The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 04:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
well I wonder how much they knew about him. I dont imagine they thoguth too much about it, but it certainly caused a giood deal of talk....
Well, if they didn't think much about it, that's on them.

From the start I didn't like the idea of inviting someone that has no relation at all to the couple but apparently they were fine with it, so if they weren't as pleased afterwards (which we don't know) that shows a lack of interest/preparation on their end.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
The young, gifted violinist whom Meghan and Harry did 'handpick' was divine.
Cellist Different instrument altogether.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Well, if they didn't think much about it, that's on them.

From the start I didn't like the idea of inviting someone that has no relation at all to the couple but apparently they were fine with it, so if they weren't as pleased afterwards (which we don't know) that shows a lack of interest/preparation on their end.
I doubt if they were all that bothered..
Old 07-21-2018, 04:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
well obviously we are not gogn to agree. But Im curious as to what is a Quire.. I've never seen this word before....?
From Merriam Webster--Definition of quire-archaic spelling of choir

The Quire at St. George’s Chapel, Windsor – Royal Central

ETA-As someone else said, it was used in most of the articles written about the wedding.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

I’ve been to many churches, and attended many weddings. For the most part the sermons were quite trite and monotonous. The C of E’s membership and attendance has been in decline for years. Perhaps something different is required?

Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-21-2018, 05:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
I’ve been to many churches, and attended many weddings. For the most part the sermons were quite trite and monotonous. The C of E’s membership and attendance has been in decline for years. Perhaps something different is required?
if that's what the parishioners want... there are C of E churches where that sort of preaching Is appreciated. But IMO "something differnet" like the Bishop's preaching would only drive away people...
Old 07-21-2018, 05:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One thing I think we can all agree on and it pretty much can't be refuted is that Archbishop Curry's preaching didn't affect any of the congregation to think it was a good time for a power nap. Regardless of what thoughts ran through people's heads, they all paid attention.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Cellist Different instrument altogether.
You're correct, but whoever it was they were amazing. I had tears in my eyes; the cellist and the woman singing as Meghan walked down the aisle were the best parts.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
One thing I think we can all agree on and it pretty much can't be refuted is that Archbishop Curry's preaching didn't affect any of the congregation to think it was a good time for a power nap. Regardless of what thoughts ran through people's heads, they all paid attention.
I doubt if they were actually listening or taking much heed of the thoughts of the sermon, just irritated by the noisiness or the length of it.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
From Merriam Webster--Definition of quire-archaic spelling of choir

The Quire at St. George’s Chapel, Windsor – Royal Central

ETA-As someone else said, it was used in most of the articles written about the wedding.
since I didn't read any artices bout the wedding, I suppose it escaped me.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
Clutching each other’s hands as if they were drowning??!!! They held hands quite chastely, as most couples who like each other do when they get married.

This isn’t the 19th century.
Prince Harry's holding of Meghan's hand could symbolize that he was to be her provider. He would be in charge. He would be her support.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Prince Harry's holding of Meghan's hand could symbolize that he was to be her provider. He would be in charge. He would be her support.
Can equals not hold hands?
Old 07-21-2018, 09:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
I think they held hands because they are in love and were happy to be getting married.

The bolded part of your statement actually is very antiquated. And I would hope they support each other.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
if that's what the parishioners want... there are C of E churches where that sort of preaching Is appreciated. But IMO "something differnet" like the Bishop's preaching would only drive away people...
Yes, well, that is your opinion. But the regular preaching of the C of E seems to be driving them away...

Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-22-2018, 05:16 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Yes, well, that is your opinion. But the regular preaching of the C of E seems to be driving them away...
No, its not driving them away.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Actually, churches all over have seen declines in attendance. People just don't go to church like they used to.

"The number of people attending Church of England services each week has for the first time dropped below 1 million – accounting for less than 2% of the population – with Sunday attendances falling to 760,000."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ion-first-time
Old 07-22-2018, 05:43 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Actually, churches all over have seen declines in attendance. People just don't go to church like they used to.

"The number of people attending Church of England services each week has for the first time dropped below 1 million – accounting for less than 2% of the population – with Sunday attendances falling to 760,000."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ion-first-time
I doubt if its because of the preaching.. Personally I don't go to church for the sermon and if I found myself at a church where the style was like taht of Bishop Curry it WOULD probably drive me away
Old 07-22-2018, 05:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

OK. That makes sense. Variety, I guess, is the spice of life and there's no one size fits all when it comes to this kind of thing.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:53 AM
Majesty

Quote:
OK. That makes sense. Variety, I guess, is the spice of life and there's no one size fits all when it comes to this kind of thing.
As Im suere you know, the C of E is a broad church, and there are different wings, with different styles of service and Preaching..
Old 07-22-2018, 07:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

To be honest, I don't know that much about the Church of England except from what I've learned here. I'm not a church goer at all.

Tags
harry and meghan, meghan markle, prince harry, prince harry of wales, royal wedding, wedding, windsor, windsor castle