Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it will be children. I think she will have her college BFF Lindsay as her MOH and then it will be the children of close friends and Charlotte as her bridesmaids and the pageboys will be George and Mark Dyer's son. That is my guess. But since the little girls likely aren't in the UK, I can see them not wanting that info out until needed.

Last edited:
I'm hoping for the cute kids. 1 adult maybe 2 in order to help ..but kids mostly!

LaRae

over indulge in champagne at the reception

Not necessarily.. I found myself in big trouble when discovered under a table [hidden by a long tablecloth, with mountains of [fruit] cake, and several [swiped] glasses of Champagne, at a Family Wedding, [I was 6, and a Page Boy, as was my co-conspirator Cousin]...

Not necessarily.. I found myself in big trouble when discovered under a table [hidden by a long tablecloth, with mountains of [fruit] cake, and several [swiped] glasses of Champagne, at a Family Wedding, [I was 6, and a Page Boy, as was my co-conspirator Cousin]...

That's true. When my father's best friend got married in China, there is this tradition of overdrinking between adults. Usually the groom will have match the drink of the guest. In that case, it was the bride as she could hold her booze. My dad had a glass of liquor, she had a glass of wine, and they were aruging about if that's fair. While they were arguing, I was taking a sip of wine and a sip of liquor. By the time they discovered what I was doing, half of each was gone. I was barely 3. I obviously did not remember this event, but it's since become a story they tell every time they get together and I'm there.

Based on this and FashionMaven's anecdote, perhaps it would be a good idea to make sure that all the potential pages and flower girls have been through a 12-step program.....;)

Based on this and FashionMaven's anecdote, perhaps it would be a good idea to make sure that all the potential pages and flower girls have been through a 12-step program.....;)

Would that be Precocious Children Anonymous (PCA)? Where don't admit to having a problem but admit that they *are* the problem? :whistling:

Not too far fetched. There's a 12 step program for just about anything. :D

How did Prince Harry ask Prince William to be his best man? Harry had a fun answer when asked that question on Thursday evening.

“How did I ask?” Harry told reporters during a visit to the Greenhouse Center charity in London. “Got down on one knee. He’s known for months.”

Kensington Palace announced on Thursday that William (who just welcomed his third child with Kate Middleton on Monday) would serve as Harry’s best man at his May 19 wedding to fiancée Meghan Markle, just as Harry did for William back when he married Kate in 2011.

“It feels great,” William said of the honor of standing by his brother’s side on his wedding day. “Thrilled and delighted, obviously.”
Read more: Prince William and Prince Harry Joke About Best Man Ask | PEOPLE.com

They are quite funny, you can tell they have a really good relationship.

LaRae

I adore the William/Harry dynamic....the way they tease and crack jokes about one another is often very funny and reminds me of how I interact in adulthood with my own siblings " I got down on one knee":lol:

Yes! My husband has 4 brothers and 1 sister. When we all get at the same location it is chaos. The brothers (none of them under 50) revert back to brother behavior and it's on....quite funny. That seems to be how these two are. I love seeing it.

LaRae

I get it, too. It also makes me wonder if the wedding party is more American style with a bevy of adult bridesmaids. If so, I wonder how that will go over.
Meghan could always go mad and do a "Princess Elizabeth" and have two pageboys for the train and eight adult bridesmaids just to keep it interesting . . .

It seems odd they only announced the best man. The timing seems to have been to deflect from the baby name. But if true, they should have released the entire bridal party. William was basically a given, we all knew it was coming. The only way the 'best man' announcement would have helped steer conversation would be if he shocked us and chose someone else.

I don't think Meghan will go all adult, but if she does, what matter is it? :ermm:

The whole 'kids are cuter' :ohmy: Anyone else offended by the 'adults are all different heights and Weights' comment??? So it would be acceptable as long as she chooses tall lanky bridesmaids? Not all kids are small and cute either. Should she make sure they are all 'picture cute'??:bang:

Drunks at a wedding reception are sadly a reality. Whether your friend is your bridesmaid or just a guest at the wedding. Having a children's bridal party doesn't remove the 'drunken friends' concern. Unless you don't plan to invite anyone but the bridal party to the reception of course.

Will guests have their devices confiscated at the reception so no unauthorized photos don't make it to the media?

I don't think Meghan will go all adult, but if she does, what matter is it?

Some forum members clearly stated they prefer to see children because they believe children are cuter. That's what this forum is for, submitting and discussing suggestions for the wedding. And that's why it matters.

The whole 'kids are cuter' Anyone else offended by the 'adults are all different heights and Weights' comment??? So it would be acceptable as long as she chooses tall lanky bridesmaids? Not all kids are small and cute either. Should she make sure they are all 'picture cute'??

Nothing was said about “picture cute.” Children are cuter than adults, period. Yes, sometimes it’s based on looks (I looked cute as a child but not now). But it's also based on behavior (the “manifest sweetness” the poster referred to). Who didn't chuckle at Catherine's grumpy flower girl Grace van Cutsem? A grumpy adult wouldn't generate the same warm & fuzzy "oh isn't she cute" reaction.

Drunks at a wedding reception are sadly a reality. Whether your friend is your bridesmaid or just a guest at the wedding. Having a children's bridal party doesn't remove the 'drunken friends' concern. Unless you don't plan to invite anyone but the bridal party to the reception of course.

Yes, but the concern was over drunken bridesmaids which are far more embarrassing and noticeable than drunken friends you can pretend you don't know. "Umm...I think she must be one of Harry's friends, isn't she just awful?" ?

Some forum members clearly stated they prefer to see children because they believe children are cuter. That's what this forum is for, submitting and discussing suggestions for the wedding. And that's why it matters.

Nothing was said about “picture cute.” Children are cuter than adults, period. Yes, sometimes it’s based on looks (I looked cute as a child but not now). But it's also based on behavior (the “manifest sweetness” the poster referred to). Who didn't chuckle at Catherine's grumpy flower girl Grace van Cutsem? A grumpy adult wouldn't generate the same warm & fuzzy "oh isn't she cute" reaction.

Yes, but the concern was over drunken bridesmaids which are far more embarrassing and noticeable than drunken friends you can pretend you don't know. "Umm...I think she must be one of Harry's friends, isn't she just awful?" ?

I forgot, the concern was the bridesmaids will show up drunk to the ceremony which is embarrassing :eek::lol:

Here I thought it would be at the late night party, where probably 90% of the guests will be drunk. Even perhaps the 'best man' or the groom. Because a late night party with alcohol tends to lead that way.

Besides you adults tend to be reasonable and realize 'if I am a bridesmaid and my best friend's father in law, the future king, is across the room, I may not want to get so drunk I decide to do a strip show'.

And this is the post I was referencing

Personally I think the great benefit of a gaggle of small Children is their similar height/size, and manifest sweetness...

Adult Bridesmaids are invariably of different heights, some thin, some fat and some 'average'.. they simply don't 'look as good'...

Please explain to me how this is not about 'picture cute' :bang:

The poster suggested that having less then thin and beautiful bridesmaids would not be as attractive as flower girls??

The implication that bridesmaids if adults should all be tall and thin so they make a good picture, is appalling.

Does that only apply to adults was my question? Is a slightly chubby little girl not okay as a flower girl? Is that less cute?

Yeah its a discussion, but when someone implies anything but a perfect thin bridesmaid is acceptable, then there will certainly be discussion.

As for grumpy bridesmaid....upside to Adults. They tend to know how to behave in public situations, more then a 3 year old would. An adult is capable to standing there and looking happy even if for some reason not. Unfortunately a 3 year old isn't so good at acting. Its not that its 'less cute' on an adult. It would be that its understandable for a child to show frustration. We expect adults to be more composed.

Last edited:
Can't be any worse than the cake reaction. #cakegate :lol:

Did anyone else see the filmed bit about the Queen's birthday cake during the birthday concert at Royal Albert Hall last weekend? Tom Kerridge and three members of the WI were in the Clarence House kitchens making a three layer cake for HM and the Duchess of Cornwall came to visit them.

The bottom layer was elderflower and pistachio and HRH expressed her love for elderflower. So I suspect she, at least, will be enjoying the cake at the wedding.

Last edited:
I forgot, the concern was the bridesmaids will show up drunk to the ceremony which is embarrassing :eek::lol:

Here I thought it would be at the late night party, where probably 90% of the guests will be drunk. Even perhaps the 'best man' or the groom. Because a late night party with alcohol tends to lead that way.

Besides you adults tend to be reasonable and realize 'if I am a bridesmaid and my best friend's father in law, the future king, is across the room, I may not want to get so drunk I decide to do a strip show'.

And this is the post I was referencing

Please explain to me how this is not about 'picture cute' :bang:

manifest sweetness - it's not limited to looks

The poster suggested that having less then thin and beautiful bridesmaids would not be as attractive as flower girls??

The implication that bridesmaids if adults should all be tall and thin so they make a good picture, is appalling.

Yes, you have a good point. Unfair as it is, we prefer to see adults (male and female) who look good. That's why TV hosts, sports announcers, etc. are almost always physically attractive. But you're right, this is a wedding party, where one honors friends and relatives, and looks shouldn't be a criteria ("you've always stood by me and I really appreciate that, but you need to lose weight, so I'm really sorry...")

Does that only apply to adults was my question? Is a slightly chubby little girl not okay as a flower girl? Is that less cute?

No, in my opinion that would not be less cute, cuteness is not based on looks alone, at least in the way we view children.

Yeah its a discussion, but when someone implies anything but a perfect thin bridesmaid is acceptable, then there will certainly be discussion.

When I pointed out "this is a discussion" I referred to your dismissive "what matter is it" comment.

As for grumpy bridesmaid....upside to Adults. They tend to know how to behave in public situations, more then a 3 year old would. An adult is capable to standing there and looking happy even if for some reason not. Unfortunately a 3 year old isn't so good at acting. Its not that its 'less cute' on an adult. It would be that its understandable for a child to show frustration. We expect adults to be more composed.

Exactly -the fact that children don't follow the same rules as adults is why we sometimes consider their behavior "cute." In adults it would simply be rude.

Last edited:
Lets move on please, it is quite obvious that adults and children come in all different shapes and sizes and that whoever attends Meghan at her wedding will not be chosen on the basis of their height or size. Further, members are reminded to report posts that offend, so as to avoid taking the thread off-track. Thank you.

Ok, I didn't expect so many big names being sent overseas for this. I mean Anderson Cooper? Christian Amanpour, and Don Lemon from CNN? And ALL of Today Show's hosts plus additional news correspondence? That's a lot.

ABC (Australia) are covering the wedding. Just announced the details. Channel 9 is providing hours of viewing. Channel 7 will undoubtedly, just haven't announced yet. So that will be three out of the four free to air Australian networks covering it. I doubt Channel 10 will though. They don't have the budget or set up to do it and usually provide what they call 'an alternative' on Royal occasions.

https://tv.press.abc.net.au/royal-wedding-prince-harry-and-meghan-markle

WOW! Did so many American news anchors attend W&K 2011 wedding?

Yes, every network had major anchors there and additional reporters. It was a big deal with a number of specials, and features on the morning shows, leading up to the wedding.

Last edited:
Ok, I didn't expect so many big names being sent overseas for this. I mean Anderson Cooper? Christian Amanpour, and Don Lemon from CNN? And ALL of Today Show's hosts plus additional news correspondence? That's a lot.

Yeah, this wedding isn’t just about money and ratings, but this wedding will be an historic moment. Anderson Cooper covered Edward and Sophie’s wedding from Windsor. It’s going to be great to see him back there and with Don Lemon. Love it!

Well it's notable, and different, when so many people here and elsewhere bang on constantly about Harry being 'only' sixth in line to the throne (and therefore a nothing in their eyes) that the amount of coverage for this wedding equals that of the second in line in 2011.

Last edited:
America has always had an interest in British royals. From Queen Victoria’s wedding dress all the way through to films like The King’s Speech, to shows like The Crown.

If there was ever going to be an American royal event this would be it. Meghan’s American. How much of it’s tied specifically to Meghan, that’s debatable.

If Harry married a girl from Walmart there’d still be a fascination from Americans imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom