Harry & Meghan: Tour of Australia, Fiji, Tonga and New Zealand - October 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think this has been posted yet but a nice article about how Harry and Meghan's different approaches to the crowds of people they meet.

https://amp.news.com.au/entertainme...ea87d6cb48be684c4f7?__twitter_impression=true

I thought in particular this part was interesting

"My other news.com.au colleague, James Weir, observed that Meghan was the “calming force” behind Prince Harry.

“As the prince bounces between different sides of the walkway to meet onlookers calling his name, Meghan is more gentle — taking her time with the people who are talking to her,” James said.

“While Harry has a more frantic energy, she remains firm and strong.”

We've talked about it before, where as Harry tries to run around and meet as many people as possible Meghan likes to take her time with people.

Tom Bradby who personally does know the couple has talked about the calming effect Meghan has on Harry its interesting other journalists are also seeing it.

What has the media coverage been like in the US?

What has the media coverage been like in the US?

All the morning shows have been covering it. Especially with the baby news. They were covering it in the lead up too without the pregnancy announcement. It's not like Australia, obviously, but the US media definitely sent people to cover the trip in person. The interest is definitely more on the pregnancy than the trip, but that's because they are visiting Australia, not US. :lol:

Not quite the same frenzy as the wedding, but I expect that to change when the due date is close. I expect another People cover soon.

Last edited:
Coming up to 9.00am here in Sydney.

Channel 9 is live crossing to outside Admiralty House, awaiting Harry and Meghan to drive to the airport for the flight to Dubbo.

Outrider motorcyles are ready and waiting.

And they're off!

More locals waiting - got a nice wave from both Harry and Meghan.

And the helicopter is following the motorcade - I love that!

Crossing the Bridge now, in the pretty heavy morning traffic - but they're travelling in the bus lane, motorcycle lights flashing.

Meghan wearing a white something - to quote the TV news reader. :lol:

And live crossing to people awaiting their arrival in Dubbo - never seen so many people wearing tiaras!

(And that includes European Royal weddings. :lol:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I've seen a Channel 9 live stream, but here is the ABC News live stream. They are also covering the tour throughout the day, though it seems not as extensive as Channel 9.

Is there a way for the mods to link it to the first post?

Today the couple will visit the headquarters of The Royal Flying Doctor Service in Dubbo. Now I don't have the statistics with me. I just want to let you know how invaluable a service this is to anyone in the outback.
If you have an accident - like a car accident - or any sort of medical emergency. And you are hundreds of miles and kilometres away from any sort of medical help.
Then the Royal Flying Doctor Service will come and treat you and fly you to a town with a big hospital. Just like an ambulance service.
Because of the vast distances here road travel can take many hours.

I used it myself last year. I was treated at a small hospital then the RFDS flew into the small town and flew me to a big city where I had to have surgery. And its free. The plane is small and very compact inside because of medical equipment. You can lie down of course. My flight with them took 20 minutes otherwise it would have been a 3 hour drive in an ambulance.

The RFDS also fly into very remote cattle (ranches) on a regular basis and hold medical clinics for the few locals. Some cattle ranches are so big they have there own school. (Brunette Downs for instance in the Northern Territory is nearly a million acres.) Managers on those big places tend to fly to big towns to do there shopping rather than drive. (Albeit in small aircraft.)
I am just trying to explain the large scope of what the RFDS do and how important a service it is to this country.

All the morning shows have been covering it. Especially with the baby news. They were covering it in the lead up too without the pregnancy announcement. It's not like Australia, obviously, but the US media definitely sent people to cover the trip in person. The interest is definitely more on the pregnancy than the trip, but that's because they are visiting Australia, not US. :lol:

Not quite the same frenzy as the wedding, but I expect that to change when the due date is close. I expect another People cover soon.

Thanks for that. I was curious as to how much interest there might be in the US for the royal couple.

Sunrise's coverage on them leaving Admiralty House.

Thanks for that. I was curious as to how much interest there might be in the US for the royal couple.

I should also mention the evening shows are covering it too as I've seen footage of it online, but I don't know about the news as I read more than stay around and watch it on TV. Though all the news outlets, including my local news, have run online articles about the baby if not the tour itself. The baby was in my Morning Briefing from NYT Monday.

Don't think this has been posted yet but a nice article about how Harry and Meghan's different approaches to the crowds of people they meet.

https://amp.news.com.au/entertainme...ea87d6cb48be684c4f7?__twitter_impression=true

I thought in particular this part was interesting

"My other news.com.au colleague, James Weir, observed that Meghan was the “calming force” behind Prince Harry.

“As the prince bounces between different sides of the walkway to meet onlookers calling his name, Meghan is more gentle — taking her time with the people who are talking to her,” James said.

“While Harry has a more frantic energy, she remains firm and strong.”

We've talked about it before, where as Harry tries to run around and meet as many people as possible Meghan likes to take her time with people.

Tom Bradby who personally does know the couple has talked about the calming effect Meghan has on Harry its interesting other journalists are also seeing it.

That's interesting Fros.

Did you see the almost five minutes of video of Harry sitting outside on the steps at Admiralty House having a good chin wag with someone.

(Not sure if it was a local, or was Harry's valet, who we were told is Fijian and called "Tiff".)

Anyway, what was immediately apparent, was how high energy Harry is - very expressive hands and arms as he was chatting.

Not one to sit around by the look of it.

Last edited:
We don't call them ranches down here of course but properties.

A friend of mine grew up on one such property in the 1960s and 1970s with her nearest neighbours over 400 miles away. She often spoke of her love and respect for the work of the RFDS and how it had saved lives on her father's property over the years. She, and her sisters, have been heavily involved all their lives in raising money to support this service. We had a 'school reunion' at her property about 20 years ago to attend a 'fundraising' ball for the RFDS and it was a real eye-opener to hear about and to speak to people who rely on this service. Our form made it our 'project' to support this service and now whenever we have a get together, anywhere in the world, however much we paid for the dinner etc we put that same amount into the 'fund' and send a cheque through each year e.g. in 2015 when I had my four weeks in the UK I meet up with four fellow students and we went to the Savoy for High Tea as our get together. We put the same amount the High Tea cost into an envelope which I then took to the bank when I returned to Sydney to have converted into Aussie dollars and then sent that money to the secretary to put into the fund (it was over $AU500).

Charles visited an RFDS base in the NT earlier this year and named a new plane for them there so Harry is following in his father's footsteps in naming a new plane later today.

Charles is the Patron of the 'Friends of the RFDS in the United Kingdom' which as it says raises money and awareness of the RFDS in the UK - and my formmates who live their attend events for that cause in the UK just as we do here in Australia.

Between 'School of the Air' and the 'RFDS' many people in remote areas of Australia are able to access services we in the city take for granted.

At the airport now - jet waiting...

...and in the plane now - door closed.

See you in Dubbo Harry, Meghan.

Last edited:
That's interesting Fros.

Did you see the almost five minutes of video of Harry sitting outside on the steps at Admiralty House having a good chin wag with someone.

(Not sure if it was a local, or was Harry's valet, who we were told if Fijian and called "Tiff".)

Anyway, what was immediately apparent, was how high energy Harry is - very expressive hands and arms as he was chatting.

Not one to sit around by the look of it.
How are you getting all this detail?!?!:lol:

I am absolutely pumped about the visit to Dubbo today haha. Cant wait to see how many people turn out for the Picnic. I read on the local council website that the Picnic in the Park runs from 11.30am-2.30pm.

Obviously Megsie and Harry wont be there for that entire time.

How are you getting all this detail?!?!:lol:

I'm really just using Daily Mail jacqui24 - but not posting things from there here on TRFs as I assumed any and everyone is doing the same.

Even the posters who say they can't stand that website. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Such great coverage yesterday - and photos changing/being updated throughout.

I only look at Daily Mail Australia and a few quick peaks at Daily Mail UK.

I'll post Harry's chat video if I can find it again - though some fellow posters may find it intrusive on the private day.

Seems to be professional media too - they had their sound up so high, could almost catch some of the converstaion.

(Don't open the link posters if it's against your ideas of public vs private.)

Other info is local - from the telly, though our radio stations would also be giving this a lot of coverage.

Did you see that rascal be put in his place by Harry at the Opera House yesterday - a joker from a radio station trying to upset the apple-cart.

Did you see Meghan's recommendation of Australian Tea-Tree Oil - again some media using an old Tig post.

Meghan uses the "Thursday Island" brand, I can reccomend the "Bosisto's" version.

Totally agree with all Meghan's sentiments - we even get it in large spray cans here - freshens your curtains and soft furnishings. Only thing for breakouts or mozzie bites.

Drives the cockroaches away too - they can't stand it, and they are big lovers of Sydney, being a port city with a warm and humid climate.

It's a big ingredient in "Elmore Oil" which is magic for arthritis, muscle aches, back pain etc.

So many beautiful photos in the Daily Mail yesterday of the couple. Hope you saw the lovely photos of Meghan with Missy and her baby, Axeyman. (And sorry, haven't heard about an extra engagement being added to the schedule.)

And when I heard about Harry's valet on Monday's coverage, I assumed all the posters already knew about him. It was news to me, but I'm not following every thing about Harry for the past years.

Sounds like our media have been given details to release at certain times - like who's showing up for Invictus etc.

Media is still stationed outside Admiralty House, so every coming and going is noted.

Did you see Harry use the word "snot" yesterday - oh Harry, really! Yes, that is what is was, but oh Harry, really!

I'll post the video if I can locate it again.

Have a great day following all the tour action jacqui24 and everyone.

Last edited:
So, a bit of happier and lighter discussion.

Someone pointed out that while on their way from the staircase at the Opera House to the crowd for the walkabout, Harry pointed out something to Meghan about the ground. This reminds of him doing the exact same thing to something on the ground at their Sussex visit. Is he going to point out every little potential crack on the street to his wife from now until next Spring? :lol: But it's really sweet to see him being so considerate and caring.

I am simply watching Channel 7 and reading here for my news. As the day unfolds I will give my opinion of what is happening in Dubbo (not my favourite central western town but then I am a Bathurst girl and that is a typical 'rivalry' attitude I am sure many of your can associate with - a friendly rivalry. I have friends who live in Dubbo and I have asked them to give me their impressions of the couple if they see them. All they have said so far is that given the size of the crowd they may not even get to see them as more and more people are expected to gather in the park and it is already quite a crowd for Dubbo).

Sun Lion,

Chris Reason from Channel 7 on multiple occasions yesterday stated that there has been an extra engagement added to the tour taking the total up to 77 in total.

Like you I havent heard anything about it. I'm sure we will hear about it in due course.

Can't find the video - may be it was taken down/there was a complaint.

Also the videos of the couple walking hand in hand in the garden - though a photo from that was yesterday's whole front page.

Here are some snaps from Monday at Admiralty House - the yoga lady, the takeaway delivery.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...IKmMZ3XD5yLnNIxHbwh6dNitKtUwWOEd22fyk9izDmdTn

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...dGqQ17QCGewbMJtGjasXGnPK0gCX3W2TdhHW4Rbk9Ev_r

Sun Lion,

Chris Reason from Channel 7 on multiple occasions yesterday stated that there has been an extra engagement added to the tour taking the total up to 77 in total.

Like you I havent heard anything about it. I'm sure we will hear about it in due course.

Thanks for the info Axeyman.

I wonder what it could be???

Just watched Meghan board the Royal Australian Air Force plane. From the long distance view our camerman had, Meghan looked to be wearing skinny jeans or trousers and a grey/green waterproof coat that fell to just below her thigh.

My Tv coverage is one hour behind Sun Lions due to daylight saving.
The Suits cast sent a congratulations twitter post for Meghan being pregnant.

Ok off the plane. White shirt skinny black jeans and a jacket Not green and Not waterproof. Greeting school kids at present.
Hair in a pony tail.

Wearing a Serena Williams collection jacket. Black ankle boots and a necklace by an aussie designer.

Last edited:
Loved seeing the couple go down a line of local schoolchildren when they arrived at Dubbo, shaking hands. A very little boy at the end, not of school age, came spontaneously out of the line and gave Harry a hug, and then touched his beard, much to Harry's amusement. The photo shutters were going crazy!

That little guy generated my biggest smile of the day (so far). Kids just seem to naturally gravitate towards Harry and Harry loves every minute of it. He gets down to their level and really communicates with them.

Harry would have made an excellent grade school teacher if he had been born into another way of life. :D

It's funny, many years ago someone would bring along a corgi for the Queen's walkabout, now its all sorts of dogs for Camilla, small kids and babies for Harry, so I am wondering what they will start bringing for Meghan?

The hug from the toddler was priceless, even more so than his fascination with Harry's beard. But did you see the look on his mother's face when that kid went in for the hug?

Sun Lion,

Could it be what Iluvbertie said a few days ago?

Jacqui24,

My apologies for being naive, but what did Iluvbertie say a few days ago.

Could it be what Iluvbertie said a few days ago?

Maybe jacqui24. Can't think what else would be added at the last minute apart from some sort of disaster area visit.

Also, are they coming back to Admiralty House tonight - or do they go straight down to Melbourne from Dubbo, ready for tomorrow?

Hope you all saw the cake cutting at the Flying Doctors, Harry is enjoying the day.

If you see footage of the farm visit - due to start in about ten minutes - the reporter was just explaining that this is what is called a green drought.

Doesn't look too bad, but no actual feed there for the stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom