harry and Meghan's wedding.

If people are invited to the wedding as personal guests out of friendships, its illogical to me to have to "set things right" by attaching a "must invite" to it so it "looks better". When it comes to a personal wedding, politics shouldn't play any part of it even if the one getting married is a public and royal figure.

We'll find out what happens in due course but to be honest, taking up discussion room centered on the Obamas and the Trumps and the Reagans and the Bushes and Felix the Cat (he'd bring his magic bag o' tricks to the wedding and magically transport the newlyweds to BP's balcony for that magical kiss) is just going to give our moderators a huge headache.

Harry's wedding will not be a state wedding or even a semi-state wedding so the guest list will not have the "must invite" diplomatic invitations to heads of state. If a political figure such as Justin Trudeau is invited, it will be because he and his wife are personal friends of the bride.
I stand by my comments and my observations. I guess we will just have to wait and see as you stated.
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
  #324  
Old 11-28-2017, 03:41 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I am almost certain that at least one of them (the Obamas) will be invited. But I doubt if protocol or HM the queen will allow the bride and groom to invite the Obamas and not invite the current President of the US and/or his First Lady. It would be considered a major diplomatic faux pas.

Which brings us to a sticky problem. Rumor is that both Harry and Meghan have gone on record as stating that they are not fans of Trump. In fact, did President Trump or Mrs Trump even offer a public congratulations yesterday as the Obamas did?

In any case if the Obamas are invited at least one of the Trumps must be as well.

One couple will be invited out of necessity and courtesy, the other because of friendship and affection.
The US will likely be represented by the Ambassador. The likely Obamas invite would be personal from the royal couple. Two different things.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #325  
Old 11-28-2017, 03:42 PM
Fem's Avatar
Fem Fem is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: UK, Poland
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I am almost certain that at least one of them (the Obamas) will be invited. But I doubt if protocol or HM the queen will allow the bride and groom to invite the Obamas and not invite the current President of the US and/or his First Lady. It would be considered a major diplomatic faux pas.

Which brings us to a sticky problem. Rumor is that both Harry and Meghan have gone on record as stating that they are not fans of Trump. In fact, did President Trump or Mrs Trump even offer a public congratulations yesterday as the Obamas did?

In any case if the Obamas are invited at least one of the Trumps must be as well.

One couple will be invited out of necessity and courtesy, the other because of friendship and affection.
Neither Trump nor his wife can be invited in any official capacity (as a head of state), because the wedding isn't a state affair.
  #326  
Old 11-28-2017, 03:51 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Washington D.C., United States
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Here is the moment you alluded to. And, if you allow me a side comment, I am always mesmerized by how beautiful Princess Madeleine is and, as a nostalgist of inter-dynastic marriages, I will always regret that she and William, by her own admission, never even got to meet each other before they both got married to other people.
Princess Madeline is stunning. Wow.
  #327  
Old 11-28-2017, 03:51 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I stand by my comments and my observations. I guess we will just have to wait and see as you stated.

I totally agree about Windsor...so much more romantic and intimate than St Paul's or Westminster Abbey!

I don't think Harry and Meghan have to invite Trump or Melania to the wedding if they invite the Obamas as it won't be a state event and all invitations are extended on a personal basis only. However, knowing Trump's personality, I think he might take it badly if that happens, especially if the American media make a big deal out of it.
  #328  
Old 11-28-2017, 03:56 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Washington D.C., United States
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I don't think Harry and Meghan have to invite Trump or Melania to the wedding if they invite the Obamas as it won't be a state event and all invitations are extended on a personal basis only. However, knowing Trump's personality, I think he might take it badly if that happens, especially if the American media make a big deal out of it.


What protocol would they be breaching by inviting one (who are now private citizens) and not the other since this is not a state wedding?
  #329  
Old 11-28-2017, 04:03 PM
Stefan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Esslingen, Germany
Posts: 5,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I expect a fairly normal high church service with choir music only.

Andrew's wedding was attended by several guests from foreign royal families including several reigning monarchs. Somehow, I don't see that happening with Harry's wedding. What do you think ?
That Wikipedia page seems incorrect to me. As far as i remembbger there wehere no reigning monarchs at the Wedding of pricne Andrew. The guests listed there where however at the Wedding of Charles and Diana.
__________________
Stefan



  #330  
Old 11-28-2017, 04:07 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
That Wikipedia page seems incorrect to me. As far as i remembbger there wehere no reigning monarchs at the Wedding of pricne Andrew. The guests listed there where however at the Wedding of Charles and Diana.
Maybe it is wrong. I don't remember the wedding ceremony myself and I didn't check if the infornation is accurate. It is Wikipedia after all, so it's not always reliable. For Charles and Diana, a longer list of guests is mentioned (including the Queen of Denmark, the King of the Belgians, etc.), so the two lists are not the same.
  #331  
Old 11-28-2017, 04:10 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 10,768
Stefan, I think there were a few reigning monarchs at Andrew's wedding. Nancy Reagan represented her husband. I remember it clearly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I don't think Harry and Meghan have to invite Trump or Melania to the wedding if they invite the Obamas as it won't be a state event and all invitations are extended on a personal basis only. However, knowing Trump's personality, I think he might take it badly if that happens, especially if the American media make a big deal out of it.
Which HE will and THEY will. Bet on it!

Do you really think the British Govt wants that kind of controversy around this wedding?

That was the point I was trying to make.
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
  #332  
Old 11-28-2017, 04:12 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Maybe it is wrong. I don't remember the wedding ceremony myself and I didn't check if the infornation is accurate. It is Wikipedia after all, so it's not always reliable. For Charles and Diana, a longer list of guests is mentioned (including the Queen of Denmark, the King of the Belgians, etc.), so the two lists are not the same.
For Charles and Diana, it was a full blown state wedding. Only a monarch and the heir to the monarch get a full blown state wedding. All heads of states and crowned heads get invited.

I believe that Andrew's was a semi-state wedding similar to what William's was. It had all the pomp and circumstance and there were diplomatic invites but it wasn't like Charles' that the full monty was involved.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #333  
Old 11-28-2017, 04:14 PM
Gaudete's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South East Coast, United Kingdom
Posts: 514
I'm aware that the circumstances were slightly different when the Prince of Wales married in 2005 at St George's because Pope St John Paul had just died which prevented certain invited guests from attending once the dates were changed. However, we did see a few royal guests and so maybe this will be used as a precedent for this wedding?

I would expect a handful of junior European royals but not much more.
  #334  
Old 11-28-2017, 04:17 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,735
I think that most likely, the Queen will do with Harry as she did with William. I distinctly remember William not being overly happy with the proposed guest list that was presented to him by the courtiers and mentioned it to his Granny. It has been reported that the conversation went as follows:

"I went to her [the Queen] and said: 'Listen, I've got this list, not one person I know. What do I do?' and she went: 'Get rid of it. Start from your friends and then we'll add those we need to in due course. It's your day.'"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/...ing-guest-list
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #335  
Old 11-28-2017, 04:26 PM
Molly2101's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,525
I am so pleased it is happening at St George’s Chapel.

I imagine the guest list will be like the other weddings apart from Charles and Williams. Those weddings were not state events so they essentially invite “friends”. Edward had foreign royals at his who were his friends. Did Andrew have any? I imagine the Greek royals were at Andrews and it wouldn’t surprise me if they weren’t at Harry’s. I also think the king and queen of Spain would be invited due to harry spending some summers with the Spanish royals as a child. The Spanish royals (and any others if they are invited) could easily stay at Bagshot Park with the Wessex’s as well; they have plenty of room and they know each other. I believe peter also stayed with Edward the night before his wedding due the close proximity to Windsor Castle.

I look forward to finding out more details in the future. I’m very intrigued as to who will be in the wedding party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionMaven View Post
I think the most frustrating part for me is that the entrance with the stairs isn't out in the open really - it's almost in a courtyard, so not many folks can get back there.

Also - is the public even allowed in that part? Right outside of the staircase? It doesn't feel like with previous weddings that those people were the regular public. First of all, half appeared to be the press and the other half golf clapped for everything, lol.
At Edward and Sophie’s wedding they had sent out invites to the public as a ballot I believe and some people got to be in the cloister (which I’m sure is what that area is called. It’s something like that.)

Charles and Camilla had a small number of people in there too.
__________________
"I am yours, you are mine, of that be sure. You are locked in my heart, the little key is lost and now you must stay there forever."
Written by Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in the diary of her fiance, Tsarevich Nicholas.
  #336  
Old 11-28-2017, 04:37 PM
LadyGlendower's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: City of Light, France
Posts: 268
I remember Edward and/or Sophie at the Swedish weddings of Madeliene and Carl Phillip. Is it too much to hope that we get a Princess Madeliene sighting at this wedding, given that she and her husband are very familiar with London? Please? But then, there is is the baby on the way thing.

And oh yes.......hooray for St. Georges! I love love love the steps!
  #337  
Old 11-28-2017, 04:41 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGlendower View Post
I remember Edward and/or Sophie at the Swedish weddings of Madeliene and Carl Phillip. Is it too much to hope that we get a Princess Madeliene sighting at this wedding, given that she and her husband are very familiar with London? Please? But then, there is is the baby on the way thing.

And oh yes.......hooray for St. Georges! I love love love the steps!

I doubt it. She is not a friend of the couple and, as far as I know, Madeleine never met Harry (or so she said in a recent TV interview).

If the Wikipedia is right, the King and Queen of Sweden were present at Andrew's wedding. If the British court extends an invitation to the Swedish royal court, I think Victoria and Daniel might attend as they did at William's wedding, but I am not counting on official court-to-court invitations this time.
  #338  
Old 11-28-2017, 04:46 PM
tihkon2's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Stafford, United States
Posts: 452
Moonmaiden23

I highly doubt Donald Trump will be invited anywhere near this wedding, as he's on record, and recorded on live radio as saying about the groom's mother, Diana, Princess of Wales, "I could have nailed her" And then joking he'd "make her take an AIDS test first!"

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/454685...fter-she-died/
  #339  
Old 11-28-2017, 04:49 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
We have to remember that at a lot of weddings (especially big weddings, and I don't see this wedding with less than 650 guests), there will still be a lot of people invited that aren't personal friends of the couple. More like friends and acquaintances of parents and grandparents likely in this case. So while Harry might not be friends with foreign royals, the BRF might still extend an invitation as courtesy and the foreign royal will send a representative. There is reason why Sophie and Edward are present during foreign royal weddings, not necessarily because they are always so close to the bride and groom although I'm sure they've become acclimated with each other throughout the years of attending weddings on behalf of her HMQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post

I am not saying they should invite the Trumps, just saying it's unlikely to go down the way they prefer simply due to protocol.
The Obamas wouldn't be invited to the wedding as head of state or former head of state. It will strictly be as personal friends. Unless one of the Trumps is a personal friend of Harry or Meghan or even Prince Charles and Duchess of Cornwall or HMQ and Prince Phillip, I don't see the problem. If he doesn't like it, too bad.
  #340  
Old 11-28-2017, 05:00 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
We have to remember that at a lot of weddings (especially big weddings, and I don't see this wedding with less than 650 guests), there will still be a lot of people invited that aren't personal friends of the couple. More like friends and acquaintances of parents and grandparents likely in this case. So while Harry might not be friends with foreign royals, the BRF might still extend an invitation as courtesy and the foreign royal will send a representative. There is reason why Sophie and Edward are present during foreign royal weddings, not necessarily because they are always so close to the bride and groom although I'm sure they've become acclimated with each other throughout the years of attending weddings on behalf of her HMQ.

I get your point, Jacqui, but, at this point, Harry is only a grandson of the British monarch and, unlike William, he is not in direct line to the throne.. His situation therefore is not comparable even to Andrew's, or Madeleine's, or Carl Philip's, who were all sons or daughter of a reigning monarch when they got married. That is why I don't expect official court-to-court invitations.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings soapstar The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family 3909 11-27-2017 05:10 AM




Popular Tags
america archie mountbatten-windsor asia asian baptism british british royal family british royals camilla's family camilla parker bowles carolin china china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing chinese clarence house commonwealth countries crown jewels customs daisy doge of venice duchess of sussex duke of sussex elizabeth ii family tree fashion and style genetics george vi gradenigo gustaf vi adolf harry and meghan hello! highgrove history hochberg house of windsor jack brooksbank japan japan history jewellery kensington palace king edward vii king juan carlos książ castle liechtenstein lili mountbatten-windsor line of succession list of rulers luxembourg monarchist movements monarchists mongolia pless politics prince harry queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen victoria royal ancestry royalty of taiwan speech st edward suthida swedish queen taiwan thai royal family tradition unfinished portrait united states united states of america welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:29 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×