The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 09:10 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Danbury Mint did wedding dolls for Diana, Sarah and Kate--all had actual fabric clothing.
I have Diana’s.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
The twin page boys Brian and John Mulroney held Meghan's veil. Which side of the veil did Brian hold? Which side of the veil did John hold?
From Meghan’s perspective, Brian was behind her on the left, and John on her right. Ben Mulroney talked about why Brian had the reaction that went viral.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:16 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
From Meghan’s perspective, Brian was behind her on the left, and John on her right. Ben Mulroney talked about why Brian had the reaction that went viral.
I saw that their father Ben posted a reaction to Brian's charming reaction. But what did Ben say exactly about why Brian had that reaction? I just thought he was rather overjoyed and excited by the sound of the trumpets and the whole experience in general.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
I saw that their father Ben posted a reaction to Brian's charming reaction. But what did Ben say exactly about why Brian had that reaction? I just thought he was rather overjoyed and excited by the sound of the trumpets and the whole experience in general.
He was. Ben said they were really excited and things were different from when they rehearsed, so Brian was a little amazed. They had rehearsal, but it was hard for the kids to understand the feeling of when it actually happens because the people weren't here. He said Brian said he's never heard trumpets before when he asked him about what happened.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:24 PM
Royal Highness

Bringing this post here to comment on as it was off-topic in Meghan and Harry general thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Hallelujah! Church of England turns to Harry and Meghan-style preachers

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/h...hers-sxjmdwhdw
I can understand and respect the outreach to black churches and preachers, but it's overly generous for the lasting view to be that America's Bishop Curry was completely successful. The first four minutes was good, but then he strayed into ad-libbing and over-performing. It was supposed to be a wedding address, not a sermon!

While there were many good elements and profound scripture contained in the overlong comments, Bishop Curry never connected everything together by speaking more directly and personally to Meghan and Harry. His comments about fire, travel, the stone age and Twitter were OT. He didn't have time for that drift. Despite there being a bit of a relationship between some of the scripture he cited and fire, Curry didn't adequately connect it to the event and to the moment of the royal wedding. For me, that's one reason for the restless and amused reactions by Harry's immediate family members. I had a similar reaction, which has nothing to do with not understanding 'black' culture. I am a WOC raised in an African-American culture. Part of Zara's reaction likely had to do with her pregancy and experiencing discomfort sitting. She must have wondered how long Curry was going to ramble on.

Even Harry and Meghan seemed nonplussed at various points of Curry's ramblings, although they covered their reactions well. They likely shrugged in the realization that unexpected stuff happens at weddings. It was a shame because I was anticipating the address to be uplifting. I felt the Queen's personal chaplain (a black woman) and the Coptic minister gave excellent prayer readings that should not have been overlooked due to Curry's OTT performance. I wish that the Queen's chaplain had given the wedding address. She surely knows Meghan and Harry better. Honoring her with giving the address would have been a more fitting statement. Unfortunately, Archbishop Welby's well-intentioned selection of Curry backfired, although the failure is being downplayed and ignored. But the royals never complain, never explain. They are accepting the views being promoted in the media that Curry was a success and that the reactions by onlookers was due to cultural differences.

I'm not buying that, especially not when it was Prince Charles who suggested participation by the gospel Kingdom Choir. I'm sure that Prince Charles is familiar with the stylings of black preachers in some Prostestant churches in America. IMO, if Curry had actually been cohesive and truly profound in connecting his message from scripture re fire and the 'power of love' to Meghan and Harry more personally, everyone in the church would have been nodding and saying Amen.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:32 PM
Majesty

It was nice that Brian and John Mulroney held Meghan's veil. You do not see many royal weddings where page boys hold the bride's train or veil.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessMia View Post
I have Diana’s.

I have the Franklin Mint vinyl dolls for Diana, Kate, and Princess Grace. I wish Franklin Mint still made dolls. I would get Meghan in vinyl.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

While there were many good elements and profound scripture contained in the overlong comments, Bishop Curry never connected everything together by speaking more directly and personally to Meghan and Harry. His comments about fire, travel, the stone age and Twitter were OT.
I disagree. I had to listen to it a second time but it all connected.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:
It was nice that Brian and John Mulroney held Meghan's veil. You do not see many royal weddings where page boys hold the bride's train or veil.
You are correct. However, one noticeable exception is that of Princess Elizabeth's wedding to Prince Philip. Her two pageboys wore Scottish kilts.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:27 PM
Majesty

^MARG, That is correct. Do you know the history of why Princess Elizabeth Alexandra chose pageboys instead of bridesmaids to carry her train?
Old 06-16-2018, 10:05 PM
Majesty

Truthfully I don't however, I have this theory that both her train and Meghan's were net and light to carry thus children could hold it up off the ground but not as high as if it were being held by adults. The illusion and the ability to see the workmanship is greatly increased.

But as I said, merely a theory, but Princess Elizabeth's bridesmaids were all adults.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:23 PM
Courtier

Yes, the longer net illuminated the floral embroidery which was clever.
It was an idea that was used by bride Maxima, I recently noticed, also.

The more I see Meghans dress, the more I like it's, classic but modern, shape.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:24 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I disagree. I had to listen to it a second time but it all connected.
Yep, a lot of people have differing opinions all over the place regarding Bishop Curry's overlong comments at the wedding. His fifteen minutes of fame at St. George's Chapel will certainly be memorable, but not exactly for all the best reasons. Believe me, I know how hard it is to edit oneself. I also know something about how difficult it is to prepare a good speech. I'm not a priest or a minister, so I do respect Bishop Curry's knowledge and his good intentions, but he needed to tweak a few things, IMO. I was very disappointed, as I had been looking forward to his comments. His failure did lead me to go back and check the addresses given at W&C's wedding and at D&C's wedding. Although those deliveries are not as memorable, the content and structure of both those addresses is stellar and to the point -- also it's very instructive looking back.

Bishop Curry meandered and he absolutely failed to specifically connect M&H's relationship directly to all the elements he was rambling about. Only through listening several times is it possible to connect some of the dots. And even then the connection to M&H personally is tangential and generic. What was the purpose of bringing up slavery as an example of the power of love? It's okay to do that but it was not done in a way that had direct relevance to that moment just because of Meghan's embrace of her maternal heritage. That's like the DF blaring a headline about Meghan's mother's side of the family being descended from slaves. If it's the elephant in the room and you feel the need to mention it, then please connect it personally to how that fact impacts Meghan and Harry. Stop relying on cliches, over-dramatic symbolism, rhetoric, simplistic romanticized tropes about African-American history, emotional beliefs and cultural myths. Just because Curry quoted Martin Luther King does not make him a dynamic speaker.

As I said, the first four minutes of Curry's utterances were very good and I thought he was going to build to something powerful and poignant. The part about the first time we experience falling in love was very good. That's the point when Harry and Meghan began to smile in relief. But their relief was short-lived. Curry became too repetitive, then he began ad-libbing, shouting and looking around trying to get a witness. The spirit was not actually moving in him, he was trying to move it, and some people were rightly worried he might end up knocking over one of the candles in front of him.

Bishop Curry could have done a better job if he'd shortened his remarks, directed his remarks more personally to M&H, tied the scripture together better, left out the stone age, travel, and Twitter references, toned down the prancing and dancing a little bit and stopped repeating: "If you don't believe me" Plus, he only needed to re-recite part of the Song of Solomon passage once, but he did it twice (and it had already been read by Diana's sister)! The fact that anyone has to listen to what Curry said at least three times before being able to tie some of the elements together shows that it was not effectively constructed.

I've re-listened a few times, and it's very obvious that where he went off track is about four minutes in when he said,"The power of love is not just about a young couple getting married..." Whoa, slow down Bishop Curry! This is about a young couple getting married, and their names are Meghan and Prince Harry! It's true that love is also about sacrifice and selflessness, and the love of our Lord Saviour Jesus Christ who died for our sins. But Curry IMO should have tied his thoughts together within the context of a marriage between two young people instead of over-focusing on the worldwide audience, and showing off what he knows about scripture.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:43 AM
Serene Highness

Since the fashion thread is closed for MR and so is the Family Background thread, I thought I would post this tidbit here

From Vogue About Doria's splendid outfit

Quote:
'Back in January, Laura Kim and Fernando Garcia received a call from Meghan Markle about a wedding day look for her mother Doria Ragland. “She knew she wanted a pistachio or melon look for her mom,” Garcia remembered. The house of Oscar de la Renta has surely dressed many mothers-of-the-bride over the decades, Hillary Clinton included, but royal weddings are another thing entirely. It was a huge coup for the duo, and if it hasn’t immediately resulted in a boost in sales, as Meghan’s own choices do, it has at least raised the designers’ profiles. “I got a lot of new followers,” Kim said.'
Old 07-20-2018, 08:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Don't know where else to put this; regarding the child bridesmaids and groomsmen, usually they are in some kind of pattern but at this wedding it seemed like they weren't in any formation and were just lumped together. I wonder why this was the case.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Don't know where else to put this; regarding the child bridesmaids and groomsmen, usually they are in some kind of pattern but at this wedding it seemed like they weren't in any formation and were just lumped together. I wonder why this was the case.
Because they are 10 kids between the age of 2-7. And the two oldest are charged with the veil instead of helping out with the younger kids. Jasper did the best he could. It was reported that the rehearsals were a bit chaotic and I think they just decided to let the kids be kids. But I thought they were all troopers to do what they did and help Meghan get to the alter.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:10 PM
Majesty

^In this video it shows where some of the bridesmaids walked in a horizontal row. I had not seen this at a wedding.
[url]
Old 07-20-2018, 09:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Bishop Curry meandered and he absolutely failed to specifically connect M&H's relationship directly to all the elements he was rambling about. Only through listening several times is it possible to connect some of the dots. And even then the connection to M&H personally is tangential and generic. What was the purpose of bringing up slavery as an example of the power of love? It's okay to do that but it was not done in a way that had direct relevance to that moment just because of Meghan's embrace of her maternal heritage. That's like the DF blaring a headline about Meghan's mother's side of the family being descended from slaves. If it's the elephant in the room and you feel the need to mention it, then please connect it personally to how that fact impacts Meghan and Harry. Stop relying on cliches, over-dramatic symbolism, rhetoric, simplistic romanticized tropes about African-American history, emotional beliefs and cultural myths. Just because Curry quoted Martin Luther King does not make him a dynamic speaker.

As I said, the first four minutes of Curry's utterances were very good and I thought he was going to build to something powerful and poignant. The part about the first time we experience falling in love was very good. That's the point when Harry and Meghan began to smile in relief. But their relief was short-lived. Curry became too repetitive, then he began ad-libbing, shouting and looking around trying to get a witness. The spirit was not actually moving in him, he was trying to move it, and some people were rightly worried he might end up knocking over one of the candles in front of him.

Bishop Curry could have done a better job if he'd shortened his remarks, directed his remarks more personally to M&H, tied the scripture together better, left out the stone age, travel, and Twitter references, toned down the prancing and dancing a little bit and stopped repeating: "If you don't believe me" Plus, he only needed to re-recite part of the Song of Solomon passage once, but he did it twice (and it had already been read by Diana's sister)! The fact that anyone has to listen to what Curry said at least three times before being able to tie some of the elements together shows that it was not effectively constructed.

I've re-listened a few times, and it's very obvious that where he went off track is about four minutes in when he said,"The power of love is not just about a young couple getting married..." Whoa, slow down Bishop Curry! This is about a young couple getting married, and their names are Meghan and Prince Harry! It's true that love is also about sacrifice and selflessness, and the love of our Lord Saviour Jesus Christ who died for our sins. But Curry IMO should have tied his thoughts together within the context of a marriage between two young people instead of over-focusing on the worldwide audience, and showing off what he knows about scripture.
Actually, I don't think Harry and Meghan would have a problem with that. They chose a specific scripture for him to preach. And the story there is about realizing a love that's greater than just that of two people. So I think he hit the nail in the head about the power of love and what it can do. Meghan has talked about how important and how they bonded over the desire to do good in the world. I do think that is going to be an integral part of their life together. I do think he could've shortened it, but I doubt the bride and groom cared too much.

BTW, can I just say I wanted to buy the Kingdom Choir's version of Stand by Me and found the wedding soundtrack on iTunes and it was simply terrible sound quality. I would've thought they might have bothered to contact some of those that performed at the ceremony to actually record the track. Who would want to by this?
Old 07-20-2018, 09:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
^In this video it shows where some of the bridesmaids walked in a horizontal row. I had not seen this at a wedding.
I have not seen 10 kids for a bridal party until now. I don't think that was planned, and at that point, as long as they didn't fall or step on her veil, I doubt anyone cared. It is pretty cute for one of the Litt girls to reach over to her sister. Just shows you kids have more important things they care about than walk in a perfect line.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
For two people that found each other and learned how to be totally complete because of each other yet remaining true to there own selves, its kind of fitting that the children were allowed to just "be" the children that they are and not programmed as robots to be "perfect".

Then again, being whimsical, I could imagine the children being told that when they're walking into "God's House", He'll be watching you and want you to be your very best. You'll know this when you hear the angels' trumpets!" Of course as Meghan entered the chapel, there was that wonderful fanfare of trumpets.

Tags
harry and meghan, meghan markle, prince harry, prince harry of wales, royal wedding, wedding, windsor, windsor castle