Harry & Meghan: Tour of Australia, Fiji, Tonga and New Zealand - October 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From KP Aide:

"It was hot, humid and uncomfortably busy and there were far larger crowds than expected. She met everyone she was meant to meet and left. There would have been a lot of people who would have been keen to meet her but she did met those who had hoped to. On advice she was taken out due to crowd management issue."

It is fascinating watching the reporting of this. The UK reporters are spinning it like it is no big deal and Meghan should have stayed and risked her safety while everyone else described it as "chaotic" and understand why the security were concerned. If that doesn't say it all nothing does.

I have to say, I did hear very different stories from Aussie media compared to the British media.

The Aussie media knows Fiji, it's an incredibly popular tourist destination for one thing, and there are many Fijians living in Australia. Whereas the press pack from Britain work for newspapers with agendas to push.

From KP Aide:

"It was hot, humid and uncomfortably busy and there were far larger crowds than expected. She met everyone she was meant to meet and left. There would have been a lot of people who would have been keen to meet her but she did met those who had hoped to. On advice she was taken out due to crowd management issue."

Some of the stall holders are saying they did not get to see Meghan - and they were part of the ones who were meant to see her.

They had spent the previous three weeks getting ready for their encounter.

And six minutes there would be almost nothing.

Must have been a bit overwhelming for Meghan.

Love her Fijian lady guard. Both she and Meghan managed to keep calm and serene expressions in what must have been a noisey and un-ravelling environment.

https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/b78b3ecc49c046ce6be6da180bc986aa

I saw some stressed arm-waving, and stern words for photographers to get out of the way, from others in the team.

Last edited:
I think this was a mix of poor planning by KP and miscommunication with the local authorities and the KP security team. The Australian reporters on the ground during the live broadcast kept saying it was chaotic and one of them was even pushed into some pineapples.

I am not sure I like KP blaming the large crowds either because it came off as "blaming" the community. The Fijian's were excited to see Meghan and that is a good thing.

I don't know what is wrong with the UK reporters. Yes, I've seen more chaotic royal visits, but we have no idea what the security heard, saw or just "felt." Blame poor planning or whatever, but this was NOT Meghan's fault and the insinuations that some royal reporters are making are completely untoward and unprofessional.

Based on the actual statement, I don’t know if KP “blamed” the crowd or if that’s just a poor choice of words from some royal reporters. They stated massive crowd as a reason, which isn’t wrong.

It does blow my mind how they thought to embargo and not announce several engagements in Australia due to crowd concerns, but not this. I thought a security team is supposed to visit well ahead of the tour and work all of this out?

Maybe they under-anticipated the numbers that would show up.

LaRae

Based on the actual statement, I don’t know if KP “blamed” the crowd or if that’s just a poor choice of words from some royal reporters. They stated massive crowd as a reason, which isn’t wrong.

It does blow my mind how they thought to embargo and not announce several engagements in Australia due to crowd concerns, but not this. I thought a security team is supposed to visit well ahead of the tour and work all of this out?

I am not sure they planned the for how large the crowds would be. Honestly, the security has kind of chaotic the whole trip, sometimes physically pulling away Harry or Meghan from people during walkabouts. And their staff also has kind of seemed less organized.

What stood out to most in the scenes I saw from the market is actually the media tbh. There was SO many media personnel around and I think that also added to the stress too. While Meghan was trying to talk to the first vendor, KP staff were trying to herd the media down further and it just became a mess very quickly.

Let’s keep the discussion on the tour and not on comparisons between royal reporters. Thanks.

Last edited:
I am not sure they planned the for how large the crowds would be. Honestly, the security has kind of chaotic the whole trip, sometimes physically pulling away Harry or Meghan from people during walkabouts. And their staff also has kind of seemed less organized.

What stood out to most in the scenes I saw from the market is actually the media tbh. There was SO many media personnel around and I think that also added to the stress too. While Meghan was trying to talk to the first vendor, KP staff were trying to herd the media down further and it just became a mess very quickly.

I feel like they didn’t expect the crowds they’ve had this whole trip. It was easier in Australia because the local authorities were more prepared for The crowds.

Loved Her Royal Highness’s Speech-

Basically, I think what has happened is that everyone was preparing for a tour that was going to be popular with the people no matter where Harry and Meghan went and expected a good turnout of the population to see them but they never imagined it to be this huge with this huge amount of people all over congregating. I would be willing to be my last Mounds bar that Fiji has never seen the likes of this before with a royal tour.

This definitely is a tour that Harry and Meghan will remember for a lifetime and so will all of us. And the hits just keep on coming. I do have to remark on the wonderful coverage that the Australian press has done so far. They've been totally on top of everything, totally supportive of the Sussexes and the Invictus Games and they're doing the human interest stories so very well.

I feel like they didn’t expect the crowds they’ve had this whole trip. It was easier in Australia because the local authorities were more prepared for The crowds.

I do get that sense as well. I have lost count how many times the reporters have expressed awe at the amount of people showing up. I think Chris Ship called it a "crowdfest" the other day.

The whole thing was unfortunate but I do think the size caught them off guard and due to it being a tight space the security team was just too uncomfortable. Shame for some of the ladies who wanted to meet Meghan.

There a few videos around and it was very crowded. Hopefully this is a lesson well learned and they prepare a little better for next time. Now they know.

Dear Harry. I hope the mosquitos weren't too bad, especially at the War Memorial. In that first photo he looks as if he's being congratulated on the forthcoming happy event. He's looked so comfortable on this tour, it's really great to see.

BTW, Osipi, I think you would be handing over your Mounds bar if you saw a film of the Queen and PPs tour of the Pacific including Fiji in 1954. That was the first time a sovereign had visited and was unprecedented for crowds and excitement. Different times of course. And there were the Charles/Diana tours.

But since then, yes, there has been a new uptick in excitement. Even I, as an Aussie, have been surprised by the genuine enthusiasm in Australia for this tour. Not surprised by Fiji though, and expect the same in Tonga! Looking forward to it!

PS What delicious looking food the couple have had for lunches and the State dinner menu was superb!

Last edited:
OK. It seems like I get to share my Mounds bar with you Curryong (thankfully they come two to a package). :D How could I have forgotten the Queen and DoE's first visit to Fiji??? I just actually watched that yesterday too viewing the "Queen of the World" documentary on YouTube. Now what can I blame this lapse of memory on. Not enough chocolate? Yeps. That's the ticket. I need more Mounds bars. :lol:

Don't know what's up with that menu. Someone there messed up royally. I'm sure that Harry and Meghan would have overlooked it with style and grace and enjoyed the meal.

Last edited:
Thanks Osipi! Any donations gratefully received. That documentary is wonderful, isn't it, extremely interesting.

I really think they tripped up with the menu printing Meghan's former surname but the food probably more than made up for it.

Last edited:
Is it normal protocol to continue to use Meghan's former surname in an official capacity? I thought she was just "Meghan" now? Or could that be Meghan's choice to want to still be referred to as "Meghan Markle"? Confused ?

Typo, bad information, something. She should simply be HRH Duchess of Sussex or Meghan,...... News papers use Markle as it gets more hits online. But in an official menu? Mistake.

Great photos of Meghan and the food. She rally connects to people through food. It seems a way for her to open with them. The cook book back home, the banana bread and now this.

Yes, the somewhat stern looking protection officer is no doubt a bit stressed.

While large, happy, and welcoming crowds who try and get as close to H&M as possible is great PR and very heartwarming, they must nevertheless be less appreciated by protection officers.
:D:D?:frazzled::queen::frazzled:??:D

I’m very surprised that situation was allowed to happen, better measures should have been in place.

:previous:

https://www.bt.dk/royale/kaos-under-royalt-besoeg-meghan-forlod-marked-efter-blot-seks-minutter

Yes, here is a DK article and video of Meghan being basically evacuated after only six minutes. I have the impression it was the British royal protection officers who called a halt to this.
The crowd, albeit many and close, didn't strike me as anything remotely hysterical (which could lead to people being trampled and general panic) and certainly not hostile in any way.

BTW H&M have received a fairly limited but still very positive coverage in the Danish press on this tour and in connection with the Invictus Games. Which is nothing new. Harry has got very positive press for years now. And apart from the occasional mentioning of Meghan's family, (who does not seem to have impressed the press here in DK!) she has got a positive press as well. Harry still seems to be the favorite of the two in this particular tabloid however, I will not suggest that it could be because the reporter who covers H&M has taken a liking to the good Harry... ?

Very diplomatic Muhler. Well done!

Our news here is saying too many turned up at the markets to see Meghan and it became quite stifling. I guess the protection officers have to balance out the fact they need to -- fore see -- potential problems even tho the crowd was enthusiastic.
No harm done and perhaps the people can have the chance to see Meghan at the Hotel or airport tomorrow or something like that.

Even tho people would be disappointed I don't have a problem with what the security did. They had the Duchesses best interests at heart and they did their job.

I was very surprised to see Wasabi puree on the menu, as it is a Very Hot Japanese type of horseradish. Not the sort of thing you would expect anyone to serve to a pregnant Duchess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Telegraph interviewed one of the women she met with. She said Meghan was nice, but she was quiet and looked afraid. I think we can all say at this point that Meghan isn’t afraid of a crowd. But when you have people scaling walls and on roofs outside and then come inside to see a crowd with people standing on stalls in cramped areas, it’s concerning. You just don’t know what can happen then, and it can get out of control quickly. Her security made the right call.

It's been a thoroughly successful tour and Oz ( most of us, anyways ) love Meg and Harry :)

Telegraph interviewed one of the women she met with. She said Meghan was nice, but she was quiet and looked afraid. I think we can all say at this point that Meghan isn’t afraid of a crowd. But when you have people scaling walls and on roofs outside and then come inside to see a crowd with people standing on stalls in cramped areas, it’s concerning. You just don’t know what can happen then, and it can get out of control quickly. Her security made the right call.

I think if it was just Meghan, she would have been fine and stayed longer. However, she is carrying precious cargo and ANYTHING could have happened. A justle here and there is not good for her baby.

BTW...I'm not saying that the Fijian people would have harmed her or meant any ill will, however, from a security expert POV, ANYONE could have been in that crowd and use the gracious welcome of the crowd for ill will. All it takes is one bullet as we've learned in the past. People have used the goodwill of a crowd to hit their target in the past, and KP security knows this. If you notice in the videos, her Figian guard (lady in uniform) was flanking the DoS to the back while her RPO was in front of her. They know the drill.

A protection officer should always be the person to make the call. It's a bit unfortunate the situation occurred so early in the new security person's employment as protection for the duchess. I wouldn't be surprised if some in the palace second guess the decision because the guard hasn't established a track record of what is to be tolerated and what is not.

In the DM article, it said the duchess said something to the officer shortly beforehand but the video doesn't show that. When I first read it, I immediately wondered if she had seen someone in the crowd who she didn't trust but quickly realized that rather than removing the duchess, they would have removed the interloper.

All said - it ended with everyone safe and sound so good on them.

A protection officer should always be the person to make the call. It's a bit unfortunate the situation occurred so early in the new security person's employment as protection for the duchess. I wouldn't be surprised if some in the palace second guess the decision because the guard hasn't established a track record of what is to be tolerated and what is not.

One thing I've learned reading many books is that when it comes to royal security and what is decided and how things are executed, the palace actually has absolutely no say in it nor really does the royal. These RPOs are employed by and earn their paychecks from the Metropolitan Police/Scotland Yard and its them they answer to. I'm sure that they do take the royal's along with the palace staff's suggestions into consideration but should they have something go wrong or make the wrong decision, its their bosses and supervisors at the Met that they have to answer to. They have strict training and strict guidelines that they have to adhere to and reports to make back to the Met on every move they make just about.

No doubt that the protection squad had been to Fiji and the market while this trip was being planned, scoped it out and worked with the local authorities on just how they would handle things. Nothing is ever just left to chance and they're prepared for any kind of a situation that could happen.

I think the BRF, particularly Diana's sons, are going to err on the side of caution when it comes to these situations...and that will extend to all areas and I'm sure the RPO's, while they don't take orders from BP, their superiors who order them are well aware of the views of the family when it comes to these situations.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom