Harry and Meghan: Tour of Southern Africa - September 23-October 2, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are people in this forum really implying that Royal family should only care about themselves?

My point is about being a good world citizen and socially conscious about your surroundings, especially the country you are visiting.

I am black - was born in Tanzania and raised in USA. I will hate to think that people need to be Business as usual when there is crisis unless it affects them. Anyway - That's all i am going to say about the subject.

Are people in this forum really implying that Royal family should only care about themselves?

My point is about being a good world citizen and socially conscious about your surroundings, especially the country you are visiting.

I am black - was born in Tanzania and raised in USA. I will hate to think that people need to be Business as usual when there is crisis unless it affects them. Anyway - That's all i am going to say about the subject.

Nobody said anything of what you are implying. I am just saying I don't see any unreasonable risk to the Sussexes on that tour that would warrant it being called off. In fact, I would be far more worried about the Cambridges' tour to Pakistan, which is far more risky in terms of security concerns.

The royal family shouldn't care only about themselves and that's not the point of an official royal tour anyway.

However, I don't think this visit is going to do anything either way. Certainly I don't think the security situation for South Africans is going to be negatively affected, it won't be on a big enough scale. It might be that the government of SA has decided that this would be a piece of "good world news" for SA at this time, which can be sorely needed, even if it's fluffy.

Also don't forget that where there's a Royal Tour, FCO diplomats etc follow in their wake waving trade agreements and treaties, which is why both want it to go ahead presumably.

I have relatives in Port Elizabeth and Johannesburg (though white ones) and they're worried about the situation and I really get your concerns but it doesn't seem like it's going to be helped by cancelling this trip, though I haven't yet asked their opinion.

i didn't say anything about cancelling a trip.
I was responding to some of the members who are minimize the severity of the situation and how it affects so many of us even though we are not physically present in SA.

Jetting off to New York aside, I am sure Meghan has been doing the homework on the situation in Southern Africa especially the plight of women in South Africa where she will be based. Given Meghan’s recent political cause endorsements in Vogue magazine it might be wiser to take a different tact while on the forthcoming work schedule in Africa:

Royals in South Africa: Don’t preach here, Meghan Markle is warned http://shr.gs/KJSHkSP

Last edited:
I am certain the Sussexes are preparing for the tour and reviewing what rakes not to trip. The Vogue issue was not political; the beliefs are not being lobbied for legislation. I still find it unbelievable that a woman who marries into the BRF is required to dumb herself down and dump her friends in the entertainment industry to be acceptable in some quarters. As long as the friends aren't committing crimes there is no problem.

Jetting off to New York aside, I am sure Meghan has been doing the homework on the situation in Southern Africa especially the plight of women in South Africa where she will be based. Given Meghan’s recent political cause endorsements in Vogue magazine it might be wiser to take a different tact while on the forthcoming work schedule in Africa:

Royals in South Africa: Don’t preach here, Meghan Markle is warned http://shr.gs/KJSHkSP

Meghan is not new to Africa or situations there. She wasn't only acting prior to meeting Harry. Google her involvement in women's causes (women in countries like Africa) prior to 2016

LaRae

I'm sure both Meghan and Harry are being briefed on what they may and may not say during their visit in SA, but Africa is not a country, it is a continent, with a diversity of political and social issues, as well as sensitivities. I'm confident that both the Sussexes will be well prepared, but familiarity with one region of the African continent does not imply mastery of all regions.

Last edited:
This won't be Meghan's first rodeo. She was perfectly fine on the tour last year and this year's whirlwind Morocco tour, she'll be fine again. Lack of prep work for engagements is not a problem for her and she's well travelled and worked with charities in some sensitive areas, such as India for World Vision Canada.

Meghan is not new to Africa or situations there. She wasn't only acting prior to meeting Harry. Google her involvement in women's causes (women in countries like Africa) prior to 2016

LaRae

I remember when they were just dating and somewhere, a picture was posted of both Harry and Meghan with their respective causes in Africa. Harry was pictured with the children of Sentebale in Lesotho and Meghan was pictured with children in Rwanda.

Right there and then I saw how two people had similar interests in Africa and its people and it just cemented reasons for me to believe these two people were created for each other. :D

This is going to be their second tour of the continent of African; first time was when they toured Morocco.

Ista - you are right, Africa is not a country, it is a continent, with a diversity of political and social issues, as well as sensitivities.

Most people would understand that Europe as a continent (with 28 ? countries) is diverse politically and socially. It is the same in Africa, each country (54 countries altogether) is an independent sovereign state, and no other country in Africa or the world has power over the country's territory.

So ordinary person travelling between these four countries, S.Africa, Malawi, Angola, and Botswana, would need to apply for four visas, one from each of these four countries.

Last edited:

LaRae

I apologise I wasn’t aware of Meghan’s involvement in Africa and anything else since I wasn’t aware of her existence prior to her royal romance and engagement. However, her role is quite different now, especially in Commonwealth countries in Southern Africa where Harry will visit As Meghan stays in South Africa which is also a Commonwealth member. So I wish she will make successful connections to the communities she will meet without any gaffes concerning sexual politics for a royal like she did with that lady senator in Dublin on her maiden overseas visit as a royal.

I apologise I wasn’t aware of Meghan’s involvement in Africa and anything else since I wasn’t aware of her existence prior to her royal romance and engagement. However, her role is quite different now, especially in Commonwealth countries in Southern Africa where Harry will visit As Meghan stays in South Africa which is also a Commonwealth member. So I wish she will make successful connections to the communities she will meet without any gaffes concerning sexual politics for a royal like she did with that lady senator in Dublin on her maiden overseas visit as a royal.

The Irish woman made the gaffe, not Meghan. Catherine Noone made an assumption and put words into Meghan’s mouth. She had to retract it.

The Irish woman made the gaffe, not Meghan. Catherine Noone made an assumption and put words into Meghan’s mouth. She had to retract it.

Not so according to the dogs in the street. The Senator is a very media savvy politician. What was said in Ireland was meant to stay in Ireland. The senator was “corrected” by her ruling party, in government as is the polite way to treat erring guests as expected. Do you seriously think Meghan was deeply saddened or even neutral by the referendum result?

Not so according to the dogs in the street. The Senator is a very media savvy politician. What was said in Ireland was meant to stay in Ireland. The senator was “corrected” by her ruling party, in government as is the polite way to treat erring guests as expected. Do you seriously think Meghan was deeply saddened or even neutral by the referendum result?

No I’m quite certain she was happy with the results, as were most Irish people apparently. But since there is no way to know for sure what she did or did not say we will just have to take the senator at her word. Unless of course she has a history of lying.

Also, as far as I remember the subjects talked about in the Vogue edition are not political. At least not in the Western world. And if they are, they shouldn’t be.

No I’m quite certain she was happy with the results, as were most Irish people apparently. But since there is no way to know for sure what she did or did not say we will just have to take the senator at her word. Unless of course she has a history of lying.

Also, as far as I remember the subjects talked about in the Vogue edition are not political. At least not in the Western world. And if they are, they shouldn’t be.

It might not be a matter of lying just her opinion. She brought up the referendum, something which should never have been addressed in the first place. She noted Meghan seemed pleased by the outcome. All we really know is Meghan knew the referendum happened. Not how she reacted or if she said or what she said about it either. Third hand accounts are hardly evidence.

I'm sure both Meghan and Harry are being briefed on what they may and may not say during their visit in SA, but Africa is not a country, it is a continent, with a diversity of political and social issues, as well as sensitivities. I'm confident that both the Sussexes will be well prepared, but familiarity with one region of the African continent does not imply mastery of all regions.

As far as we know Meghan will only be going to South Africa, Harry to the other three. This trip has been months in advance. They will have had plenty of time for briefings and research on what areas they will cover when they are there.

Harry has been, with the exception of Angola, been to the countries in question before. This is not a 'we know Africa in general'. Harry has done hands on conservation work in both Malawi and Botswana. Meghan has been with him to Botswana on one of those trips.

first day:
-will tour a workshop for kids which teaches them safety and self-awareness including self-defense classes
-a visit to a township museum
-a cooking demonstration

second day:
-waves for change which uses surfing as a way to mentor kids through mental health issues. Nice tie in with heads together.
-Lunch box fund- they are well aquainted with this as it is one of the charities they chose to support instead of gifts for Archie
-Harry will meet the royal marines
-the couple will meet faith leaders at the first mosque
-dinner at the high commisioner's

third:
-Harry and Meghan will met with Tutu and his wife and discus Tutu's foundation
-Harry will travel to Botswana
-Meghan will tour Woodstock which supports female entrepeneurs and investors

fourth:
-Harry will visit a project for Sentebale and spend the night at a de-mining camp in Angola
-Meghan will attend a breakfast held by the high commisioner for female entrepeneurs

fifth:
-Harry will participate at the de-mining camp
-will unveil the new Queen's canopy initiative
-visit where his mother's land mine photo was taken

six:
-meeting with president of Angola and then tour a hospital

seventh:
-Harry will attend an university and meet female students in Malawi
-meet the president and dinner at the British high commisioners

eighth:
-during a visit to a national park he will attend a tribute to a Coldstream guard who died in May on an anti-pocher campaign

ninth:
-Harry will join his wife in Johanesberg
-they will attend a roundtable for the ACU which Meghan is patron of
-Meghan will tour a school to learn about a charity funded in the UK, which helps raise awareness for sexual abuse

tenth:
-the couple will visit a township youth unemployment program
-they will meet with Nelson Mandela's widow
-reception with local entrepeneurs
-meeting with Ramaphosa and his wife to end the tour

Nothing controvercial. Meghan is not going to be out doing protests and trying to lecture people. They will be going on tours of some programs in the area and learning about them. The only talk she really is involved with is the ACU round table which she is patron of and will have spent plenty of time learning about.

Fingers crossed for Archie pics! lol

LaRae

I would like to see Archie but on the Sussexes' terms. I've seen news stories that Archie's appearance is "key" to the tour's success. How Harry and Meghan approach their engagements is key.

I would like to see Archie but on the Sussexes' terms. I've seen news stories that Archie's appearance is "key" to the tour's success. How Harry and Meghan approach their engagements is key.

As someone who has absolutely no interest in seeing an appearance by Archie (solely because I have no interest in appearances by royal babies, regardless of who they are), I respectfully disagree with your perspective, Madame Verseau. If there is a shortage of sightings of Archie on this tour, that will be the only thing reported and remembered about the tour. They can have the best engagements in the world, but the point of engagements is to bring awareness to causes. If the narrative turns into something else, the, well, "engagement" of the causes is just not there.

I don't think anyone is saying that they want Archie bouncing on Meghan's hip as she is greeting crowds or in a knapsack peeking over Harry's shoulder when he's making a speech.

However I am old enough to remember the first Royal baby who was taken on tour with his parents, William in Australasia in 1983. A photo opportunity of parents and baby was provided, all of them sitting on a rug with a couple of toys for William. It didn't dominate that tour by any means, but it still attracted attention as a very sweet and pleasant occasion.

I actually won't be that surprised if we don't see any clear photos of Archie, although it would be nice if we did. I think this was discussed further upthread.

I have a feeling the most we may see him is when they arrive. He will be younger then George was when he went to Australia and he accompanied his parents to an event.

I have a feeling the most we may see him is when they arrive. He will be younger then George was when he went to Australia and he accompanied his parents to an event.
Hasn't it been known that there won't be a photo-op at the arrival? Also given how all the British reporters are stuck at Heathrow we'll be lucky to get any pics at all if they don't get there in time.

As someone who has absolutely no interest in seeing an appearance by Archie (solely because I have no interest in appearances by royal babies, regardless of who they are), I respectfully disagree with your perspective, Madame Verseau. If there is a shortage of sightings of Archie on this tour, that will be the only thing reported and remembered about the tour. They can have the best engagements in the world, but the point of engagements is to bring awareness to causes. If the narrative turns into something else, the, well, "engagement" of the causes is just not there.

If the tour "success" depends on the sightings and photo ops of a 4 month old baby, then that's REALLY weird. Babies aren't robots or machines, and it can very well be, that Archie is in a cranky mood, cries a lot during this tour. He's also not a working royal, he is just a 4 month old child. The tour success simply cannot be based on how many times Archie is going to be seen.

So happy they're meeting Desmond Tutu. One of those people who always make me smile. Lovely man.

Can't wait for the pictures.

I have always believed that the quickest and easiest course of action is to do a family arrival with photos. That way the baby photos can be reported right away, no one is wondering and waiting to see the baby, no one keeps asking about the baby and a baby sighting doesn’t interrupt other engagement reporting during the tour. It’s over and done with and the baby doesn’t have to be seen until going home. It also makes for a positive, happy beginning for a tour.

Unfortunately, the Sussexes have decided on no media coverage for arrivals or departures, so I’m sure the reporters will be whining about seeing Archie all the time.
I expect there is an embargoed engagement planed where they might bring Archie.

Last edited:
I don’t need to see Archie. I’m good with them just posting a picture from a private engagement. Though I’m sure there will be at least one moment. Rumor has it will be a The rhino sanctuary that Harry visited a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom