Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a little confused how the idea of the Obama's attending could have ever been misconstrued as "political". Since he is no longer President they are private citizens so I don't get the political 'power play' theory although the question is now merely academic.

As to the notion of people wanting to give gifts for the Royal Couple's wedding, they just do! They are my royal family and I will make a donation since they can only use one toaster. :D

I think that the people of the UK and Commonwealth just want to share the joy that comes with a royal wedding. In the same way that William and Catherine are and will continue to be inundated with bootees, etc. upon the arrival of their third child.

That is just the way it is. :flowers:

Newpapers like the Daily Fail and the Express reported that the Obamas where invited and that Theresa May begged them not to invite the Obama's if Trump was not invited. Political tweeters used this to create viral fake news about Obama being invited and vice versa as a game of political competition. So in the long run not invited any political leaders prevents the issue from ruining their day and turning it into political theater.

I am a little confused how the idea of the Obama's attending could have ever been misconstrued as "political". Since he is no longer President they are private citizens so I don't get the political 'power play' theory although the question is now merely academic.

Some will use it as that they stand with their ideology or political beliefs.

Newpapers like the Daily Fail and the Express reported that the Obamas where invited and that Theresa May begged them not to invite the Obama's if Trump was not invited. Political tweeters used this to create viral fake news about Obama being invited and vice versa as a game of political competition. So in the long run not invited any political leaders prevents the issue from ruining their day and turning it into political theater.

I thought the concern was childish petulance possibly affecting foreign policy in the wake of Brexit?

Last edited by a moderator:

It would definitely be seen as used as a political power play move. When there were tweets 'revealing' that the Obamas were invited, so many tweeters, celebs etc tweeted, that they loved that political move, and it would be a slap on trumps face. The amount of pages the tabloids would've printed about faux outrage, had the Obamas been on the guest list, would've been endless. This all was avoided this way, by not inviting any political people at all, or anyone possibly causing a political outrage.

Even without Brexit it would be political talk. Look at the Cambridge wedding. There was a huge discussion when Tony Blair wasn't invited, while people like John Major were. Talk that his political party was being scorned. Even if Major and Thatcher were not invited as former prime ministers. They were invited because they were knights of the garter, and all knights were invited. As it wasn't a state wedding, they weren't expected to invite all the former leaders.

Its disappointing. Not because I want the grandeur of the couples there. But it does seem both Harry and Meghan have quite good relationships with the Obamas (Harry) and Trudeaus (Meghan). They would be Personal invites and not political. Sadly some people wouldn't be able to get past it.

I wasn't expecting to see many politicians or foreign royals to begin with. So no real surprise. Other then maybe the PM not going. But at the very least we will see Seeiso and his wife. I would be shocked if we don't also see a few Greek royals, and perhaps some Germans like the Franz Albrecht and some of Philip's family. Those would be 'personal invites' not official guests.

Even now, I read so many tweets saying, that they were exited to see Trump's meltdown had Obamas been at the wedding, and they're disappointed now. Who wants to be the trigger for THAT with their wedding? Imagine the 100 articles from DF & co had that been the case.

I know some were curious about coverage in the US. It seems the stations are starting to reveal their plans. CBS sent out a press release saying their coverage will kick off 4am EST / 1am PST.

It a week of coverage with a few specials and such. I am sure other networks will be revealing their schedules in the upcoming weeks as well.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv...f-Royal-Wedding-Starts-4AM-On-May-19-20180409

Last edited:
Many thanks ACO for finding and posting that article. If there was any kind of a doubt that Americans would be interested in this wedding, CBS has shown that they expect a very huge interest.

I'm also relieved in reading through the article that CBS is *not* the outlet that is going to have Samantha Grant as a "correspondent". CBS is on my "nice" list. Anymore channels here start promoting coverage, I'm going to have hubby set up another TV and really go multimedia mad on the 19th. ?

Even without Brexit it would be political talk. Look at the Cambridge wedding. There was a huge discussion when Tony Blair wasn't invited, while people like John Major were. Talk that his political party was being scorned. Even if Major and Thatcher were not invited as former prime ministers. They were invited because they were knights of the garter, and all knights were invited. As it wasn't a state wedding, they weren't expected to invite all the former leaders.
Former Prime Ministers Thatcher and Major were also invited because they were considered to be special guardians to William and Harry after Diana's death.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2007/jun/26/tonyblair.labour1

Following the death of Princess Diana in 1997, Mr Major - as he was then - was appointed special guardian to Princes Harry and William, responsible for legal and administrative matters

Last edited:
I know some were curious about coverage in the US. It seems the stations are starting to reveal their plans. CBS sent out a press release saying their coverage will kick off 4am EST / 1am PST.

It a week of coverage with a few specials and such. I am sure other networks will be revealing their schedules in the upcoming weeks as well.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv...f-Royal-Wedding-Starts-4AM-On-May-19-20180409

It must be just me, but each time I press that link, all I get is a grey blank!

Besides the working relationship between Prince Harry and Mr Obama as a private citizen it was clear to me they had a genuine friendship and mutual respect. If William was given leeway to select who he didn’t want on his guest list for his wedding, a semi-state occasion, then I struggle to understand why that same courtesy wasn’t afforded to Harry to have who he wanted. After all this is going to be a private wedding and a much smaller affair in comparison. And no I don’t believe the Prince would have been unwilling to invite to his wedding the Obamas or even just Michelle and her girls so as to spare the feelings of a President who in past had made derogatory remarks so salacious in nature about his deceased mother.

The decision to exclude political leaders was taken by the Royal Household we are told and I fear Mr Obama now a private citizen was categorised as a current politician which I think is incorrect. Just my opinion.

I came back here and people are still discussing PMs and prezzes and such----why is no one talking about my question----will the Beckhams be there? will Daniel Craig be there---Harry met him at least once.

A royal wedding should deliver two things to my door---great fashion and a little eye candy.:lol:

I came back here and people are still discussing PMs and prezzes and such----why is no one talking about my question----will the Beckhams be there? will Daniel Craig be there---Harry met him at least once.

A royal wedding should deliver two things to my door---great fashion and a little eye candy.:lol:

I don't particularly care for fashions but on the eye candy, I'm all eyes. Maybe its because I'm older and my eyesight has headed south on me but I think Sir Richard Branson falls into the category of eye candy and I'd be very surprised if Sir Richard, his wife Kristen and his children, Sam and Holly, are not invited to the wedding. :D

And Lady Glenflower can I add a big bit of *Bling* to your fashion and eye candy as every thing is of little importance here....?

Bransons....check. Bling......check. Cute children......check. Uniforms.....CHECK!

Like so many others here, I will be awake in the wee hours, Prince of Wales tea brewed, munching toast points and wallowing in the combination of tradition, glamour, and technology that is the broadcast of the royal wedding of Prince Harry to Meghan Markle.

This is SUCH fun! So glad I found this place with all these rowdy, informed and amiable (TM Jane Austen) people.

I really wish stations would include who their "royal expert" wedding correspondents will be as part of these announcements. I assume those contracts are signed at this point. It is crazy that teams are going a week in advance. I wasn't expecting that.

Looks like I'll be getting up really early then! Central time here!

LaRae

It must be just me, but each time I press that link, all I get is a grey blank!

Not sure why the link isn't working but it says their coverage runs from 4am EST - 10am EST and they will be airing all their shows from Windsor starting the beginning of the week. Similar to the NBC press release. I assume ABC will release their this week as well.

So the America stations are getting their stuff in order. It will be a nice long day of coverage to tickle your fancy.

38 days!

Are the Obamas and Trudeaus really good friends of Meghan and Harry?

Or are they people who get on well together and have some interests in common?

I don't see a true friendship - people that you know just have to be at your wedding or it wouldn't be the same. The kind of friends who you contact on a regular basis and share/d experiences with.

I have seen an enormous amount of hype in the UK media who just were itching for a row to blow up.

Are the Obamas and Trudeaus really good friends of Meghan and Harry?

Or are they people who get on well together and have some interests in common?

I don't see a true friendship - people that you know just have to be at your wedding or it wouldn't be the same. The kind of friends who you contact on a regular basis and share/d experiences with.

I have seen an enormous amount of hype in the UK media who just were itching for a row to blow up.

Harry and Obamas are at the minimum good working friends. At 600 people, he's certainly inviting people that has had a lot less interaction with due to work. They certainly share a bond strong enough that Obama gave his first post-presidency interview to Harry when that was highly coveted by a lot of journalists. As for Trudeaus, Meghan has only had personal contact with Sophie, nothing from a work perspective. They are certainly good friends with Mulroneys, and that's how Meghan knows them from. I remember she posted a picture of her and Justin having a discussion at One Young World leadership summit, and she gave a shout out to Sophie and the Mulroneys telling them they were missed. So I think we can safely say they are personal friends.

Meghan and Sophie Trudeau definitely were friendly with each other. Jessica and Meghan had a few candid pictures of the three of them shopping, doing yoga, and hanging out at events. So I think it is safe to to say the Trudeaus would have been invited on that level alone, but I completely understand the stance they took.

Last edited:
:previous: Exactly.

The Obama's weren't invited to the Cambridge wedding either. An old article:

Obamas not invited to Prince William and Kate Middleton's Royal wedding | Daily Mail Online

One difference is that William and Kate had never met the Obamas prior to their wedding. They were not friends of the Obamas, as Harry is. Meghan is also closely acquainted with the Trudeaus and they are not invited either. I think it's obvious that today's rough political climate caused chiefly by the current occupant in the WH is the main reason for treading carefully re invites of a perceived 'political' nature. I believe the Obamas and the Trudeaus would have been invited to H&M's wedding otherwise.

As we know, some heads of state were invited to W/K's wedding, but the political attendee list was allowed to be trimmed by W/K personally with the Queen's approval. Also, it's significant to note that Queen Elizabeth hosted the Obamas at a state dinner in May 2011, shortly after W/K's wedding. I also think it's significant that KP said Meghan & Harry will be meeting with the Obamas sometime after their wedding, and that both couples are looking forward to getting together.

I doubt many people in the mainstream media are aware of Meghan's connection with the Trudeaus. She knows them both and counts Sophie Trudeau as a friend, and was likely introduced to her by Jessica Mulroney. It's too bad that politics prevents H&M from inviting friends who happen to be current or former politicians. But the royals will likely make up for the decision to steer clear of inviting the Trudeaus and the Obamas by having private and public get-togethers with them in the future.

Last edited:
Trump would not have taken it well if the Obamas and the Trudeaus were invited, despite the relationships, and he wasn't. The UK government was pushing for Harry and Meghan not to invite Obama out of fear of offending Trump. I'm not sure if Trump was pushing for an invite and was hoping Teresa May would press the issue for the sake of UK-US relations. Looks like Harry and Meghan flipped the script and said no politicians, period, UK politicians too. Meghan is on the record for not being a fan of Trump, and he's probably not on Harry's good side because of the crude things Trump said about Diana. This move insured one less drama about their wedding.

Last edited:
American Presidents don’t attend royal weddings. Not for the Cambridges, not for Charles and Diana and not for Elizabeth and Philip. There was zero expectation that Trump would get an invite. He knows that.

We’re told that everyone invited to the wedding will have a personal connection to Harry and Meghan.

The fact the Obamas and Trudeaus aren’t attending is an indication that they’re not as close as we’ve been lead to believe. That’s my take.

Last edited:
I've read (not idea if accurate) Meghan is friends with the Trudeaus and had gone shopping with Mrs Trudeau.

I don't think either Harry or Meghan are 'friends' of the Obamas, they know them in passing from doing events with them but I think they are in the acquaintance category more than the friend category.

LaRae

I'm quite sure the majority of the people that will be attending are in the acquaintance category; they don't have 600 family members and friends... (probably most of the acquaintances consider themselves friends but that's a friend or family member for almost every day of the year (and they cannot overlap between them)...

The photographer of the engagement pictures is invited with his wife. He met them once! Quite sure their relationship with the Trudeaus and Obamas is closer...

I don’t think it was stated all 600 people invited would be ‘friends’ but that their would be a personal connection.

That can include charity partners, members of the military etc.

The Cambridges invited former PMs Major and Thatcher but didn’t invite Tony Blair.

No one would be upset if Sophie Trudeau attended or Michelle Obama. I just think the extent of their relationships has been exaggerated in the press

Last edited:
I don’t think it was stated all 600 people invited would be ‘friends’ but that their would be a personal connection.

That can include charity partners, members of the military etc.

The Cambridges invited former PMs Major and Thatcher but didn’t invite Tony Blair.

No one would be upset if Sophie Trudeau attended or Michelle Obama. I just think the extent of their relationships has been exaggerated in the press

I’m no too sure their friendships have been “exaggerated.” I just think Harry and Meghan are just approaching their wedding guest list differently.

One PM invited but the another not? People made a fuss over the idea of the Obamas. They papers said they "snubbed" Theresa May. I think they made the right decision overall. Keep politics out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom