Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe a close friend of Meghan's college days was a Baptist pastor's daughter and Meghan would spend time with them. She may have heard baptist music there. And as an Australian Methodist I've been to several gospel concerts in Melbourne and in the US over the years and have enjoyed them.

Charles had a hand in picking much of the music for the Cambridge wedding. I see his hand in the choice of baroque music for this one! Interesting that the young cellist was rung personally by Meghan and asked to play.

I thought that was lovely too. It shows IMO how hands on they are with their wedding.

The choice of performers is interesting, but it suggests that they are departing somewhat from the traditional Anglican choir music which we heard at William and Kate’s wedding for example to have a more diverse mix of music. I am sure it will be nice, but Meghan will be probably criticized (again) for deviating from English tradition ( I.e. wedding cake 2.0)

So what if some complain about a deviation from the traditional, British ways of doing things? This is a wedding between two people of which only one is actually British. The wedding is going to reflect the both of them as they come together as a married couple. Its not going to be a one sided affair where one half of the couple is more "important" than the other when it comes to the marriage.

Gospel music is inspirational, joyous, and very expressive. What better touch to a very inspirational, joyous and very a happy union of two people very much in love. Its going to be one part of the ceremony. I'm sure there'll be selections geared to please the traditionalists also. :D

I believe a close friend of Meghan's college days was a Baptist pastor's daughter and Meghan would spend time with them. She may have heard baptist music there. And as an Australian Methodist I've been to several gospel concerts in Melbourne and in the US over the years and have enjoyed them.

Charles had a hand in picking much of the music for the Cambridge wedding. I see his hand in the choice of baroque music for this one! Interesting that the young cellist was rung personally by Meghan and asked to play.

The cellist also performed for Harry this past June. I love his personal touch with this wedding. I think the blending of old with new will make this an amazing wedding. Its a whole new world and the pearl clutchers will survive and get over it.

OMG, the music will be be amazing! You can never go wrong with a gospel choir. Richard Smallwood’s -Total Praise- would be wonderful, of course. Give me some joyful music that will make me want to shout!

Gospel choirs is a big thing in Sweden, and we don't have many african americans here. It's just a music genre that seems to appeal to a lot of people. (An yes, I think this has something to do with why Carl Philip and Sofia chose a gospel song to end the church ceremony - it's very common here). Perhaps both Harry and Meghan likes the music, simple as that.

OMG, the music will be be amazing! You can never go wrong with a gospel choir. Richard Smallwood’s -Total Praise- would be wonderful, of course. Give me some joyful music that will make me want to shout!

Total Praise would be fantastic, it is more spiritual and would be a good fit and quiet down the pearl clutchers.

I like Every Praise by Hezekiah Walker also.

Ok, I think we've established that gospel music isn't just in Southern Baptist, but pretty widespread in churches in general. Which makes sense if you think about it. Karen Gibson and the Kingdom Choir are NOT Southern Baptist, but they are a gospel choir.

Well in the US gospel choirs (and gospel music) are heavily associated with African American culture and churches. While Meghan didn't seem to grow up particularly religious, maybe the gospel choir is a nod to the African American side of her heritage/upbringing?

We don't know how Meghan was brought up to be honest. Just because we don't know something does not mean it does not exist. Perhaps her mother played gospel music around the house. Meghan did grow up as a part of the Agape Church in LA and they have a gospel choir.

I would love to hear Down by the Riverside myself, but that might be a little too much for some lol. I would also love Walk on By Faith. Something About the Name of Jesus, Kirk Franklin style would also be awesome lol.

Not gospel, but if they have Come Thou Fount I would be in raptures.

Is because Meghan’s biracial, a gospel choir is part of her heritage? She didn’t grow up in a Baptist or black church.

Has she ever stated she likes gospel music?

She attended the Agape Church in LA with her mother and her mother still attends. Using Google the church has a gospel choir so its safe to say she grew up exposed to gospel music and it is a part of her heritage. We are not privy to every waking moment of her life and honestly still no very little about who she is.

I just had a inspirational flash of what may happen. Can we imagine the gospel choir getting everyone into a joyous mood and then seeing the coverage flash to Lesotho and Sentebale where all of the wedding celebrants join in? Can we imagine all of us joyously clapping and singling right along?

Can't think of a better way to actually involve *everyone* whether in the Chapel or watching it by electronic transmission across the globe. Harry and Meghan did say that they wanted to include the public and that there will be surprises. I bet this is one of them. :D

I would bet my last chicken wing too that the song will be one that is universally known. That's why "This Little Light Of Mine" popped into my head.

Last edited:
Ok, I think we've established that gospel music isn't just in Southern Baptist, but pretty widespread in churches in general. Which makes sense if you think about it. Karen Gibson and the Kingdom Choir are NOT Southern Baptist, but they are a gospel choir.

This is true, gospel is not solely related to the baptist church although it was born in black churches in America. It is a style of music that is song by different denominations and around the world like Sweden, Norway, South Korea etc. etc.

I just had a inspirational flash of what may happen. Can we imagine the gospel choir getting everyone into a joyous mood and then seeing the coverage flash to Lesotho and Sentebale where all of the wedding celebrants join in? Can we imagine all of us joyously clapping and singling right along?

I don't know why, but something about that imagery made me cringe...

I like the music choices. I'm getting more and more exited about the wedding with each new bit of info getting released.

I don’t recognise any of the hymns people are mentioning. They’ll at least sing God Save The Queen at the end.

Can we imagine all of us joyously clapping and singling right along?

NO.. I DETEST 'happy-clappy/kumbaya' emoting myself...so during that 'bit' I shall be making more Tea !

OMG, I think I would cry. I'm getting a little emotional just thinking about it.

She attended the Agape Church in LA with her mother and her mother still attends. Using Google the church has a gospel choir so its safe to say she grew up exposed to gospel music and it is a part of her heritage. We are not privy to every waking moment of her life and honestly still no very little about who she is.

I never heard that she attended Agape. That is interesting.

I don’t recognise any of the hymns people are mentioning. They’ll at least sing God Save The Queen at the end.

I recommend Youtube! You may find some new praise music to enjoy (if you are a Christian). :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Absolutely! Gospel music is popular all over the world and in places with little to no black people. I know people who aren't even religious who love gospel music because they love the style and artistry. However gospel music is a very distinctly American style of music, as it can be traced to the 1700's and the black oral tradition and negro spirituals and eventually the blues (which is also a distinctly American form of music). I too was afraid of a possible "over correction" if you will regarding Meghan and her heritage, (both black and American) a feeling they'd have to basically ignore it in order to gain her acceptance. I'm glad to see that does not seem to be the case.

The pearl clutchers are going to pearl clutch. They were going to do that regardless.

(Listen if they sing Total Praise I will fall right out! That song never fails to move me.)

I don't know why, but something about that imagery made me cringe...

Me too. Not because I would have an issue with it, because personally I think it is great. However, gospel music and that style of worship has always been looked down on by some who feel it is "primitive" and not how "real Christians" comport themselves.

Absolutely! Gospel music is popular all over the world and in places with little to no black people. I know people who aren't even religious who love gospel music because they love the style and artistry. However gospel music is a very distinctly American style of music, as it can be traced to the 1700's and the black oral tradition and negro spirituals and eventually the blues (which is also a distinctly American form of music). I too was afraid of a possible "over correction" if you will regarding Meghan and her heritage, (both black and American) a feeling they'd have to basically ignore it in order to gain her acceptance. I'm glad to see that does not seem to be the case.

The pearl clutchers are going to pearl clutch. They were going to do that regardless.

(Listen if they sing Total Praise I will fall right out! That song never fails to move me.)

I am trying to not get too hyped about the gospel music selection, but if they do any of the songs mention that is a wrap for me, I will lose all sense lol.

My sisters all saw the music announcement and texted in our family group chat all excited lol as did my church choral director. Folks are pretty pleased with this wedding so far in my circles.

I am trying to not get too hyped about the gospel music selection, but if they do any of the songs mention that is a wrap for me, I will lose all sense lol.

My sisters all saw the music announcement and texted in our family group chat all excited lol as did my church choral director. Folks are pretty pleased with this wedding so far in my circles.

Agreed. I swear folks act like she's about to do "The Electric Slide" down the aisle. LOL! They will probably do one song. I could see them doing "Oh Happy Day" that's pretty popular at all kinds of weddings.

The fact is gospel music and black music and styles of worship have always been looked down on by certain segments of society. So the pearl clutching by some is no surprise. Glad to see that doesn't appear to apply to the Royal family.

Agreed. I swear folks act like she's about to do "The Electric Slide" down the aisle. LOL! They will probably do one song. I could see them doing "Oh Happy Day" that's pretty popular at all kinds of weddings.

The fact is gospel music and black music and styles of worship have always been looked down on by certain segments of society. So the pearl clutching by some is no surprise. Glad to see that doesn't appear to apply to the Royal family.

If they do not do the Cupid Shuffle, what's the point? :lol:

Total Praise would be fantastic, it is more spiritual and would be a good fit and quiet down the pearl clutchers.

I like Every Praise by Hezekiah Walker also.

You can’t go wrong with music from, Hezekiah Walker, either. Either way, I know the music selections will be great.

looked down on by certain segments of society. So the pearl clutching by some is no surprise.

Clearly you love to 'paint it so'.. the reality is that people adhere to, and are fond of their familiar traditions, and that applies to you, as much as it does to me and other members of the Church of England. And there is NOTHING wrong with that..

The cellist also performed for Harry this past June. I love his personal touch with this wedding. I think the blending of old with new will make this an amazing wedding. Its a whole new world and the pearl clutchers will survive and get over it.

Totally agree! I would not be surprised if it is Prince Harry who chose the BRITISH gospel choir to perform as this again shows how his new wife to be will find a new home in a new yet very different British culture:flowers: I also appreciate that this news came the day after the birth of baby Cambridge and expect much more wedding news after the Prince's name is announced:whistling:

NO.. I DETEST 'happy-clappy/kumbaya' emoting myself...so during that 'bit' I shall be making more Tea !

Yeah not a big fan of that either. I like more Traditional music.

Also not a fan (during Mass) of hand holding or the 'sign of peace' that takes forever with people wandering the pews looking for more hands to shake....if this doesn't happen in the Churches there consider yourself fortunate.

LaRae

Clearly you love to 'paint it so'.. the reality is that people adhere to, and are fond of their familiar traditions, and that applies to you, as much as it does to me and other members of the Church of England. And there is NOTHING wrong with that..

Absolutely. Just like for many, Thanksgiving isn't Thanksgiving without a turkey. Or Christmas isn't Christmas without the eggnog.

I would imagine that for the most part, we are going to see a typical, traditional Church of England ceremony with just a bit of a twist when it comes to one music selection. A little bit of everything that gives more meaning to Harry and Meghan's wedding by adding their own personal touches to it. Its their wedding after all.

I'm going to enjoy it no matter what they decide they want to do with any of the wedding plans. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom