Harry & Meghan: Tour of Australia, Fiji, Tonga and New Zealand - October 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunrise is reporting on a new poll on the republican sentiment in Australia off the back of the recent tour. Polls find a support for the monarch has gone up especially among young people.

This is great news. I think they did precise what was intended. I hope the RF and specifically the Queen is proud of work they did on this tour. While there were some hiccups with timing and 'tags', I thought it was a success for being their first tour.

Great to hear! Out of interest, how strong were republican sentiments amongst Australians before the Sussexes embarked on their tour?
The tour was very successful indeed and I'm glad that it got the reception - and more - the couple and the BRF had hoped.

As an Australian, I think one of the reasons for an increase in popularity for the monarchy in recent years is the constant instability we have had with Prime Ministers. No Prime Minister has completed a full term since John Howard in 2004-2007. The republican model put forward was for Parliament to choose a Head of State and many young people no longer trust our politicians. I am supportive of an Australian republic but like many I know now see the monarchy as a form of stability in our revolving door of politics. Not sure I want our current bunch of self serving politicians choosing a head of state. Having said that people also love weddings and babies and the younger royals are at that stage in life. Meghan and Harry did well on this tour and displayed the down to earth human touch that Aussies love.

Great to hear! Out of interest, how strong were republican sentiments amongst Australians before the Sussexes embarked on their tour?
The tour was very successful indeed and I'm glad that it got the reception - and more - the couple and the BRF had hoped.

So it seems like before the tour, the percentage was about 50% in favour of a Republic. After the tour, only 40%.

Before the tour 41% were against becoming a Republic, while after the tour 47% were against it.

I would have to get my hands on the dataset to see what the variables were, how the question was asked and if this was a random sampling to determine the validity of the numbers. None the less, I'm sure it's good news for the BRF.

As an Australian, I think one of the reasons for an increase in popularity for the monarchy in recent years is the constant instability we have had with Prime Ministers. No Prime Minister has completed a full term since John Howard in 2004-2007. The republican model put forward was for Parliament to choose a Head of State and many young people no longer trust our politicians. I am supportive of an Australian republic but like many I know now see the monarchy as a form of stability in our revolving door of politics. Not sure I want our current bunch of self serving politicians choosing a head of state. Having said that people also love weddings and babies and the younger royals are at that stage in life. Meghan and Harry did well on this tour and displayed the down to earth human touch that Aussies love.

Thank you. Those are 2 variables to take into consideration. If I didn't have a full time job, I would so love to analyse the data for this poll.

Enjoyed watching the Tour on Sunday night. Brought back some memorable moments and some I missed at the time.
It was a great success for Meghan and I bet Harry enjoyed it that much more having Meghan by his side, sharing special moments together.
I hope they have had the time to wade through all those gifts.
For Meghan to recognise Hannah in the crowd was a very special moment.

It was lovely watching Harry on this tour, knowing how much he longed to have someone special to share his life with. Harry and Meghan are a formidable team and although there was a huge time difference for me, it was fun following them on this excellent tour.

There were many touching and personal moments on this tour, yes, it was sweet to watch when Meghan recognized Hannah. While there are so many who never heard of Meghan before she started dating Harry, there are others who were quietly inspired by her kindness & encouragement.

Those occasions where Harry and Meghan met up with people in the crowds, such as Daphne Dunn and Hannah, added so much to the tour. It was a bridge that showed that Harry and Meghan weren't just there "on display" to be gawked at and admired like a museum artifact but that Harry and Meghan both had a connection to the people. It made them reachable, touchable, up front and personal human beings that were involved. It made them relevant.

There were a lot of those little moments during the tour. Harry giving his umbrella to someone that needed it spoke volumes about the kind of man he is. Meghan displaying a macaroni necklace as if it were made of precious diamonds meant the world to little Gavin.

This is called walking the walk. No wonder it gets results. ?

With regard to the poll, I believe 55% for a republic was being touted here only a few months ago. As a monarchist and a Harry and Meghan fan I am delighted at this change.

However, I feel that these tours of popular young royals do provide a temporary boost in support for the monarchy, especially among the young but in general it doesn't last.

More of a problem for the republican movement here is I feel the same as the last time there was a referendum on the republic over twenty years ago. There are great difficulties in getting amendments passed constitutionally, which is why only a handful have passed since Federation.

Also, there may be difficulties in choosing what model of presidency to adopt, considering that in the 1990s the preferred one among the general public was a popularly elected President as in the US. Australia follows the Westminster system of Government and so that is not a good fit!

Agree that this debate is not at the forefront in the minds of most Aussies. Far too many other things to worry about!

Posts discussing US politics have been deleted as off topic.

Let’s move on from getting into Australian republicanism as well. That can be discussed at the Queen and Australia thread.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...told-Meghan-wear-tiara-looks-extravagant.html

The Prince of Wales told the DoS not to wear a tiara to her first overseas state dinner, fearing it might look ‘extravagant’.

Doubtful. It seems that BRF simply prefer not to do tiara events overseas in general these days. Especially considering it’s in a country where the First Lady does not have a tiara at her disposal.

I’m becoming a bit bored by media claiming to have some kind of exclusive on things months after the fact. If it was truly something extraordinary, they wouldn’t have sat on their hands for months. And if it’s a new lead, makes you wonder ihow the topic even came up months after.

It 'comes up' IMO as an excuse for this tabloid to contrast Meghan with Kate (glittering with jewels) and as an excuse to go through the old tale of Meghan and the wedding tiara.

The DM knows very well that the Fiji banquet wasn't the same as a State Dinner. And of course the protocol Chiefs at BP would have briefed H+M long before the tour about tiaras not being worn.

I’m taking this story with a huge pinch of salt, a wedge of lime and a shot of tequila.

Daily Mail are at the far reaches of writing anything actually believable anymore.

I'll join you on that drink. You'd think the Fail would know that should Meghan have had any use for a tiara on the down under tour, it would be the Queen that would loan her one or advise her on what jewels to wear. Where in the world they came up with Charles is anyone's guess.

Check that tequila bottle. The Fail may have emptied it already. :lol:

Its never a competition and wearing a tiara and gowns and gazillion diamonds, rubies, emeralds and all the rest doesn't denote importance, rank, file, goodness of character, work ethic or anything remotely able to be judged.

Tiaras are reserved for specific occasions requiring white tie formal wear. The days where one would dress "to the nines" just to step out and collect the evening paper are long since gone.

The Fail is a dying breed and they'll grasp at anything these days but don't realize that the rope they're grasping at is the one that has a noose on it and about ready to hang 'em high. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it's Tiara gate 2.0. Recycling old gossip and tagging a new line. Charles is not sovereign yet so how can he determine what jewels to wear? Someone wants us to believe Charles and Meghan are not close.

It 'comes up' IMO as an excuse for this tabloid to contrast Meghan with Kate (glittering with jewels) and as an excuse to go through the old tale of Meghan and the wedding tiara.

The DM knows very well that the Fiji banquet wasn't the same as a State Dinner. And of course the protocol Chiefs at BP would have briefed H+M long before the tour about tiaras not being worn.

Most of the inside "rumors" that are published about Meghan tend to be actually true to a certain extent at least. In this case, however, I agree that the Fiji banquet was not supposed to be a tiara event and the proper dress code would have been discussed with the Duchess long before the event.

Having said that, maybe Prince Charles also talked to her informally about the tour in general and, en passant, mentioned the issue of dress codes for those types of events, which might be the source of the story in the DM.

Last edited:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...told-Meghan-wear-tiara-looks-extravagant.html

The Prince of Wales told the DoS not to wear a tiara to her first overseas state dinner, fearing it might look ‘extravagant’.

Oh pleaaaaaase who can believe that ? Still dont understand why this kind of clickbait headline is posted here. Really people ?
Thought it was a serious royal watchers community here, and as such WE ALL KNOW that british royal ladies don't wear tiaras anymore during official overseas tours (except Commonwealth summit).
"The Absence of a tiara drew attention" : best laugh of the week ....

On the same level Harry and Meghan are apparently moving to Malibu :
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c1/f3/d5/c1f3d5381bc548130e3a44d3003257b5.jpg

After all why don't we post these "news" ? The Daily Mail seems to get a free pass on this forum ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom