Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
KP will need to get a grip on the situation. It is turning into a farce when seasoned journalists are arguing over facts, and sources from the palace & Downing Street contradicting each other.

If an engagement is imminent then the palace needs to announce it pronto to stop the ridiculous reporting. And if there isn't going to be one soon then they should find a way to kill the story.

Royal engagements should be run like a tight ship, but the last few days just reeks of incompetence.

KP doesn't have to do a darned thing. When a circus comes to town, the mayor and the archbishop of the church don't dress up as clowns and join in. The media has been acting like a three ring circus with different things happening in all three rings. Its their making and KP has no responsibility to "clean up" after the elephants in the show.

They'd all be wise to go home, kick off their shoes, pour a gin and tonic and just wait for the phone to ring summoning them to KP for announcement. It'll happen in Harry and Meghan's and their office staff's own sweet time. Maybe watch a few episodes of the Three Stooges. Might remind them of how they've been acting lately. ;)

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...y-engagement-royal-wedding-Kate-Middleton/amp

If this article by Tominey has any truth, then reportedly M&H are not going to wait until the summer to wed! If that's the case, then they are interested in limiting the run-up time to an actual ceremony, as I had suggested earlier.

Most interested parties have been speculating an announcement before Christmas, or in January or February, with a wedding no sooner than May. If indeed Harkle wishes to not waste anymore time and they want the wedding to happen before new baby Cambridge arrives, then perhaps we are looking at late February or early March.

... the last few days just reeks of incompetence.

The 'incompetence' and unprofessionalism is on the part of the media, not the palace, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Express article contains so many inaccuracies. It reads like it was hastily put together by a journalist who was in a rush to meet the deadline.

Why would Meghan apply for a pet passport 6 months in advance, when it literally takes just a couple of days to get a pet passport.

Also regarding her supposed RPO, the daily fail had the exclusives of Meghan shopping this week. They would not have missed the opportunity to publish pictures of her RPO if she had one. There is nothing the fail would love more than to suggest tax payers money are somehow being improperly used!

Last edited:
I think the reasons for the Harry/Meghan announcement frenzy is history is about to be made. Although Harry is fifth soon to be sixth in line to the throne, he would be marrying an American woman who would not cause a constitutional crisis (despite some comments from the DM). Meghan would be the first woman of color to marry into the BRF, to someone so close to the throne it requires the sovereign's permission. The US/UK special relationship would be addressed. Meghan's perception of her role especially through the eyes of a biracial woman.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...y-engagement-royal-wedding-Kate-Middleton/amp

If this article by Tominey has any truth, then reportedly M&H are not going to wait until the summer to wed! If that's the case, then they are interested in limiting the run-up time to an actual ceremony, as I had suggested earlier.

Most interested parties have been speculating an announcement before Christmas, or in January or February, with a wedding no sooner than May. If indeed Harkle wishes to not waste anymore time and they want the wedding to happen before new baby Cambridge arrives, then perhaps we are looking at late February or early March.

And late February or early March means a smaller low key wedding not a big one as the churches generally do not permit festive decor during Lent. The Archbishop of Canterbury might not be comfortable with a wedding at Westminster Abbey during Lent. Lent runs from February 14 to March 31 in 2018.

"Lent, the 40 days which lead up to Easter Day, is another special time when churches are remembering the temptation of Jesus in the desert. It is a time of reflection and self-restraint, so churches may take down decorations and possibly reduce the number of weddings they do during this time."

"Can an Anglican Marriage take place during Lent or Advent?
Ministers will often refuse marriages during Lent (the period leading up to Easter Sunday where traditionally Christians abstain) and Advent (the twenty four day period leading up to Christmas Day – hence the phrase ‘Advent Calendar’). However, not all Church Minister's will share this view, so it is important to get in touch with them early if this is your preference."

Maybe a small private wedding is the where the "non-traditional" wedding reference comes from. Otherwise, my bets are on May.

Last edited:
I'm Banking on Tuesday

I really think the engagement announcement of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will take place this coming Tuesday morning. For some reason, Tuesdays are popular with the British Royals when it comes to news like this. Prince William and Kate Middleton announced their engagement on a Tuesday and on this coming Tuesday the PM already has a scheduled meeting with her cabinet so perfect timing when it comes to informing the government.

I immediately thought sooner rather than later b/c, for the first time, Meghan hopped a plane to London rather than heading to L.A. to spend Thanksgiving with her beloved mom. Also, the photographers keep catching her coming and going out of salons, spas, upscale clothing stores, etc which is what you'd want to do to look your very best for the big photo op that comes with announcing your plans to marry a Prince of the British royal family. (Anyone else notice a woman at Meghan's side who seemed to be watching her and carrying a gun underneath her blazer so Royal Protection Officer perhaps?).

I'm curious about the ring. I think it was very kind of Harry to give Princess Diana's iconic sapphire engagement ring to William for Catherine. Harry had, after all, chosen his mom's ring as his personal memento from her estate while William chose her Cartier tank watch. I think Harry, too, will want to "include Diana" as much as he possibly can just as William did so I believe he'll have a ring made from gemstones from one of his mum's favorite pieces of jewelry. Diana had a splendid suite of sapphires but IDK if Harry will want Meghan to have a ring that'll be forever compared to the one Catherine now wears. I think he'll probably go with an emerald from Diana's favorite necklace (the one she wore as a headband in Australia).

We'll just have to wait and see....but I'm excited for them as they seem so in love and share so many interests! And, God willing, Prince Harry will be able to introduce his children to his grandparents; he said a year ago he'd love to have Prince Phillip and the Queen at his wedding and seeing him settle down with a family of his own. With his grandparents' advanced ages and Meghan now 36, I think time IS a big factor in how this engagement and subsequent wedding progresses. As they won't have anything nearly as large as William and Kate, an intimate family only wedding in a palace chapel sometime just after Christmas wouldn't surprise me.

I've thought ever since the Vanity Fair article that we'd get an engagement announcement shortly after Meghan finished filming season 7 of Suits. So I'm not too surprised Meghan came directly to London. (Her mom may be in London as well.)

I'm still holding onto May for the wedding.

These half reports are only whetting our appetites further. I can taste the delightful wedding cake. But first things first, of course.

How many of you think Harkle are planning something 'non-traditional' (whatever that means) on Valentine's Day? Will Harry wear his military uniform, or something more comfortable?

The comments earlier about this intense interest for Harry's engagement being due to his popularity as a royal. I would say yes. But it's also about who Meghan is (her beauty, her background, and her solid, self-made success). Harry is over the moon because he knows he 'hit the jackpot,' in finding Meghan. She's beautiful as well as articulate, stylish, down-to-earth, fun-loving, classy, a foodie, a dog lover, interested in giving back to others, well-spoken, smart and therefore a quick learner of royal protocol, used to cameras and the spotlight, unfazed by who Harry is. And, on top it, unfazed by what comes with marrying him (the good and the bad).

As someone mentioned earlier, they each have human failings. But when you meet someone special (whom Harry has been seeking for awhile) and actually hit it off in a big way, then you are willing to 'fess up to each other, about your flaws and your fears. I'm sure they have both done that, and in return have received positive encouragement and understanding from each other. Their relationship apparently took off when Harry made it clear to Meghan in mid-July 2016 that he was serious about wanting the opportunity to get to know her. He has previously said that's what he would want should he meet someone special. He surely told Meghan that he would move heaven and earth to protect the privacy of their relationship as long as he possibly could, in order to give them the opportunity to find solid ground together, well out of the glare of publicity. Harry was prepared to make that happen after two of his previous relationships broke up due to the OTT media glare. Meghan was game, and she was surely flattered and impressed as well by Harry's passionate intensity and devotion. It doesn't hurt that Harry's a Prince on one hand, but he could have been a rugby player and the two of them would still have hit it off. His being a Prince on the other hand, is actually adding a lot more stresses to overcome than would exist in most normal relationships.

Later on, H&M must have released some of the tidbits we kept hearing about them feeling comfortable together from the beginning, and about how much they have in common, and how truly happy they are together. What amazes me is the fact they supposedly share a 15th-century ancestor via Meghan's paternal side and Harry's paternal side through great-grandmother Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon. And even more astounding, the ancestor they share was a courtier to King Henry VIII who had him executed. Henry VIII killed so many of his friends and close intimates. His infamous legacy sent a curse down through the ages of the British monarchy. Therefore, it's quite fascinating that another Henry (who will of course, not become King) but who is a popular member of the royal family, has made a connection with someone who not only shares this ancient ancestor with ties to Henry VIII, but she's also someone who makes our modern day Henry extremely happy. Royal family strife and tragedies of the past seem somehow redeemed and come full circle in a new millennium, with the impending marriage of Meghan Rachel Markle and Prince Henry of Wales.

Not to mention how very pleasant and endearing, and what a relief it has been to contemplate this happy love story between two charming young people in the age of Trump, sex scandals and social-political chaos around the world.

Last edited:
I've thought ever since the Vanity Fair article that we'd get an engagement announcement shortly after Meghan finished filming season 7 of Suits. So I'm not too surprised Meghan came directly to London. (Her mom may be in London as well.)

I was thinking that, too. :flowers:

I'm at the point where I believe anything could happen. And honestly I'm cool with Meghan and Harry doing whatever works for them and their families. However, the bolded is something I really hope doesn't happen. I think it sends a bad message. It would look like and be spun like their relationship and marriage was something to hide or keep under the radar. I don't think it would help Meghan get off on the right foot with the British public. There are already those dead set against her no matter what. She won't win those over. But there are those willing to give her a chance I believe (naively?) and a secret wedding won't help that.

If they want to have a small, family wedding, maybe even not televised (though I really want to see it), and just release official photos, if that is truly their hearts desire and everyone signs off on it, then they should do that. But at the very least it needs to be announced in advance, so it is seen as a happy, joyful occasion that the family accepts. Anyway, that's just my take on on it.

The chief reason I'm inclined to think this will be an understated ceremony is b/c Meghan is a divorcee and, with the exception of her mother, her family seems less than supportive. Her father is somewhere in Mexico I read and is a bit of a hermit who told a reporter he'd "always walk his daughter down the aisle" but would "prefer not to be part of a circus." And then there's the nightmare of a sister who claims to be writing a book about Meghan with the phrase "Princess Pushy" in the title.

Last week, she told the "Daily Mail" she "hoped for an invitation but would be happy either way...." Huh? A year ago she was threatening to reveal deep dark secrets and the book is still in the works but she thinks an invitation "would be nice; a good way to heal." Prince Harry certainly has plenty of family and friends to invite but Meghan has a small, fractured family and, in part b/c of her non-stop work as an actress and humanitarian, she has few truly close friends. I mean, she left her friends in the U.S. to live in Toronto for the last seven years I believe. Beyond the cast of "Suits," how many friends did she make there? And who does she really know in London to invite? She's a self-described "quiet, private person." I think she's lovely and Harry's soulmate. Just consider the logistics.

A big gathering with lots of his friends and family and a just a few people there for Meghan would be uncomfortable. A small, very private wedding solves a host of issues. And Harry, for all his charm and bravado and ease with the media when it comes to promoting causes he supports, guards his private life well. Remember how he castigated the reporters and photographers for following Meghan and taking photos of her home and places she frequents? This whole thought process of mine is something I'm articulating in a clumsy manner but I hope someone gets the gist and can possibly address it far better than I am.

How many of you think [Harry & Meghan] are planning something 'non-traditional' (whatever that means) on Valentine's Day? Will Harry wear his military uniform, or something more comfortable?

His being a Prince on the other hand, is actually adding a lot more stresses to overcome than would exist in most normal relationships.

Civil wedding only if on Valentine's Day because of Ash Wednesday on Feb 14, 2018. So no, I wouldn't expect that to be the date but it would be non traditional. I don't think any Anglican priest would perform a wedding on Ash Wednesday or Good Friday (March 30 next year.)

Totally agree, the Prince aspect creates complications beyond normal.

Last edited:
I think the reasons for the Harry/Meghan announcement frenzy is history is about to be made. Although Harry is fifth soon to be sixth in line to the throne, he would be marrying an American woman who would not cause a constitutional crisis (despite some comments from the DM). Meghan would be the first woman of color to marry into the BRF, to someone so close to the throne it requires the sovereign's permission. The US/UK special relationship would be addressed. Meghan's perception of her role especially through the eyes of a biracial woman.

Very true in the modern sense of our grasp of knowledge, except for the factual evidence that Queen (Sophia) Charlotte (of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, b.1744 d.1818), who was married to King George III of Britain, exhibited visible physical features attesting to her Portuguese-African ancestry via her mother's heritage. Factual evidence exists going back to Alfonso III of Portugal and his African mistress, Madragana:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/secret/famous/royalfamily.html
http://www.englishmonarchs.co.uk/hanover_14.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afonso_III_of_Portugal

The connection to current royals is via Prince Edward, Duke of Kent & Strathearn, who was the father of Queen Victoria, and the fourth son (fifth child) of Great Britain's King George III and his wife, Queen (Sophia) Charlotte.

It would be great if this well known, but kept hidden fact about Queen Sophia Charlotte's African ancestry would be brought out and fully acknowledged, especially in light of Meghan's African ancestry. As well, Meghan's fascinating genealogical connection to Prince Harry via their 15th-century ancestor who was a courtier to King Henry VIII is also cause for shedding more light on obscure historical connections.

Last edited:
The chief reason I'm inclined to think this will be an understated ceremony is b/c Meghan is a divorcee and, with the exception of her mother, her family seems less than supportive. Her father is somewhere in Mexico I read and is a bit of a hermit who told a reporter he'd "always walk his daughter down the aisle" but would "prefer not to be part of a circus." And then there's the nightmare of a sister who claims to be writing a book about Meghan with the phrase "Princess Pushy" in the title. Last week, she told the "Daily Mail" she "hoped for an invitation but would be happy either way...." Huh? A year ago she was threatening to reveal deep dark secrets and the book is still in the works but she thinks an invitation "would be nice; a good way to heal." Prince Harry certainly has plenty of family and friends to invite but Meghan has a small, fractured family and, in part b/c of her non-stop work as an actress and humanitarian, she has few truly close friends. I mean, she left her friends in the U.S. to live in Toronto for the last seven years I believe. Beyond the cast of "Suits," how many friends did she make there? And who does she really know in London to invite? She's a self-described "quiet, private person." I think she's lovely and Harry's soulmate. Just consider the logistics. A big gathering with lots of his friends and family and a just a few people there for Meghan would be uncomfortable. A small, very private wedding solves a host of issues. And Harry, for all his charm and bravado and ease with the media when it comes to promoting causes he supports, guards his private life well. Remember how he castigated the reporters and photographers for following Meghan and taking photos of her home and places she frequents? This whole thought process of mine is something I'm articulating in a clumsy manner but I hope someone gets the gist and can possibly address it far better than I am.

I get where you are coming from. I do. But there are some things I disagree with. First of all, her family. We know she's super close to her mom and dad. Her dad is retired, not a hermit. And it sounds like he adores Meghan. He made sure she had the best of everything. He may not be crazy about the limelight but I can't imagine he wouldn't put up with it for one day, to walk his daughter down the aisle if she wanted him to. As for the sister, there's nothing to be done about her. If she's going to talk there isn't much one can do about that. Obviously she's not on the guest list. Meghan is also very close to her niece. And honestly, we don't know anything about her mom's side of the family because, none of them have talked. There could be people there she wants to invite.

As for friends. If you happen to follow Meghan's Instagram, which I do (well did until she stopped posting), you will see, she maintained very strong ties to LA, and considers it home. Most of her hiatuses and breaks from filming Suits, were spent back there, up until this last year however, when she was jetting to London. She also seems to have a close circle of girlfriends from her college days at Northwestern. Lastly, she seems to have a built a family, and home away from home in Toronto, while filming Suits, especially with the cast and crew. Not to mention the other friends she made in the fashion world and through philanthropy. All this to say, I wouldn't be so quick to assume that, Meghan wouldn't have anyone to fill her side of the church, if she wanted.

As for being divorced. Charles was divorced. And though his wedding was a civil one, the blessing directly after, certainly had all the pomp and circumstance of a wedding. It's on YouTube. There were certainly enough hymns and musical performances and readings. So being divorced is no reason to have some secret, rushed wedding.

Regarding Harry's popularity, I think the popularity of Harry in this engagement and wedding stuff has everything to do with the fact that 'everyone loves a lover'. It's the romance of it all, not necessarily a validation of Harry's popularity. It's also a function of Harry's royal status, precisely that he is the son and brother of future kings. That he's a prince. No getting around it. Harry to me is neither this nor that (though I am very much intrigued by Meghan), but I am still going to follow all the festivities. Might even be in London for the celebrations if it happens when my family intend to be visiting. Who doesn't love a wedding? :flowers:

The chief reason I'm inclined to think this will be an understated ceremony is b/c Meghan is a divorcee and, with the exception of her mother, her family seems less than supportive. [...]This whole thought process of mine is something I'm articulating in a clumsy manner but I hope someone gets the gist and can possibly address it far better than I am.

You bring up good points, maryshawn. :flowers: I'm sure this wedding will be planned to make sure Meghan is comfortable and happy with it. You may be right. However, like the previous poster (Alliec76), I think you underestimate Meghan. She does have close family (keep in mind we know nothing of her mother's side of the family because they have been very discreet), but she is also far larger than her family. She has developed a life of significance for two decades away from family. She does in fact have a significant circle of friends. I think she will be fine with a large royal wedding.

Last edited:
I get where you are coming from. I do. But there are some things I disagree with. First of all, her family. We know she's super close to her mom and dad. Her dad is retired, not a hermit. And it sounds like he adores Meghan. He made sure she had the best of everything. He may not be crazy about the limelight but I can't imagine he wouldn't put up with it for one day, to walk his daughter down the aisle if she wanted him to. As for the sister, there's nothing to be done about her. If she's going to talk there isn't much one can do about that. Obviously she's not on the guest list. Meghan is also very close to her niece. And honestly, we don't know anything about her mom's side of the family because, none of them have talked. There could be people there she wants to invite.

As for friends. If you happen to follow Meghan's Instagram, which I do (well did until she stopped posting), you will see, she maintained very strong ties to LA, and considers it home. Most of her hiatuses and breaks from filming Suits, were spent back there, up until this last year however, when she was jetting to London. She also seems to have a close circle of girlfriends from her college days at Northwestern. Lastly, she seems to have a built a family, and home away from home in Toronto, while filming Suits, especially with the cast and crew. Not to mention the other friends she made in the fashion world and through philanthropy. All this to say, I wouldn't be so quick to assume that, Meghan wouldn't have anyone to fill her side of the church, if she wanted.

As for being divorced. Charles was divorced. And though his wedding was a civil one, the blessing directly after, certainly had all the pomp and circumstance of a wedding. It's on YouTube. There were certainly enough hymns and musical performances and readings. So being divorced is no reason to have some secret, rushed wedding.

Absolutely agree :flowers:

Meghan has developed and maintained many close friends despite distance. Not living in the same city doesn't mean you lose contact. From social media see photos of her spending holidays with her friends back home. Her goddaughters. Her close friendship with new friends like Sophie Trudeau, her children make appearances on Meghan's social media. Her cast mates she seems good friends with. There are also college friends she has maintained bonds with. Friends like the restauranteur who is said to have introduced her to Harry. For many people, who aren't close to their own family, or have few family, your friends often become your extended family.

While Meghan is not close to her siblings, she is said to be close to at least one a niece and nephew. The niece who is an attorney and her brother who hasn't spoken to the media either. And her father as you have said is certainly no hermit, she seems to have quite a close bond with as well as mom. I am sure both parents will be very proudly by her side for it.

I don't see any reason to believe Meghan would only have one row of people and feel uncomfortable as she has no support there. Of course as a royal, with many expected guests, Harry may have a fuller side. But that would happen with any person who married a royal.

I really think the engagement announcement of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will take place this coming Tuesday morning. For some reason, Tuesdays are popular with the British Royals when it comes to news like this. Prince William and Kate Middleton announced their engagement on a Tuesday and on this coming Tuesday the PM already has a scheduled meeting with her cabinet so perfect timing when it comes to informing the government... Meghan hopped a plane to London rather than heading to L.A. to spend Thanksgiving with her beloved mom. Also, the photographers keep catching her coming and going out of salons, spas, upscale clothing stores, etc which is what you'd want to do to look your very best for the big photo op that comes with announcing your plans to marry a Prince of the British royal family. (Anyone else notice a woman at Meghan's side who seemed to be watching her and carrying a gun underneath her blazer so Royal Protection Officer perhaps?). I'm curious about the ring. I think it was very kind of Harry to give Princess Diana's iconic sapphire engagement ring to William for Catherine. Harry had, after all, chosen his mom's ring as his personal memento from her estate while William chose her Cartier tank watch. I think Harry, too, will want to "include Diana" as much as he possibly can just as William did so I believe he'll have a ring made from gemstones from one of his mum's favorite pieces of jewelry. Diana had a splendid suite of sapphires but IDK if Harry will want Meghan to have a ring that'll be forever compared to the one Catherine now wears. I think he'll probably go with an emerald from Diana's favorite necklace (the one she wore as a headband in Australia)...

Yeah, that's a good catch that Meghan going to salons and shopping has something to do with preparing for a big event sooner rather than later. ? The woman who was walking directly beside Meghan in the recent DF photos has been identified as Sarah Chapman, facialist and owner of the salon Meghan visited. Unless perhaps you are referencing a different woman in the background of the photos?

Based on some of your other comments, addressed by other posters, you seem to have come to following Meghan and Harry rather late. Or else, you haven't been reading up very much on Meghan. There is still plenty of information on her Instagram, articles about her and articles she's written, as well as many Youtube features, particularly her U.N. speech, her solo interview with Larry King in early 2016, her visit to Rwanda with One World Vision, lots of fashion and beauty clips, and Suits-related interviews and promos, etc.

I've read about what you are saying re Diana's ring and the Cartier watch, and the two brothers' agreement that whoever married first would give their fiancee the ring. I recently read another article which mentioned that Harry has given Meghan the Cartier watch that belonged to his mother (and the Cartier brand and model is one of Meghan's favorites).

It's really hard keeping up with the posts in here now. I can only imagine what it will be like when the engagement day arrives. Forget about the wedding. Websites will crash. Hearts will flutter. Eyes will tear up. :heart1:

I completely agree with you re your post. Obviously, we are all human and humans have failings. The question as you point out, is how individuals are able to deal with what happens in their lives, good and bad. Just as important is what kind of start we each get growing up. From all accounts, Meghan had an excellent start because she was nurtured and given the wings to fly by both of her parents. Their divorce did not harshly impact Meghan's personality development and stability growing up, because her parents remained friendly and on the same page regarding raising her and being devoted to her. In response to comments by some other posters: That scenario is completely unlike what happened to Lady Diana when her parents divorced.

As far as Meghan's first marriage, here's my take based on what's available that we do know: Meghan was with her former husband, Trevor Engelson for 7 years prior to their marriage in 2011. In addition, she had landed the role in Suits after an audition right around the time of her marriage. Meghan initially met Engelson in her early twenties. Surely she must have been taken with him and his burgeoning success as a film director. Engelson is five years older than Meghan. I think very often it can make something of a difference re how long the partnership will last being in your early twenties and dating a guy who is five years older with some experience and budding stature in the world of Hollywood.

Engelson and Meghan must have met sometime around 2004 when she was 22 or 23 and he was 27 or 28. Meghan played a cameo role as a bartender in Engelson's film, Remember Me circa 2009-10, which starred Robert Pattinson. That could have been Engelson's ticket to even bigger projects, but it doesn't seem as if he was able to segue that earlier opportunity into greater success in Hollywood. Meanwhile, on the relationship front after 7 years, some couples are so used to being together they may decide to take the next logical step of marriage, when maybe their relationship has already run its course. Perhaps both parties can become so comfortable with a 7-year relationship that it's difficult to cut the cord.

Obviously, it didn't help their newly minted marriage when Meghan had to relocate to Toronto for filming of the Suits pilot, immediately after they wed. In the television industry, there's no guarantee that a pilot will be picked up, much less that it will become a steadily increasing success after being picked up. The ingredients for the delectable series, Suits, melded well together, thus feeding and nurturing the careers of all involved from the beginning.

Toronto is a cosmopolitan city, very different from L.A. It's also part of the British commonwealth. Meghan slowly began making new friends and gaining fame locally. Fairly soon, she became tight with stylist, Jessica Mulroney, the daughter-in-law of the former Prime Minister, Brian Mulroney. She eventually also became friendly with current Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, and his wife, Sophie. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Meghan began making a name for herself in fashion, beauty, and entertainment in Hollywood, Toronto, Chicago, and in charitable/ cultural circles in Toronto, New York, and beyond.

So after two years of trying to keep her marriage with Engelson together, Meghan and Engelson called it quits in 2013 amid unfounded rumors that she was seeing someone else in Toronto. Actually, she was hanging out with a lot of interesting people in Toronto, including her castmates, local sports stars, designer friends and beauty specialists in Toronto, New York, Chicago, and Miami. She also had friends based in London and in Hollywood where her Suits success was garnering her increasing buzz. She may have met Markus Anderson of Soho House around 2013 or 2014. And during 2014 to 2015, her passion project, The Tig, began flourishing and adding to her success, to her circle of influential movers and shakers, and to her ever growing career opportunities. Also, most importantly for Meghan, she had achieved prominence and developed a platform from which she could effectively give back to others.

Therefore, even before moving to Toronto, it seems likely that Meghan had already nearly outgrown her relationship with Engelson, at the very start of their marriage. After having the world open up for her in new and exciting ways in Toronto, it's no wonder that Meghan's long distance marriage (which was probably hanging by a thread for two years) broke up. Her life and career possibilities quite frankly grew beyond Engelson's. To boot even now, Engelson finds himself trying to hustle up new projects while teaching and networking. Apparently, he has also been doing some work in television.

With Meghan's unexpected worldwide fame ratcheted up by suddenly being connected with British royalty, Engelson is attempting to cash in on their former relationship, which maybe says something about his character. He was obviously not the 'keeper' kind of guy. Not for the Meghan whose life changed and expanded into limitless possibilities soon after she landed the 'Rachel Zane' role in Suits, and the show's success took off like a rocket. It's not the 'success' that made Meghan. It's Meghan who took the opportunities that came her way and made her own success, and then some.

Sorry, I think there's a bit of a misapprehension about the timing of Suits relative to her marriage in the bolded parts above.

• The Suits pilot was ordered on May 17, 2010 and shot (as far as I can tell) in the fall of 2010, in NYC.
  • The series got picked up by the network for its first season on January 19, 2011.
  • The pilot had an advance screening on June 2, 2011, and aired on June 23, 2011.
  • Season two was ordered on August 11, 2011
  • The first season finale was September 8, 2011.
  • Meghan's Jamaican wedding was September 10, 2011.
Thus, the entire first season aired and the second season was ordered before she got married.

It wasn't a matter of "get married, move to Toronto, sudden distance caused problems". If the distance was causing problems from the time she moved to Toronto, then they got married in spite of that.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's a good catch that Meghan going to salons and shopping has something to do with preparing for a big event sooner rather than later. The woman who was walking directly beside Meghan in the recent DF photos has been identified as Sarah Chapman, facialist and owner of the salon Meghan visited. Unless perhaps you are referencing a different woman in the background of the photos? Based on some of your other comments, addressed by other posters, you seem to have come to following Meghan and Harry rather late. Or else, you haven't been reading up very much on Meghan. There is still plenty of information on her Instagram, articles about her and articles she's written, as well as many Youtube features, particularly her U.N. speech, her solo interview with Larry King in early 2016, her visit to Rwanda with One World Vision, lots of fashion and beauty clips, and Suits-related interviews and promos, etc.

She has visited Chapman's salon before. And been a customer for some time. Mentioned on social media in the past.

Not sure its a sign of impending engagement. May be:flowers: Or as talk said she was bathing suit shopping, may just want skin to be good for a vacation. Or she hasn't treated herself to a spa day since she was busy with filming and wanted to relax.

Well we will know sooner or later :flowers:

Yeah, that's a good catch that Meghan going to salons and shopping has something to do with preparing for a big event sooner rather than later. ? The woman who was walking directly beside Meghan in the recent DF photos has been identified as Sarah Chapman, facialist and ower of the salon Meghan visited. Unless perhaps you are referencing a different woman in the background of the photos?

I've read about what you are saying re Diana's ring and the Cartier watch, and the two brothers' agreement that whoever married first would give their fiancee the ring. I recently read another article which mentioned that Harry has given Meghan the Cartier watch that belonged to his mother (and the Cartier brand and model is one of Meghan's favorites).

It's really hard keeping up with the posts in here now. I can only imagine what it will be like when the engagement day arrives. Forget about the wedding. Websites will crash. Hearts will flutter. Eyes will tear up. :heart1:

I also appreciate the links provided by several UK members to the British tabloids with headlines urging the Prince to 'put the ring on Meghan's finger' or words to that effect...a highly sexist comment, in any case:bang: I take this opportunity to wish both the Prince and Ms Markle courage and strength in negotiating a very slippery path through the demanding and dehumanizing gauntlet of what other people want them to do :eek:and hope they follow their own hearts in what they both need:whistling:to do!

I also like you wish Harry and Meghan all the best and that they do what they want to do, not that the palace nor the media want them to do, so hoping they follow their hearts to wherever that leads them. ?

I'm curious about the ring. I think it was very kind of Harry to give Princess Diana's iconic sapphire engagement ring to William for Catherine. Harry had, after all, chosen his mom's ring as his personal memento from her estate while William chose her Cartier tank watch. I think Harry, too, will want to "include Diana" as much as he possibly can just as William did so I believe he'll have a ring made from gemstones from one of his mum's favorite pieces of jewelry. Diana had a splendid suite of sapphires but IDK if Harry will want Meghan to have a ring that'll be forever compared to the one Catherine now wears. I think he'll probably go with an emerald from Diana's favorite necklace (the one she wore as a headband in Australia).
The emerald choker that Diana wore (in Wales around her neck right after the wedding, and as a headband in Australia) is a piece of Royal heirloom jewelry given to Diana by The Queen as a wedding present. It originally belonged to Queen Mary and it was made from emeralds from Queen Mary's family. After Diana died, it was reportedly returned to The Queen with all the rest of the royal jewelry. There is absolutely no way they would dismantle that choker to make a ring. None at all. (Emeralds are also not sturdy enough for engagement rings that are worn daily.) Harry will give Meghan something else from his mother - probably the Cartier watch. I predict an all-diamond engagement ring as are most common in the US as a nod to Meghan's American heritage.

Last edited:
IMO Harry and Meghan have opted to take a few days to quietly celebrate Thanksgiving Day, the end of what must have been a stress-filled and painful end to seven years of hard work with people Meghan has grown to like. And then shifting from her home of seven years and moving to another planet across the Atlantic. Yes folks, if the media is anything to go by this last week, it really is another planet.

I would imagine Meghan's needs would have been peace, love and understanding. For he to mourn the passing of the life she worked so hard to create and to contemplate the very difficult months that lay ahead. I can only hope they didn't bother with the news . . . but then Wills probably texted Harry to ask if the "Elvis Impersonator" was any good! :D

Sorry, I think there's a bit of a misapprehension about the timing of Suits relative to her marriage in the bolded parts above.

• The Suits pilot was ordered on May 17, 2010 and shot (as far as I can tell) in the fall of 2010, in NYC.
  • The series got picked up by the network for its first season on January 19, 2011.
  • The pilot had an advance screening on June 2, 2011, and aired on June 23, 2011.
  • Season two was ordered on August 11, 2011
  • The first season finale was September 8, 2011.
  • Meghan's Jamaican wedding was September 10, 2011.
Thus, the entire first season aired and the second season was ordered before she got married.

It wasn't a matter of "get married, move to Toronto, sudden distance caused problems". If the distance was causing problems from the time she moved to Toronto, then they got married in spite of that.

Thanks for this chronological detail surrounding the evolution of Suits. The essence of what I said earlier still applies. I never said it was that cut-and-dried in the first place. Complexities and unknown factors are involved in a relationship that doesn't last between two people. In fact, there have been reports from Meghan sources that the reason for the marriage breakup had to do with trouble salvaging a long distance relationship. The exact date of their marriage relative to the dates surrounding the initial production of Suits do not make or break the fact that they were already in a relationship for 7 years, and that their decision to marry coincided around the time Meghan landed the role, or near the time that the pilot was picked up and filming of the first season began. We do know that Meghan had to audition first in order to land the role of Rachel Zane. We don't know exactly when Engelson popped the question or how long they were planning their wedding after the marriage proposal. We do know that they were married on September 10, 2011 in Jamaica. Keep in mind that the relationship lasted longer than the marriage.

Maybe Engelson did not propose until after the pilot was picked up and Meghan learned that she'd be relocating to Toronto. She would likely have signed a contract after the pilot had been picked up. Whether the marriage proposal came in 2010 when she was auditioning or in 2011 after the pilot was picked up, makes little difference. Their marriage happened after they'd been together about 7 years. The point I was making is that their relationship could have actually run it's course by then. But that it's hard to break up suddenly when you've been together that long. Both parties could have been trying to hold onto something that was not going to last whether or not Meghan had moved to Toronto.

It could also be that it was Engelson who was concerned about losing Meghan once he learned she'd be relocating. It's difficult to know what their thoughts were, but obviously even after she landed the role and filmed the pilot, there was no guarantee the pilot would be picked up, as I mentioned. Meghan might have filmed other pilots in L.A. that never got picked up. So a lot of things were up in the air. Also, she'd been with Engelson at a young age and for a long time, so it couldn't have been easy for her to see into a crystal ball or to have enough experience to realize that her life was changing and that it would be difficult to maintain a long distance relationship.

Since I only had general information, I wasn't trying to tie down the exact chronology. Even with specific dates, the scenario is still the same:

Meghan begins filming the first season in Toronto in early 2011 (at which time Engelson had likely already asked her to marry him; even if he hadn't, they must have had some kind of understanding, especially by the beginning of summer 2011). We don't have any specific details about exactly what Meghan's living arrangements were when she began filming, or exactly when she relocated to Toronto and found her apartment. She may have flown back and forth to L.A. in between breaks in filming the first and second seasons. Meanwhile, I think we can be assured that the Jamaican wedding in September 2011 required advance planning. It must have been a hectic and glorious time for Meghan. Again, there was no guarantee how long the show would last. Fortunately, for Meghan and the cast of Suits, the show became increasingly popular over the first two years of filming from 2011 to 2013, which coincides with the length of Meghan's marriage.

Since Meghan and Engelson did get married and they stayed married for two years, I would assume they were trying to hold things together against some long distance odds. Your adding the chronology surrounding the filming of Suits, frankly doesn't detract from what I was surmising about Meghan's growth evolution in Toronto, and the breakdown of her relationship with Engelson. Once again, the seeds of the breakdown could have already existed before they married since their relationship could have run its course after being together for 7 years. But it was difficult for them to fully recognize or admit. Let's face it that the distance between them which started prior to their marriage*, likely became worse as Suits became increasingly successful.

*which we know based on the date timeline of Suits and the date of their marriage, that you have provided :flowers:

Last edited:
We also don't know if Meghan and Trevor mutually ended their marriage or one of them chose to file for divorce. The dynamics of their relationship might have changed as Meghan got more recognition from being part of a successful TV series. This is all speculation.

:previous: Eh, there's lots of information out there, much of it unsubstantiated gossip. Again, Meghan sources (IOW, her pr people) claimed at the time and later, that the marriage broke down due to the problems of maintaining a long distance relationship. Sources seem to indicate that the break-up was mutual if not completely amicable. Court documents were uncovered by some online celebrity gossip sites, proving that Meghan initiated the divorce action, citing 'irreconciliable differences.' Unsubstantiated rumors have floated around that Meghan was seeing someone else in Toronto as the reason for the divorce, but where this claim originated is unclear. Documents show that Meghan and Engelson were separated on July 5, 2013, and she later filed for divorce on August 7, 2013. The divorce action was uncontested, and Meghan waived her right to receive spousal support.

Likely because Sophia Charlotte's possible heritage is questionable at best. If the rumors are true, her black ancestor was 24 generations before her. But the ancestress in question, some say was Moorish but many others say was a Moazab, meaning a Christian living in Moore controlled area.

Having a member of the BRF who is visibly and undeniably mixed, is vastly different. Certainly why it causes more of a stir among some.

Hopefully you read the links I provided which includes a genealogical chart, and information from PBS Frontline (known for their exhaustive research). Sophia Charlotte's African heritage is based on sound factual evidence, not mere rumors. In fact, back in those distant early centuries, royal bloodlines were rather concentrated, because of royals marrying royals. Note that Sophia Charlotte was not the only member of her family who exhibited African physical features, which was also not exactly such a stigma back then as it later became as a result of the spread of economic-based slavery in the New World. Please read the links, particularly the Frontline link, and the one that includes a genealogical chart.

Please understand that parsing labels and terminology today does not have the same meaning held in ancient times. Terms used during distant historical periods may have meant any number of things beyond our current cultural understanding. A lot of new historical research has been done in recent years uncovering a number of mind-blowing things regarding the names of different groups of people in ancient times vs what they actually looked like and where they originated. If we want to get very technical, quite clearly all of humanity originated out of Africa, except for the Neanderthals who intermixed with Europeans before eventually dying out. DNA technology has also proven that different races is a manmade construct in the first place. There's only the human race, but we can't seem to fully grasp what that means.

Start with this scientific finding:
How Europeans evolved white skin | Science | AAAS

Last edited:

Given the timeline you present maybe the marriage was an attempt to stake a commitment to the relationship on both their parts. :ermm: But it didn't work. Maybe had Trevor moved to Toronto the marriage would have endured. Anyway, it didn't and here she is, on the brink of becoming a British princess/duchess.

Thanks for this chronological detail surrounding the evolution of Suits. The essence of what I said earlier still applies. I never said it was that cut-and-dried in the first place. Complexities and unknown factors are involved in a relationship that doesn't last between two people. In fact, there have been reports from Meghan sources that the reason for the marriage breakup had to do with trouble salvaging a long distance relationship. The exact date of their marriage relative to the dates surrounding the initial production of Suits do not make or break the fact that they were already in a relationship for 7 years, and that their decision to marry coincided around the time Meghan landed the role, or near the time that the pilot was picked up and filming of the first season began. We do know that Meghan had to audition first in order to land the role of Rachel Zane. We don't know exactly when Engelson popped the question or how long they were planning their wedding after the marriage proposal. We do know that they were married on September 10, 2011 in Jamaica. Keep in mind that the relationship lasted longer than the marriage.

Maybe Engelson did not propose until after the pilot was picked up and Meghan learned that she'd be relocating to Toronto. She would likely have signed a contract after the pilot had been picked up. Whether the marriage proposal came in 2010 when she was auditioning or in 2011 after the pilot was picked up, makes little difference. Their marriage happened after they'd been together about 7 years. The point I was making is that their relationship could have actually run it's course by then. But that it's hard to break up suddenly when you've been together that long. Both parties could have been trying to hold onto something that was not going to last whether or not Meghan had moved to Toronto.

It could also be that it was Engelson who was concerned about losing Meghan once he learned she'd be relocating. It's difficult to know what their thoughts were, but obviously even after she landed the role and filmed the pilot, there was no guarantee the pilot would be picked up, as I mentioned. Meghan might have filmed other pilots in L.A. that never got picked up. So a lot of things were up in the air. Also, she'd been with Engelson at a young age and for a long time, so it couldn't have been easy for her to see into a crystal ball or to have enough experience to realize that her life was changing and that it would be difficult to maintain a long distance relationship.

Since I only had general information, I wasn't trying to tie down the exact chronology. Even with specific dates, the scenario is still the same:

Meghan begins filming the first season in Toronto in early 2011 (at which time Engelson had likely already asked her to marry him; even if he hadn't, they must have had some kind of understanding, especially by the beginning of summer 2011). We don't have any specific details about exactly what Meghan's living arrangements were when she began filming, or exactly when she relocated to Toronto and found her apartment. She may have flown back and forth to L.A. in between breaks in filming the first and second seasons. Meanwhile, I think we can be assured that the Jamaican wedding in September 2011 required advance planning. It must have been a hectic and glorious time for Meghan. Again, there was no guarantee how long the show would last. Fortunately, for Meghan and the cast of Suits, the show became increasingly popular over the first two years of filming from 2011 to 2013, which coincides with the length of Meghan's marriage.

Since Meghan and Engelson did get married and they stayed married for two years, I would assume they were trying to hold things together against some long distance odds. Your adding the chronology surrounding the filming of Suits, frankly doesn't detract from what I was surmising about Meghan's growth evolution in Toronto, and the breakdown of her relationship with Engelson. Once again, the seeds of the breakdown could have already existed before they married since their relationship could have run its course after being together for 7 years. But it was difficult for them to fully recognize or admit. Let's face it that the distance between them which started prior to their marriage*, likely became worse as Suits became increasingly successful.

*which we know based on the date timeline of Suits and the date of their marriage, that you have provided :flowers:

FWIW, I didn't have any issue with your analysis, which is why I bolded what I was replying to, which was just the timeline. I agree that the chronology doesn't detract from what you surmised. I just think it's important to make sure that the timelines are correct, because I think we've all seen "everyone knows" facts creep into the stories of these people that aren't actually completely right. :flowers:

Hopefully you read the links I provided which includes a genealogical chart, and information from PBS Frontline (known for their exhaustive research). Sophia Charlotte's African heritage is based on sound factual evidence, not mere rumors. In fact, back in those distant early centuries, royal bloodlines were rather concentrated, because of royals marrying royals. Note that Sophia Charlotte was not the only member of her family who exhibited African physical features, which was also not exactly such a stigma back then as it later became as a result of the spread of economic-based slavery in the New World. Please read the links, particularly the Frontline link, and the link with the genealogical chart.

Please understand that parsing labels and terminology today does not have the same meaning held in ancient times. Terms used during distant historical periods may have meant any number of things beyond our current cultural understanding. A lot of new historical research has been done in recent years uncovering a number of mind-blowing things regarding the names of different groups of people in ancient times vs what they actually looked like and where they originated. If we want to get very technical, quite clearly all of humanity originated out of Africa, except for the Neanderthals who intermixed with Europeans before eventually dying out. DNA technology has also proven that different races is a manmade construct in the first place. There's only the human race, but we can't seem to fully grasp what that means.

Start with this scientific finding:
How Europeans evolved white skin | Science | AAAS

You have posted no links :ermm:

The reality is such assumptions have been made upon portraits whose artists have questioned motives in how she was portrayed. And there are several historians who dispute the ethnicity of her 'Moorish ancestress'. Frontline had several mistakes, including the name of her doctor, and her having Frankish roots. As well as making assumptions based on One historian who called Madragana as a Moore. As there is no DNA evidence, there is certainly no way of proving either way.

The point I made, even if Sophia Charlotte had black ancesters, it was 24 generations in the background. To compare her to someone like Meghan who is half black, would be a stretch. Certainly is more of a cultural impact for a prince to marry someone who is quite visibly, and undeniably, mixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom