Harry & Meghan: Tour of Australia, Fiji, Tonga and New Zealand - October 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was an amazing royal tour indeed. It was Meghan’s first major tour and I think she pretty much outdid herself. Especially with her being pregnant. She handled everything with grace, dignity and elegance as a senior royal.

I totally understand how folks feel about the Sussex’s Invictus Games participation. Hopefully that won’t happen again with the 2020 games. A royal tour and the Invictus Games can’t mix. I think the couple and Palace officials have figured that out now. Although they tried to make it work.

Oh, I’m sure The Queen and family was very impressed about the Tour. I’m sure they will report back to Her Majesty and give her the 411 on their trip.

Last edited:
I think what we have to remember is that IG as an initiative of the royal foundation under Harry's patronage, whilst important, is not the priority for Harry and Meghan as senior royals. First and foremost, they represent the Queen, working and carrying out requests on behalf of the govenment and the FCO.

Evem if initially, IG was important, visiting Commonwealth countries, especially Australia with strong republican leanings was deemed to be far more important.

A lot of the activities of this tour were recommended by the governments of the countries visited by Harry and Meghan. So they couldn't say No to doing these activities in favour of attending IG only.

In addition, the tour highlighted Harry's role as a Commonwealth Youth Ambassador which in the long run will be a far more significant position. And yes, the tour was Meghan's coming out as a senior royal as well.

Amazing tour. Enjoyed following. Highlights for me

Meghan's 3 speeches.

Harry's last speech, speaking for a minute in Māori then singing the Te Aroha in te reo, with Meghan and the whole KP staff joining in.

The fashion, love it. Mix of local designers, British and others.
Also loved how she used fashion to pay tribute to the host countries. The Fijian blue gown. The red dress arriving in Tonga as well as the white gown for the state dinner.

Highlighting Indigenous Communities.

The walk abouts and how they connected with the people, especially children.
Harry telling that little boy that he was going to be alright and how amazing grans were. The little boy who was fascinated with his beard and wouldn't stop hugging him.

Kudos to both Harry and Meghan for doing a fantastic job.

Another write up on the overall royal tour:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-46050674

I disagree with a few point like Meghan didn't speak much during the tour which I think we can all agree she did a great job with speeches in this tour and spoke a fair amount.

"If Harry is enthused by the crowds at walkabouts, he is often obviously bored at set-piece ceremonials, and has yet to find a way to mask it."

I think this one was just funny because while I don't think he is bored per say I think he just gets distracted sometimes during the longer ceremonies.

"And more than once Meghan *by herself and with Harry by her side - swept her way through occasions that demanded just a bit more of her time."

I agree with this a lot it did feel they rushed or were rushed through some engagements.

I think some of the engagements were poorly planned as in they were good in concept but a bit awkward in practice. The fiji market was the biggest victim of poor planning but I also feel that the visit to Macarthur Girls High School I believe was suppose to highlight diversity in that area and some sports program and other support program that was run by the school but unfortunately it wasn't communicated well visually (they were talking to people around a table that had various footballs in the middle) or the programs weren't highlighted properly because at one point it just looked like they went around looking at the kids school projects.

I am sure the community and the children at Macarthur Girls High School were delighted by the visit and it meant a great deal to them but it was just one of the more confusing ones to watch.

I also thought their engagements with Indigenous Communities was a high point of the tour and hope that is a strong theme they stick to in future tours and the lack of Invictus during the tour was a glaring error.

Last edited:
Damned with faint praise in this article by the BBC correspondent, except where there is incontrovertible evidence that large crowds did gather for Harry and Meghan and were affected. Even that concession was sprinkled with condescending remarks about the lack of celebs in Australia, and well, little Fiji and Tonga are lovely, but they don't really matter in the grand scheme of things do they, not in comparison to LONDON and the U.K.!

And in this reporter's eyes today's royals don't seem to really matter either. But naturally, the majority of the BBC staff aren't republicans by conviction. No, of course not!

Last edited:
I think it was a mistake to extend the tour to a regional tour because it took emphasis away from the Invictus Games and allowed focus to be turned towards Meghan. That might have suited the royal tour-organisers and the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, but I think Invictus should have been given priority and that they should have attended more events and not gone to Fiji and Tonga.

I am quite sure that this was exactly the way the Queen wanted this tour to be done, and it was. Something all the firm must do to the best of their ability. I am sure will continue along same line when Charles is King. Monarch/government pays the bill and that is that. Has worked for many years this way. Invictus Games might not have been the Queens' top priority at this time over the new Royals doing proper PR in the other countries, which really made their day and they will talk about for years.

Last edited:
As a/the Commonwealth Ambassador it is Harry/Meghan's duty to do the tour anyway...if they had just gone for the games that would of been very odd and a slight towards the rest of the region.

LaRae

How did they manage to leave New Zealand and travel back to the UK without any photos or videos being seen?

How did they manage to leave New Zealand and travel back to the UK without any photos or videos being seen?

I imagine same way Meghan's Mom travels to UK for visits without media down her throat. Seems it can be done when they want it done that way. I think it is great.

Harry and Meghan are masters at the art of stealth flying under the radar. Remember when they took us so much by surprise that they had spent so much time together getting to know each other without anyone being on to them?

If they don't want to be seen, they won't. :D

I suppose the Australian media wasn't given access. I know the British weren't going to get access during that time. Leaving NZ was easy since they were using the Air Force jet. But I believe it a commercial flight back from Australia. Some of the British press had already left by that point to catch C&C in Africa.

Maybe Harry and Meghan did it that way so as not to detract from the arrival in Africa of Charles and Camilla.

Maybe Harry and Meghan did it that way so as not to detract from the arrival in Africa of Charles and Camilla.

This it was so that Charles can have maximum coverage and attention to his tour.

I hope they have time to relax. Harry's next engagement is on the 8th.

The whole trip was a major success. I know it must’ve left the couple pretty tired. Hopefully they’re at home getting some good rest before they start up official engagements again.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's cute that the couple is trying to post pictures they took on the tour to KP social media but neither of them are good photographers so we get low quality terrible pictures where the only good thing about the picture is that Harry or Meghan personally took them.

I wish they would just pose for a picture taken by a KP professional photographers

Last edited by a moderator:
That's very sweet and I'm glad they were taking snaps of each other on the tour, even if the standard of the photography isn't the best! In spite of the rush and all the engagements in the 16 days they now have some wonderful memories of a Royal tour they can store up and share together.

They are probably home now and putting their feet up. Harry might be making Meghan a cup of tea! I'm glad Harry's doing the field of remembrance on the eighth and they will almost certainly both be there on Remembrance Sunday. Are the doing the Royal Variety Show as well? Don't want them completely disappearing!

That's very sweet and I'm glad they were taking snaps of each other on the tour, even if the standard of the photography isn't the best! In spite of the rush and all the engagements in the 16 days they now have some wonderful memories of a Royal tour they can store up and share together.

They are probably home now and putting their feet up. Harry might be making Meghan a cup of tea! I'm glad Harry's doing the field of remembrance on the eighth and they will almost certainly both be there on Remembrance Sunday. Are the doing the Royal Variety Show as well? Don't want them completely disappearing!

I certainly hope they don't! While this was a big tour, they do need to get used to a more constant rate of work. Meghan being pregnant shouldn't impact them doing regular engagements frequently too much IMO (barring a medical reason a la Kate). Harry especially needs to up his engagements.

AFAIK, this year is Harry's "year" for the RVS show so I do expect to see them! Plus I think the cast of Hamilton is performing? Or Kingdom Choir (possibly both).

Apologies if this article has been posted fore but this is the royal tour by numbers in social media

https://wwd.com/business-news/media...r-gains-big-social-media-mentions-1202895984/

31.4 million social media interactions, 211,400 mentions (25,900 on the first day alone) —This is the #royaltour by the numbers.

I think it's important to remember the baby announcement did likely bump up these numbers quite a bit and we don't have information like this on other royal tour to compare the success simply by the number but the tour reached out to far more people than some people would like to believe. One article even stated Bondi beach was trending worldwide.

I must say the British media has hardly been forthcoming with praise for this tour.

Last edited:
I love the photo that Harry took of Meghan!
This tour has been fantastic and it seems like it's been a big success. It was quite hard to keep up with the tour sometimes because the Sussexes were doing so much; but it was wonderful to see more of them together. I hope they're resting right now!

I’ve moved the discussion about the media and their coverage of this tour/relationship with the royal family. The discussion is in the ‘Royal Family and the Media’ thread. As of now, the media thread is currently closed.

If you wish to discuss Harry and Meghan’s upcoming events, please take it or their respective threads.

Last edited:

I must say the British media has hardly been forthcoming with praise for this tour.

Do they ever praise anyone in the BRF? I suspect they are still irritated about Harry's letter.
But nothing is going to change because their behavior is rewarded.
I for one wondered if Megan has given more speeches in these past few weeks than I have heard from other royal ladies around her age in the BRF, but I don't watch their movements enough to know for sure.

Do they ever praise anyone in the BRF? I suspect they are still irritated about Harry's letter.
But nothing is going to change because their behavior is rewarded.
I for one wondered if Megan has given more speeches in these past few weeks than I have heard from other royal ladies around her age in the BRF, but I don't watch their movements enough to know for sure.

I believe I worded that incorrectly. Usually after tours there are some nice in-depth articles analyzing the tour both the good and the bad. I feel there is a lack of such article especially keeping in mind this is not only the Sussexes first major tour but also one of the largest tours taken by the KP royals and by most accounts a resounding success.

I am sure some of it is a result of some royal reporters being away on C&C's tour but it does seem a bit like the British press are just dumping/burrying the tour the moment it is over.

For those asking about the Sussexes leaving NZ. Here is the video of the Sussexes motorcade arriving at the airport to fly back to the UK. No pictures of the couple as the motorcade went straight to the operational area closed to the public

https://i.stuff.co.nz/auckland/1082...y-Meghan-Markle-depart-NZ-after-four-day-tour

I love the photo that Harry took of Meghan!
This tour has been fantastic and it seems like it's been a big success. It was quite hard to keep up with the tour sometimes because the Sussexes were doing so much; but it was wonderful to see more of them together. I hope they're resting right now!

I agree! I thought it was very sweet and also that they shared it. It's those type things that make them more relatable, IMO. They seem so excited about their little bundle and it's adorable. ?

Some more articles about the tour

This one is by Emily Andrews about Meghan, the tour down under and the commonwealth.

It also unfortunately makes a few references to the Markles and has a blurb making comparisons to Kate.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/76401...h-commonwealth/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

It also mentions Harry's grumpy face during ceremonies But I agree with other posters in the board the his resting face or "serious face" is being misinterpreted as grumpy.

This one by Russell myers at the mirror.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/harry-meghans-tour-launched-forefront-13521588

"This is a new era for "The Firm" - as the Royal Family is known to insiders - and the Sussexes are at the forefront of that revolution. Young, popular, environmentally conscious, they are not afraid to speak their minds."

Last edited:
I do feel some of the comments about Harry looking bored or grumpy is quite unfair. There is a time for everything, and that's him being serious and respectful of his hosts in ceremony part of his job. It'd be quite rude for him to act the same way as he does on a walkabout where he is supposed to be more relaxed and greet the people that came out to see him. A lot of the ceremonies are more formal and at times solemn.

I thought he handled both types of situation very appropriately. I don't think he's being given the fair credit for the statesman he's showing himself to be on this trip. Are there small things to improve? Sure. But overall, he did great, not just with the everyday people, but in some situations that can be quite sensitive.

What came to mind for me, jacqui, when you were talking about the different demeanors that Harry presents for different occasions when they're called for put me in mind of a specific occasion where it was very bluntly proven.

It was a photo op when the then President of the United States and his First Lady, Barack and Michelle Obama were having a visit with The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry at Kensington Palace. We all remember that occasion as Prince George of Cambridge was present in his pajamas and bathrobe and photographed with the rocking horse the Obamas had gifted to the little prince.

What stood out for me was the quip made by little George. "Why is Uncle Harry being so quiet?". That's it in a nutshell. Harry knows very well how to act as different occasions call for. Harry as an uncle on private time is rambunctious with the kids. Harry on walkabout is about the people and interacting with them. Harry as a more "official prince" knows how to present himself as such.

This tells me that Harry and Meghan's child will grow up from early on to know when to use the "inside" voice and "outside" voice and to use the "on display" voice (or demeanor). Charlotte already has this down pat if you ask me. :lol:

Last edited:
I hope they had a nice trip home. They flew out yesterday.

if they left New Zealand on Thursday afternoon, I don't think they would have arrived back in the UK as yet, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom