Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Full statement issued by Prince Harry's communication's secretary, regarding the wedding:
"Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are extremely grateful for the warm public response following yesterday's announcement of their engagement. In a happy moment in their lives, it means a great deal to them that so many people throughout the UK, the Commonwealth, and around the world are celebrating with them.
The couple are delighted to be able to announce that their wedding will be held in St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle in May next year. As with all members of the royal family, Windsor is a very special place for Prince Harry and he and Ms Markle have regularly spent time there over the last year and a half.

I'm no longer having qualms about Windsor Castle/St. George's and am looking forward to the wedding. I'm thankful that they are figuring out ways to involve the public and that they are acknowledging that people will want to share in their special day with them.

Very excited about what Meghan and Harry will do together to help the world. Looks like Meghan is going to jump right in and get involved. Awesome.

More than an hour drive, so not possible.

Why the balcony appearance is so important?

It's just the drama and spectacle - plus way more of the public could see it. At St. George's, it looks like no more than 100-200 folks could fit around the chapel steps to see a kiss, unlike BP, where thousands upon thousands could see it. People fill up that circle in from of BP and then the entire road going back miles.

It's just so grand and amazing.

But I see why they chose St. George's - it's a very pretty venue and apparently Meghan and Harry have already spent time there.

Lainey's source is reporting that St. George is what Harry and Meghan wants, and other senior royals wanted all the pomp and circumstance if it had been up to them. Take it as what you will, but here is the link!

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will get married in May at St George’s Chapel in Windsor

I'm warming up to St. George's - and hoping we still get some of the grand processional spectacle - just on a smaller scale than London.

But I'm sure the church will be absolutely gorgeous - hopefully with flowers instead of trees and some grand carpet on the stairs, etc..

Last edited by a moderator:
More like Pippa's?
Could be.

What I am wondering is whether it will be televised in Times Square, like William's was?

Yes more like Pippa's but on a larger scale.

I have no idea about the Times Square but seeing as how Meghan is American and Harry is who he is...I'd say there's a good chance!

LaRae

I doubt if Harry was given a choice. Supposedly William wanted to get married at Windsor but the government and The Queen told him it wasn’t befitting his place in the family.

I know some people are saying he chose Windsor for personal reasons but honestly I don’t think he had much choice. WA and ST Paul’s we’re out of the question.

For those who've been concerned that Edward and Sophie's wedding indicates that the St. George's location means there will be no "pomp and circumstance," it's important to remember that E&S were specifically trying to set the tone for the fairly private life they had in mind for themselves at the time. They didn't intend to be working royals and so they didn't have a working royal's wedding. The lack of grand processions, arrivals, public kisses, etc. was a deliberate choice. Philip and Autumn's wedding at St. George's was also a private, family wedding rather than a royal one because they are not working royals.

Windsor can certainly handle as many layers of public ceremony as Meghan and Harry decide they want. I read their statement about involving the public to mean that they will find many ways to make St. George's a place for a festive public celebration. We're not going to see a repeat of Edward and Sophie's wedding, despite it being in the same church.

I'm excited about their choice. You just can't get more royal a location than the grounds of a big, historic castle, for goodness sake! St. George's is gorgeous and holds a lot of opportunity for a beautiful, romantic and, yes, overwhelmingly royal wedding.

I doubt if Harry was given a choice. Supposedly William wanted to get married at Windsor but the government and The Queen told him it wasn’t befitting his place in the family.

I know some people are saying he chose Windsor for personal reasons but honestly I don’t think he had much choice. WA and ST Paul’s we’re out of the question.

I really sincerely doubt this - Prince Andrew married there. And Harry is still the 2nd son of the future King...

But it doesn't really matter now - they've chosen Windsor.

Seems they are doing it their way as much as possible and I applaud them for that. It will be lovely

I wonder what colors Meghan will choose for her bridal party? Sophe/Edward had pages with these velvet blue capes... Kate had Pippa in white/cream... I wonder how Meghan will have her bridal party dressed?

For those who've been concerned that Edward and Sophie's wedding indicates that the St. George's location means there will be no "pomp and circumstance," it's important to remember that E&S were specifically trying to set the tone for the fairly private life they had in mind for themselves at the time. They didn't intend to be working royals and so they didn't have a working royal's wedding. The lack of grand processions, arrivals, public kisses, etc. was a deliberate choice. Philip and Autumn's wedding at St. George's was also a private, family wedding rather than a royal one because they are not working royals.

Windsor can certainly handle as many layers of public ceremony as Meghan and Harry decide they want. I read their statement about involving the public to mean that they will find many ways to make St. George's a place for a festive public celebration. We're not going to see a repeat of Edward and Sophie's wedding, despite it being in the same church.

I'm excited about their choice. You just can't get more royal a location than the grounds of a big, historic castle, for goodness sake! St. George's is gorgeous and holds a lot of opportunity for a beautiful, romantic and, yes, overwhelmingly royal wedding.

Thanks! I'm getting more excited now - I really appreciate all of the nice comments helping me see St. George's as a lovely venue and capable of supporting the pomp and circumstance I crave.

Great point about the somber tone E+S made (because of the times).

I think people forget that Andrew is the second son of the reigning Queen. Harry is the second son of the Prince of Wales. Very different

So although Andrew Married at WA, Harry was only ever going to get married at Windsor.

I like the location, although prefer to Westminster Abbey. Security issues may also have weighed on the decision. But Windsor Castle is very beautiful and has a lot of history and moreover is one of the favorite residences of the Royal family. Will be a nice wedding for sure.

I think people forget that Andrew is the second son of the reigning Queen. Harry is the second son of the Prince of Wales. Very different

So although Andrew Married at WA, Harry was only ever going to get married at Windsor.

Princess Alexandra got married in WA. She was the cousin of the monarch at the time.

Princess Alexandra got married in WA. She was the cousin of the monarch at the time.

Anyone with permission is allowed to be married at WA even non royals. But when dealing with her immediate family , The Queen likes to go by the book as much as possible. I don’t think anyone on TRF really thought Harry would get married anywhere other than Windsor.

But she was the only princess of the Blood after the Queen's aunt, the Princess Royal, and Princess Margaret. Above all Princess Marina's connections impliying a huge turnout of foreign royals, the Abbey was at the time a logical choice.

Well, Bertie, Prince of Wales married Princess Alexandra of Denmark in historic St George's. He was Queen Victoria's eldest son. Several of his siblings followed his example. I hardly think Victoria thought St George's was second rate.

So much for those who are apparently rejoicing that 'marrying at St George's shows how low Harry's stature is ' in the Royal family.

Last edited:
Well, Bertie, Prince of Wales married Princess Alexandra of Denmark in historic St George's. He was Queen Victoria's eldest son. Several of his siblings followed his example, including Vicky who married the future Emperor of Germany there. I hardly think Victoria thought St George's was second rate.

So much for those who are apparently rejoicing that 'marrying at St George's shows how low Harry's stature is ' in the Royal family.

Who is rejoicing? Queen Victoria was in mourning and the somber atmosphere played into the wedding of the Prince of Wales. It’s not been considered a model to go by. Prince Harry is the younger son of the Prince of Wales and a grandson of the reigning monarch. That’s why some thought St. George’s was more likely not because he’s less than anyone else. Not only that but Harry’s wedding was/is bound to be smaller than others who have married at Westminster although he could have still used that venue. Personally, I was 50/50 and thought it could either be Westminster Abbey or St. George’s Chapel. It seems the couple chose St. George’s which is what matters...their choice.

Well, Bertie, Prince of Wales married Princess Alexandra of Denmark in historic St George's. He was Queen Victoria's eldest son. Several of his siblings followed his example, including Vicky who married the future Emperor of Germany there. I hardly think Victoria thought St George's was second rate.

that was because Victoria was mourning Albert

St George’s is lovely. William wanted to get married there but apparently it was vetoed by the government and The Queen. They said someone in William’s position needs to be married in the Abbey

I didn’t hear about that during the lead up to his wedding. Do you have a link to an article? Just out of curiousity.

I’ve never seen the inside of St. George’s except in pictures so I’m exciting to see Harry and Meghan’s wedding. Is there a link to Edward and Sophie’s wedding?

Having recently visited St. George's Chapel I am thrilled that this will be the site for their wedding. IMO it is far lovelier than WA and has more historic ties to the Windsors too.

I agree Jacknch that new technology will help the television crews improve upon the filming and coverage that we had with Edward and Sophie's 1999 Wedding.

I visited St. George's Chapel last year, too, and it is absolutely beautiful and very historic. Unfortunately I can't remember the visit well enough now to picture where the guests will be arriving!

I do remember being disappointed by Edward and Sophie's wedding being a bit simpler. Theirs was the first royal wedding I was old enough to watch, and I was used to reading about Charles and Diana's/Andrew and Sarah's. However, Harry and Meghan seem to want to keep their relationship understated and private, so this definitely fits their personality - and after all, it's their day!

I love St. George’s. It’s beautiful. I had to drag myself out the door, I enjoyed looking around so much.

It certainly has plenty of ties to the Windsor family. I’m sure this wedding will be more elaborate than Edward and Sophie’s. They planned on a more private life than Harry and Meghan are.

St. Paul was out of question for Harry. However, I think St. George was out of question for William as he is the future monarch. I don't think WA was out of question for Harry as the spares have married there before. In fact, all the recent royal weddings at St. George, with the exception of PoW and DoC, has been for royals not expected to keep their jobs outside of the Firm. PoW and DoC obviously had a different issue. I don't think anyone would've denied Harry a wedding at the Abbey if he really wanted to marry there, but he certainly had St. George as a realistic choice (obviously) whereas William didn't even if William would've preferred it.

Did Harry's aunt and uncles and their respective spouses have "balcony kisses"?

Anne no - not done then.

Andrew yes.

The first balcony kiss was Charles and Diana so has only been by Andrew and William as they are the only two weddings with the opportunity since the first so there has only ever been three balcony kisses.

Are we sure it's going to be televised? There are no camera's allowed in St George's Chapel.
To avoid mistakes or confusion: I'd love to watch their wedding on TV, it's just because of the general protocol there.

Edward and Sophie's wedding and Charles and Camilla's blessing were both televised from St George's Chapel.

They don't allow television cameras to film the internment when a person dies - hence no coverage there of the Queen Mum's final internment on the day of her funeral but they do allow weddings to be televised in there.

I think there were many factors taken into consideration. I'm sure both WA and St. George were possibilities from a purely protocol standpoint. But I do think KP saying Windsor is close to the couple's heart is most significant.

I think a major factor was the age and health of Philip. WA has a long walk down the aisle that he would have to have made. At St George's if he, or the Queen, feel a bit down that day then they can use the same entrance that the Queen Mum used for Edward and Sophie's and so save them that very long walk as well as the stress of the ride through the streets in those uncomfortable carriages etc.

I'm warming up to St. George's - and hoping we still get some of the grand processional spectacle - just on a smaller scale than London.

But I'm sure the church will be absolutely gorgeous - hopefully with flowers instead of trees and some grand carpet on the stairs, etc..

Honestly, regardless of the church and anything else, the most I'm moved by is the couple. It was REALLY amazing to see them in that interview together. I was a fan before, but WOW. Given the confirmation that the couple has spent time at Windsor regularly and how it's close to their heart, I can be happy with the choice.

There will still be some must invites, but far less than William's. I don't think normal people can count 800 in family and close friends.

I was trying to make the point that the difference in capacity could have been one of the deciding factors. Has it been made clear whether it is a family wedding or a state occasion, that then reflects on the must invites. There is no need to be all picky about how many friends and family they might have.

I hope Harry receives the Garter before the wedding so that his banner can hang in the chapel at his wedding. (Although perhaps those aren't added until the installation. And Edward had to wait too. Sigh.)

Banners don't go up until they are installed and that is done on Garter Day.

Edward and Sophie's wedding and Charles and Camilla's blessing were both televised from St George's Chapel.

They don't allow television cameras to film the internment when a person dies - hence no coverage there of the Queen Mum's final internment on the day of her funeral but they do allow weddings to be televised in there.

I would be surprised if the wedding were not televised.

I expect a fairly normal high church service with choir music only.

Andrew's wedding was attended by several guests from foreign royal families including several reigning monarchs. Somehow, I don't see that happening with Harry's wedding. What do you think ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom