The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-08-2018, 12:00 PM
Heir Apparent

IluvBertie-Would you happen to know why it is permitted to cuddle them in different states?

Old 10-08-2018, 01:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
From what I've heard, koalas may look so cute and cuddly but appearances are deceiving in this case. As Iluvbertie has explained, koalas are happiest on their own in eucalyptus trees munching on its leaves which is a steady diet for them. They'd also probably rather be napping. A koala, on average, is awake 4 hours out of a day. Here's some interesting facts about koalas.

10 Things You Didn’t Know About Koalas | Mental Floss

Old 10-08-2018, 01:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Interesting. Didn't know all this about koalas before.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

The bottom line is that if you really feel the urge to cuddle up with a koala bear, the best option is to get a big, stuffed one like I have. They are so amazingly cute and cuddly looking animals and rank in my top 10 of animals that are cute.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Koala's also can also carry chlamydia which is transferable from what I read.

LaRae
Old 10-08-2018, 02:29 PM
Serene Highness

Koalas are actually kind of gross animals lol. I remember reading about them as a kid and being like "no thank you"
Old 10-08-2018, 03:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
Koalas are actually kind of gross animals lol. I remember reading about them as a kid and being like "no thank you"
Honestly, it's gone down that way in my book just with the peeing and chlamydia. I'll never want to do anything more than observe from afar now. Which is a good thing for both of us I take it.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

This is great. Harry and Meghan's tour hasn't even started yet and already we're learning more than we knew before just discussing the upcoming tour.

I think we're all going to walk away when this tour is over knowing a lot more about "down under" living vicariously through Harry and Meghan as they go about this tour and enjoying every minute of it.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Speaking of the trip. I haven't checked the weather yet, but I hope for their sake and for all the participants' sake that the weather is nice. When IG was in Toronto, they were going through a heatwave.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Most likely flight for the couple on their way to Sydney:
BA flight from London Heathrow: leaving on Saturday May 13 either at 9.35 pm or at 7.55 pm via Singapore (arrival on Monday 6.10 am in Sydney).
Old 10-08-2018, 08:28 PM
Nobility

Yep as discussed in Eugenie's wedding thread. The reason the Sussexes are said to likely skip the carnival event on the 13th is because they are flying commercial from London to Sydney. The average flight time is 22 hours. So they'll leave on the 13th, be in the air all of 14th and arrive on the 15th for prep and briefings before the start of the tour the next day.

So for the Sussexes it's going to be a marathon even before the tour officially start from October 12-31st non-stop. Harry even has an engagement on the 10th with William if I am not mistaken.

This is going to be a punishing schedule for the Sussexes especially as there are still some events that haven't been announced yet due to embargo.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fros View Post
This is going to be a punishing schedule for the Sussexes especially as there are still some events that haven't been announced yet due to embargo.
For the tour or before? Who hinted the embargo?
Old 10-08-2018, 10:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
For the tour or before? Who hinted the embargo?
The royal reporters said some engagements were under embargo for the tour. So there are more than what has been reported.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The royal reporters said some engagements were under embargo for the tour. So there are more than what has been reported.
It's a crammed tour as it is. But these two keep surprising me.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Who said that?
Old 10-08-2018, 11:40 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Who said that?
I can't remember which for sure, but i think it was Omid/Emily in the On Heir episode. I will go have a check and post what I find tomorrow.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Emily and Omid said that Meghan will go to an event by the Governor General of NZ to celebrate the 125 years of women's suffrage in NZ. And she will give a speech there.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
IluvBertie-Would you happen to know why it is permitted to cuddle them in different states?
Simple - dollars.

To go to a place where you can cuddle or pat a koala costs money and in some cases you pay extra to cuddle them.

The almighty dollar rules.

In Qld tourism is a massive part of their income, especially from Japanese and Chinese tourists who want to cuddle a koala.

NSW is less reliant on tourism (yes it is still a large part of our economy but not as big a percentage as it is in Queensland) which is why we are able to be more stringent in our laws - NSW want lose as much money by stopping the cuddles than Qld would.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

The koalas that are available for cuddles are clamydia free. This disease is a big problem in the wild and is transferable from K to K. Have never heard of it being transferred to humans.
We humans are doing our best to eradicate the disease.
Just about every VIP who comes to these shores has their photo taken with a koala.
A great many hollywood celebrities have wanted to take one home with them.
They won't have to go far to see kangaroos either as there is a paddock behind the Governor Generals house where wild roo's graze freely and become a bit of a nuisance.

I was also thinking that with the tour starting on the 16th H & M will miss out on the State visit by King Willem Alexander and Queen Maxima to the Uk. So Meghan (and more importantly US as in you and I ) will miss out on a Tiara event at the State dinner.
But I am sure Kate won't let us down with that.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:13 AM
Majesty

I am looking forward to this trip!

Just for curiosity: Pope John Paul II holding a koala:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/31/77...acdf583cc5.jpg