The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-15-2018, 11:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Found it on Twitter! Tweeps never fail.

https://twitter.com/7NewsSydney/stat...15933818982400
I'll be honest, I'm very objective when it comes to the Sussexes, my favorite branches of the RF being the Yorks, Wessexes, and Kents. But when I saw that video of Harry and Meghan meeting Daphne, I started tearing up. It filled me with joy and their relationship is so warm and sweet. I pray they see her another time with their baby. (I can't find the crying emoji)

Old 10-15-2018, 11:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Thanks for finding that video, jacqui. I had the thought run through my head when hearing that Harry and Meghan were to do a walkabout that perhaps Daphne would be there front and center once again and sure enough, she was.

Its so touching to see that connection between Harry and Daphne has really formed a bond and now she's met his wife and shares in the news of the expected child. This isn't something one normally sees with a royal walkabout but there's just something special about this woman that has not only made an impression on Harry but now, also Meghan.

I would love to know what the entire conversation consisted of as they did take their sweet time talking to her. So heartwarming!

Old 10-15-2018, 11:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
Yes they are really lucky with the weather. Tomorrow in Dubbo a large country town ravaged by drought - the forecast is for heavy rain which they need. So wellington boots might be needed.

Meghan said to Daphne she would meet her baby next year when they come back. Which was a very sweet thing for her to say.
There is a town not far from Dubbo actually called Wellington - so maybe people should stop in there and see if they can get any although from what I am hearing it may be close to a ghost town tomorrow with everyone going to Dubbo.

Friends of mine in Bathurst have told me there are literally no buses available to rent in Bathurst for tomorrow as they have all be rented out to take people to Dubbo. Same with Orange - another town in the Central West of NSW on the main road from Sydney to Dubbo.

Sorry I haven't been commenting this morning but I have been discharged from the rehab hospital and had to go and do some shopping as I had no food in the house and my friend took me for a cuppa as well - something different from hospital food after nearly three weeks.

I am now safely at home and my puppy sitter delivered my baby boy about 20 minutes ago so I have me baby home and I am home and my new knee is being very good but I will be commenting tomorrow as I sit at home and watch everything knowing the area and even people who will be there in Dubbo.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:56 PM
Aristocracy

Hope you are ok Iluvbertie. It was reported that Megsie had to cut short the meet & greet at the opera house due to not feeling well.

Has anybody else heard this?
Old 10-15-2018, 11:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
There is a town not far from Dubbo actually called Wellington - so maybe people should stop in there and see if they can get any although from what I am hearing it may be close to a ghost town tomorrow with everyone going to Dubbo.

Friends of mine in Bathurst have told me there are literally no buses available to rent in Bathurst for tomorrow as they have all be rented out to take people to Dubbo. Same with Orange - another town in the Central West of NSW on the main road from Sydney to Dubbo.

Sorry I haven't been commenting this morning but I have been discharged from the rehab hospital and had to go and do some shopping as I had no food in the house and my friend took me for a cuppa as well - something different from hospital food after nearly three weeks.

I am now safely at home and my puppy sitter delivered my baby boy about 20 minutes ago so I have me baby home and I am home and my new knee is being very good but I will be commenting tomorrow as I sit at home and watch everything knowing the area and even people who will be there in Dubbo.
Glad to hear you are doing well!

TBH, I'm quite surprised at the turn out for this royal visit. I always hear about the significant Republican sentiment in Australia on here, but I'm pleasantly surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeyman View Post
Hope you are ok Iluvbertie. It was reported that Megsie had to cut short the meet & greet at the opera house due to not feeling well.

Has anybody else heard this?
No. I watched that live, and she was fine. They spent quite awhile there. They might not have met everyone, but that would've been nearly impossible. It was 10-12 people deep in some places. Think the turnout at their walkabouts in UK is good? Nothing compared to what happened today.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:10 AM
Serene Highness

They did leave quite a bit of people out which is unfortunate. But Meghan kept trying to go back into the crowd and it looked like Sam Cohen just grabbed her into the car lol.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

Significant republican feeling doesn't mean people aren't interested in seeing the royals.

I, for instance, am a republican - but I think it would be safe to say a fan of the BRF as well. I have no issue with that as the BRITISH royal family but believe that we here in Australia should have an Aussie as our Head of State, not an unelected person who lives on the other side of the world.

The British royals will always be welcome here as part of our tradition and the strong links we have with the UK.

There may have been many people, in those crowds, who feel like me. If I was fit enough I would have been there.

The two aren't mutually exclusive.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:48 AM
Majesty

Sydney Morning Herald reports on first day of the tour.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/harr...16-p509u8.html
Old 10-16-2018, 12:54 AM
Heir Apparent

She looks gorgeous. These two are great with kids, can't wait until we meet their little one.

https://twitter.com/MeghansMirror/st...37150756282368
Old 10-16-2018, 12:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Meghan told Daphne "next time we see you, we'll have our little one with us". I'm NOT crying...
I am. That entire exchange just was too much for this heart. Such a sweet moment watching Harry and Meghan with Daphne. So glad it happened.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:30 AM
Aristocracy

I think it would be fair to say that day 1 to date has been a great success.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
BTW, I feel sorry for the assistant that had to run out and get the UGG booties last night after the announcement came around prime time in Australia.

https://twitter.com/MirrorRoyal/stat...65220862787584

Gorgeous photo.

I said that very thing to Mom earlier...LOL!! I’ll bet that caused just a bit of panic among the GG’s Staff after that Announcement came out.

When I saw the footage of them arriving & heading to the car last night, it was the look on Harry’s face that instantly caught my eye. He literally appeared to be a man so giddy happy that he was about to explode. My Late Great Aunt would have put it like this : He looks like the Cat who not only caught the Canary, but managed to sneak into the Cold Pantry & drained the Cream can too!! 🤣🤣

Quote:
Gosh I felt so emotional when Harry and Meghan made a beeline for dear Daphne Dunne. A 98 year old lady who has met Harry twice before. She lost her husband in the war. Harry has kissed Daphne before and has told Meghan about her.
They had a microphone on so we could hear what they were saying.
And dear Daphne said to Harry, 'Now give me a kiss before you go.'
And like a dutiful young man he did. That got me quite emotional.
I hope your media captured the whole thing. It was lovely.

Smart Lady!! It sounds like they have a really lovely bond w/each other.

Quote:
Yes they are really lucky with the weather. Tomorrow in Dubbo a large country town ravaged by drought - the forecast is for heavy rain which they need. So wellington boots might be needed.

Meghan said to Daphne she would meet her baby next year when they come back. Which was a very sweet thing for her to say.

Oh..Okay...Who just put put Onions in w/my Gummi Bears!?! . My heart just literally melted.

As for Tomorrow...Something tells me if it rains, it won’t matter too much. Just a hunch. . Seriously, while we never got to Drought conditions this Summer, it was still very scary dry for us & we badly needed rain. We were only a small spark away from a run away Bush Fire taking place. It was nothing on the scale of what was happening Down Under though, so while for a “Regular” Royal Visit it doesn’t sound like great Weather, in this case it’s likely perfect.

Quote:
Lizzie Robinson

Verified account

@LizzieITV

Follow Follow @LizzieITV

More

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were given a cuddly koala and joey as a gift by @tarongazoo - Meghan told the keeper she would be putting them in the nursery #RoyalVisitAustralia #RoyalBaby

6:03 PM - 15 Oct 2018

Awww!! Well, that takes care of the two Animals as Plushies that you think of, when thinking about Australia, as Official Baby Gifts!!

Thanks to our Friends Down Under for sharing links, Tweets, Video, etc. Much appreciated!!
Old 10-16-2018, 01:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Wonder what other animals they'll collect along the way? That nursery is going to be filled with stuffed animals no matter what.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:08 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Photos and videos coming out from this afternoon's reception at Admiralty House hosted by the GG. Harry gave a brief speech, thanking Australia for the welcome and the support for the Invictus Games (and jokingly approving of the serving of both beer and tea at an afternoon reception, 'typical Aussie style' he said).

Royal Nikkhah @RoyaNikkhah 20m20 minutes ago
Prince Harry says he and Meghan are delighted to be in Australia and “we genuinely couldn’t think of a better place to announce the upcoming baby, whether it’s a boy or a girl.” #RoyalBaby #RoyalVisitAustralia
https://twitter.com/RoyaNikkhah/stat...58370947969024

Emily Nash @emynash 28m28 minutes ago
Harry thanks his hosts for the stay at Admiralty House and jokes “We’re inviting all our mates..” He says “we couldn’t think of a better place to announce the upcoming... baby!” ����
https://twitter.com/emynash/status/1052056425227268096

Chris Ship @chrisshipitv 41m41 minutes ago
Meghan meets baby. Cameras start clicking wildly �� ���� #royalvisitaustralia
https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/sta...53454879944705
Old 10-16-2018, 02:09 AM
Gentry

Ok, non-native English speaker is confused.
What is Dinkum and what is joey?
Dinkum is some kind of Australian saying, I get it, but what does it mean?
And about joey. Firstly I thought it's toy's kangaroo's name but now I see it's something else.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:17 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Found it on Twitter! Tweeps never fail.

https://twitter.com/7NewsSydney/stat...15933818982400
Thank goodness jacqui24.

They spent quite some time with Daphne - so glad the conversation between them was caught.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
I am. That entire exchange just was too much for this heart. Such a sweet moment watching Harry and Meghan with Daphne. So glad it happened.
I am so pleased you all got to see and hear the meeting with Daphne.

Thanks Jacqui too for the right words. I had tears in my eyes at the time of writing. It was just a very sweet exchange with Daphne. Yesterday they showed Daphne at the hairdressers getting her hair done and a little interview. So the media and officials look like they collaborated together for the meeting, as Daphne was put in a prominent spot to see Harry.

Now Bertie take care and glad you are home again.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:19 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daenys View Post
And about joey. Firstly I thought it's toy's kangaroo's name but now I see it's something else.

The babies of various Oz animals are called joeys Daenys - baby kangaroos, baby koalas, baby wombats, baby possums, baby wallabies, baby pademelons.

But baby platypus and echidna are called puggles, which is cute too.

Platypus and echidna are different to the other Oz marsupials - they hatch out of eggs, but then drink milk from their mums. (And the males have venom too!)

Joeys get born as practically embryos and then climb up their mother's bodies and find the pouch, attach to the teat in the pouch and stay there until they actually grow into something bigger with fur.

Then they pop their heads out!

All totally weird really.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:19 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daenys View Post

'Fair dinkum' is an Aussie slang phrase that means honest/honestly, true/truely, 'seriously?', depending on if it's used as an adjective or an adverb (comparative phrase is "for real?").
A joey is the name for a baby kangaroo, as well as other baby marsupials (like koalas, wombats, possums and quokkas).