Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so glad Meghan's side wasn't forgotten in this selection.

Yes, the oldest children are seven, the youngest two. Perhaps a couple of the mums have volunteered to corall the younger ones and make sure they don't play up, like Kate at Pippa's wedding? In my mind's eye I can still see William, aged four, at the York wedding...

So, Jessica and Family arrived this morning and it is reported so did Benita and CO.

IMO, it seems they did indeed wait until the kids were in the UK to announce, and therefore this would not be disruptive to their daily lives with the media.

Some times folks are Godparents and it has nothing to do with organized religion.

One of my Godmothers is not Catholic (I am), but is still my Godmother. I actually know a lot of people who name folks their kids' Godparents and it having nothing to do with a formal religious ceremony, just a role people play in folks lives.

A Catholic child can have a non-Catholic godparent, but the godparent has to provide proof, as I said, of a valid baptism, i. e. a baptism that is recognized by the Catholic Church. For example, the Catholic Church recognizes Anglican, Eastern Orthodox, Lutheran, or even Methodist or Presbyterian baptism.

Since Meghan was not baptized, it is unlikely that she could have been a godmother in any mainstream church. That is why I wonder if the Palace’s statement that some of the bridesmaids are her goddaughters is factually wrong. Maybe they are referring to some kind of “secular baptism” that is not baptism as understood in mainstream Christianity.

Last edited:
Honestly, since 3 of the kids are Mulroney's, it wouldn't surprise me if Jessica is assisting with the kids (or Benita or both), but just are not named in the party.

Expecting 5 year olds or a 7 year old to behave at this kind of event is wishful thinking in my experience.

I would agree on depending on 7 year olds, but yea I don’t know how they are gonna work this out. Speaking of being in charge of the kids, I recall that KP said the kids will ride over to the Chapel with Meghan. Is it safe to assume that they’ll be in a different car? :lol:

When I think of cousins, I think of people like Zara Tindall and Lady Kitty Spencer. While I’m surprised about Freddie and Ella, I think it’s not odd to think that someone would invite those they know socially instead of their second and third cousins. I don’t even know who is my second or third cousin. At that point, it’s pretty far.

Exactly! Zara, Peter, Kitty and Eliza are cousins. Davina Lewis or Lord Downpatrick are the Queen’s cousins children and grandchildren.

I would agree on depending on 7 year olds, but yea I don’t know how they are gonna work this out. Speaking of being in charge of the kids, I recall that KP said the kids will ride over to the Chapel with Meghan. Is it safe to assume that they’ll be in a different car? :lol:

? pandemonium

I am so glad Meghan's side wasn't forgotten in this selection.

Yes, the oldest children are seven, the youngest two. Perhaps a couple of the mums have volunteered to corall the younger ones and make sure they don't play up, like Kate at Pippa's wedding? In my mind's eye I can still see William, aged four, at the York wedding...

And the Queen running after him:lol:

There has to be an adult (or two or three) directing the children. A group that large and that young could be chaos.

I can't believe the extended royal cousins weren't invited. What is the reasoning when they also appear on the balcony for the Trooping the Color? I hope this is just another ridiculous rumor.

As for someone walking her down the aisle --- I'm inclined to believe it will be the POW.

Looking forward to Saturday!

I think Doria will walk her down the aisle. No reason to have anyone else do it.

This bridal party sounds like an adorable chaos. Cant wait! 3 days!

Exactly! Zara, Peter, Kitty and Eliza are cousins. Davina Lewis or Lord Downpatrick are the Queen’s cousins children and grandchildren.

The Phillips and Spencers are some of Harry's first cousins but the Kents and Gloucesters are still Harry's cousins. He may see some of the Kents & Gloucesters more often than his Uncle Charles and his children.

When I think of cousins, I think of people like Zara Tindall and Lady Kitty Spencer. While I’m surprised about Freddie and Ella, I think it’s not odd to think that someone would invite those they know socially instead of their second and third cousins. I don’t even know who is my second or third cousin. At that point, it’s pretty far.

But unlike you, Harry does know his second and third cousins and has attended milestone events with them all their lives. So not inviting is odd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some times folks are Godparents and it has nothing to do with organized religion.

One of my Godmothers is not Catholic (I am), but is still my Godmother. I actually know a lot of people who name folks their kids' Godparents and it having nothing to do with a formal religious ceremony, just a role people play in folks lives.

Same. It isn't always a religion thing but more a spiritual/emotional thing. I am "godparent" to my best friend's sons. That is an agreement between us that I love them as my own and if anything were to happen to her I would raise them as my own. I would imagine that is similar to how Meghan and Benita are as she always referred to the girls as her "Fairy goddaughters."

After years of watching Harry with children and how much he just connects with them, I can't imagine his wedding without that element of cuteness overload and Harry and Meghan are not going to disappoint us.

Its a very well rounded selection of kids and I imagine they are going to have a blast with this wedding with absolutely no chance of putting any of them down for a nap. Can't wait for the pictures. :D

Lots of people have godparents who aren't religious. In some cultures, godparents mostly agree to step in if something happens to the parents. My son's godparents are Protestants. My daughter's are my (athiest) sister and her (Catholic) husband.

Lots of people have godparents who aren't religious. In some cultures, godparents mostly agree to step in if something happens to the parents. My son's godparents are Protestants. My daughter's are my (athiest) sister and her (Catholic) husband.

Theoretically, one should not pick a non-religious or atheist person to be a godparent in a Christian baptism, but I admit parents often do that. My point was though that, whether the person is an atheist or not, he/she still has to have been baptized or else the priest won’t allow him/her to serve as a godparent in the actual ceremony.

In Meghan’s case, I am understanding from the replies of other posters that her being a godmother may be some kind of “non-official” arrangement with the girls’ parents, or we may be talking of some kind of secular baptism. I still find it odd though.

A Catholic child can have a non-Catholic godparent, but the godparent has to provide proof, as I said, of a valid baptism, i. e. a baptism that is recognized by the Catholic Church. For example, the Catholic Church recognizes Anglican, Eastern Orthodox, Lutheran, or even Methodist or Presbyterian baptism.

Since Meghan was not baptized, it is unlikely that she could have been a godmother in any mainstream church. That is why I wonder if the Palace’s statement that some of the bridesmaids are her goddaughters is factually wrong. Maybe they are referring to some kind of “secular baptism” that is not baptism as understood in mainstream Christianity.

I think you perhaps take a more formal approach than many do.

And “mainstream” Christianity? Idk about that. A lot of folks, at least in the US, are members of non-denominational churches ie Vineyards or AOG affiliates who have no formal requirements for who can be a sponsor for dedication (kind of the equivalent or Christening in many churches). And in the black Baptist Church or AME, it also isn’t as strict.

So what is normal for some doesn’t make it mainstream at all. At least in my experience. I am the Godmother to 4 kids and even in the Catholic ceremony, I was not asked for proof of baptism nor was anyone else by the priest. In fact he asked no questions at all about the backgrounds of the Godparents. YMMV.

I can't believe the extended royal cousins weren't invited. What is the reasoning when they also appear on the balcony for the Trooping the Color? I hope this is just another ridiculous rumor.

To be fair it was already the case for the wedding of Charles and Camilla back in 2005 : no invitation for the extented members of the familly ( aka Gloucesters and Kents children and grandchildren, Except James Ogilvy, a close friend to Charles) : the reason given at that time was the reduced scale of the event and more seats dedicated to friends.

Last edited:
I think you perhaps take a more formal approach than many do.

And “mainstream” Christianity? Idk about that. A lot of folks, at least in the US, are members of non-denominational churches ie Vineyards or AOG affiliates who have no formal requirements for who can be a sponsor for dedication (kind of the equivalent or Christening in many churches). And in the black Baptist Church or AME, it also isn’t as strict.

So what is normal for some doesn’t make it mainstream at all. At least in my experience. I am the Godmother to 4 kids and even in the Catholic ceremony, I was not asked for proof of baptism nor was anyone else by the priest. In fact he asked no questions at all about the backgrounds of the Godparents. YMMV.

When we chose godparents for our daughters in the Episcopal Church, we were told that the only requirement was that the sponsors/godparents had to have been baptized, but they were not required to provide proof. This was over 30 years ago, so I'm not sure if that has changed in the interim.

With the youngest bridesmaid being 2, and the oldest children being 7, I foresee lots of small children wandering off into the side aisles, fingers up noses, and startled bursts of tears.

Should be wonderful, and I can't wait for Saturday! :lol:

Addendum: What on earth were they thinking not to have an older bridesmaid to shepherd the youngest ones along?

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair it was already the case for the wedding of Charles and Camilla back in 2005 : no invitation for the extented members of the familly ( aka Gloucesters and Kents children and grandchildren, Except James Ogilvy, a close friend to Charles) : the reason given at that time was the reduced scale of the event and more seats dedicated to friends.

I understand that Harry probably donsn't know older cousins like Helen Taylor or younger ones like Amelia Windsor very well but he grew up with the 3 Gloucester children and Freddie and Ella Windsor and to have added them and their spouses would have accounted for a mere 8 more guests.Bearing in mind there is a surplus of 200 would it really have hurt to ask them? They seem very 'precious' about all of this just as William was. Edward and Sophie and Peter and Autumn had weddings at Windsor and it was straightforward ie the full extended family for E and S, younger members of the extended family there for Peter (just as the older Charles asked the older members ) and all guests at the reception, none of this "oh so and so can't come" or "so and so can come to this part but not that part". IMO they're making it much more complicated than it has to be and are probably offending lots of people in the process.

Please note that posts discussing the mood of race relations in the US have been deleted as off topic and political.

Let's stay on topic.

Not inviting some of the Windsor relatives refutes Sam's claim that all family must be invited. Sam not only claimed half-sibs "must be invited" but that cousins, nieces, and nephews should be on the list. hmm. guess not.

But unlike you, Harry does know his second and third cousins and has attended milestone events with them all their lives. So not inviting is odd.

What milestone event in Harry's life or in Amelia Windsor's life have they all attended? They see each other at Trooping and Christmas Lunch, but there are so many people there for so little time.

I am betting we will see Kate and Jessica M. helping with the wedding party.

LaRae

What milestone event in Harry's life or in Amelia Windsor's life have they all attended? They see each other at Trooping and Christmas Lunch, but there are so many people there for so little time.

Not their personal milestone events--the events within the BRF.

Didn't Meghan refer to the Litt girls as her "Fairy Goddaughters"??

So perhaps she isn't officially their godmother; it's just more or less an honorary title. It isn't likely she would be godmother to both girls anyway.

Being a godparent in the US does not require one to be baptized or even of any particular religious domination or spiritual background. You simply agree to do it and show up at the christening ceremony. Sometimes it's not even as formal as that. The parents ask and you agree and that's that. I think it makes more sense to assume that Meghan knows what her relationship is to those kids than it does to try to dissect it based on what you think you know about her life.

Hester that would depend on the Church too.

LaRae

Love the wedding party, so many kids! Having many children at your wedding makes it a more joyful event, lot's cuteness overload! Can't wait to watch the wedding on my TV.

BTW, is the wedding going to be broadcasted inside the chapel? I was wondering if we get to see only outside or we get to see their vows live...

I love the wedding party. Lots of little children should make for a joyous day. I actually think that Jessica and Benita will take the role of haranguing the kids without being official bridesmaids.

I love the wedding party. Lots of little children should make for a joyous day. I actually think that Jessica and Benita will take the role of haranguing the kids without being official bridesmaids.

I'm sure there will be someone corralling the children at the beginning, and even getting them started down the aisle.

But it's a very long aisle when you are 2 or 3 years old, and when you walk into a space filled with 600 strangers. I'm not too concerned about the beginning, but, as I said in an earlier post, without a responsible older bridesmaid or page to keep the little ones moving along, and reassure any nerves, I foresee the possibility of tears, wandering off, stopping dead in the middle of the church, or fingers up noses or in mouths.

And actually, for me, all those things would be a feature, not a bug, since the unpredictability is exactly what makes little children in a wedding so adorable.

I watched the Lifetime movie and the stuff about The Crown now makes even less sense as Florence's (god daughter to Harry) Uncle plays Martin Charteris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom