Harry and Meghan: Royal Wedding Miscellanea

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Clutching each other’s hands as if they were drowning??!!! They held hands quite chastely, as most couples who like each other do when they get married.

This isn’t the 19th century.

Prince Harry's holding of Meghan's hand could symbolize that he was to be her provider. He would be in charge. He would be her support.

Prince Harry's holding of Meghan's hand could symbolize that he was to be her provider. He would be in charge. He would be her support.

I think they held hands because they are in love and were happy to be getting married.

The bolded part of your statement actually is very antiquated. And I would hope they support each other.

if that's what the parishioners want... there are C of E churches where that sort of preaching Is appreciated. But IMO "something differnet" like the Bishop's preaching would only drive away people...

Yes, well, that is your opinion. But the regular preaching of the C of E seems to be driving them away...

Actually, churches all over have seen declines in attendance. People just don't go to church like they used to.

"The number of people attending Church of England services each week has for the first time dropped below 1 million – accounting for less than 2% of the population – with Sunday attendances falling to 760,000."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...and-attendance-falls-below-million-first-time

Actually, churches all over have seen declines in attendance. People just don't go to church like they used to.

"The number of people attending Church of England services each week has for the first time dropped below 1 million – accounting for less than 2% of the population – with Sunday attendances falling to 760,000."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...and-attendance-falls-below-million-first-time

I doubt if its because of the preaching.. Personally I don't go to church for the sermon and if I found myself at a church where the style was like taht of Bishop Curry it WOULD probably drive me away

OK. That makes sense. Variety, I guess, is the spice of life and there's no one size fits all when it comes to this kind of thing. :D

OK. That makes sense. Variety, I guess, is the spice of life and there's no one size fits all when it comes to this kind of thing. :D

As Im suere you know, the C of E is a broad church, and there are different wings, with different styles of service and Preaching..

To be honest, I don't know that much about the Church of England except from what I've learned here. I'm not a church goer at all. :D

Well, if they didn't think much about it, that's on them.

From the start I didn't like the idea of inviting someone that has no relation at all to the couple but apparently they were fine with it, so if they weren't as pleased afterwards (which we don't know) that shows a lack of interest/preparation on their end.

It's possible that The Reverand Curry was invited at Doria's suggestion. We really don't know how involved she was in the wedding, but Meghan is her only daughter and they seem to be quite close. I can't believe that Doria had no input.

It's possible that The Reverand Curry was invited at Doria's suggestion. We really don't know how involved she was in the wedding, but Meghan is her only daughter and they seem to be quite close. I can't believe that Doria had no input.

No, Archbishop John Welby suggested Curry. Are you still bothered by it? Move on.

Last edited:
I doubt if they were actually listening or taking much heed of the thoughts of the sermon, just irritated by the noisiness or the length of it.

I don't know if everyone was aware that the sermon was supposed to be shorter. 13 minutes is rather short compared to sermons in many other churches.

In Anglican churches the sermon length differs considerably as well. Typically the more high church (services that are most like roman catholic ones) the shorter the sermon.

Last edited:
I don't know if everyone was aware that the sermon was supposed to be shorter. 13 minutes is rather short compared to sermons in many other churches.

In Anglican churches the sermon length differs considerably as well. Typically the more high church (services that are most like roman catholic ones) the shorter the sermon.

I have heard longer sermons, even as a Catholic (I once sat through a 40 minute sermon in Poland). I just felt this one was a little rambling.

Yes I know about Anglican churches. But this was a wedding and not a normal service.. a royal televised wedding at that.. So I doubt if the congregation were expecting a long drawn out thing and from what I've understood, it was longer than expected, confusing and hard to follow.. so probably the congregation were thinking "what is he on about and when is he goig to stop?

Yes I know about Anglican churches. But this was a wedding and not a normal service.. a royal televised wedding at that.. So I doubt if the congregation were expecting a long drawn out thing and from what I've understood, it was longer than expected, confusing and hard to follow.. so probably the congregation were thinking "what is he on about and when is he goig to stop?

The royal televised wedding of king Willem-Alexander and Máxima included a sermon of about 20 minutes (Maria Teresa seemed to dose off as it was in Dutch).

13 minutes is not a long sermon. It apparently was longer than planned but that doesn't make it a long drawn out thing. It was indeed rather associative but I'm not sure that the alternative of a boring sermon (as for example the one at W&C's marriage was described by a fellow member) would have been a better alternative.

Last edited:
If anything it broadened peoples views and we were exposed to a variety of ways to worship in one event.

I have heard longer sermons, even as a Catholic (I once sat through a 40 minute sermon in Poland). I just felt this one was a little rambling.

That (the rambling) I understand. What I don't really get is the focus on it being so long when the sermon was less than 15 minutes. Even relatively short sermons in most traditional churches I attended (in many different countries and denominations) take at least 20 minutes.

This morning the sermon took at least 50 minutes; we hardly ever have ones that are shorter than your longest sermon of 40 minutes ?

And I wasn't trying to imply that all catholic sermons are short - although they tend to be shorter than protestant sermons. In the mass the focus is on the eucharist while in protestant services the sermon is the focal point. That's also why high church Anglican churches tend to have shorter sermons as holy communion is considered more important than the sermon while in low church services it is the other way around.

Last edited:
That (the rambling) I understand. What I don't really get is the focus on it being so long when the sermon was less than 15 minutes. Even relatively short sermons in most traditional churches I attended (in many different countries and denominations) take at least 20 minutes.

This morning the sermon took at least 50 minutes; we hardly ever have ones that are shorter than your longest sermon of 40 minutes ?

And I wasn't trying to imply that all catholic sermons are short - although they tend to be shorter than protestant sermons. In the mass the focus is on the eucharist while in protestant services the sermon is the focal point. That's also why high church Anglican churches tend to have shorter sermons as holy communion is considered more important than the sermon while in low church services it is the other way around.

I think the length wouldn't have mattered, if I felt the sermon was better. I don't remember the sermon at William and Catherine's wedding but it was probably not interesting but it was less noticeable because it was shorter.

The Reverend Curry was at a serious disadvantage though. The most interesting wedding sermons are personal to the bride and groom. Apparently, he didn't know them well and even if he didn't, I expect royal protocol would have prevented a more personal talk.

Regardless, at least it was entertaining to watch.

I think the length wouldn't have mattered, if I felt the sermon was better. I don't remember the sermon at William and Catherine's wedding but it was probably not interesting but it was less noticeable because it was shorter.

The Reverend Curry was at a serious disadvantage though. The most interesting wedding sermons are personal to the bride and groom. Apparently, he didn't know them well and even if he didn't, I expect royal protocol would have prevented a more personal talk.

Regardless, at least it was entertaining to watch.

I fully agree on his disadvantage. I don't think royal protocol would forbid a more personal talk. The British might not expect the same kind of personal talks that the Dutch royal weddings had (including citing from letters that the reverend asked the bridal couple to write) but some personal touches hopefully would be allowed at a marriage?!

Isn't it funny, it was cold, wet and dreary so I decided to rewatch H & M's wedding. I enjoyed the sermon so much better because I just closed my eyes and didn't watch the screen with the camera panning around everywhere and breaking my concentration. (Way too many fantastic hats and fascinators)

I have been to as many a wedding where the sermon was either long or short, boring, and tedious as hell. Sitting there listening to trite platitudes at a wedding is just plain sad whereas hearing a God-inspired sermon is uplifting,

Listening to Bishop Michael Bruce Curry preach was a privilege and his choice inspired. What a difference to those imminently forgettable homilies that drone on. I loved the sermon and I loved the passion of Rev. Curry's delivery even more. More importantly, at 13 minutes it was way shorter than the average 25-30 minute snooze fest.

An elderly Canon told me when I was very young, that a good sermon or homily is no more than 10 minutes. Any longer and they lose their concentration. I think he may be right.

Last edited:
You know what, the sermon might not have been what everyone is used to but it was memorable. Here it is, 2 months later and it is still being discussed.:flowers:

I think they held hands because they are in love and were happy to be getting married.

The bolded part of your statement actually is very antiquated. And I would hope they support each other.

Yes, Henry and Meghan are equals. However, some elderly people still believe that a man, even he be a Prince, is the provider.

You know what, the sermon might not have been what everyone is used to but it was memorable. Here it is, 2 months later and it is still being discussed.:flowers:

Because it was generally felt to be unsuitable....

It is only unsuitable for those that do not understand nor want to learn that there is very different ways of giving a sermon.....not everything is to everybody's taste and that means we take the word of a higher power with grace and dignity given by those of the church whom they serve..

I think using a word like unfamiliar instead of unsuitable would be more appropriate. I don't think the sermon was unsuitable at all.

Because it was generally felt to be unsuitable....

Unique may be a way to remember it. It is just not the sort of sermon one normally expects in a CoE ceremony.

Love that sermon or loathe it; it is now History. Can't be undone. Part of the life ballad of Meghan and Harry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom