The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-09-2018, 05:10 AM
Nobility

Royal reporters are getting 76 engagements total on the tour while fans have counted up all the engagements and most seem to come to the consensus that there are roughly 60ish engagements in the press release.

Some Royal reporters have talked about the Sussexes taking part in Welly throwing that's part of some sports engagement with kids in New Zealand that hadn't been outlined in the press release and Emily on Twitter mentioned the Sussexes will interact with Koalas, Kiwis and marine life on the tour while there hadn't been any engagements announced that involve marine life.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got one or two surprise engagements on the tour.

Old 10-09-2018, 05:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
I am looking forward to this trip!

Just for curiosity: Pope John Paul II holding a koala:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/31/77...acdf583cc5.jpg

That's a lovely photo. I hope Harry and Meghan get the chance considering they have such a tight schedule.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:44 AM
Nobility

Royal Central said the Danish palace confirmed that Prince Frederik will also attend the Invictus games but the press release doesn't mention any appearances with Prince Frederick.

If Prince Frederik does attend the games I can't imagine Harry and Meghan won't interact with him completely. They'll likely attend an event or sit together for the ceremonies.

Would we get an announcement from KP and when would they likely release that information?
Old 10-09-2018, 07:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fros View Post
Royal Central said the Danish palace confirmed that Prince Frederik will also attend the Invictus games but the press release doesn't mention any appearances with Prince Frederick.

If Prince Frederik does attend the games I can't imagine Harry and Meghan won't interact with him completely. They'll likely attend an event or sit together for the ceremonies.

Would we get an announcement from KP and when would they likely release that information?
I don’t believe anyone has been confirmed for IG officially yet. The Palace announcement is for the tour overall with summary events on IG. I don't think it is ever formally announced every IG event Harry will attend ahead of time in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fros View Post
Royal reporters are getting 76 engagements total on the tour while fans have counted up all the engagements and most seem to come to the consensus that there are roughly 60ish engagements in the press release.

Some Royal reporters have talked about the Sussexes taking part in Welly throwing that's part of some sports engagement with kids in New Zealand that hadn't been outlined in the press release and Emily on Twitter mentioned the Sussexes will interact with Koalas, Kiwis and marine life on the tour while there hadn't been any engagements announced that involve marine life.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got one or two surprise engagements on the tour.
They did a summary for the days they are attending IG. That plus the fact that it's 76 total, so each will do a little bit less than 76 engagements. My guess is they are likely to split up for IG games in order to get to as many as possible.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:24 PM
Aristocracy

Looking for tips on how to access local coverage in Australia and New Zealand during the tour. Quite a few of the newspapers (e.g. The Herald Sun and The Daily Telegraph) are behind pay walls. Ideas to work around?

Also, are their certain papers that tend to have better royal coverage? Trying to distinguish tabloids from mainstream press. Thx.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

ABC news is a suggestion only. Also the Sydney Morning Herald - SMH.
Other Australian posters might have better ideas for you.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

SMH is also behind a pay wall after 30 articles per month.

All the TV networks will cover the tour. Channel 7, who are covering Eugenie's wedding, are advertising themselves as 'The Royal Network' but that is simply an attempt to be the 'go to' station.

news.com.au is a possibility and is free.

Sky News Australia will also do a lot of coverage.

The Daily Mail - I know - but they do have an Australian page and they will do wall to wall coverage as well with probably 20 - 30 articles on each five minutes of the tour.

Personally I will probably just have my TV set to Channel 7 as I prefer that channel for a lot of reasons (yes I watch Sunrise over Today ... and I think Sunrise does an excellent royal coverage of events but that is my opinion). I will have the good fortune to be at home for this visit rather than having to go to work ... although I will have to make two visits each week to rehab for my knee which is progressing very well so will be setting the IQ to record on those days).

I would love to be able to go to somewhere in Sydney to see them but that is not possible with my knee so will have to wait to see them until the visit again. Meghan is the only member of the BRF I haven't seen up close but will have to wait ....
Old 10-09-2018, 05:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
To be honest, when it comes to finding coverage of this tour, I think the best place to be is right here. People from all over find articles and pictures and stories of interest and post the links for us. Especially our down under friends.

One thing I do have to say about this tour and the Daily Fail coverage of it is that they will have the best pictures to be found. Their reporting may be screwy but their photography is top notch.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Yeah I don’t think anyone will have trouble getting pictures, videos, etc.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:46 PM
Royal Highness

I am curious to see the protocol in Tonga. Harry and Meghan are meeting the king and queen so a bow and curtsy will be required.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Do they bow and curtsy in Tonga?
Old 10-09-2018, 11:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Etiquette

Formal attire for men includes a tupenu (skirt) and a ta'ovala (mat) worn around one's waist and kept in place by a belt of coconut fiber. Prestigious old belts made of human hair also are used. A shirt with a tie and a jacket complete the attire. Women wear long dresses and ta'ovala as well. The softness, color, and decorations of a ta'ovala indicate status and wealth.

People shake hands when they meet, and relatives kiss by pressing each other's noses against their faces and soundly inhaling through the nose. The men preparing the 'umu or roasting for a big feast do not eat with the guests and are allowed at the table only when the first round of people has finished eating and left. Most food is eaten with the hands, although silverware also is used. It is customary to wash one's hands at the beginning and end of a meal.

The gesture of raising the eyebrows in conversation expresses one's understanding of the speaker's speech and is an invitation to continue. It is difficult for people to admit failure in understanding or to respond negatively to requests.

Read more: https://www.everyculture.com/To-Z/To...#ixzz5TURn8N4E
Old 10-09-2018, 11:11 PM
Royal Highness

Something has to be done about the weather before they get here - we're in a rain bomb.

Pot-holes everywhere in the roads, palm fronds and mega leaf-litter covering everything.

Will you still climb the Harbour Bridge Harry, if the weather is like this.

(Will they even let you - those winds up that high.)

We're on Daylight Savings time now - but there's no daylight to see the difference.

Please note, if you're following from overseas - Queensland doesn't do Daylight Savings, so an hour's difference when they go to Fraser Island. An hour behind.

(Melbourne, Sydney, Dubbo all the same time as each other.)

Back to the weather -

Rain is horizontal - an umbrella won't save you.

(And this has been going on since the first day of Spring, September first.)

It got so bad a while ago, I though an East Coast Low was developing - our most destructive weather system, roofs blown off houses, trees down on cars with that.

Meghan, check those flags on the Bridge when you're staying at Admiralty House.

If those flags are straight out - it's a windy day. Think about hair-strands and flyaway skirts if you're going to be outside, especially around the Harbour.

Don't worry about being hot.

It doesn't look like Sydney will ever be hot again. Or blue-skied. Or calm!
Old 10-09-2018, 11:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Social Customs:

Anyone appearing in public without a shirt (and ladies covered from shoulder to below the knee) will risk being fined.

Dress code is very strict, as is Sunday observance, when no work (even on your own boat), sporting or other strenuous activities are allowed. Neither should laundry be hung out to dry.

Hats should never be worn either in church, or in the presence of a person in authority or someone to whom you wish to show respect.

Displaying anger or frustration is considered very bad form in Tonga.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:47 PM
Heir Apparent

So I guess the attire for going to church (if they were to go) would've been very different than at granny's for the ladies?
Old 10-09-2018, 11:51 PM
Heir Apparent

That's interesting, Sun Lion. Emily Andrews and Omid (he doesn't require a last name ) were talking about weather forecast for the tour, and they said it'd be hot and sunny from the forecast.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:28 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
That's interesting, Sun Lion. Emily Andrews and Omid (he doesn't require a last name ) were talking about weather forecast for the tour, and they said it'd be hot and sunny from the forecast.
Gosh I hope they're right. This has been a shocking Spring jacqui24.

I'm not sure if the drought has officially broken - rains too late for the crops in any case I think.

I'm ready for it to stop/move out to sea.

This is not Sydney at it's best. Fingers crossed for you Harry and Meghan.

Here's a clip of the show "Spirit" from 2011 by the Bangarra Dance Theatre.

Harry and Meghan will be watching a rehearsal of this year's "Spirit" performance inside the Opera House on their first day.

They arrive at the Man O'War Steps after coming across from Taronga, for any locals who might be around.

Not sure how long they will be indoors, but they will then mingle with the public after this, out the front of the Opera House.

https://youtu.be/FJtZZGXMN0Q

Bangarra are off to India with "Spirit 2018" - having performed it in Copenhagen, New York and China.

https://www.bangarra.com.au/whatson/...ons/india-2018
Old 10-10-2018, 01:30 AM
Heir Apparent

From Dubbo:

DubboRegionalCouncil

@DubboCouncil
Follow Follow @DubboCouncil
More
To celebrate the visit by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Mayor of the Dubbo Region, Ben Shields is inviting the community to attend Dubbo’s Picnic in the Park on October 17: https://bit.ly/2NmBVjF
https://twitter.com/DubboCouncil/sta...57940395634689
Old 10-10-2018, 01:45 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
From Dubbo:

DubboRegionalCouncil

@DubboCouncil
Follow Follow @DubboCouncil
More
To celebrate the visit by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Mayor of the Dubbo Region, Ben Shields is inviting the community to attend Dubbo’s Picnic in the Park on October 17: https://bit.ly/2NmBVjF
https://twitter.com/DubboCouncil/sta...57940395634689
I'm expecting the whole of Dubbo to turn out for this jacqui24.

And here's a video showing a bit of the Bridge Climb experience and views, though it is actually a promo about becoming a climb leader.

(Sydney looks so good in good weather!)

https://youtu.be/n9WY40uQ0Hw

And a video of the jettys at the Man O'War Steps.

That ear-piercing screeching sound of the jetty going up and down with every wave and swell is a constant.

Maybe they will do something before Harry and Meghan get off their boat there.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:46 AM
Serene Highness

It was raining like crazy last summer when Harry went, but some truly spectacular scenes came from that!