The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #121  
Old 09-06-2019, 01:20 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 322
Are people in this forum really implying that Royal family should only care about themselves?

My point is about being a good world citizen and socially conscious about your surroundings, especially the country you are visiting.

I am black - was born in Tanzania and raised in USA. I will hate to think that people need to be Business as usual when there is crisis unless it affects them. Anyway - That's all i am going to say about the subject.
__________________

  #122  
Old 09-06-2019, 01:29 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by tausi View Post
Are people in this forum really implying that Royal family should only care about themselves?

My point is about being a good world citizen and socially conscious about your surroundings, especially the country you are visiting.

I am black - was born in Tanzania and raised in USA. I will hate to think that people need to be Business as usual when there is crisis unless it affects them. Anyway - That's all i am going to say about the subject.

Nobody said anything of what you are implying. I am just saying I don't see any unreasonable risk to the Sussexes on that tour that would warrant it being called off. In fact, I would be far more worried about the Cambridges' tour to Pakistan, which is far more risky in terms of security concerns.
__________________

  #123  
Old 09-06-2019, 01:34 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,654
The royal family shouldn't care only about themselves and that's not the point of an official royal tour anyway.

However, I don't think this visit is going to do anything either way. Certainly I don't think the security situation for South Africans is going to be negatively affected, it won't be on a big enough scale. It might be that the government of SA has decided that this would be a piece of "good world news" for SA at this time, which can be sorely needed, even if it's fluffy.

Also don't forget that where there's a Royal Tour, FCO diplomats etc follow in their wake waving trade agreements and treaties, which is why both want it to go ahead presumably.

I have relatives in Port Elizabeth and Johannesburg (though white ones) and they're worried about the situation and I really get your concerns but it doesn't seem like it's going to be helped by cancelling this trip, though I haven't yet asked their opinion.
  #124  
Old 09-06-2019, 01:55 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 322
i didn't say anything about cancelling a trip.
I was responding to some of the members who are minimize the severity of the situation and how it affects so many of us even though we are not physically present in SA.
  #125  
Old 09-08-2019, 06:10 AM
Dalriada's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 372
Harry and Meghan: Tour of Southern Africa - September 23-October 2, 2019

Jetting off to New York aside, I am sure Meghan has been doing the homework on the situation in Southern Africa especially the plight of women in South Africa where she will be based. Given Meghan’s recent political cause endorsements in Vogue magazine it might be wiser to take a different tact while on the forthcoming work schedule in Africa:

Royals in South Africa: Don’t preach here, Meghan Markle is warned http://shr.gs/KJSHkSP
  #126  
Old 09-08-2019, 06:50 AM
Madame Verseau's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Louisville, United States
Posts: 1,784
I am certain the Sussexes are preparing for the tour and reviewing what rakes not to trip. The Vogue issue was not political; the beliefs are not being lobbied for legislation. I still find it unbelievable that a woman who marries into the BRF is required to dumb herself down and dump her friends in the entertainment industry to be acceptable in some quarters. As long as the friends aren't committing crimes there is no problem.
  #127  
Old 09-08-2019, 08:37 AM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalriada View Post
Jetting off to New York aside, I am sure Meghan has been doing the homework on the situation in Southern Africa especially the plight of women in South Africa where she will be based. Given Meghan’s recent political cause endorsements in Vogue magazine it might be wiser to take a different tact while on the forthcoming work schedule in Africa:

Royals in South Africa: Don’t preach here, Meghan Markle is warned http://shr.gs/KJSHkSP
Meghan is not new to Africa or situations there. She wasn't only acting prior to meeting Harry. Google her involvement in women's causes (women in countries like Africa) prior to 2016



LaRae
  #128  
Old 09-08-2019, 08:47 AM
Ista's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 3,355
I'm sure both Meghan and Harry are being briefed on what they may and may not say during their visit in SA, but Africa is not a country, it is a continent, with a diversity of political and social issues, as well as sensitivities. I'm confident that both the Sussexes will be well prepared, but familiarity with one region of the African continent does not imply mastery of all regions.
  #129  
Old 09-08-2019, 09:23 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,654
This won't be Meghan's first rodeo. She was perfectly fine on the tour last year and this year's whirlwind Morocco tour, she'll be fine again. Lack of prep work for engagements is not a problem for her and she's well travelled and worked with charities in some sensitive areas, such as India for World Vision Canada.
  #130  
Old 09-08-2019, 09:24 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Meghan is not new to Africa or situations there. She wasn't only acting prior to meeting Harry. Google her involvement in women's causes (women in countries like Africa) prior to 2016



LaRae
I remember when they were just dating and somewhere, a picture was posted of both Harry and Meghan with their respective causes in Africa. Harry was pictured with the children of Sentebale in Lesotho and Meghan was pictured with children in Rwanda.

Right there and then I saw how two people had similar interests in Africa and its people and it just cemented reasons for me to believe these two people were created for each other.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #131  
Old 09-08-2019, 10:59 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 753
This is going to be their second tour of the continent of African; first time was when they toured Morocco.

Ista - you are right, Africa is not a country, it is a continent, with a diversity of political and social issues, as well as sensitivities.

Most people would understand that Europe as a continent (with 28 ? countries) is diverse politically and socially. It is the same in Africa, each country (54 countries altogether) is an independent sovereign state, and no other country in Africa or the world has power over the country's territory.

So ordinary person travelling between these four countries, S.Africa, Malawi, Angola, and Botswana, would need to apply for four visas, one from each of these four countries.
  #132  
Old 09-08-2019, 01:59 PM
Dalriada's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Meghan is not new to Africa or situations there. She wasn't only acting prior to meeting Harry. Google her involvement in women's causes (women in countries like Africa) prior to 2016







LaRae


I apologise I wasn’t aware of Meghan’s involvement in Africa and anything else since I wasn’t aware of her existence prior to her royal romance and engagement. However, her role is quite different now, especially in Commonwealth countries in Southern Africa where Harry will visit As Meghan stays in South Africa which is also a Commonwealth member. So I wish she will make successful connections to the communities she will meet without any gaffes concerning sexual politics for a royal like she did with that lady senator in Dublin on her maiden overseas visit as a royal.
  #133  
Old 09-08-2019, 02:19 PM
O-H Anglophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalriada View Post
I apologise I wasn’t aware of Meghan’s involvement in Africa and anything else since I wasn’t aware of her existence prior to her royal romance and engagement. However, her role is quite different now, especially in Commonwealth countries in Southern Africa where Harry will visit As Meghan stays in South Africa which is also a Commonwealth member. So I wish she will make successful connections to the communities she will meet without any gaffes concerning sexual politics for a royal like she did with that lady senator in Dublin on her maiden overseas visit as a royal.
The Irish woman made the gaffe, not Meghan. Catherine Noone made an assumption and put words into Meghan’s mouth. She had to retract it.
  #134  
Old 09-08-2019, 02:33 PM
Dalriada's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 372
Harry and Meghan: Tour of Southern Africa - September 23-October 2, 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
The Irish woman made the gaffe, not Meghan. Catherine Noone made an assumption and put words into Meghan’s mouth. She had to retract it.


Not so according to the dogs in the street. The Senator is a very media savvy politician. What was said in Ireland was meant to stay in Ireland. The senator was “corrected” by her ruling party, in government as is the polite way to treat erring guests as expected. Do you seriously think Meghan was deeply saddened or even neutral by the referendum result?
  #135  
Old 09-08-2019, 02:45 PM
Elenath's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nuth, Netherlands
Posts: 826
Harry and Meghan: Tour of Southern Africa - September 23-October 2, 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalriada View Post
Not so according to the dogs in the street. The Senator is a very media savvy politician. What was said in Ireland was meant to stay in Ireland. The senator was “corrected” by her ruling party, in government as is the polite way to treat erring guests as expected. Do you seriously think Meghan was deeply saddened or even neutral by the referendum result?


No I’m quite certain she was happy with the results, as were most Irish people apparently. But since there is no way to know for sure what she did or did not say we will just have to take the senator at her word. Unless of course she has a history of lying.

Also, as far as I remember the subjects talked about in the Vogue edition are not political. At least not in the Western world. And if they are, they shouldn’t be.
  #136  
Old 09-08-2019, 05:52 PM
Madame Verseau's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Louisville, United States
Posts: 1,784
News about the Sussexes' tour of South Africa

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...xtinction.html

And it looks like the Sussexes will go to Malawi and Angola.
  #137  
Old 09-08-2019, 07:00 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
No I’m quite certain she was happy with the results, as were most Irish people apparently. But since there is no way to know for sure what she did or did not say we will just have to take the senator at her word. Unless of course she has a history of lying.

Also, as far as I remember the subjects talked about in the Vogue edition are not political. At least not in the Western world. And if they are, they shouldn’t be.
It might not be a matter of lying just her opinion. She brought up the referendum, something which should never have been addressed in the first place. She noted Meghan seemed pleased by the outcome. All we really know is Meghan knew the referendum happened. Not how she reacted or if she said or what she said about it either. Third hand accounts are hardly evidence.

Quote:
I'm sure both Meghan and Harry are being briefed on what they may and may not say during their visit in SA, but Africa is not a country, it is a continent, with a diversity of political and social issues, as well as sensitivities. I'm confident that both the Sussexes will be well prepared, but familiarity with one region of the African continent does not imply mastery of all regions.
As far as we know Meghan will only be going to South Africa, Harry to the other three. This trip has been months in advance. They will have had plenty of time for briefings and research on what areas they will cover when they are there.

Harry has been, with the exception of Angola, been to the countries in question before. This is not a 'we know Africa in general'. Harry has done hands on conservation work in both Malawi and Botswana. Meghan has been with him to Botswana on one of those trips.



first day:
-will tour a workshop for kids which teaches them safety and self-awareness including self-defense classes
-a visit to a township museum
-a cooking demonstration

second day:
-waves for change which uses surfing as a way to mentor kids through mental health issues. Nice tie in with heads together.
-Lunch box fund- they are well aquainted with this as it is one of the charities they chose to support instead of gifts for Archie
-Harry will meet the royal marines
-the couple will meet faith leaders at the first mosque
-dinner at the high commisioner's

third:
-Harry and Meghan will met with Tutu and his wife and discus Tutu's foundation
-Harry will travel to Botswana
-Meghan will tour Woodstock which supports female entrepeneurs and investors

fourth:
-Harry will visit a project for Sentebale and spend the night at a de-mining camp in Angola
-Meghan will attend a breakfast held by the high commisioner for female entrepeneurs

fifth:
-Harry will participate at the de-mining camp
-will unveil the new Queen's canopy initiative
-visit where his mother's land mine photo was taken

six:
-meeting with president of Angola and then tour a hospital

seventh:
-Harry will attend an university and meet female students in Malawi
-meet the president and dinner at the British high commisioners

eighth:
-during a visit to a national park he will attend a tribute to a Coldstream guard who died in May on an anti-pocher campaign

ninth:
-Harry will join his wife in Johanesberg
-they will attend a roundtable for the ACU which Meghan is patron of
-Meghan will tour a school to learn about a charity funded in the UK, which helps raise awareness for sexual abuse

tenth:
-the couple will visit a township youth unemployment program
-they will meet with Nelson Mandela's widow
-reception with local entrepeneurs
-meeting with Ramaphosa and his wife to end the tour


Nothing controvercial. Meghan is not going to be out doing protests and trying to lecture people. They will be going on tours of some programs in the area and learning about them. The only talk she really is involved with is the ACU round table which she is patron of and will have spent plenty of time learning about.
  #138  
Old 09-21-2019, 10:35 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,835
The Sussexes Royal Tour Entourage:
https://www.townandcountrymag.com/so...mpression=true
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #139  
Old 09-21-2019, 10:41 AM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,310
Fingers crossed for Archie pics! lol



LaRae
  #140  
Old 09-21-2019, 11:21 AM
Madame Verseau's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Louisville, United States
Posts: 1,784
I would like to see Archie but on the Sussexes' terms. I've seen news stories that Archie's appearance is "key" to the tour's success. How Harry and Meghan approach their engagements is key.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harry & Meghan: Tour of Australia, Fiji, Tonga and New Zealand - October 2018 soapstar The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family 1371 10-15-2019 08:40 AM




Popular Tags
abu dhabi america archie mountbatten-windsor background story baptism biography british british royal family buckingham palace camilla camilla's family camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing chinese commonwealth countries countess of snowdon customs daisy doge of venice doll duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex edward vii elizabeth ii family life family tree fashion and style george vi gustaf vi adolf harry and meghan hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume highgrove jack brooksbank jewellery king edward vii king willem-alexander książ castle line of succession list of rulers meghan markle mountbatten names nepal nepalese royal jewels plantinum jubilee prince charles of luxembourg prince constantijn prince harry princess ariane princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn walailak princess dita princess eugenie princess ribha queen consort queen louise queen maxima queen victoria royal ancestry spain speech suthida taiwan thailand unfinished portrait united states of america welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:26 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×