Harry & Meghan: Tour of Australia, Fiji, Tonga and New Zealand - October 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh wow, some unexpected gems in there! I am REALLY excited that the BRF is heading Rotorua again. While I come from an ardent monarchist family to begin with, my late Gran's love and admiration of the BRF really ignited when she was volunteering in Rotorua back in '54 and had the pleasure of meeting the Queen and Prince Phillip on their first royal tour. Ahh, hard to imagine that that was almost 65 years ago. What a marvellous and steadfast Queen we have, no?

Anyway, I predicted a similar outline, albeit with Fiji on the 1st & 2nd instead of in between. I must admit that it makes more sense this way logistically, but I am already seeing the headlines from the trash mags - by the very people who are up in arms about not being given the respect and privileges that they feel entitled to... sigh.

I am looking forward to our first big tour(of many more) for this couple! :)

Last edited:
Excellent! Some of the schedule at last. Hoping to see them in two cities, Sydney and Melbourne, which will be great.

The schedule looks amazing. Can't wait for the tour!

I really think its a bad idea for them to not be focusing on Invictus more...

I agree. That was the one thing that bothered me when I saw the schedule this morning. It’ll almost entirely be official your business with just beginning and end of IG. I think that’s quite unfortunate. Perhaps it is to make sure they get some rest before Remembrance Day events kick off, but staying a couple of extra days wouldn’t have hurt.

I guess it’s official that they’ll leave the Monday after Eugenie’s wedding.

Last edited:

I'm fine with it. They are going days before, attending the opening, the day after, and then closing. I would have liked some more in the middle but I understand as they only have 2 weeks and the schedule is packed. This is where the ambassadors step in. 16 days. Looking forward to the tour.

I'm loving this busy looking schedule. 16 days is a quite ling tour, isn't it?

I hope they take part in a lot of interesting and varied activities. Long tours gets boring and repetitive and since Meghan has joined I find they do too many activities like just go and look at things in museums. Which is absolutely fine but just watching them look at things in museums isn't the most exciting thing to watch.

Harry is usually up for getting down and trying local activities and sports so I hope we see that with Meghan as she becomes more comfortable at different point in the tour.

:previous:

I think I read that Harry has moved away from participating in the sports because of his back? I think Richard Palmer was the one that said something about it awhile back. We didn't see from him when they were at Bath, and certainly there was another chance in Ireland. But perhaps some local cultures.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Ireland at Croque Park they were given the bats as a present from the athelets as a gift but in local interviews with the athletes present made it very clear they said none of the athletes or anyone invited the Sussexes to take part in the sports. Croquet park was the site of a massacres of Irish citizens by English soldiers so I believe it would have been a massive misstep for the royals to revisit the same site to play games themselves but rather simply observe how the country and its citizens have moved forward.

KP never planned for any sports for the couple at Croque Park it was one of the most political sensetive stops of their Ireland tour.

That's interesting because I don't believe that was widely reported back then. Especially in the UK coverage. In fact I do recall something was stated explicitly different, but that was a comment made in passing. Learn something new every day.

That trip had more political sensitivity than I thought. I mean, in general, Ireland is a sensitive topic, but Charles and Camilla have made visits before (in fact, they had one just a month before, which never made sense to me why they needed two royal trips so close to each other). I know the Famine Memorial was sensitive, but didn't know about Croque Park.

This is why I hate royal reporting at times. They have the resources to really write some very interesting articles and help elevate and educate fans on the works of their favourite royals but we simply keep getting hundreds of articles on what the women wore, how much it costs and protocol.

For example the Dubbo stop at this tour is very unexpected but I hope they have some substantial and interesting engagements and meetings planned on that day because that region has mostly farmlands that is going through a massive drought at the moment and has been an absolute terrible hit to the farming communities there. Farmers are having to decide between feeding their livestock or their families.

Here is a link about a drive that was organized to help supply farmers with food for their families while they they to keep their livestock alive.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/drought-relief-convoy-heads-to-regional-nsw-to-help-farmers

I hope we can hear some stories from these farmers.

This news report talks about the tour and they mention the planned visit to Dubbo will likely be centered around the drought and the visit to Frasier Island will be centered around sustainability and ecotourism.

I think I read that Harry has moved away from participating in the sports because of his back?

Harry’s been playing polo all summer, so I think his back is fine for ‘’playing’’ a sport for a few minutes for the cameras. I think it will depend on their schedule, not his health concerns.

This news report talks about the tour and they mention the planned visit to Dubbo will likely be centered around the drought and the visit to Frasier Island will be centered around sustainability and ecotourism.

There was mention that they’ll be dedicating a couple of forests to The Queen’s Canopy initiative. I believe one of them is on Fraser Island.

Last edited:
Large areas of Australia are under severe drought. This has been going for some time. However, as well as visiting affected farmers there may be another reason for the visit to Dubbo.
The large (and well known in Australia) Western Plains Zoo is located near Dubbo. It contains many endangered species, not just from Australia and elsewhere but Africa.

Dubbo Zoo - Taronga Western Plains Zoo

I hope they take part in a lot of interesting and varied activities. Long tours gets boring and repetitive and since Meghan has joined I find they do too many activities like just go and look at things in museums. Which is absolutely fine but just watching them look at things in museums isn't the most exciting thing to watch.

Harry is usually up for getting down and trying local activities and sports so I hope we see that with Meghan as she becomes more comfortable at different point in the tour.

Some of the population find things like museums interesting, exciting, enlightening. Some of the population finds someone shaking hands and getting flowers over and over to be repetitive. Some of us even think that inevitable shot with some royal grinning across the rope at some child or elderly veteran to be a pablum "go to" shot that will always make the news, but with little content.

And honestly, I think the royals very often visit the places that the locals want to show off. Whether or not it entertains us is not the point.

But the young royals also add in events and topics that interest them, thank heavens. Because to do otherwise would make for an unengaged life.

There will be a variety of activities come the days of the tour, trust me.

A few points to note from yesterday's announcement about the Duke & Duchess of Sussex's forthcoming tour to Australia, NZ, Fiji and Tonga: the couple will both be travelling to the Pacific islands, which carry a moderate zika risk warning (take from that what you will) and contrary to reports about 'grand mansions' in Sydney and the like, they will be staying in official residences as much as possible (including Australia).
We've also had a sneak peek at the itinerary and it's packed! They've tried to minimise 'staid' official functions in favour of meeting as many, particularly young people, as possible. Looks good.

- Rebecca English on Twitter

I understand it's going to be an immensely packed tour but I hope Harry is able to a social media check in or send a few videos to Invictus throughout the games while they are going around to other countries and keep some sort of on going connection to Invictus even on the days they are away.

Thanks Fros - it makes sense about staying in official residences.

Here's a video of still shots of Admiralty House, inside and out, which is where I expect they will stay when here in Sydney.

And a video about Fraser Island which, although slanted towards the resort it's promoting, shows a lot about the island. (Scroll down.)

Harry and Meghan staying overnight? - or just a quick day trip?

https://www.fraserisland.net/fraser-activities

I understand it's going to be an immensely packed tour but I hope Harry is able to a social media check in or send a few videos to Invictus throughout the games while they are going around to other countries and keep some sort of on going connection to Invictus even on the days they are away.

Using social media as a way to communicate, perhaps live tweeting congratulations, him and Meghan sending out video congratulations would be a great way to remain a part of the conversation.

It is interesting to see Rebecca debunk some of the rumors her paper reported regarding staying in luxurious hotels etc.

contrary to reports about 'grand mansions' in Sydney and the like, they will be staying in official residences as much as possible (including Australia).

- Rebecca English on Twitter

The irony of Rebecca of ALL people tweeting that.... and her (usual) lack of complete shame about it. :blink::innocent:That place breeds very 'special' people.

Since Rebecca English's tweet touched on Zika. I will mention that the CDC has changed their advisory for couples trying to conceive after visiting areas affected by Zika Virus. Women are now advised to wait 2 months as opposed to the 6 months before. Men are advised to wait 3 months, same as before. Take from that what you will.

Last edited:
People are fascinated with Zika like individuals who live there don't give birth to perfectly healthy children every single day. I get the concern but it seems odd how these reporters are fixating on it. No one knows Harry and Meghan's plans but they clearly have planned this tour for months, so I think it is safe to say they are well aware of all the risks.

Of course they are aware of the risks and would be taking appropriate medical advice. There is a 'risk'. Would you take that risk and either visit there if pregnant or get pregnant within the months afterwards if you could avoid that risk? I know what I would do.

There are risks about a lot of things. We are able to make decisions about avoiding those dangers or take the risk and have to live with the negative consequences if they arise. People who live with these risks every day don't necessarily have those choices.

Of course they are aware of the risks and would be taking appropriate medical advice. There is a 'risk'. Would you take that risk and either visit there if pregnant or get pregnant within the months afterwards if you could avoid that risk? I know what I would do.

There are risks about a lot of things. We are able to make decisions about avoiding those dangers or take the risk and have to live with the negative consequences if they arise. People who live with these risks every day don't necessarily have those choices.

Well H&M can’t keep being made to put their plans on hold until it becomes almost impossible for their much wanted plans to ever materialise can they? And why should they have to? Although I’m certain there are plenty that would rather that be the case! There is always going to be a “risk” with any such plans either way and more so the older women get. That is just plain fact.

The Tory government have opted to use H&M as the ones they’d rather send to places during politically sensitive and potentially extremely dangerous times like that trip to Ireland during the peak marching season in Ulster. And now this visit to a place affected by the Zika Virus. Now I am not suggesting the government have deliberately chosen to do this to this particular royal couple although I am sure there are more controversial trips to come and there’s nothing to be done about that. But neither should the couple be made to feel they have put their lives on hold for very long periods of time.

As someone else kinda said, people in Tonga do give birth to healthy babies everyday despite the ‘risks’

Last edited:
Well H&M can’t keep being made to put their plans on hold until it becomes almost impossible for their much wanted plans to ever materialise can they? And why should they have to? Although I’m certain there are plenty that would rather that be the case! There is always going to be a “risk” with any such plans either way and more so the older women get. That is just plain fact.

The Tory government have opted to use H&M as the ones they’d rather send to places during politically sensitive times like that trip to Ireland during the peak marching season in Ulster. And now this visit to a place affected by the Zika Virus. Now I am not suggesting the government have deliberately chosen to do this to this particular royal couple although I am sure there are more controversial trips to come and there’s nothing to be done about that. But neither should the couple be made to feel they have put their lives on hold for very long periods of time.

As someone else kinda said, people in Tonga do give birth to healthy babies everyday despite the ‘risks’

This trip was always going to happen due to Invictus. Harry and the British government knew that. The British government also know a) the risks and b) that Meghan will want to get pregnant at some time.

If you thought there was a risk - however small - to a healthy baby would you take that risk???

If Meghan is currently pregnant I would expect her to cancel the side trips to Fiji and Tonga. Otherwise I would expect them to wait about six months after the trip to get pregnant - meaning they will be about the same length of time after the wedding as William and Kate and there is less pressure on Meghan to have a child as the succession is assured.

Yes Tonga women do give birth every day 'despite the risks' but then so do women in a lot of 'risk' factor areas.

That doesn't mean that if you can avoid that risk you should take it.

How would you feel if Meghan visits one of these countries while pregnant and has a child that is affected??? Surely better to avoid the risk than take it?

I think it will be next year before we can expect any sort of announcement about their family size. Even without this trip I don't think we would of gotten that sooner.

LaRae

This trip was always going to happen due to Invictus. Harry and the British government knew that. The British government also know a) the risks and b) that Meghan will want to get pregnant at some time.

If you thought there was a risk - however small - to a healthy baby would you take that risk???

If Meghan is currently pregnant I would expect her to cancel the side trips to Fiji and Tonga. Otherwise I would expect them to wait about six months after the trip to get pregnant - meaning they will be about the same length of time after the wedding as William and Kate and there is less pressure on Meghan to have a child as the succession is assured.

Yes Tonga women do give birth every day 'despite the risks' but then so do women in a lot of 'risk' factor areas.

That doesn't mean that if you can avoid that risk you should take it.

How would you feel if Meghan visits one of these countries while pregnant and has a child that is affected??? Surely better to avoid the risk than take it?

The World Health Organization has not issued a ban on young couples and/or non-pregnant women traveling to the Pacific Islands as it would have been the case if the risk were considered high. As far as I know, Meghan is not pregnant now and the probability that either she or Harry actually contract the virus is low. As long as they observe the six- month quarantine period ( as a matter of precaution only), I don’t see a reason to cancel the trip.

Last edited:
Wow. Once again, what does “succession” have to do with anything H&M concerning this tour? I find that train of thought very revealing/disturbing frankly especially as it’s very unlikely H&M give a damn about ‘positions’. But they have as much right as the other royal couples for the chance to build their much wanted family life whether some here like it or not. The couple may or may not already be in the family way prior to this working tour and nobody except them alone can actually say for certain either way. Regardless, the so-called “side trips” to Fiji and Tonga are not high risk and the visits are just as important/worthy as the ones to New Zealand and the like. When in a hole, stop...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom