Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The point I made, even if Sophia Charlotte had black ancesters, it was 24 generations in the background. To compare her to someone like Meghan who is half black, would be a stretch. Certainly is more of a cultural impact for a prince to marry someone who is quite visibly, and undeniably, mixed.

This is a dicey area/topic to venture (and on such a fluffy board, but maybe this is exactly the 'gift' that Meghan brings). I'm not sure you 'got' what MaiaMia was saying, given your response here. It's late at night which may be why I am foolhardy enough to venture into these deep waters. :ermm:

The overarching point is that 'race' as we are using the term in our current times, dates back to the 1500's/1600's (and not before). 'Race' as in denoting skin color at that time (1600's/1700's) became a convenient 'marker' to identify a (purposely designated) subordinate class of human beings separated out for economic reasons (slaves). Slavery prior to the 1600's was not based on skin color, but on warfare. The condition of slavery was a mutable condition not based on color but based on the economics of power.

Prior to the 1600's everyone was 'mixed', using your phrase. It was more issues of tribal identities/religious beliefs/cultural allegiances, not skin color. Every advanced ancient culture was swarthy, in fact. The pale tribes in the north were pretty wild, and when they finally started descending into the narrow belt of what we would term advanced peoples, all those advanced peoples were 'of color'. Everybody was 'mixing', it would not have been an issue as to skin color (what we are calling 'race') but of culture/tribe and then later religion.

Meghan is actually not "someone who is quite visibly, and undeniably, mixed". I would suggest that you only identify her as such based on current biases and your knowledge of her parentage. Meghan is actually the norm. She is what we all are. There is nothing such as 'pure white'. Doesn't exist. Never has, unless one wants to claim a pure line of descent from the wild tribes of the north 2 thousand years ago, but even they came out of the 'swarthy' south (India). Skin color has to do with melanin, geographic location, nothing else.

Our current world's focus on 'race' is distinctly a recent (modern) focus (developed over the last 400 years) emerging out of the 1500/1600 transition into our 'modern' age and economic shift from feudalism to a 'free' economy (that needed a new way of controlling cheap labor).

Just some thoughts, because this 'race thing' is going to keep popping up, and likely needs to be faced. JMO.

Last edited:
IMO Harry and Meghan have opted to take a few days to quietly celebrate Thanksgiving Day, the end of what must have been a stress-filled and painful end to seven years of hard work with people Meghan has grown to like. And then shifting from her home of seven years and moving to another planet across the Atlantic. Yes folks, if the media is anything to go by this last week, it really is another planet.

I would imagine Meghan's needs would have been peace, love and understanding. For he to mourn the passing of the life she worked so hard to create and to contemplate the very difficult months that lay ahead. I can only hope they didn't bother with the news . . . but then Wills probably texted Harry to ask if the "Elvis Impersonator" was any good! :D

As I've been saying all along Meghan who is American would not announce an engagement on a major national US holiday. Also after just wrapping up on Suits & packing up her things she is probably in need of a break. H&M have not been seen since last Tuesday & my guess is that they're having a mini vacation together.

All this crap about Downing Street clearing their schedule & staff meetings being called at BP to discuss an impending engagement of the 5th in line to the throne is pure fiction & so far fetched. The media are in pure fantasy land!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a dicey area/topic to venture (and on such a fluffy board, but maybe this is exactly the 'gift' that Meghan brings). I'm not sure you 'got' what MaiaMia was saying, given your response here. It's late at night which may be why I am foolhardy enough to venture into these deep waters. :ermm:

The overarching point is that 'race' as we are using the term in our current times, dates back to the 1500's/1600's (and not before). 'Race' as in denoting skin color at that time (1600's/1700's) became a convenient 'marker' to identify a (purposely designated) subordinate class of human beings separated out for economic reasons (slaves). Slavery prior to the 1600's was not based on skin color, but on warfare. The condition of slavery was a mutable condition not based on color but based on the economics of power.

Prior to the 1600's everyone was 'mixed', using your phrase. It was more issues of tribal identities/religious beliefs/cultural allegiances, not skin color. Every advanced ancient culture was swarthy, in fact. The pale tribes in the north were pretty wild, and when they finally started descending into the narrow belt of what we would term advanced peoples, all those advanced peoples were 'of color'. Everybody was 'mixing', it would not have been an issue as to skin color (what we are calling 'race') but of culture/tribe and then later religion.

Meghan is actually not "someone who is quite visibly, and undeniably, mixed". I would suggest that you only identify her as such based on current biases and your knowledge of her parentage. Meghan is actually the norm. She is what we all are. There is nothing such as 'pure white'. Doesn't exist. Never has, unless one wants to claim a pure line of descent from the wild tribes of the north 2 thousand years ago, but even they came out of the 'swarthy' south (India). Skin color has to do with melanin, geographic location, nothing else.

Our current world's focus on 'race' is distinctly a recent (modern) focus (developed over the last 400 years) emerging out of the 1500/1600 transition into our 'modern' age and economic shift from feudalism to a 'free' economy (that needed a new way of controlling cheap labor).

Just some thoughts, because this 'race thing' is going to keep popping up, and likely needs to be faced. JMO.

No I am not actually missing her point or yours :ermm:

I am not having a discussion about the 'construct of race'. Or how pure anyone's origins are. Or the histographical charts of where we all came from. I could, but I wont. Because we are not in a classroom. We are not in a lecture or debate on anthropology and its role.

We are talking about current events. We are talking about a royal couple and the perception of society. And the perception of society is based on what they can see, what is tangible. If your parents were German, your grandparents were German, your tree as far back as you knew was German. If you found out that 40 generations ago, one ancestor was Greek, would you consider yourself 1/2 greek??? Would you even consider yourself Greek? You may mention you have a remote Greek connection, but majority of people would consider themselves German.

The perception of royalty in Europe is they are white. That they are cut from the same cloth. That Kate being a commoner was a shocking choice to some. For Harry to choose someone who is visibly black, by that I mean there is clear proof in that her mother is black, is a big change. She isn't the cookie cutter royal bride that many have come to expect. That some historian believes some queen hundreds of years ago had a very distant black ancestor, is not remotely the same impact as a current now a day possible future bride with a mixed race.

I am talking Social Perception, how the media and public view it. And yes, when you have a black mother and a white father, for the public, you are obviously mixed.

I'm at the point where I believe anything could happen. And honestly I'm cool with Meghan and Harry doing whatever works for them and their families. However, the bolded is something I really hope doesn't happen. I think it sends a bad message. It would look like and be spun like their relationship and marriage was something to hide or keep under the radar. I don't think it would help Meghan get off on the right foot with the British public. There are already those dead set against her no matter what. She won't win those over. But there are those willing to give her a chance I believe (naively?) and a secret wedding won't help that.

If they want to have a small, family wedding, maybe even not televised (though I really want to see it), and just release official photos, if that is truly their hearts desire and everyone signs off on it, then they should do that. But at the very least it needs to be announced in advance, so it is seen as a happy, joyful occasion that the family accepts. Anyway, that's just my take on on it.

A small, private wedding would only happen IMHO if it were an unconsented marriage, which is a very unlikely scenario (either there will be a consented marriage or no marriage at all).

Furthermore, when Meghan becomes an HRH, she will have to give up her former life and be a full-time working royal. The only way she and Harry can set a different path for their lives, which is sometimes rumored to be what she wants to do, is if Harry gives up his place in the line of succession and withdraws from the "Firm".

This is true, but my understanding is that a divorced person whose ex-spouse is dead can marry in the church by right, unlike a divorced person whose ex-spouse is still alive.

I think the church allowed remarriage after divorce in 2005 as well, but the circumstances of the relationship were problematic under the guidelines they use. (Whereas Harry and Meghan didn't even know each other at the time of her divorce.)

That is obviously what I meant. Even the Catholic Church has no objection to remarrying a divorced man if his first wife is no longer alive. From the church's point of view, he is a widower.

Absolutely agree :flowers:

I don't see any reason to believe Meghan would only have one row of people and feel uncomfortable as she has no support there. Of course as a royal, with many expected guests, Harry may have a fuller side. But that would happen with any person who married a royal.

True.
Let's face it, as long as Harry is a working member of the RF, he can't really have a private wedding. Not without a huge outcry!
There will be Government officials, entertainers, representatives of charities, etc. All people who expect acknowledgment for their efforts.

They really won't have any trouble filling the Abbey! (Or any other venue).

No, Harry will have no trouble filling chapels and abbey’s for his wedding. Although Windsor or Westminster would likely be the place.

Harry and future wife will play a major part in helping shape the future of the monarchy. Which is why the ideas of his future wife continuing to work an outside job while married in a senior position is beyond ridiculous.

Just as the Earl and Countess of Wessex how all that worked out.

Good. :flowers: I don't really want unconventional and hidden away. I want all the bells-and-whistles of a pageant. The fun of it! And with a bride well suited to be fully capable of handling the 'big part'.

I want all the bells and whistles too. It may not be on as large a scale as W & K, but I hope it will be at least on the scale of Edward's and Sophie's. I tend to think it is going to be larger than E & S partly due to the huge public interest. I am not saying that the Royal Family makes their decisions based on the public, but I do think they consider it a little more than they used to. I think the media are just grasping at straws at this point. i could be too :D One report says they are getting married at St. Paul's and another says the wedding will be unconventional. The media are clueless.

According to The Times, royal sources say an engagement isn’t coming ‘anytime soon’.

The Times is a serious newspaper which leads me to believe an announcement isn’t coming until the New Year.

Exactly! Well said, and absolutely true! The scientific and biological evidence has always existed, but the myths prevail. Now, in this age of irrefutable advances in DNA technology and increasing uncoveries made via exhaustive historical and anthropological research, many pieces to the puzzle of our planet, of our existence, and of who we are have been coming to light. Unfortunately, many people will obviously continue to keep their heads buried in the sand.

Downing Street denies the Prime Minister was ready for an announcement

The bookmaker Ladbrokes stopped taking bets on the engagement last week and Sunday saw press reports that Theresa May had “cleared her diary” on Thursday in expectation of an announcement. This was emphatically denied by Downing Street, which pointed out that less than 24 hours after the budget, the prime minister had other priorities, such as spending half a day in Leeds with the chancellor, Philip Hammond, to promote the government’s house-building policies.
https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news...ghan-markle-engagement-rumours-at-fever-pitch

IMO all this is based on the fact Meghan moved to the UK, we don't even know if that is true for sure. I don't see how anyone would move to a new country and then in a few days announce their engagement to a Prince. Even Harry and Meghan would most likely want to give themselves some time to live together see how they get on being together 'full time' rather than jetting back and forth. Likewise it will give Meghan time to get to know the UK better, her possible future in laws better and find her feet.

Personally I'd say we'll be lucky to have an engagement before the summer.

Although some of the discussion has been contentious, to say the least, I've actually found them to be interesting and informative. Thank you to the folks that took the time to point out different and various aspects of how a person's ancestral makeup can be determined and classified and the hows and the whys of it. Definitely a better discussion that some of our royal reporters seem to be having on social media these days. :D

It shows me that when it comes to Harry and Meghan, we leave absolutely no stone unturned or looked at and thoroughly examined. That's what makes this place the best and favorite place for me to be as we wait and watch for the much anticipated engagement announcement.

I am more and more inclining to believe that after a hectic filming session and probably an emotional one for Meghan after being a part of something for seven years, then jumping right in and possibly (we're not absolutely positive) moving lock, stock and barrel to the UK, she probably very much welcomed and needed some down time. After an intensive, long distance relationship back and forth over the past year (at least), who would blame Harry and Meghan for just going off somewhere on their own, to just be. Be together. Be one. Be the couple that they want to be. To me, that's a good start towards a permanent partnership in marriage.

Once the announcement is made that they're engaged, their time will no longer be their own and everyone and their grandmothers will want a piece of them for themselves. Can we really blame Harry and Meghan for wanting to hold and savor what has become the most important thing in their lives right now? I sure don't.

I'm ready for a royal wedding but that doesn't mean that they are quite ready for it all yet. :D

Why do anyone think the PM needs to clear her diary for an announcement? From what I remember, PM Cameron didn’t clear his diary for the Cambridge’s announcement. He made his statements and got on with his business of the day.

It takes a good minute to arrange an engagement announcement. The wardrobe, photographer, Palace Press team media arrangement, and the broadcast of the televised interview.

Let the couple and Palace do what they have to do to get all this going.

Why do anyone think the PM needs to clear her diary for an announcement? From what I remember, PM Cameron didn’t clear his diary for the Cambridge’s announcement. He made his statements and got on with his business of the day.

It takes a good minute to arrange an engagement announcement. The wardrobe, photographer, Palace Press team media arrangement, and the broadcast of the televised interview.

Let the couple and Palace do what they have to do to get all this going.

Not to mention people kept talking about meetings and announcements at Buckingham Palace, and no announcement about Harry would be coming from Buckingham Palace. The announcement about his engagement would actually come from Clarence House, because it is Prince Charles, as his father, who would be announcing it. Why would The Queen be there? There are just so many things that made no sense about those stories Thursday and Friday and over the weekend.

You are absolutely correct Alliec76. When we take a stroll down memory lane and read the official statement that was made on November 16, 2010 for William and Kate, we get a good idea of the wording. Just have to change the names of the bridal couple. :D

"The Prince of Wales is delighted to announce the engagement of Prince William to Miss Catherine Middleton," read a brief statement from Clarence House, Prince Charles' official residence. "The wedding will take place in the Spring or Summer of 2011, in London. Further details about the wedding day will be announced in due course."

U.K. Announces Engagement of Prince William to Kate Middleton - TIME

It will definitely be Charles making the official announcement.

Appreciate all the feedback and information. It's true: I didn't follow Meghan till she had been dating Prince Harry for awhile. Because of what seemed to be so many shared interests, I hoped this relationship would be the one that went the distance. And it seems like it is. A royal watcher mentioned in the Daily Mail a week or so ago he thought this wedding would be a "one off," very unique and special and unlike previous royal weddings. For that reason, it's fun to speculate on what will happen with the engagement, ring, wedding, where they'll eventually live,....etc. The one thing I want to emphasize b/c I think it's getting lost in my unintended but ignorant/uninformed comments is that I am VERY happy for Harry and Meghan and think this marriage is a true love match of kindred spirits. I remember the little boy following his mother's coffin, looking so dispirited and sad--and I just always hoped things would turn out well for him! I'm thrilled for both!

Yeah, that's a good catch that Meghan going to salons and shopping has something to do with preparing for a big event sooner rather than later. ? The woman who was walking directly beside Meghan in the recent DF photos has been identified as Sarah Chapman, facialist and owner of the salon Meghan visited. Unless perhaps you are referencing a different woman in the background of the photos?

Based on some of your other comments, addressed by other posters, you seem to have come to following Meghan and Harry rather late. Or else, you haven't been reading up very much on Meghan. There is still plenty of information on her Instagram, articles about her and articles she's written, as well as many Youtube features, particularly her U.N. speech, her solo interview with Larry King in early 2016, her visit to Rwanda with One World Vision, lots of fashion and beauty clips, and Suits-related interviews and promos, etc.

I've read about what you are saying re Diana's ring and the Cartier watch, and the two brothers' agreement that whoever married first would give their fiancee the ring. I recently read another article which mentioned that Harry has given Meghan the Cartier watch that belonged to his mother (and the Cartier brand and model is one of Meghan's favorites).

It's really hard keeping up with the posts in here now. I can only imagine what it will be like when the engagement day arrives. Forget about the wedding. Websites will crash. Hearts will flutter. Eyes will tear up. :heart1:

We're almost at page 200, @M_Payton! :D

^^ You are very welcome @maryshawn. And thanks for your honesty and genuine openness. There is nothing wrong with coming to the Meghan/Harry conversation only recently. You should have a fun and enlightening time perusing Meghan's Instagram that's still available, and looking at all the informative Youtube videos about her (interviews, promotional features), while hopefully filtering out the ridiculous tabloid chaff. ? I hope all people of goodwill can soon share in a most happy and resoundingly lovely landmark marriage celebration that again to me portends of all good things: love, blessings, redemption, family togetherness, and positive hopes for the future!

I am more and more inclining to believe that after a hectic filming session and probably an emotional one for Meghan after being a part of something for seven years, then jumping right in and possibly (we're not absolutely positive) moving lock, stock and barrel to the UK, she probably very much welcomed and needed some down time. After an intensive, long distance relationship back and forth over the past year (at least), who would blame Harry and Meghan for just going off somewhere on their own, to just be. Be together. Be one. Be the couple that they want to be. To me, that's a good start towards a permanent partnership in marriage.

Once the announcement is made that they're engaged, their time will no longer be their own and everyone and their grandmothers will want a piece of them for themselves. Can we really blame Harry and Meghan for wanting to hold and savor what has become the most important thing in their lives right now? I sure don't.

I'm ready for a royal wedding but that doesn't mean that they are quite ready for it all yet. :D

Exactly, and thank you for articulating your thoughts so beautifully, as usual. :flowers:

Last edited:
You are absolutely correct Alliec76. When we take a stroll down memory lane and read the official statement that was made on November 16, 2010 for William and Kate, we get a good idea of the wording. Just have to change the names of the bridal couple. :D

"The Prince of Wales is delighted to announce the engagement of Prince William to Miss Catherine Middleton," read a brief statement from Clarence House, Prince Charles' official residence. "The wedding will take place in the Spring or Summer of 2011, in London. Further details about the wedding day will be announced in due course."

U.K. Announces Engagement of Prince William to Kate Middleton - TIME

It will definitely be Charles making the official announcement.

One of those lovely old wedding customs continued. :flowers:

Though I believe traditionally it was the bride's family who would make the announcement not the groom's. But then again, because custom usually was that the bride's family hosted and paid for set wedding. Normally why the wedding by custom was held at the bride's home church.

Considering the royal wedding will be paid for primarily by the RF, it is Charles who can be considered 'hosting' though his parents will pay as well.

Other then the media call, I am sure Charles' staff is enough of a well oiled machine, that a lot of the behind the scenes work will be done without leak.

Another thing to keep in mind. When that announcement came from Charles and Clarence House, Charles was actually doing an engagement somewhere and when asked how he felt about the engagment, that's when he quipped "they've been practicing long enough". :D

Shows that things are done and prepared ahead of time to be at the ready for when needed.

Another thing to keep in mind. When that announcement came from Charles and Clarence House, Charles was actually doing an engagement somewhere and when asked how he felt about the engagment, that's when he quipped "they've been practicing long enough". :D

Shows that things are done and prepared ahead of time to be at the ready for when needed.

Indeed. :flowers: The only one whose schedule needs to be clear for the announcement is the couple. Well and a photographer, if doing engagement shoot same day. Media will happily clear schedule for it.

I love the comment from Prince Charles. Shows his good natured humor. :D

This thread has been cleaned up with the removal of a number of posts that were off-topic, speculative,
argumentative, posts that add nothing meaningful to the discussion and subsequent responses.

Please private message other members if you wish to share details of your social media interests.

If you wish to debate with another member, please have the courtesy (towards each other and other members) of being respectful towards one another if you disagree.

Let's try to avoid debating what the media/reporters are saying or how they are saying it as it is peripharel to the topic of the thread.

Finally, let's get a sense of proportion and remember that IF an engagement is announced, it will be a complete surprise to everyone including the media - there is no way of telling if and when such an announcement will be made.

Last edited:
I just want to wade into the waters here about one thing: no matter the historical construct of race (and it is indeed a social construct) or the fact that we are all "one race", the present reality is that racism impacts the daily realities of people of color in very painful and visceral ways. Meghan, as a biracial black woman, has talked passionately about how racism has impacted her and her family. Her partner, Harry, had to release a statement condemning the racist coverage of Meghan, and comments all over the internet (and some I even heard in person while in the UK recently) show that her race will be an issue for a not insignificant amount of people no matter how much they protest that fact. So much of the "something isn't right about her" or the ridiculous double standards or critiques of her IMO come down to the unconscience racism that permeates both the United States and the UK.

As a black/biracial woman myself, it is monumental that a woman of color will be joining the BRF, the most visible representation of the UK to the world and one of the most prominent family's in the world. Race is a big deal; the US is arguably built on a racial democracy and the UK is still haunted by its colonial past and racial history as well. Meghan will face a triple slam of being foreign, a person of color and an older outspoken woman in a time when nationalism and anti-foreign/anti-POC sentiment is high in the West.

To ignore this aspect of her relationship and position, if she were to be married into the BRF, does a disservice to her own experiences and the experiences of people of color overall. We have come a long way, but there is still massive progress to be made. I see Meghan possibly joining The Firm as a positive move, the BRF representing the burgeoning diversity of the nation at long last.

Now, all of this engagement speculation is so all over the place, its dizzying. I personally think they are already engaged, but are just getting some ducks in order. I do not for one second believe Tominey's reporting about an engagement postponement. Why would KP do that? It only lengthens the media frenzy, plus it never made sense to announce it on Thanksgiving given Meghan's nation of origin and also the fact that the BRF still thrives on foreign media coverage as much as the UK and the US is a massive media market so why announce on a day that most outlets would be slow to respond?? Further, there is no way they would have everything lined up to go and then waste broadcaster time and money by pulling it at the last minute.

I hope Meghan is getting the proper time she needs to settle in a take a very deep breath. I expect that this past year has been quite the experience for her. Even though she is an actress, she never had this much scrutiny and attention and it would be discombobulating for anyone! I hope Harry is as a supportive a partner as I perceive him to be!

Last edited:
Personally I am now leaning toward them keeping a very low profile the rest of the year. Taking a trip after Christmas (perhaps Norway again) and then coming back and making an announcement after the first of the year.

Still gives them months to plan out a summer wedding.

Of course they could announce tomorrow too. We aren't gonna know till we know.

LaRae

Personally I am now leaning toward them keeping a very low profile the rest of the year. Taking a trip after Christmas (perhaps Norway again) and then coming back and making an announcement after the first of the year.

Still gives them months to plan out a summer wedding.

Of course they could announce tomorrow too. We aren't gonna know till we know.

LaRae

I agree with you.

I do think they're already engaged, though, and the visa application has been a fiancé one.

I am still on the, he hasn't proposed yet. I have never bought in to the he proposed in Africa and they have been hiding it for months thing. I could be wrong and about to be proven wrong on Tuesday by all reports, who knows.

I just always had the feeling they weren't just waiting until she was in the UK to make the announcement. But waiting till she was there, to take the next step. I don't see them proposing and living apart, not telling everyone. I still think a romantic proposal on a vacation on the anniversary of their first.

Well I will eat my words if wrong and we get announcement on Tuesday. :D

My wishes for this relationship/wedding:
-January engagement announcement (it’s a slow royal month)
-May/June wedding (I hate long royal engagements)
-diamond engagement ring, tiara not worn in decades
-wedding at Windsor (I’d love Scotland, but doubt it would happen)
-baby in 2019

But, realistically, I don’t care about the details as long as we get a televised ceremony and a couple of kids down the road. It’s basically what I wish with every royal wedding.

I agree with you.

I do think they're already engaged, though, and the visa application has been a fiancé one.

I lean toward that they have an understanding (like W&K did) that they will marry within a certain time frame. I am not sure that he has formally proposed. I think if he hasn't he will soon.

I'm actually surprised the details of her visa (maybe she doesn't have one yet..she doesn't have to get one till she's been in the country X days IIRC) haven't been leaked.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom