Harry & Meghan: Tour of Australia, Fiji, Tonga and New Zealand - October 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not just that. She's having difficulty sleeping until she needs to wake up in the morning because of jet lag and the baby. They've also had quite long days for the last two days, plus the traveling in the two before then. They are relatively short flights, but it does take a toll. The engagements also expected her to be on her feet quite a bit. I'm sure she's disappointed, but this is the right decision.

I don't think anyone has expressed anything other than support for their decision.

I didn't say it was "just that". But if she's waking up early, an unplanned late start and late finish is going to be pretty devastating.

I'm glad to hear that Meghan is going to be taking more down time. No woman knows ahead of time just how a pregnancy is going to affect them and its a day by day adjustment as the pregnancy progresses. Right now, Meghan's health and the health of her unborn child takes priority over everything else.

With everyone already informed of the pregnancy from the beginning of the tour, the announcement that she's easing back will be taken in stride by all and understood much more if they had delayed the announcement and it was revealed as Meghan bowed out here and there.

I don't think anyone has expressed anything other than support for their decision.

I didn't say it was "just that". But if she's waking up early, an unplanned late start and late finish is going to be pretty devastating.

I wasn't suggesting you were trying to downplay her schedule and difficulty, but I think it's all connected and if it was just yesterday, she would've been ok. I was just adding to the discussion. Do we know what time the ceremony was intended to end btw? I know they started an hour later, but I thought they cut some stuff out?

Poor thing. I'm sure she's a bit disappointed, however, I think think this is a wise decision. As others have stated, she's been looking tired lately, and the punishing schedule on top of having to adjust to jet lag is not easy on anyone, much less a pregnant woman.

This is also one of the reasons that I'm glad they did the pregnancy announcement when they did.

Rebecca English is reporting that Meghan is feeling fine, but they are trying pace her given the number of engagements she has coming up.

I am happy she is getting some rest. She looked really tired during the opening ceremony. She might have to cut back on some events.

I am worried about Tonga and Fiji. There is a zika risk there. I was shocked her doctor gave the go ahead to travel there. Perhaps, she could stay in Australia and use those days to rest.

I am happy she is getting some rest. She looked really tired during the opening ceremony. She might have to cut back on some events.

I am worried about Tonga and Fiji. There is a zika risk there. I was shocked her doctor gave the go ahead to travel there. Perhaps, she could stay in Australia and use those days to rest.

She will be in Fiji. She won't accompany Harry on some engagements, but she has the UN Women events. They are probably changing her schedules now so that she'll be more rested for later part of the tour.

Meghan is a trooper with this schedule. Yesterday was the first time I really could see how exhausted she was. She looked completely drained during the reception though she tried to push though. Then the ceremony was delayed almost 2 hours. It is of no surprise she is seeking a rest day.

I always thought it was odd they didn't schedule one in for her. This schedule is harsh without being pregnant. I am sure Meghan is disappointed but her and the baby's healthy is the most important thing right now.

There are conflicting reports for tomorrow. Some say she'll skip everything, but some say she'll be at the last event where there is a walkabout. The concern, from my understanding, is the uneven terrain that they'll have to travel through to get to the locations.

:previous:
My guess is that like most pregnant women how she feels changes on an hourly basis. I expect she’ll take the morning off and then they’ll see how she feels later in the day.

:previous:
My guess is that like most pregnant women how she feels changes on an hourly basis. I expect she’ll take the morning off and then they’ll see how she feels later in the day.
TBH, I was quite worried at the thought that she'll do all those engagements after the pregnancy announcement. I realize she doesn't want to disappoint, but this is quite a stretch. All the reporting are that she wants to do everyting, but Harry is encouraging her to slow down a little.

To make changes for the now pregnant Meghan makes common sense.
The schedule has been quite punishing so far. There is no need to be stupidly stoic.
Harry is popular and does a great job solo.

Harry will probably wear strong mosquito protection in Tonga.
I don't know about the Zika virus in Fiji.

Last edited:
Good choice to have Meghan to sit out some. Exhausting pace tour even without being pregnant. 16 days without a single rest day was a lot. By reducing the events she attends she can still be on the full tour and attend key events. And still stay healthy for the baby.

Given what’s been reported so far, I definitely think it’s a good trade off. She missed one engagement today, and still will carry out three. Tomorrow is the day that’s most effected. There are conflicting reports about if she’ll do one or none at all. I guess we’ll see. Although my suspicion is that she’ll still try to do something as she’s still going to Fraser Island. Just not going to announce it for now. At max, there is 5 out of 70 some odd engagements. I’ve been worried about her in the back of my mind ever since the announcement. It’s not just amount of engagements, but the amount of travel as well. I nearly went into a panic worrying when the initial inaccurate reports came out about her not going to scheduled engagements with PM and Opposition leader.

I think the delayed opening ceremonies took a toll, TBH.

She's still planned to go to the lunch and the sailing.

It looks like she'll fly with him to Fraser Island (perhaps because I've seen their flight to Fiji is from Fraser Island), but he'll be doing those engagements by himself.

Thanks for replying hel. I decided to run out of the house and join in the fun for real and have only just seen your later post.

The day turned out so fine after this morning, that I've come home with a sunburnt arm.

And yes HereditaryPrincess - I did see the couple. At a distance. In the restaurant, which conveniently is all glass, plus the doors were open.

Mostly Harry and a few glimpses of Meghan. (Hard to miss Harry, so tall.)

I also saw some of the action on the Harbour for the sailing. A lot of crazy boats going all over the place. (I'm talking about the VIP vessels and special spectators, not the competitors who seemed quite steady in their course.) What a lot of water was churned.

Some well known Oz faces got to go to the lunch. (None world famous, but Oz posters will know them.)

Jessica Rowe. She plonked herself down on a wall a few steps from the restaurant entrance and took off her shoes!

On went the flatties, someone took a photo, but no-one else seemed to notice her and eventually she wandered away.

Then former Governor General Quentin Bryce - who was sitting behind Harry and Meghan last night and who got caught with some very un-flattering facial expressions in the photos I saw this morning.

Anyway, a very trim and stylish older lady, she was dressed in a very understated, but classic blazer with a good sensible bag style outfit.

No-seemed to recognise her and so eventually she too wandered away.

Then there was the Prime Minister, under a baseball cap with just one very tall bodyguard beside him.

Big smiles, obviously at ease, no one noticed him either, but he didn't seem to mind. He wandered off in the other direction.

Here are a few shots from today - (not by me!)

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/...0000578-6299155-image-a-148_1540089261294.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/...0000578-6299155-image-a-175_1540089678332.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/...0000578-6299155-image-a-173_1540089659606.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/...0000578-6299155-image-a-228_1540097892262.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/...0000578-6299155-image-a-230_1540097935510.jpg

Disappointed Meghan is having a tough time and may miss this and that.

They'll have to arrange a second tour when baby is big enough and have another go.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying hel. I decided to run out of the house and join in the fun for real and have only just seen your later post.

The day turned out so fine after this morning, that I've come home with a sunburnt arm.

And yes HereditaryPrincess - I did see the couple. At a distance. In the restaurant, which conveniently is all glass, plus the doors were open.

Mostly Harry and a few glimpses of Meghan. (Hard to miss Harry, so tall.)

I also saw some of the action on the Harbour for the sailing. A lot of crazy boats going all over the place. (I'm talking about the VIP vessels and special spectators, not the competitors who seemed quite steady in their course.) What a lot of water was churned.

Some well known Oz faces got to go to the lunch. (None world famous, but Oz posters will know them.)

Jessica Rowe. She plonked herself down on a wall a few steps from the restaurant entrance and took off her shoes!

On went the flatties, someone took a photo, but no-one else seemed to notice her and eventually she wandered away.

Then former Governor General Quentin Bryce - who was sitting behind Harry and Meghan last night and who got caught with some very un-flattering facial expressions in the photos I saw this morning.

Anyway, a very trim and stylish older lady, she was dressed in a very understated, but classic blazer with a good sensible bag style outfit.

No-seemed to recognise her and so eventually she too wandered away.

Then there was the Prime Minister, under a baseball cap with just one very tall bodyguard beside him.

Big smiles, obviously at ease, no one noticed him either, but he didn't seem to mind. He wandered off in the other direction.

Here are a few shots from today - (not by me!)

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/...0000578-6299155-image-a-148_1540089261294.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/...0000578-6299155-image-a-175_1540089678332.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/...0000578-6299155-image-a-173_1540089659606.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/...0000578-6299155-image-a-228_1540097892262.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/...0000578-6299155-image-a-230_1540097935510.jpg

Disappointed Meghan is having a tough time and may miss this and that.

They'll have to arrange a second tour when baby is big enough and have another go.

Sun Lion,

Megsie indicated on Friday that once baby Sussex is born, she would love to come back to Aus, and have a holiday intertwined with some royal duties.

Good choice to have Meghan to sit out some. Exhausting pace tour even without being pregnant. 16 days without a single rest day was a lot. By reducing the events she attends she can still be on the full tour and attend key events. And still stay healthy for the baby.

This is why they announced the pregnancy, so they can work in some downtime for Meghan if needed. The pace of this tour is grueling! It was reported that Prince Harry called the time out while I'm sure Meghan is used to powering through. I'm glad they are looking out for her.

Yes, pregnant or not, I think that was an error in planning.

Unfortunately the UK media treats rest days as vacation days and paints the tour as a vacation. For example the press falsely accused the Sussex's of taking time off and going to some luxury resort when in fact they where just going to another country for their tour. The UK media makes it hard for them to just take a rest day. I think they should of just taken it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately the UK media treats rest days as vacation days and paints the tour as a vacation. For example the press falsely accused the Sussex's of taking time off and going to some luxury resort when in fact they where just going to another country for their tour. The UK media makes it hard for them to just take a rest day. I think they should of just taken it.

Unfortunately, it’s not just media. Some of the royal reporters had to defend Meghan for the cancelled event yesterday bc according to some. Some people are seriously saying how hard can it be.

Last edited:

The tabloid press did that to the Cambridges and the Prince of Wales and DoC, too. It's not unique to the Sussexes, and the royal family for the most part ignore it and just move along, taking rest days as needed.

Most reasonable people accept that the royals are not equipped with batteries that never run down and will need time to rest.

How hard can it be? Can you imagine being surrounded by crowds? Also, I attended the Invictus games in Orlando and many of the participants are severely disabled. It is uplifting but also emotionally draining. Also, aren't they expected to attend church?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom