The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-05-2018, 06:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
State dinner means Meghan needs to pack a tiara, right?
The royal ladies no longer wear tiaras on official tours. Only The Queen. They stopped in the 90ís.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-05-2018, 07:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Not necessarily true. Camilla has worn a tiara at CHOGM overseas and again to the banquet before Queen Beatrix's abdication at least.

It would depend on the expectations of the locals and tiaras aren't something that is worn much outside of Europe so the royal ladies respect that and don't show their bling.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Not necessarily true. Camilla has worn a tiara at CHOGM overseas and again to the banquet before Queen Beatrix's abdication at least.

It would depend on the expectations of the locals and tiaras aren't something that is worn much outside of Europe so the royal ladies respect that and don't show their bling.
Right, that was for the CHOGM and Inauguration, but the British royal ladies really donít wear tiaras on their official tours. We havenít seen this from the Windsor wives since the 90ís, sadly. They should go back to doing it, IMO. Bring back some of that beauty and glamour we saw back in the day.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-06-2018, 07:25 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
They also mentioned that Meghan will be speaking more then the press release revealed which is a nice surprise. At their briefing they were told that Meghan worked hard with the heads of the different countries to put together her itinerary. They wanted to use her skills in public speaking and passion of women & girls rights. Harry will be doing a bit of military and sport stuff. They playing on both their passions.
I was excited to see Meghan's activities with the UN Women project in Fiji. KP has gone out of their way to stress that the local countries provided the list of suggested engagements so OK... But hopefully this opens the door to Meghan re-establishing a relationship with UN Women in some capacity. Have any of the RRs discussed how the split schedule will be handled? Do they get to decide which event they attend or is the rota system employed? I like the divide and conquer approach so H&M can fit in more events. Just not sure how it'll impact coverage. I think Harry's schedule may get the short end of the stick if RRs get to choose.

Glad to see the engagements and how H&M are being deployed play to their strengths. Lots of community events and interacting with the public where H&M shine. The Bondi Beach surfing and yoga engagement with the youth group also caught my eye. If Meghan can play netball (also on the schedule) then we can all enjoy Harry doing yoga.

It'll be interesting to see how Meghan speaking at more events changes the dynamic. She's a great speaker so I'm thrilled. I still hold that her speech at the cookbook launch was well thought out and practiced in advance. It wasn't completely off the cuff. For a speech that length, she just doesn't need to read a scripted speech the way Harry does. She knows what she wants to say but doesn't necessarily memorize it word for word so KP couldn't pass out a transcript to RRs beforehand. But that's also why her speeches seem so natural and authentic. I'd rather see one of the comm. aides be used as a transcriber than have Meghan start reading every time.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

She does have to ensure that the content of every speech is approve in advance so she doesn't start becoming political. That is why the royals have notes with them - so they no what they can and can't say and don't upset the government of the day who do have the right to approve everything they say.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:26 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
She does have to ensure that the content of every speech is approve in advance so she doesn't start becoming political. That is why the royals have notes with them - so they no what they can and can't say and don't upset the government of the day who do have the right to approve everything they say.
Very interesting. I did not realize that BR speeches had to be approved by not only their own government but also the visiting government had the right to approve all speeches. So that means that everything that will be given formally by both Harry and Meghan in every country has already been either texted or faxed for approval by each one. Amazing. One MUST wonder what their speeches would be actually like if they were permitted to speak off-the-cuff and give their own 100% point of view.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:35 PM
Aristocracy

I assumed when iluvbertie said gov't of the day she still meant the British gov't especially since the foreign office usually sends them on the trip in the 1st place. It's hard for me to believe that foreign gov'ts are approving royal speeches.

Does gov't approval also extend beyond foreign visits to speeches for their own patronages or foundation projects? For the cookbook launch, I imagine Samantha and/or Amy knew broadly what Meghan was going to say to ensure she stayed within the lines.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:40 PM
Heir Apparent

No one knew Meghan was going to speak at her launch and KP staff had to transcribe on the spot. This was also close to her heart and informal.

Her speeches on this tour will no doubt be pre-written and approved. They are there working on behalf of The Queen. It is a very different setting.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

The British government has to approve ALL speeches - or at least the content of all speeches given by members of the BRF for any reason. Meghan's speech would have had pre-approval and if not she would have been told 'never again - you aren't allowed to do that'.

The only speech that is given without government approval is the Queen's Christmas message but if that ever became a political statement instead of the total bland nothingness it is now the government would either stop the message or insist on it being pre-approved.

The BRF do not have freedom of speech, unlike the rest of us. That is something Meghan will have to learn - she can no longer speak her mind on any issue.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:56 PM
Majesty

I wish we could PIN to the top of a thread, because this would be pinned at the top of my page! It's post 130 if I can remember to remember...

Quote:
There is no three day gap. The Express needs to do better research. They are visiting Tonga and Fiji those days.

Tuesday 16th October: Sydney, Australia
Wednesday 17th October: Dubbo, Australia
Thursday 18th October: Melbourne, Australia
Friday 19th October: Sydney, Australia
Saturday 20th October: Sydney, Australia
Sunday 21st October: Sydney, Australia
Monday 22nd October: Fraser Island, Australia
Tuesday 23rd October: Suva, Fiji
Wednesday 24th October: Suva, Fiji
Thursday 25th October: Nadi, Fiji and Nukuíalofa, Tonga
Friday 26th October: Nukuíalofa, Tonga and Sydney, Australia
Saturday 27th October: Sydney, Australia
Sunday 28th October: Wellington, New Zealand
Monday 29th October: Wellington and Abel Tasman, New Zealand
Tuesday 30th October: Auckland, New Zealand
Wednesday 31st October: Rotorua, New Zealand"
Old 10-06-2018, 06:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I wish we could PIN to the top of a thread, because this would be pinned at the top of my page!
You can ask the moderators if they can put it in the introductory post.

Quote:
No one knew Meghan was going to speak at her launch and KP staff had to transcribe on the spot. This was also close to her heart and informal.
Of course Meghanís secretary and other staff knew she was giving a speech. Royals donít just go off script holding speeches out of the blue, especially a new royal with her first speech. She just didnít have it pre-written and wasnít reading it word for word, so they couldnít give a copy to the reporters beforehand. Just because the royal reporters and the general public arenít told something doesnít mean no one knows about it. The cookbook being the perfect example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Suitor View Post
I still hold that her speech at the cookbook launch was well thought out and practiced in advance. It wasn't completely off the cuff. For a speech that length, she just doesn't need to read a scripted speech the way Harry does. She knows what she wants to say but doesn't necessarily memorize it word for word so KP couldn't pass out a transcript to RRs beforehand. But that's also why her speeches seem so natural and authentic. I'd rather see one of the comm. aides be used as a transcriber than have Meghan start reading every time.
I agree. I hold similar introductory speeches on a weekly basis and while I never write it down I always know the main points Iím going to address and back when I started this job I practised at home to make sure I had it all down and to time myself. The speeches are never exactly the same, but I always mention all pertinent information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Suitor View Post
Have any of the RRs discussed how the split schedule will be handled? Do they get to decide which event they attend or is the rota system employed? I like the divide and conquer approach so H&M can fit in more events. Just not sure how it'll impact coverage. I think Harry's schedule may get the short end of the stick if RRs get to choose.
I donít know how they decide, but Charles and Camilla always have separate events and usually the Wessexes and some photographers go with one and some with the other. And yes, the male usually gets less coverage in the newspapers, etc. Especially if there is a good photo opportunity for Camilla or Sophie, with animals or little kids for example.
I would imagine with this being Meghanís first tour that all coverage will be about her. Harry might get a line here or there if thereís an interesting photo opportunity, like a koala peeing on him or .
Old 10-06-2018, 09:00 PM
Heir Apparent

With that speech, I don’t think Emily or Omid was suggesting that Palace aides didn’t know she was saying something. Just that nothing was written. And by the sound of it, it was all Meghan. I do wonder, though, if the royals write their own speech or if aids do?
Old 10-06-2018, 10:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
With that speech, I don’t think Emily or Omid was suggesting that Palace aides didn’t know she was saying something. Just that nothing was written. And by the sound of it, it was all Meghan. I do wonder, though, if the royals write their own speech or if aids do?
It depends. For Heads Together, the charities involved actually wrote the speeches for the trio at times (with input from KP). Harry supposedly writes his IG speeches himself and some of his AIDs speeches. But most of the time, as with just about every public figure, its staff that writes and the royal/politician/etc will make edits or changes, if they have any. For foreign visits, sometimes the foreign office will do drafts of speeches (i.e. William's recent tour in the Middle East).
Old 10-07-2018, 12:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Larisa View Post
Of course Meghanís secretary and other staff knew she was giving a speech. Royals donít just go off script holding speeches out of the blue, especially a new royal with her first speech. She just didnít have it pre-written and wasnít reading it word for word, so they couldnít give a copy to the reporters beforehand. Just because the royal reporters and the general public arenít told something doesnít mean no one knows about it. The cookbook being the perfect example.
I didn't mean know one of her team. It was clear the media were not informed nor were KP well aware of all she was saying though I am sure they had the overview. Emily said it was standard for them to have copies ahead of the speech so they all know exactly what is being said. That wasn't the cause during the launch reception. As said, they didn't know. But then again they also didn't know about Together either.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:57 AM
Nobility

I believe the staff knew Meghan would say a few words of thanks to everyone involved in the project but did not expect she would give a 3 minute speech.

According to Chris Ship on Royal rota episode 3 who actually was present on that day and the recent episode of Onheir they describe KP staff themselves started to scramble after the speech started to quickly record it so that they can transcribe it for the press. (They were likely expecting 2 lines about Meghan thanking everyone for coming but instead got a 3 minute speech about her experience with the diverse community of Grenfell and how it helped her learn more about her new home)

I think it was ok in this case because it was Meghan's project and she was speaking to a room full of people she was familiar with about their shared experiences but in general speeches do have to be approved to make sure nothing culturally insensitive or politically incorrect is being said, that's why off the cuff speeches are not the standard for members of the royal family or any politician
Old 10-07-2018, 03:52 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I wish we could PIN to the top of a thread, because this would be pinned at the top of my page! It's post 130 if I can remember to remember...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Larisa View Post
You can ask the moderators if they can put it in the introductory post.
The tour schedule has been added to the opening post of this thread.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:58 PM
Commoner

I am looking forward to the tour. I have to say I am impressed by the Duchess of Sussex work ethic. She is serious. She is not perfect but it's nice to see that she is trying.

Also, I cannot wait for the koalas. So cute.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz View Post
The tour schedule has been added to the opening post of this thread.
Thank you, itíll make it easier to keep track on a long tour like this.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Ok, so can someone clarify something for me? Which part can they cuddle koalas and where can they not? I got to pick when I can focus on the tour updates.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

They can't cuddle koalas in NSW as it is against the law here. Anyone who cares about koalas also wouldn't cuddle them anyway as they get stressed if they are touched but most people don't care about the feelings of the animals and do what they want anyway.

You can still cuddle them in Qld - and hope they don't pee on you at the same time, which they often do - due to the aforementioned stress.

I would hope that Harry and Meghan would refuse to cuddle, or even pat them and send the message - look but don't touch if you actually care about these gorgeous, endangered animals.