Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's also a good career move on many levels.

Not convinced moving to London would necessarily be 'a good career move'..'Suits' aired for a short time on the TV Channel 'Dave' and then dropped,and is now on 'Netflix' but has little 'presence' in this country.Unless Ms Markle can pick up work with the major TV Channels here, or plans Stage Work in London I think it would be a retrograde step. She simply isn't famous here, beyond the minority that know her as 'Harry's girlfriend'.

Last edited:
I don't know how her moving to London would be a good career move for her? How closing down lucrative deals, blog and quitting her show are good career moves for her.

Depends on what type of career she plans to transition to. If she's transitioning into being a member of the BRF ..it is a good career move to close those things down.

LaRae

Depends on what type of career she plans to transition to. If she's transitioning into being a member of the BRF ..it is a good career move to close those things down.

LaRae

That I agree with.

If she wished to remain working in the entertainment industry, those are lousy career moves.

I don't know how her moving to London would be a good career move for her? How closing down lucrative deals, blog and quitting her show are good career moves for her.

Agreed. No offense to the UK, but why would an American actress move to the UK to boost her career? It's usually people from the UK moving to the US to make it big. The pinnacle of the entertainment industry is LA. The only reason she's in Toronto is because her US show shoots there. She's not trying to "make it" in the UK. She's already made it in the US. Most actors are happy to book a steady job on a popular show. She's done that. A show that's lasted 7 seasons is nothing to sneeze at. That's syndication money. And Suits is exactly the type of show that does well in syndication.

Agreed. No offense to the UK, but why would an American actress move to the UK to boost her career? It's usually people from the UK moving to the US to make it big. The pinnacle of the entertainment industry is LA. The only reason she's in Toronto is because her US show shoots there. She's not trying to "make it" in the UK. She's already made it in the US. Most actors are happy to book a steady job on a popular show. She's done that. A show that's lasted 7 seasons is nothing to sneeze at. That's syndication money. And Suits is exactly the type of show that does well in syndication.

Yep. As an American, if she wanted to, she could use this hype to get a part on some cooking show, hosting gigs etc, but that would happen in America, not UK.

Imho nothing she has done suggests, that entertainment career is her main goal. She has been so quiet, no PR whatsoever, no red carpets, no interviews, nothing. That's not how you build a career in the showbiz.

Yep. As an American, if she wanted to, she could use this hype to get a part on some cooking show, hosting gigs etc, but that would happen in America, not UK.

Imho nothing she has done suggests, that entertainment career is her main goal. She has been so quiet, no PR whatsoever, no red carpets, no interviews, nothing. That's not how you build a career in the showbiz.

And it took her a while to really reach this point in her career. She's not walking that back without some serious thought and a very good reason. And a plan. Just because we don't know about it, doesn't mean she and they (Harry) don't have a plan.

If an actor/actress wanted to go on stage London might be a great place (besides NYC) to cut their teeth..a good number of famous actors/actresses from the US and UK have done stage work to improve themselves.

However no treading the boards isn't why Meghan would be moving to London.

LaRae

HaHaHa.. Hardly ! She hasn't the talent, nor ANY stage experience..

She did a theatre degree at Northwestern. I'd have to see some evidence before I believed that she has no stage experience.

It's odd to suggest that somehow because media is salivating at another royal wedding that Harry and Meghan are being pressured into anything. Media was doing the same in terms of engagement/wedding watch and speculation with Chelsey and Cressida too. Clearly, they haven't been able to bully the Prince into it. :lol:

I think its all pretty moot when it comes to the UK and Meghan seeking acting roles. I believe that if Meghan had any kind of interest in pursuing her acting career, the logical step would be to renew her contract with Suits. Why give up something that is tried and true for the great unknown? It just doesn't seem logical to me at all.

From what we've seen and know to be true about what Meghan has done with her life since meeting Harry, its seems more likely that the move to the UK would have Harry as the top priority behind it and an understanding between herself and Harry underlining it.

One thing I think we're getting a clear picture of if Meghan is indeed in the process of becoming a member of the British royal family is that there really is quite a distinction between being a celebrity and being a royal. We most likely are witnessing a metamorphosis between the two types of roles. Interesting isn't it? ?

That 7 years on a TV show means is very important, recently 2 actress have quit 2 different TV shows where they have been on for 7 years, now they are free to pursue other adventures in the industry and still have money coming in when the show appears on as a rerun and they are in it.... very smart of these ladies. Always having money coming in on a show that is in syndication and enjoying life if not working......so maybe Meghan will have her own money coming in when Suits goes into syndication also. After all she worked for it....:lol:

One can think they are a cute couple and still be wary of thinking they are headed for marriage. :cool: There are innumerable indications that suggest they are not necessarily a 'done deal', but having a gnarly back-and-forth conversation about that is pointless imo.

Well, the strong statement could be taken as just that: the press were making a private citizen's life unbearable solely because of affiliation with Harry. Seems reasonable to me to say something about that. If Harry hadn't (and doesn't in the future with anyone else) he'd be finding it very hard to date methinks.

All of Meghan's actions can be viewed as short term actions. None of them are irrevocable, and maybe she was already thinking of some changes. Who knows. I think she was getting some ugly stuff via social media, so shutting that down was an easy decision.

She could certainly be thinking of moving to London to live-in with Harry. Such a move does not presage marriage necessarily in my book. It's also a good career move on many levels.

As for the Invictus Games, that was clearly a show, yes. Unusual, in fact. More for Harry than for her, I think. He's the one to watch. Meghan is saying yes to an adventure. I'm with her on that. But marriage? If I were her girlfriend I'd caution great care, go slow. This is a situation that may not be what it seems. That's what I'd caution and she'd then do what she wants. :flowers:

I think Harry is looking at marriage as the end goal. He is doing all he can to win her. But how far Meghan may be willing to go at this point, well, we'll be finding out. 20/20 is always superior. ;)

In doing all he can to win her............if she was not agreeable to the relationship by *now* after how many months, then she would be *long gone* for Meghan does not seem like the kind of woman that sits around waiting for a man to take care of her, she is very capable of taking care of herself. Harry does not have to *win* her, they are a team as they have been showing us all along for months now by *their very own actions*, nobody is twisting their arms or her arms to do anything.......as the saying goes...........*Actions speak louder then words* and when I see pictures of the 2 of them holding hands, arms around each other, light kisses in public, all those *actions* speak volumes to me and others.

In doing all he can to win her............if she was not agreeable to the relationship by *now* after how many months, then she would be *long gone* for Meghan does not seem like the kind of woman that sits around waiting for a man to take care of her, she is very capable of taking care of herself. Harry does not have to *win* her, they are a team as they have been showing us all along for months now by *their very own actions*, nobody is twisting their arms or her arms to do anything.......as the saying goes...........*Actions speak louder then words* and when I see pictures of the 2 of them holding hands, arms around each other, light kisses in public, all those *actions* speak volumes to me and others.

I agree, I don't see any signs that Meghan is playing hard to get or is undecided. The impression I get is she is all in and has made the changes in her acting life to transition into her new life.

What does feminism have to do with Meghan's decision?

Pretty sure it's self explanatory. Meghan describes herself as a feminist and she's also been 100% self sufficient. No way would she shut down a stream of income that she was using to support herself without having really good assurances of what she was doing it for.

Feminism isn't a dirty word, btw.

LaRae

Speaking as a woman with a corporate job - I don't typically leave one job until I am 100% sure about my new job.

That's why I think Meghan and Harry have had conversations about this and have an understanding.

HaHaHa.. Hardly ! She hasn't the talent, nor ANY stage experience..

What are you basing that on? TV is a different medium, requiring more a different approach. Has she done a stage production that I missed somewhere? Or are you extrapolating?

Her degree suggests she'd have the foundation to do theater.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking as a woman with a corporate job - I don't typically leave one job until I am 100% sure about my new job.

That's why I think Meghan and Harry have had conversations about this and have an understanding.

Agree: Ms Markle has no plans to let this one get away!:lol:

That 7 years on a TV show means is very important, recently 2 actress have quit 2 different TV shows where they have been on for 7 years, now they are free to pursue other adventures in the industry and still have money coming in when the show appears on as a rerun and they are in it.... very smart of these ladies. Always having money coming in on a show that is in syndication and enjoying life if not working......so maybe Meghan will have her own money coming in when Suits goes into syndication also. After all she worked for it....:lol:

Meghan has also talked extensively about how hard it is to get work as a biracial actress. So I find it a stretch to believe that she would 1) give up a steady source of income and 2) pick up and go to the UK to "make it" as an actress when UK actors come to the US to make it. Plus, she'd already have made it with Suits. The only thing next would be movies and that wouldn't be happening in the UK.

She will still have money coming in from syndication, but I doubt she's leaving for greener pastures - she's done almost no press - except that one interview. And that wasn't even about future career stuff - it was about the here and now with Suits, her life, and a tiny part about Harry.

If Meghan has closed up Suits and everything else tying her to Toronto/US to move to the UK it's not for a new career. It's for Harry and hopefully it's for marriage to Harry. Otherwise that'd be crazy to give up The Tig - she made over a million a year on it.

Agree: Ms Markle has no plans to let this one get away! :lol:

I think it's the other way around: Harry is making sure 'this one' (Meghan) isn't getting away. ;) There is always one who is more into it than the other, and in this case I think that one is Harry, which must be very pleasant for Meghan, but she also has to be very careful because of that. JMO. We clearly all see differently.

BTW all the comments regarding what one does to 'advance one's career' in this business, I'm not going to engage except to say that the major difference between the UK and the L.A. situation is money. Hands down L.A. is oodles more money which is what draws actors here. But as for opportunities, those are everywhere, and Meghan is at a stage where she can parley wherever her base is. Just the way I see it, not claiming I know much of anything in the matter. ;)

Changing subjects for a minute - has Harry been sighted since the alleged tea with Meghan and HMQ? Has he been to any events since that tea happened?

Was it the Attitude awards?

I think they've had an understanding for quite some time now.

LaRae

Changing subjects for a minute - has Harry been sighted since the alleged tea with Meghan and HMQ? Has he been to any events since that tea happened?

No..she's been in Canada and he's been very visible doing events in the U.K. several times since then...and currently in Denmark on a official engagement as well.

LaRae

Right now Harry is kind of on the busy side charming the people of Denmark and if I'm not mistaken, has been to several other events rather recently. He's not holed up somewhere or out of the public eye. Check the British Royal Family Current Events thread. I think there's quite a bit there.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...current-events-9-january-2017-a-41743-22.html

I think it's the other way around: Harry is making sure 'this one' (Meghan) isn't getting away. ;) There is always one who is more into it than the other, and in this case I think that one is Harry, which must be very pleasant for Meghan, but she also has to be very careful because of that. JMO. We clearly all see differently.

BTW all the comments regarding what one does to 'advance one's career' in this business, I'm not going to engage except to say that the major difference between the UK and the L.A. situation is money. Hands down L.A. is oodles more money which is what draws actors here. But as for opportunities, those are everywhere, and Meghan is at a stage where she can parley wherever her base is. Just the way I see it, not claiming I know much of anything in the matter. ;)

Considering that Meghan has herself flown into London from Canada several times since this romance has become public and Harry has had comparatively few trips to Toronto (more difficult for him) I can't see that he is more into her than Meghan is into him at all.

Meghan did stay for quite a long time at KP with Harry and they were equally fond and affectionate with each other at the IG. It wasn't as if she was sitting stiffly, showing little emotion while he kissed her at the closing ceremony. They were looking at each other, smiling, having little chats. Both of them are equally in love as far as I can see.

And IMO LA would be the natural place for Meghan to return to if she wanted roles in TV or film. I believe that she will settle in the UK, though not for career purposes, and an engagement is imminent before the end of the year.

If Meghan was looking to continue her career (and by that I mean her acting career not a future royal one), she wouldn't move plain and simple. There is no benefit to being in London. She has said more then once the struggle of getting work as an actress. She wouldn't leave suits if she wasn't planning a move. Even if she gets money from sindication, actors don't leave good roles unless they have something to go for.

If she was after Harry to further her career, London would be dumb. Though the UK has a great movie/tv base, she would be starting from scratch again. In the US she could use her notoriety from dating Harry, to get bigger roles. It worked for Cress, and unlike Cress, Meghan isn't starting from the bottom. She already does tv movies and has done things like hosted Chopped. She wouldn't have dropped the tig, or her clothing line either. The tig, and her notoriety, she could have wrangled a show on food network or network tv. Guest spots on things like the chew and the view.

She obviously studied theater but that doesn't mean she is a great stage actress. Being a good college actress doesn't make her accomplished. For all we know she could have been the wheeping willow in wind in the willows in college plays. Or she could have been the lead role. Either way she isn't likely to land a place in a west end production in London fresh off tv.

I stand by my position he hasn't proposed yet IMO. But they have talked it, and she knows it is coming. Just waiting until done her show to take that step. When she gets to London her focus will be settling into London and into the life there with Harry, and slowly into a new role.

And even if weddings are possible during Lent, a March wedding seems far fetched at this point. Even if it is a smaller royal wedding, it takes time to plan. Even normal weddings of joe and jane regular take time to plan. Things like dresses. Like guests and their availability. Like the fact we don't know when in April Kate is due and everyone seems to think we need to be cautious about weeks around.

If Meghan was looking to continue her career (and by that I mean her acting career not a future royal one), she wouldn't move plain and simple. There is no benefit to being in London.

Not sure what you base these views on but okay. :flowers: We all see things differently.

She has said more then once the struggle of getting work as an actress. She wouldn't leave suits if she wasn't planning a move. Even if she gets money from sindication, actors don't leave good roles unless they have something to go for.

Actors leave shows all the time. :cool: It's pretty monotonous work. It can get to be a rut. Just saying.

If she was after Harry to further her career, London would be dumb. Though the UK has a great movie/tv base, she would be starting from scratch again. In the US she could use her notoriety from dating Harry, to get bigger roles. It worked for Cress, and unlike Cress, Meghan isn't starting from the bottom. She already does tv movies and has done things like hosted Chopped. She wouldn't have dropped the tig, or her clothing line either. The tig, and her notoriety, she could have wrangled a show on food network or network tv. Guest spots on things like the chew and the view.

You seem to feel you have a bead on how the business works in detail. I disagree with aspects of what you state but maybe it's impacted by different perspectives of the business. Just curious: what part of the business are you in?

:previous: I base it on my opinions as anyone else does here. Meghan is not a major celebrity, nor is she a household name as an actress in UK. She would be starting from scratch for the most part there.

If you have a reason to believe she would give up a career, a blog, clothing line and more to try acting in London, please share. I don't see you offering.

As for leaving shows....actors usually do when they have another opportunity infront of them. Majority of actors don't leave shows because they are bored. Meghan has said that she has struggled to find work as an actress in the past. She has already shut down her other two sources of income. If she was planning to quit the show and remain in acting, she wouldn't cut herself off at the knees and cut off all sources of income she has currently.

You disagree with what? Based on what? What is your inside information :ermm: If you are going to demand proof of opinions, and expertise perhaps you should be offering the same.

Peace, Countessmeout. :flowers: Not singling you out, not asking for 'credentials', just was honestly wondering. You seemed to be countering what I was suggesting (as are others) as 'not correct' so I was wondering where that perspective originates.

I am not here for arguments. Truly. This is a hobby and I intend to have fun, not gnarly back-and-forths. A lot is stated regarding the business that seems to me a bit off, from my position. Does not mean I am right and others are wrong, only that sometimes the rationales seem more like myths rather than facts. If I present my views I get sandbagged with purported facts and a higher perspective/understanding. It's kinda an interesting experience. 'Nuf said. ;)

A feeling?

Regular posters on this thread have been forthcoming and consistent with their reasonings as to why a royal engagement is nigh. Those who disagree, not so much! I would be very interested in knowing why some posters believe there is unlikely to be an engagement between Harry and Meghan. If you ‘just have a feeling’, please explain that feeling. This would make the discussion more interesting. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom