Harry and Meghan: Tour of Southern Africa - September 23-October 2, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very exciting. And then their first engagement in just a few hours!

What I want is him WITHOUT a hat to check the colour of his hair !!!!!

This is a very humble welcome! Shouldn't there be some dignitaries at least from the British Embassy?

‘The Justice Desk’ - The human rights community project that was visited is run by a safe pair of hands politically as its founder Jessica Dewhurst is an award-winning Human Rights defender and social developer. ...”She has received awards from South African president Jacob Zuma, Prince Edward, Countess Sophie, Lead SA, The Young Independents, and most recently she became a Queen's Young Leader, receiving a medal from Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II in Buckingham Palace.”

This is a very humble welcome! Shouldn't there be some dignitaries at least from the British Embassy?

Actually, South Africa is in the Commonwealth. We in that organisation don't have Embassies in each other's countries.

Last edited:
That's very sweet, and I'm sure little Pillar of Strength will live up to it in future years. And well done Harry and Meghan for a wonderful start to their tour. Their speeches came from the heart, you can tell.

The speeches were very nice, and the photos from this first engagement were lovely. The one thing that is guaranteed in these royal tours is that children will be hugged and heartwarming photos will ensue, so the Sussexes are fulfilling that perfectly.

A very good start to the tour.

Part of the tour coverage:

:previous:
But it was a humble welcome, or not? I am not so familiar with second row British royals visits abroad.

This was not an official arrival, with reporters or politicians at the airport. It was completely private, some photos just taken by other travelers.

The DM certainly had things scoped out at the airport.

LaRae

Lots of whoops and cheers on their arrival at the Museums. They are really hitting the ground running in their first day. Terrific, and a lot of photos, videos.

I wouldn't have described the Sussexes long tour of Australasia and the Pacific last October, as particularly 'humble' but then I don't think of Harry or Meghan as second row royals either.

This tour seems like it's been going fabulously so far - it's been great to see the Sussexes do what they do best: interacting with the public. I'm looking forward into seeing it unfold.

Did Bonita Bennett (the museum director) attempt a "half-curtsy" to the Duke and the Duchess ? That is weird since South Africa is now a republic.

I think that with bowing and curtsying being something that is optional and not a set protocol, no matter who it is or where the person comes from, if we see them bowing or curtsying, its not a gesture of deference but rather of respect.

I'm behind on catching up on this tour but I'm happy to hear they've arrived safely and have hit the ground running. I think this is going to be a very successful tour and we've quite a bit more to look forward to in the upcoming days.

The Duke and Duchess at the District 6 Museum:

Did Bonita Bennett (the museum director) attempt a "half-curtsy" to the Duke and the Duchess ? That is weird since South Africa is now a republic.

Hmm, weird? From what I have seen, she was the first person there, which treated the Sussexes like royals and not like, yeah, hmm, what do I know, like Angelina Jolie visiting a Favela, a Township, a Refugee Camp or something.

They look relaxed! I hope the jet lag doesn't zonk them out. :D

I dont think there is a big time difference between UK and Africa…. I think (not sure) two hours….

Cape Town is one hour ahead of London.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom