Harry & Meghan: Tour of Australia, Fiji, Tonga and New Zealand - October 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:IluvBertie-Would you happen to know why it is permitted to cuddle them in different states?

From what I've heard, koalas may look so cute and cuddly but appearances are deceiving in this case. As Iluvbertie has explained, koalas are happiest on their own in eucalyptus trees munching on its leaves which is a steady diet for them. They'd also probably rather be napping. A koala, on average, is awake 4 hours out of a day. Here's some interesting facts about koalas.

10 Things You Didn’t Know About Koalas | Mental Floss

Interesting. Didn't know all this about koalas before.

The bottom line is that if you really feel the urge to cuddle up with a koala bear, the best option is to get a big, stuffed one like I have. They are so amazingly cute and cuddly looking animals and rank in my top 10 of animals that are cute.

Koala's also can also carry chlamydia which is transferable from what I read.

LaRae

Koalas are actually kind of gross animals lol. I remember reading about them as a kid and being like "no thank you"

Koalas are actually kind of gross animals lol. I remember reading about them as a kid and being like "no thank you"

Honestly, it's gone down that way in my book just with the peeing and chlamydia.:lol: I'll never want to do anything more than observe from afar now. Which is a good thing for both of us I take it. :lol:

This is great. Harry and Meghan's tour hasn't even started yet and already we're learning more than we knew before just discussing the upcoming tour.

I think we're all going to walk away when this tour is over knowing a lot more about "down under" living vicariously through Harry and Meghan as they go about this tour and enjoying every minute of it. ?

Speaking of the trip. I haven't checked the weather yet, but I hope for their sake and for all the participants' sake that the weather is nice. When IG was in Toronto, they were going through a heatwave.

Most likely flight for the couple on their way to Sydney:
BA flight from London Heathrow: leaving on Saturday May 13 either at 9.35 pm or at 7.55 pm via Singapore (arrival on Monday 6.10 am in Sydney).

Yep as discussed in Eugenie's wedding thread. The reason the Sussexes are said to likely skip the carnival event on the 13th is because they are flying commercial from London to Sydney. The average flight time is 22 hours. So they'll leave on the 13th, be in the air all of 14th and arrive on the 15th for prep and briefings before the start of the tour the next day.

So for the Sussexes it's going to be a marathon even before the tour officially start from October 12-31st non-stop. Harry even has an engagement on the 10th with William if I am not mistaken.

This is going to be a punishing schedule for the Sussexes especially as there are still some events that haven't been announced yet due to embargo.

This is going to be a punishing schedule for the Sussexes especially as there are still some events that haven't been announced yet due to embargo.

For the tour or before? Who hinted the embargo?

For the tour or before? Who hinted the embargo?

The royal reporters said some engagements were under embargo for the tour. So there are more than what has been reported.

The royal reporters said some engagements were under embargo for the tour. So there are more than what has been reported.

It's a crammed tour as it is. But these two keep surprising me. :lol:

Who said that?

Who said that?

I can't remember which for sure, but i think it was Omid/Emily in the On Heir episode. I will go have a check and post what I find tomorrow.:flowers:

Emily and Omid said that Meghan will go to an event by the Governor General of NZ to celebrate the 125 years of women's suffrage in NZ. And she will give a speech there.

:previous:IluvBertie-Would you happen to know why it is permitted to cuddle them in different states?

Simple - dollars.

To go to a place where you can cuddle or pat a koala costs money and in some cases you pay extra to cuddle them.

The almighty dollar rules.

In Qld tourism is a massive part of their income, especially from Japanese and Chinese tourists who want to cuddle a koala.

NSW is less reliant on tourism (yes it is still a large part of our economy but not as big a percentage as it is in Queensland) which is why we are able to be more stringent in our laws - NSW want lose as much money by stopping the cuddles than Qld would.

The koalas that are available for cuddles are clamydia free. This disease is a big problem in the wild and is transferable from K to K. Have never heard of it being transferred to humans.
We humans are doing our best to eradicate the disease.
Just about every VIP who comes to these shores has their photo taken with a koala.
A great many hollywood celebrities have wanted to take one home with them.
They won't have to go far to see kangaroos either as there is a paddock behind the Governor Generals house where wild roo's graze freely and become a bit of a nuisance.

I was also thinking that with the tour starting on the 16th H & M will miss out on the State visit by King Willem Alexander and Queen Maxima to the Uk. So Meghan (and more importantly US as in you and I ) will miss out on a Tiara event at the State dinner.
But I am sure Kate won't let us down with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Royal reporters are getting 76 engagements total on the tour while fans have counted up all the engagements and most seem to come to the consensus that there are roughly 60ish engagements in the press release.

Some Royal reporters have talked about the Sussexes taking part in Welly throwing that's part of some sports engagement with kids in New Zealand that hadn't been outlined in the press release and Emily on Twitter mentioned the Sussexes will interact with Koalas, Kiwis and marine life on the tour while there hadn't been any engagements announced that involve marine life.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got one or two surprise engagements on the tour.

Royal Central said the Danish palace confirmed that Prince Frederik will also attend the Invictus games but the press release doesn't mention any appearances with Prince Frederick.

If Prince Frederik does attend the games I can't imagine Harry and Meghan won't interact with him completely. They'll likely attend an event or sit together for the ceremonies.

Would we get an announcement from KP and when would they likely release that information?

Royal Central said the Danish palace confirmed that Prince Frederik will also attend the Invictus games but the press release doesn't mention any appearances with Prince Frederick.

If Prince Frederik does attend the games I can't imagine Harry and Meghan won't interact with him completely. They'll likely attend an event or sit together for the ceremonies.

Would we get an announcement from KP and when would they likely release that information?

I don’t believe anyone has been confirmed for IG officially yet. The Palace announcement is for the tour overall with summary events on IG. I don't think it is ever formally announced every IG event Harry will attend ahead of time in the past.

Royal reporters are getting 76 engagements total on the tour while fans have counted up all the engagements and most seem to come to the consensus that there are roughly 60ish engagements in the press release.

Some Royal reporters have talked about the Sussexes taking part in Welly throwing that's part of some sports engagement with kids in New Zealand that hadn't been outlined in the press release and Emily on Twitter mentioned the Sussexes will interact with Koalas, Kiwis and marine life on the tour while there hadn't been any engagements announced that involve marine life.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got one or two surprise engagements on the tour.

They did a summary for the days they are attending IG. That plus the fact that it's 76 total, so each will do a little bit less than 76 engagements. My guess is they are likely to split up for IG games in order to get to as many as possible.

Last edited:
Looking for tips on how to access local coverage in Australia and New Zealand during the tour. Quite a few of the newspapers (e.g. The Herald Sun and The Daily Telegraph) are behind pay walls. Ideas to work around?

Also, are their certain papers that tend to have better royal coverage? Trying to distinguish tabloids from mainstream press. Thx.

ABC news is a suggestion only. Also the Sydney Morning Herald - SMH.
Other Australian posters might have better ideas for you.

SMH is also behind a pay wall after 30 articles per month.

All the TV networks will cover the tour. Channel 7, who are covering Eugenie's wedding, are advertising themselves as 'The Royal Network' but that is simply an attempt to be the 'go to' station.

news.com.au is a possibility and is free.

Sky News Australia will also do a lot of coverage.

The Daily Mail - I know - but they do have an Australian page and they will do wall to wall coverage as well with probably 20 - 30 articles on each five minutes of the tour.

Personally I will probably just have my TV set to Channel 7 as I prefer that channel for a lot of reasons (yes I watch Sunrise over Today ... and I think Sunrise does an excellent royal coverage of events but that is my opinion). I will have the good fortune to be at home for this visit rather than having to go to work ... although I will have to make two visits each week to rehab for my knee which is progressing very well so will be setting the IQ to record on those days).

I would love to be able to go to somewhere in Sydney to see them but that is not possible with my knee so will have to wait to see them until the visit again. Meghan is the only member of the BRF I haven't seen up close but will have to wait ....

To be honest, when it comes to finding coverage of this tour, I think the best place to be is right here. People from all over find articles and pictures and stories of interest and post the links for us. Especially our down under friends.
:D

One thing I do have to say about this tour and the Daily Fail coverage of it is that they will have the best pictures to be found. Their reporting may be screwy but their photography is top notch.

Last edited:
Yeah I don’t think anyone will have trouble getting pictures, videos, etc.

I am curious to see the protocol in Tonga. Harry and Meghan are meeting the king and queen so a bow and curtsy will be required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom