Harry and Meghan: Tour of Southern Africa - September 23-October 2, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
“Prince Harry to his Botswanan hosts in the boat: “Everything is good in the world - apart from us humans”. He said it three times”

Via Chris Ship Twitter

Except for the fact that he’s right though. We are the ones causing all the problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Except for the fact that he’s right though. We are the ones causing all the problems.

I wonder what his solution is to all of us ‘awful humans’.

Can you honestly look at everything that happens and say we are not the problem?? That doesn’t mean humanity is awful, it does mean it’s good to more mindful of the world around us. We are not alone on this planet, but what we do affects everything.

Can you honestly look at everything that happens and say we are not the problem?? That doesn’t mean humanity is awful, it does mean it’s good to more mindful of the world around us. We are not alone on this planet, but what we do affects everything.

I agree. Humans are the highest form of intelligence on this third rock from the Sun and look how we've taken care of it for future generations. Humans are not the sole problem that is destroying our Earth but we're not really doing all we can to stop the damage either.

As for staying in bed, sometimes that's the best staycation a person can have. Especially if joined by someone to share the blankets with. Love is staying up all night with a sick kid.... or a healthy adult. ;)

I can't say what Harry's solution is but I can say as a collective whole we humans are awful, in the way that we treat one another, in way we are careless with our resources. That being said we are humans and we can improve, do better by treating each other with respect and still hold each accountable for our actions. To look for ways to protect our resources (water, trees, plant etc.).

Harry has named dropped Greta Thunberg, talked about climate change deniers and said humans are what’s wrong with the earth.

It’s perfectly within the rules to post his utterances here and give comment on them.

We are also the ones with the potential to create the solutions. There is a very great deal of ugliness in the world, but ignoring the little beacons of hope, grace and beauty is a sad way to live. It's ultimately also a self-defeating way to live, because if humans are all awful, then staying in bed sounds reasonable, but won't get much done in the way of fixing things.

While I wish Harry had put less emphasis on how terrible it all is, both of the Sussexes seem to be putting most of their energy into trying to make things better, so hopefully his comments were taken out of context, and not indicative of his overall philosophy.

We are also the ones with the potential to create the solutions. There is a very great deal of ugliness in the world, but ignoring the little beacons of hope, grace and beauty is a sad way to live. It's ultimately also a self-defeating way to live, because if humans are all awful, then staying in bed sounds reasonable, but won't get much done in the way of fixing things.

While I wish Harry had put less emphasis on how terrible it all is, both of the Sussexes seem to be putting most of their energy into trying to make things better, so hopefully his comments were taken out of context, and not indicative of his overall philosophy.

I think it was one sentence, said threw times. T hats it. Most of the emphasis of this tour and all the interviews have been in hope and the positive work people are doing. I'm not going to fault Harry for laying the blame where it belongs, us humans. It's necessary too, in order to change that behaviour.

Please note that several posts and responses alluding to Harry's mental state/health have been edited or deleted. Such posts DO go beyond what is acceptable to post on The Royal Forums.

Harry has named dropped Greta Thunberg, talked about climate change deniers and said humans are what’s wrong with the earth.

It’s perfectly within the rules to post his utterances here and give comment on them.

Of course... but is he wrong? We are the awful to his planet and everything on it. I don't see how anyone can really deny it. That said we also have the power to turn it around and I hope we do.

According to the Chris Ship twitter that you quoted (#271), "awful" is not a word he used in his twitter. It is you who said it, not him.

Last edited:
People have heavily criticised Charles in the past for being too political in regards to environmental issues, since traditionally, as is widely known, royals and politics aren't meant to mix. However, the Sussexes seem to be trying to change things as they rightly seem to be more concerned about the public and how these issues will affect them rather than what they should or shouldn't say. Harry and Meghan in particular are so influential; and people are more likely to listen to figures like them or Greta Thurnberg rather than politicians on issues such as climate change.

“Prince Harry to his Botswanan hosts in the boat: “Everything is good in the world - apart from us humans”. He said it three times”

Via Chris Ship Twitter
Prince Harry is a very wise man. Good for him.

Last edited:
The Duke of Sussex in Angola:

desmond tutu is truly great - his smile is a million watts! a delight to see him.

with respect to archie, finally they are getting him out and about! after restrictions on the birth being private, on his hermetic introduction in windsor (kate presented her 3 kids surrounded by whoever wanted to come to be part of the ocassion) and his parents insisting on a private christening, it was about time. he looks like a good mix of both harry and meghan.

it bugs me that meghan always greets people before harry - did they not teach her about protocol and precedence? it is almost as if harry married her because he wants less attention on him, as she is happy to take the spotlight. i also agree that i don't share their love for hugging and kissing everyone - they are royals, not celebrities.

In regards to Archie, it is up to his parents when & who he is introduced to the public, Royal or not. Of course we fans would love to see more or him, but they know what is best for him and their family.

As for Meghan or harry greeting people 1st, Whatevesssssssss. Like it was mentioned in other post. Other Male royals I have seen over the years introduced their wives before themselves. Outside of certain countries where the men are front & center. It is not a Massive Deal, or course it is Meghan so, I guess it is a big deal.

However, love what she is doing. Magazine selling out within 2 weeks, Clothing collections raising tons of money & also selling out like crazy. The Sussex's charities are doing amazingly well for THE FIRM. That is what is important.

That is so sweet, that is old school.

He seems like a truly happy baby.

Not at all uncommon here to hear little boys called that.

LaRae

I agree, these are very poor areas they are visiting and Meghan has pitched it just right. No expensive outfits or flashy jewels, while still looking beautiful, appropriate and comfortable.

I agree, not over the top, but REAL. I loved they said for everyone to just call them Harry & Meghan.

Not at all uncommon here to hear little boys called that.

LaRae

I know that, but it is an Old School nickname

I'm not sure what is meant by "old school" but it's an extremely common nickname for little boys in large parts of the US--it's even kind of generic, where an unfamiliar young child might be called or addressed that way: "Hey, bubba, need some help?" or similar. And it's never gone out of style, so Meghan using it for her own munchkin is a nice tieback to her roots.

It is very American...nice to hear it..and rather sweet.

LaRae

Yeah I call my nephew bubba. Very common in the US for sure but not uncommon in the UK either.

I had no clue about 'Bubba' being a common nickname (while I lived in the States but apparently is more common in the South), so learned something new today.

For other that similarly had no clue: it even has it's own Wikipedia-page.

It is very American...nice to hear it..and rather sweet.

LaRae

I wouldn't say exclusively American; I know a lot of parents here in London who call their children (boys and girls) "bubba" or "bubs". It's my cat's nickname too :D

Yeah I call my nephew bubba. Very common in the US for sure but not uncommon in the UK either.

Really? I lived in England for almost 20 years and both my boys were born there and I’ve never in my life come across a ‘bubba’.

Is there some other cultural connotation that I’m not familiar with with?

No not exclusively...but to me, American in the midwest but from the south, this is very American verbage...nice to hear it used elsewhere.

LaRae

I've lived all over the US, and I'd say it's most common in the South and the West, including the Southwest. "Bud" or "Buddy" is another variation, and pretty common everywhere.

I've listened to that tape a few times and I don't hear Meghan calling him 'Bubba'.

Really? I lived in England for almost 20 years and both my boys were born there and I’ve never in my life come across a ‘bubba’.

Is there some other cultural connotation that I’m not familiar with with?

I also lived in the UK and spend a good portion of my year there and at least 3 of my british friends call their baby sons bubba as a term of endearment or used when they were smaller. It is not uncommon in the UK---just as I said.

Its a cute/silly term of endearment used for boy babies. Its sometimes used as a name for a brother. Sometimes used in the pejorative, in the US. It just depends on the context/region.

Now afaik, its very much a term only for babies in the UK [i've never met an adult bubba in the UK, but i am sure they exist], versus in the US adults are sometimes called bubba as well as a nickname in parts.

Not sure why a simple cute baby name is causing so much conversation lol.

Last edited:
I've listened to that tape a few times and I don't hear Meghan calling him 'Bubba'.

She says it like “boo-bah” but she called him that twice. Once outside as they were walking down the corridor and again inside on the couch.

The Duke of Sussex follows in his mother’s footsteps through minefield-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom