Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe its just me but I kind of thought that once in the UK, Doria and Tom, Sr. would attend things and generally keep each other company. I've never had the impression that their divorce wasn't anything but amicable and they've shared family vacations and holidays together with Meghan since the divorce.

That's just my thinking though.

I don't understand why anyone has to walk her down the aisle in this day-and-age. She is a modern woman and no one has to give her away. I have been to weddings of divorced women that walked beautifully down alone. If they really wanted a modern, lets not have a traditional wedding or formal "sit-down" luncheon affair, they could easily get away with that. What ever, it will all turn out fine

I think these days and in particular for Meghan it would just be nice for a bride to have someone accompany her down the aisle - just as the bridegroom has his bestman to make that nerve-wracking journey to the alter.

With regard to Tom Sr's latest "association" with TMZ, I do rather think he should be telling all this to Meghan or the Palace so that the matter can be resolved quickly, arrangements made for his travel etc and then we can all get on with it.

I really don't mind if he attends or he doesn't - just make a final decision, tell those who NEED to know (i.e. his daughter and the Palace) and stick with the plan.

I'd rather discuss something else.
There was an article about the flowers being shifted from the shop Meghan is using.

IF those are the wedding flowers, then they are mostly white and pale pink.
The little bridesmaids would look charming in pink dresses.

Last edited:
Disagree. Her friends and mother are all there for her. Having Charles walk her down the aisle is a nice way to show how accepted she is by the BRF.
I forgot the royal bride who was walked down aisle by her FIL who was king at the time. It can be a sign that said bride is fully accepted.

I forgot the royal bride who was walked down aisle by her FIL who was king at the time. It can be a sign that said bride is fully accepted.

Sonja Haraldsen was walked down the aisle by King Olav V, I think.

... is that even before this week’s issues, no plan had been made for someone (ideally his diplomat brother) to accompany Mr. Markle on his trip and to provide companionship and support during his stay in the U.K.

Are we to assume that an elderly man with a very low-key lifestyle was going to fly alone on a 12 hour flight, not including home to airport and pre flight time, and then to spend several days in a hotel or other place without any companionship other than the few minutes his daughter could spare?

Sounds cruel and unusual to me. I don’t believe he ever intended/was intended to come.

I agree that this whole scenario seems odd.

The only thing I really disagree with is the diplomat brother--isn't he the one who told the media where his brother lived?

I don't know what I think about the situation described in your last sentence.

Last edited:
I'm very skeptical about her father having a heart attack - I think he may have had a panic attack (which can feel just like a heart attack). As well, I think he may have a phobia of flying/crowds and anxiety. If this is the case, I'm have some sympathy for him, having had a panic attack and anxiety myself years ago.

However, I'm appalled by the way he's handled it. He should be talking to his daughter and the palace - not repeatedly talking to TMZ. He's made the situation worse and shown a lack of judgement. (I'm also appalled by his statements about being part of history - his focus should be on his daughter's happiness which he's hurt.) Whether or not he intentionally hurt her (and I have mixed feelings about that), he certainly has hurt her and caused a lot of problems for her, Prince Harry and the Royal Family. If he was my father, I'd be deeply disappointed in his very poor judgement.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was Sonja Haraldsen on her wedding to Crown Prince Harald of Norway. King Olav had refused to give his permission to the marriage for 9 years before relenting when Harald said he wouldn't marry anyone else.
Olav and Fredrika of Greece had intended for him to marry one of her daughters.
The marriage was debated in Parliament but it wasn't until after Harald's ultimatum that Olav realised that the marriage would have popular support and gave his permission.
The reason for Olav not supporting the marriage wasn't that he didn't like Sonja but that he did not believe that the Norwegian people would support an unequal match and because he didn't believe in royals marrying commoners. Both he, his wife Märtha and his father, then King Haakon VII, were totally against the marriage between their daughter Ragnhild and Erling Lorentzen. His other daughter Astrid has later said that she never believed that she would get permission to marry her husband Johan Martin Ferner.
Since Sonja's father was dead he offered to walk her down the aisle both to welcome her into the family and to show that he supported the marriage.

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrit...-harrys-wedding-cake-prep-beings-see-the-pic/

Just a small ray of sunshine in this debacle. The lemons look very pretty and summery. Should be a delicious cake.

They look wonderful. The lemons from Sorrento, Italy (as these lemons are) are world famous - the liqueur Limoncello is made from them. Sorrento is a beautiful coastal town although it has been many years since I visited it.

More about Sorrento lemons.
http://www.specialtyproduce.com/produce/Italian_Sorrento_Lemons_4780.php

Last edited:
It would be sweet if Charles could walk Meghan up the aisle should Doria not do that honor. It would be a definite shout out that Meghan is family and that they have her back and support her when she needs it.

I hope Prince Charles walks her down the aisle. It would be a great way for the next monarch to send a message that Meghan is now one of us--us being the BRF. It would also be great if there was some type of public gesture made toward Doria during the wedding letting the world know (as well as the loony toon Markles) that Doria is considered family too.

Interesting how he seems more excited at the possibility of being a part of history than of walking his daughter down the aisle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope Prince Charles walks her down the aisle. It would be a great way for the next monarch to send a message that Meghan is now one of us--us being the BRF. It would also be great if there was some type of public gesture made toward Doria during the wedding letting the world know (as well as the loony toon Markles) that Doria is considered family too.

I agree. It would definitely send a strong message to everyone.

I think Thomas is banned from attending the wedding. That's why he said he is not going.

Maybe he was the one blocking this meeting, not Meghan and Harry. Maybe Meghan and her father aren't that close. It really isn't that odd, families grow apart due to distance and lack of effort. Maybe Sr had cancelled a few meetings, and then felt too embarrassed to meet up. It happens.

That could also be the case and would lead to the same conclusion: they are not close.

It's just really hard to imagine that they are close but didn't manage to meet in the last year and a half while Meghan had someone extremely important to introduce.

That could also be the case and would lead to the same conclusion: they are not close.

It's just really hard to imagine that they are close but didn't manage to meet in the last year and a half while Meghan had someone extremely important to introduce.

I haven't seen my father in three years. And it's not unusual for us. We just happen to lead different lives. Doesn't mean we aren't close or have contact.

Bottom line is, after all of this blew up. Meghan and Harry are still asking for respect and understanding for her father. You simply don't do that if you aren't that close.

I haven't seen my father in three years. And it's not unusual for us. We just happen to lead different lives. Doesn't mean we aren't close or have contact.

Bottom line is, after all of this blew up. Meghan and Harry are still asking for respect and understanding for her father. You simply don't do that if you aren't that close.

If they were close, she would have introduced her future husband to her dad.

I don't understand why anyone has to walk her down the aisle in this day-and-age. She is a modern woman and no one has to give her away. I have been to weddings of divorced women that walked beautifully down alone. If they really wanted a modern, lets not have a traditional wedding or formal "sit-down" luncheon affair, they could easily get away with that. What ever, it will all turn out fine
If they use the same liturgy as William and Catherine, the giving away is part of the ceremony, so I'm curious to see whether this liturgy is used. I would hope that Doria can be the one to give away - in Catherine's case it was her father who put her hand in William's.

If they use the same liturgy as William and Catherine, the giving away is part of the ceremony, so I'm curious to see whether this liturgy is used. I would hope that Doria can be the one to give away - in Catherine's case it was her father who put her hand in William's.

Nothing prevents Doria from giving her away. As it has been mentioned here, Queen Victoria gave away Princess Beatrice.

And now that it is confirmed that Tom Sr cannot attend because he is undergoing heart surgery tomorrow, Doria has a reasonable excuse to replace him. It looks to me that the matter is settled now unless Meghan asks to postpone the wedding.

Last edited:
If they were close, she would have introduced her future husband to her dad.

Each person to their own. I'm not going to guess what I don't know could've happened or not. What I know has happened is that this woman had the rug pulled out from under her days before one of the most important days of her life in front of the world, and she's thinking of her father and his well being despite the fact that she's the innocent one getting hurt the most here. If that's not love, I don't know what is.

... is that even before this week’s issues, no plan had been made for someone (ideally his diplomat brother) to accompany Mr. Markle on his trip and to provide companionship and support during his stay in the U.K.

Are we to assume that an elderly man with a very low-key lifestyle was going to fly alone on a 12 hour flight, not including home to airport and pre flight time, and then to spend several days in a hotel or other place without any companionship other than the few minutes his daughter could spare?

Sounds cruel and unusual to me. I don’t believe he ever intended/was intended to come.

Why do you assume there was no plan? I'm quite sure that at least for the UK part everything was worked out; and maybe it was even arranged that one of his grandchildren would travel with him or someone else. KP surely must have intended for him to come. They wouldn't send out a press release stating that he would walk his daughter down the aisle if they knew beforehand it would have to be someone else.

Each person to their own. I'm not going to guess what I don't know could've happened or not. What I know has happened is that this woman had the rug pulled out from under her days before one of the most important days of her life in front of the world, and she's thinking of her father and his well being. If that's not love, I don't know what is.

The official "version" will be that Tom Sr. wanted to be there for Meghan, but could not because he had a heart attack and had to undergo surgery. That version casts her father in a much more positive light than originally thought and gives a credible way out for the RF to save the wedding by replacing Tom Sr, with someone else more reliable without looking like that they are breaching protocol.

Meghan doesn't have to be close to his biological father to be concerned about his health, especially when he is experiencing a life-threatening condition.

Each person to their own. I'm not going to guess what I don't know could've happened or not. What I know has happened is that this woman had the rug pulled out from under her days before one of the most important days of her life in front of the world, and she's thinking of her father and his well being despite the fact that she's the innocent one getting hurt the most here. If that's not love, I don't know what is.

She clearly cares about him but being close and caring about and loving each other are two different things. It's not that the only alternative to being close is being compketely indifferent. It's still her father and she his daughter. He is just less important and close to Meghan than others - for example, she is far closer to her mom and some of her friends.

Each person to their own. I'm not going to guess what I don't know could've happened or not. What I know has happened is that this woman had the rug pulled out from under her days before one of the most important days of her life in front of the world, and she's thinking of her father and his well being. If that's not love, I don't know what is.

I agree.

I think it's really easy to assume that the way things are done in your own family--how you show love, how often family members see each other, or talk--is the one and only "correct" way, and that if someone else doesn't do things that way then there is something wrong with the relationship. That just isn't true. People vary, and it's pointless to assume that there is some universally accepted standard for how often family members talk, see each other, spend holidays together, etc.

Meghan has said she loves and is close to her dad, and she is the authority on her own feelings. I'll take her at her word, even if it wouldn't be the way things would work in my own family.

The official "version" will be that Tom Sr. wanted to be there for Meghan, but could not because he had a heart attack and had to undergo surgery. That version casts her father in a much more positive light than originally thought and gives a credible way out for the RF to save the wedding by replacing Tom Sr, with someone else more reliable without looking like that they are breaching protocol.

Meghan doesn't have to be close to his biological father to be concerned about his health, especially when he is experiencing a life-threatening condition.

There is no office version from the Palace. They released that statement without knowing what the plans will be. They had no idea the initial TMZ report was coming, which was reported by multiple royal correspondents in describing the reaction when they ring the Palace. And honestly, the Palace is not going to let Tom Markle go to TMZ to announce this if they knew ahead of time. And have you considered what if he does have a heart surgery? I find comments like that quite mean and uncomfortable if the man really is that sick.

Somehow you are saying that Meghan isn't close to him, but concerned enough for him even though she's working with a palace to conspire on how to kick him out of her wedding. If I'm kicking you out of my wedding, I don't give a damn about your health at that point and I'm certainly not going to ask anyone to respect or understand you.

IF and a big IF this man needs surgery...yesterday it was because of Samantha, today it’s because of his son’s letter...how about it’s because of cheeseburgers and other bad choices Mr. Markle Sr alone made. It’s never ending..I wish ill-health on no one. No sympathy here

She clearly cares about him but being close and caring about and loving each other are two different things. It's not that the only alternative to being close is being compketely indifferent. It's still her father and she his daughter. He is just less important and close to Meghan than others - for example, she is far closer to her mom and some of her friends.

Look, family relationships are complex. Saying she's closer to her mother because they get along better or share more things in common is different than people flat out saying she's not close to her father, which is what's happening here.

So if any of us here is closer to one parent than another, doesn't that mean we aren't close to the other parent? That's just not how it works. Evaluate Meghan's relationship with her mother based on that relationship, and evaluate her relationship with her father based on that relationship.

Well, at least that settles the issue and provides an excuse to Mr Markle to save face. I wish him all the best in his surgery and that he makes a full recovery.

Meanwhile, Meghan can move on with the wedding plans. I think her mother will give her away,

Most likely his health issues are stress induced. However, blaming his son for his supposed heart attack (he apparently claims that he got it because jr wrote a public letter to discourage Harry from marrying Harry) is another weird move. I just hope he gets his act back together both physically and mentally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom