Harry & Meghan: Tour of Australia, Fiji, Tonga and New Zealand - October 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Succession is relevant because it is secured for the next generation. If William and Kate had no children then the pressure would mount on Harry to have a child to secure that succession. The BRF is well aware that the children of younger sons have inherited in the past. They are also well aware of the situation that arose 200 years ago when the King had no legitimate grandchildren, despite having 15 children.

A 'side trip' is not necessary a minor trip but one taking place during a visit somewhere else. Just as Charles made a 'side trip' to Vanuatu in April Harry and Meghan are being sent to Fiji and Tonga in the middle of the Invictus Games - something Harry has attended every day in the past but this year he has to miss half of the games to go to these countries on behalf of the British FCO.

I am so pleased that so many people on here would be happy to take a preventable risk and face the possibility of having a child affected by the Zika virus. I don't care how small the risk - why take it at all when waiting another six months should reduce that risk at all, or if already pregnant, calling off those legs of the tour.

I hope Harry and Meghan have a number of healthy babies, if that is what they want - but I stress 'healthy'. Why take any unnecessary risks, especially for a woman who is already 37 when there are other risks already there.

I wouldnt be surprised if Channel 7 in Australia did a rolling coverage of the tour, at least when they arrive in the country and maybe the Invictus Games opening ceremony.

I agree, and other Channels like 9 may cover a lot of the tour as well. There'll be a big media contingent travelling with them from Britain anyway.

I wouldnt be surprised if Channel 7 in Australia did a rolling coverage of the tour, at least when they arrive in the country and maybe the Invictus Games opening ceremony.

The ABC has the rights to the games so will be doing the opening ceremony, along with various events and the closing ceremony. Whether they do live coverage or only a highlights package each day I don't know.

Channel 7 may be allowed to cover them arriving at the venues but that is all (and often with these sorts of events only the 'host broadcaster' is allowed to show things like that).

I didn’t know one of the channels have exclusive rights to it. I don’t seem to recall this for Toronto. But perhaps that ensure it’ll show on TV? I think ESPN showed the opening ceremony when it was Orlando.

In Australia the ABC has always had the rights - and they did for Toronto as well.

The other channels may show a limited amount of coverage in their news bulletins but the actual coverage is down to the ABC - who have put money into staging the games as well as a result of buying the rights. Normal practice down here for one network to own the rights to a sporting event and limit the other networks access (no different to the Commonwealth Games earlier this year when Channel 7 had the rights or the football etc).

I wonder if Meghan will take along some of the Queen's jewellery to wear?
E.g. a Royal Brooch or a Tiara?

I wonder if Meghan will take along some of the Queen's jewellery to wear?
E.g. a Royal Brooch or a Tiara?

She might take along a brooch, but definitely there won't be any tiara events on a tour like that.

There is no three day gap. The Express needs to do better research. They are visiting Tonga and Fiji those days.

Tuesday 16th October: Sydney, Australia
Wednesday 17th October: Dubbo, Australia
Thursday 18th October: Melbourne, Australia
Friday 19th October: Sydney, Australia
Saturday 20th October: Sydney, Australia
Sunday 21st October: Sydney, Australia
Monday 22nd October: Fraser Island, Australia
Tuesday 23rd October: Suva, Fiji
Wednesday 24th October: Suva, Fiji
Thursday 25th October: Nadi, Fiji and Nuku’alofa, Tonga
Friday 26th October: Nuku’alofa, Tonga and Sydney, Australia
Saturday 27th October: Sydney, Australia
Sunday 28th October: Wellington, New Zealand
Monday 29th October: Wellington and Abel Tasman, New Zealand
Tuesday 30th October: Auckland, New Zealand
Wednesday 31st October: Rotorua, New Zealand"

Thanks guys - didn't bother checking, but it is all over the internet with lots of different outlets repeating it.

(Well known media repeating same details.)

Thanks guys - didn't bother checking, but it is all over the internet with lots of different outlets repeating it.

(Well known media repeating same details.)

Unfortunately doing their homework is a choice in journalism these days.

Unfortunately doing their homework is a choice in journalism these days.

And I'm always interested in the private side of their lives - hence every Cotswold, Lake Como, Amsterdam, Adelaide Cottage, etc report that comes out, I'm there hoovering it up - true or not! :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
There was briefing on the trip this morning. VERY busy time for The Sussexes, both together and on their own. Doesn't seem to have much break time built in. It's also nice to see that she'll be doing an event with UN Women. Nice nod to her past involvement.

Emily Andrews

Verified account

@byEmilyAndrews
Following Following @byEmilyAndrews
More
Just had the tour briefing for #royaltourAustralia ����#royaltourNZ ���� #royaltour Fiji ����& Tonga ���� & it looks great! #HarryandMeghan are going to see koalas at Sydney zoo, Harry will climb Sydney Harbour Bridge to launch #InvictusGames2018, Meghan will champion women &kids

7:31 AM - 4 Oct 2018

Emily Andrews

Verified account

@byEmilyAndrews
10m10 minutes ago
More
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s #RoyalTour starts in Sydney on October 15: 16 days and a staggering 56 engagements over four countries, Oz, Fiji, Tonga & NZ incl #InvictusGames2018

Emily Andrews

Verified account

@byEmilyAndrews
5m5 minutes ago
More
#duchessofsussex Meghan will also make a couple of speeches, host a couple of engagements on her own in Fiji with UN Women to encourage female empowerment & entrepreneurs in Suva markets

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ETA: More details about Meghan's work with UN Women.

Omid Scobie

Verified account

@scobie
20m20 minutes ago
More
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s #RoyalTour is just 11 days away and more details have been released by the Palace ahead of their first engagements in Sydney on October 15.
The couple will take on an incredible 56 engagements during their Oz, Fiji, Tonga and New Zealand travels.

Omid Scobie

Verified account

@scobie
20m20 minutes ago
More
We’ll also see Meghan take on solo engagements including a morning tea at the British High Commissioner’s Residence in Fiji on Oct 24 to showcase local women’s organisations and learn more about @UN_Women’s #MarketsForChange.

Omid Scobie

Verified account

@scobie
Following Following @scobie
More
On the same day she will also visit Suva Market to meet female vendors involved in @UN_Women’s #MarketForChange, which promotes women’s empowerment in Pacific marketplaces.

Last edited:
That is one jam-packed schedule. Can't recall such a busy one in years & that with no rest days. It does sound wonderful, though!

The RRs saying it is now 76 all together. Glad to know my math and reading skills haven't completely died over the years. Haha. And no rest day. These poor RRs then head right to Africa. They going to be BUSY!

That is one jam-packed schedule. Can't recall such a busy one in years & that with no rest days. It does sound wonderful, though!

I think Prince Charles and DoC don't take rest days. Or at least Prince Charles doesn't. I think DoC was scheduled to leave earlier than him when they were in Australia earlier this year. QEII and Prince Philip also didn't take rest days on their last trip to Australia. So I think rest days are more of an exception than rule.

That is a SERIOUSLY punishing schedule..

That is a SERIOUSLY punishing schedule..

I will say, I was thinking "IS IT OVER YET!!!" as I was reading it. That was a long brief. :lol:

Updated count:

Emily Andrews

Verified account

@byEmilyAndrews
14m14 minutes ago
More
So... have counted up ALL the engagements... there are 76 (I triple checked with @Scobie & @emynash so it MUST be right...) over 16 days, four countries and LOTS of animals, incl koalas, kiwi birds & marine life. #royaltourAustralia & #royaltourNZ looks GREAT!

Per my calculation(if I can still use a calculator right:p), that 4.75 engagements a day on average.

Last edited:
Notice they are getting a State Dinner on the 23rd. Interesting.

I didn't see there was a state dinner. There's an evening thing...but didn't think it was that.

LaRae

Thanks, totally missed that! lol

So...hmmmmm tiara event?

LaRae

Doubt it. The dress code for Fiji state dinners are rather relaxed. Although, I'm still surprised that it is being billed as a state dinner.

Doesn't like like any rest days and yes, a packed itinerary and an interesting one. They'll be meeting all sorts of people from many walks of life and seeing lots of marvellous sights. It will be a baptism of fire for Meghan but she is more than capable. I hope they both have a great time.

Jacqui now that I know it's being presented at a State Dinner..that's why I wondered about the bling. At least maybe we will get to see her in a formal evening gown?

I'm seeing 76 events in 11 days...can't even imagine it Curryong. But what a great time they will have!

LaRae

Jacqui now that I know it's being presented at a State Dinner..that's why I wondered about the bling. At least maybe we will get to see her in a formal evening gown?

I'm seeing 76 events in 11 days...can't even imagine it Curryong. But what a great time they will have!

LaRae
I hope so, and there's also the dinner with the King and Queen of Tonga. Let's pray for beautiful (colorful!) evening gowns! It's the Pacific, all I think of it is flowers and colors!!! I'm so excited!!!

There’ll be welly wanging in NZ and Harry climbing Sydney Harbour Bridge + plenty of serious stuff and @InvictusSydney

@simonvigar5
Royal correspondent for 5 News

"Welly throwing, also known as welly hoying, welly wanging and boot throwing, is a sport in which competitors are required to throw a Wellington boot as far as possible." - wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom