Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The BRF has been a soap opera for decades now

Perhaps for Americans, but to the people for whom it was created and functions [the Brits and Commonwealth] it is FAR more important than that, which is why there is a reluctance to see it cheapened by 'celebrification'. We have seen what havoc Diana created with that, and don't want a repeat altho' that is so desired by [essentially] outsiders.

Last edited:
The BRF has been a soap opera for decades now, which is why I find it funny when people suggest Meghan will turn the royals into a soap opera or celebrities. That train has already left the station. :lol:
In the 1980s/1990s? Yes.

In the 2000s/2010s? No.

As nothing in the way of an announcement is likely at all over the weekend I wonder whether the media will be looking for any signs of activity re the BBC ot Kensington Palace on Monday? I've got a feeling this roller coaster may go on for some time!

Perhaps for Americans, but to the people for whom it was created and functions [the Brits and Commonwealth] it is FAR more important than that, which is why there is a reluctance to see it cheapened by 'celebrification'. We have seen what havoc Diana created with that, and don't want a repeat altho' that is so desired by [essentially] outsiders.

This is not about American perception. The fact is, like all families, the BRF is comprised of flawed people, some of whom have had public scandals and mistakes, even before Diana. There is no more reason to fret over Meghan than any other royal, including Charles, Margaret, Andrew and Harry himself. They've all given the tabloids, and the rest of us, reasons to label the RF a soap opera.

Certainly manners HAVE changed, as have the press [now markedly less deferential and circumspect than in the past].
But I repeat 'Soap Opera' it isn't... It is a hard working operation dedicated to highlighting and rewarding the good aspects of our Society [and societies overseas], and shining a spotlight on areas where improvement is needed [mental health,literacy, domestic abuse, homelessness and youth opportunities. All this aside from its very important Constitutional role
When it is labelled 'a soap' these aspects are downplayed and marginalised, amidst excitement over frocks, jewels, weddings and babies...

Alright let's get back on topic, everyone...Harry and Meghan's relationship.

Looks like everyone got there hopes up for nothing it was all about the queen- Harry is not going to marry Megan this is going to end like the rest of his past girlfriends- you can not be in love with someone and marry that person you only know for barely a year this will not last one person will get there heart broke because he is being used and clearly is to blind to see it

I think that you will find that the majority of the people here will disagree with you, Carmen. There are just too many indications that this is it for Harry. He's been hooked, line and sinkered in a big way. I seriously doubt that Meghan Markle would have left a very lucrative acting role to move to the UK to just be the "girlfriend" in hopes of a ring somewhere down the line.

Harry has been known to state quite a few times that he really does want to settle down and raise a family of his own and all signs point to that this is exactly what is in the works. I would even go as far as to state its nearly a done deal that we will be seeing a royal wedding in the not to far distant future.
:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Harry and Meghan have been dating for longer than 'barely a year' anyway. Depending on exactly when they met (and nobody's sure) they've been seeing each other for between 17 and 18 months. And Meghan has stayed with Harry on extended visits.

I'm starting to feel a bit uneasy. Not about Meghan and Harry, per say, but all of the hype and expectations and demands swirling around them. I can't put my finger on what it exactly is, but it has me worried. Especially for Meghan. I'm such a fan of her's and Harry is my favorite royal by far. And I think they make a great couple. But the longer this has gone on, and the more I've thought about it, it almost seems like the apparatus around them (the media, the public, the protocol, etc) are almost designed to ensure failure. I don't know. I hesitate to even say this, because everyone (myself included) has been so excited about this. I don't think I'm explaining myself well. Maybe it's just a passing feeling. Don't mind me!

Last edited:
I think some of it is just the aftermath of the excited media frenzy of the past 24 hours or so. That will subside somewhat over the next few days. The British tabloids especially have been longing for this romance for a very long time but often can't resist sly digs at newcomers like Meghan, (nationality, profession, background etc). It's just the way they and online sites seem to operate.

I'm starting to feel a bit uneasy. Not about Meghan and Harry, per say, but all of the hype and expectations and demands swirling around them. I can't put my finger on what it exactly is, but it has me worried. Especially for Meghan. I'm such a fan of her's and Harry is my favorite royal by far. And I think they make a great couple. But the longer this has gone on, and the more I've thought about it, it almost seems like the apparatus around them (the media, the public, the protocol, etc) are almost designed to ensure failure. I don't know. I hesitate to even say this, because everyone (myself included) has been so excited about this. I don't think I'm explaining myself well. Maybe it's just a passing feeling. Don't mind me!

Had the same feelings during the Cambridge’s courtship. Sometimes you end up feeling like it’s all too good to be true.

I got through it all by just remaining positive, prayer and trying not to jinx anything that surrounds the royal couple. It’s not easy, but one just have to be cool, calm and collective.

Meghan has been ripped apart by the tabloids a few times already during this relationship. I don't think this media frenzy affected her one bit. Also, ihmo, Harry has made it clear, and shown, that he has her back, he's her biggest supporter, I don't think these outside noises touch them much. IMHO Meghan is a smart woman, she knows what she's getting into, and is fine with it.

:previous: Exactly. I don't think we talk enough about just how resilient Meghan probably is. She has already had a lot thrown at her in the last year and not only has she seemingly handled it well but she has opened herself up to criticism with that VF interview and appearance at the Invictus Games. Do her and Harry make those choices if they were concerned about all of the hype or expectations that would come as a result of being so public? I don't think so. And surely, they knew the media would latch on quickly and start to make all kinds of assumptions. At this point, I think it's clear that we are talking about two people who know who they are and what they want. The outside noise likely has very little impact on their relationship.

Would the need for a fiancé visa be insisted on though, in view of who she is marrying? They might be allowed to marry without one and apply for a marriage visa afterwards. I can totally see them rushing through Meghan's application. Can't see her having to wait in America for ages for the visa to come through. I know it normally can take a while these days. When we did it, you could go to the British Consulate in New York without an appointment and get it all in one day! Those were the days lol.

Looks like everyone got there hopes up for nothing it was all about the queen- Harry is not going to marry Megan this is going to end like the rest of his past girlfriends- you can not be in love with someone and marry that person you only know for barely a year this will not last one person will get there heart broke because he is being used and clearly is to blind to see it

Okay...Harry has been dating Meghan well over a year (18 months or so now). They dated 6 months before anyone even knew about it.

Because the media got something wrong doesn't have a thing to do with what Harry and Meghan will do.

LaRae

You guys are correct, of course. I'm a known worry wart. :) I certainly think Meghan is more than equipped to handle whatever comes her way. She already had. I think she realizes that there are some people who will be beyond her reach. No matter what she does. And I'm sure she and Harry are on the same page about whatever their future holds. And it might not look like some people think, and that's ok too. Anyhoo, I'm going to continue to be cautiously optimistic.

You guys are correct, of course. I'm a known worry wart. :) I certainly think Meghan is more than equipped to handle whatever comes her way. She already had. I think she realizes that there are some people who will be beyond her reach. No matter what she does. And I'm sure she and Harry are on the same page about whatever their future holds. And it might not look like some people think, and that's ok too. Anyhoo, I'm going to continue to be cautiously optimistic.

I am afraid Meghan will have a hard time adjusting to life in the UK and to being a member of the RF. She comes from a very different culture and I can't picture her being at ease with the Queen, or Prince Charles, or Charles' siblings, or even some of the younger royals other than Harry. She has a steep learning curve ahead of her and not that much time.

While it’s romantic to think that love can conquer all, anyone who’s experienced life knows this not to be the case. I think it’s understandable to have some concerns about the couple being able to go the distance. Both come from broken homes, Meghan has one failed marriage already. They come from different countries and backgrounds. The marriage, if it happens, will be subjected to extra ordinary pressures based on who Harry is, no matter who his wife is. The relationship is relatively new. Harry IMO leads with his heart and is more impulsive than his brother.
Nevertheless, I am truly hopeful that they are eyes wide open, feet firmly on the ground as they plan a joined future. I’ll admit, I had similar concerns about Zara and Mike (for different reasons) and I was wrong about them, so I’m probably a fellow worry wart :)

She's been pretty adept in dealing with folks for varying cultures. I think she will adjust pretty well.

LaRae

I am afraid Meghan will have a hard time adjusting to life in the UK and to being a member of the RF. She comes from a very different culture and I can't picture her being at ease with the Queen, or Prince Charles, or Charles' siblings, or even some of the younger royals other than Harry. She has a steep learning curve ahead of her and not that much time.

She has seemed pretty at ease with a wide array of people from what I've seen. We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

While it’s romantic to think that love can conquer all, anyone who’s experienced life knows this not to be the case. I think it’s understandable to have some concerns about the couple being able to go the distance. Both come from broken homes, Meghan has one failed marriage already. They come from different countries and backgrounds. The marriage, if it happens, will be subjected to extra ordinary pressures based on who Harry is, no matter who his wife is. The relationship is relatively new. Harry IMO leads with his heart and is more impulsive than his brother.
Nevertheless, I am truly hopeful that they are eyes wide open, feet firmly on the ground as they plan a joined future. I’ll admit, I had similar concerns about Zara and Mike (for different reasons) and I was wrong about them, so I’m probably a fellow worry wart :)

Well Zara and Mike were a little bumpy at the start, but they seem to have sorted themselves out. :) Just to be clear I'm not that worried about Harry and Meghan, more all that is happening around them. Some of which is out of their control. That concerns me. But it will probably turn out to be fine.

Would the need for a fiancé visa be insisted on though, in view of who she is marrying? They might be allowed to marry without one and apply for a marriage visa afterwards. I can totally see them rushing through Meghan's application. Can't see her having to wait in America for ages for the visa to come through. I know it normally can take a while these days. When we did it, you could go to the British Consulate in New York without an appointment and get it all in one day! Those were the days lol.

I think they would want to avoid the appearance of favoritism. They are going to want to go through whatever the normal procedure is. People are already coming after her, no need to give them a reason.

I think the opposite. I think all of them will do their best to warmly welcome Meghan into the family. We may think that the British royal family is stiff upper lipped and closed but from all accounts that I've read about interactions of the family in private, they very much can let their hair down, joke around and be quite congenial and hospitable.

I think Charles and Meghan for one will get on like a house on fire. Andrew may be a bit stuffy but then again, that's Andrew being Andrew and Anne is reserved but I don't see a problem there. Its amusing but I can actually picture the Queen and Meghan trying to out mimic each other. The Queen and Philip are both known to have a wicked sense of humor and so does Camilla. Neither Sophie or Edward come across as stuck up and stiff so that just about lists the immediate family. :D

The cultures aren't that different that there will be awkward silences or major guffaws. It may be totally different if Meghan has to deal with which fork to use at a state dinner and protocol right off the bat but among the family, I don't see any real difficulties at all.

We know (covered previously in the Harry/Meg threads) she is avoiding the gang customs/entry procedures and gets picked up on the tarmac by a dark car. So the likelihood that we will ever know about what kind of visa/when is so very teeny, tiny!

I think they would want to avoid the appearance of favoritism. They are going to want to go through whatever the normal procedure is. People are already coming after her, no need to give them a reason.

Tbh they're already getting favourable treatment. You can bet that Harry doesn't have to wait for two hours in line at US Immigration, and there is ZERO chance of Meghan being denied entry to the UK for visiting too often and having a UK love interest, something that has happened to many a foreign non EU citizen coming to visit a boyfriend or girlfriend in the UK (and to Brits going to the US too).

If they really got treated the same as Joe Average, can you imagine reading in the news that the royal wedding has had to be postponed because the bride's application for a visa was denied on a technical error? As could happen to an ordinary couple.

If the wedding really is going to be within 6 months, then a fiancé visa must already have been applied for, meaning some civil servant somewhere knows all about it (could it be why bookmakers have stop taking bets on them getting engaged, because it was leaked via said officials?) If one has not been applied for yet, then it would seem risky to announce a date with no guarantee of visa in hand.

Another question is are fiancé visas required for Church of England weddings? Of course assuming the foreign fiancée intends to go back to their country to get a spouse visa after the wedding. (You can't convert to a spouse visa within the UK unless you have a fiancé visa first).

I think that you will find that the majority of the people here will disagree with you, Carmen. There are just too many indications that this is it for Harry. He's been hooked, line and sinkered in a big way. I seriously doubt that Meghan Markle would have left a very lucrative acting role to move to the UK to just be the "girlfriend" in hopes of a ring somewhere down the line.

Harry has been known to state quite a few times that he really does want to settle down and raise a family of his own and all signs point to that this is exactly what is in the works. I would even go as far as to state its nearly a done deal that we will be seeing a royal wedding in the not to far distant future.
:D

I agree that it is a done deal. She already has the engagement ring. We just haven't seen it yet

And she has the rest of her life to perfection the art of being a member of the BRF. She doesn't need to be an expert in royal life at the time of her (anticipated) wedding. She has a life time to come. Other princesses 9or princes in the BRF and in other royal families take some (a few more than others) to get used to their new life and that is what is to be expected.

Regarding family members, because of Meghan's age they might focus a little more on the Phillips cousins than the York ones... (next to of course spending time with William & Catherine)

If things should happen and the actual date of the wedding was past the expiration date of a fiance visa, from what I've read, with a good reason the visa could be extended. I seriously doubt that, within reason, Meghan would be refused an extension. :D

* You are granted entry to the UK for a period of six months during which time you must marry your fiancé/e in the UK. If there are exceptional reasons for delaying marriage until after the initial six months an extension to stay in the UK may be granted.

United Kingdom immigration and work visas | Workpermit.com

If the wedding really is going to be within 6 months, then a fiancé visa must already have been applied for, meaning some civil servant somewhere knows all about it (could it be why bookmakers have stop taking bets on them getting engaged, because it was leaked via said officials?) If one has not been applied for yet, then it would seem risky to announce a date with no guarantee of visa in hand.

Another question is are fiancé visas required for Church of England weddings? Of course assuming the foreign fiancée intends to go back to their country to get a spouse visa after the wedding. (You can't convert to a spouse visa within the UK unless you have a fiancé visa first).

Instead of a minor civil servant, it could have been some high up government official who did the paperwork to keep it from leaking.

Does the Church even care about visas?

Instead of a minor civil servant, it could have been some high up government official who did the paperwork to keep it from leaking.

Does the Church even care about visas?

When they know that the law hasnt been followed, then yes.

Folks, royal engagements can be long. Peter and Autumn announced their engagement July 2007. They didn’t get married until May 2008. So, Royal engagement and wedding timetables can vary, not necessarily due at a short timetable.

We just have to wait and see how everything will unfold.

Yes, but while Autumn was Canadian, she was in the UK on a work visa. There wasn't the same question of visa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom