Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be interested in seeing what the guest list for William and Kate consisted of, then we might have a better idea as to the number. A good number of people at the Cambridge wedding were invited because of William's position as the future king. Some of those invited may not be necessary for Harry.

Certainly not the entire guest list but give you a sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wedding_guests_of_Prince_William_and_Catherine_Middleton

The difference is it was a semi state occasion, and there were many 'required' guests. A lot of politicians, religious figures, high military figures and so on. As well as a large showing of foreign royals. You can cut the majority of those off the list for Harry and Meghan.

The required guest list will be much smaller. Other then the family. There will be some military because of Harry but likely more Invictus and personal ones.

As for foreign royals, I don't see there being much of a turn out. Harry has no personal connection, and he isn't the future king. Other then the Greeks I'd expect the German relations, the Oettingens (Harry hunts with them and has been to their weddings) and Prince Seeiso and his wife. Any others are really a toss up.

Celebrities on both sides as Meghan is sure to invite her friends and some co-workers. The Mulroneys, some Suits costars, Serena Williams, Priyanka among others I'd expect to see. As well as some celebrities Harry has done work with through charities.

Of course there is the Spencer side of the family. Harry has masses of Spencer/Fellowes/McCorqudale cousins.

Of course there is the Spencer side of the family. Harry has masses of Spencer/Fellowes/McCorqudale cousins.

I wouldn't call 12 cousins a mass of cousins (13 but little Charlotte is likely too young to be brought). Along with the aunts/uncles, and the spouses of 2 cousins, that is a whopping 20 Spencers. Not sure any of Jane's grandchildren are old enough to attend, at least Alexander's aren't. Well and Baron Fermoy and his wife went to William's so many attend.

Thank you for sharing the list from the Cambridge's wedding Countessmeout.

I'd forgotten how extensive the guest list was for this semi-state occasion.

I would say that like William, Harry will likely invite service members that he worked with in the past. Of course we'll see Spencer family members and personal friends.

Harry's future wife would have her own family, friends and colleagues that she'd wish to invite. :flowers:

Whatever the guest list looks like, it will reflect Harry and Meghan as a couple. His friends, her friends, their friends. Most of the people that will be there will have a personal relationship to the couple rather than a church filled with "duty invites" although there are bound to be some. Even should the Trudeaus and the Obamas attend, it won't be because of governmental or political leanings but because they're personal friends of the couple.

I do think we're going to see a more up close and personal wedding than one of strict protocol with Harry's wedding. Not to say that it'll lack the pomp and circumstances as befits a member of the British royal family. I also expect to see more emotion on the faces of the bride and groom than we did with William's. Harry just can't hide his emotions. Its not in his nature. :D

Frankly, I think Meghan could wear a potato sack as a wedding dress and look radiant in it. At this point, I could care less who the designer is or what nationality the designer is. It will be pure Meghan. There are certain traditions I think they will follow such as the wedding ring being made out of Welsh gold, a sprig of myrtle from Queen Victoria's garden at Osborne House, and the laying of the bouquet at the Grave of the Unknown Warrior (should the wedding be at Westminster Abbey).

Weddings are such fun and wonderful to watch and I'm enjoying all of this immensely and we've not even had a formal official engagement announcement yet!

:previous: While there is the probability that St Georges will be used, we may very well not going to get a wedding kiss on the steps. That is too much open ground for that many of the royal family to all be together and pose on the steps so I'm guessing that the only kiss we would see would be the kiss at the end of the service. On the plus side, a bride with a cathedral train looks great (Lady Helen Taylor).

Westminster Abbey lends itself as a suitable venue if for no other reason the security services know the area well and which street grates need welding shut. It is a controllable situation for no other reason than they are used to it. On the minus side, it can make any bride that doesn't throw a suitable dress and train at it look a little insignificant and overwhelmed by the Abbey itself.

Osipi, great perspective! I am totally loving this too. Mainly because a lot of this territory is really unknown. There are some precedents we can look to, and definitely some things that will be mandatory, but with Harry's position there are a lot less "have to's" and expectations. And with Meghan there just really isn't anyone who has married into the BRF recently to really compare her to. I find that exciting!

Is a kiss really all that important? Do we really, really need one to cement this wedding? When I think about it, although Harry and Meghan have kept things pretty much under the radar and out of the public eye, one thing we *have* had is a kiss at the Invictus Games. Given that it wasn't a full blown, right dab smack on the lips kiss, but it was a kiss nevertheless. Right there and out in front and in public. That kind of cemented things for me. :D

Is a kiss really all that important? Do we really, really need one to cement this wedding? When I think about it, although Harry and Meghan have kept things pretty much under the radar and out of the public eye, one thing we *have* had is a kiss at the Invictus Games. Given that it wasn't a full blown, right dab smack on the lips kiss, but it was a kiss nevertheless. Right there and out in front and in public. That kind of cemented things for me. :D

Oh but there was an on the lips kiss! It was super blurry but it happened! I'm not sure if I remember the link I saw it. But it happened! It was quick, but cute! Let me see if I can find it.

There is no real need for the entire family to be in the kiss picture. Isnt it about the kiss? They could share a kiss as they exit the church, with their bridal party. Or they could have a select group of their families. Edward and Sophie posed with a large chunk of the family on the steps before they left in their carriage. Same could be done here.

Oh but there was an on the lips kiss! It was super blurry but it happened! I'm not sure if I remember the link I saw it. But it happened! It was quick, but cute! Let me see if I can find it.

No need to find it. I'll take your word for it. Now, when a guy kisses a girl full on the lips in the presence of her mother, you gotta know there's something serious going on there. ?

I do think that once the engagement becomes public and they're seen as a couple out and about in different places, we're going to see a lot of PDA between the two of them. These are two people that are going to revel in it and show the world how they feel about each other. I think they'll give Victoria and Daniel a run for the money. Right now V&D top my list of couples displaying their love for each other in public.

If this meeting between Harry, Meghan and the queen took place at BP it may have a bit nerve wracking for Meghan. She would have met not merely Harry's grandmother but the (ceremonial) head of state of the UK. A woman, by law, would grant permission for her grandson to marry her. This is somewhat of a job interview, or audition, if you will. Meghan probably made sure she got the protocol right (i.e. curtseying if required at that time). I know as Americans we are not suppose to curtseying or bow to a royal but if she is to marry into a royal house that function is part of the job description. Most importantly, Meghan would have to show the queen she does love Harry and she's not Wallis Simpson 2.0. The queen is of anther generation and I hope she sees that Meghan and Harry are happy together and she would an asset to the BRF.

I'm more apt to believe that if/when Meghan meets the Queen, it will be more along the lines of meeting Harry's grandmother than feeling like it was an audience with the Queen. After all, this is family and not a new ambassador presenting their credentials to the Queen.

It still would be a pretty anxious time I bet though but from everything I've read, the Queen has a knack for putting people at ease in her presence and I'd not put it past Harry to crack a joke or two.

Today, curtsying is not obligatory but is done by choice. I wouldn't be surprised if Meghan did or will curtsy to the Queen in the future as its is a way of showing respect. Americans don't *have* to do anything like curtsying or bowing but that doesn't mean that they can't if that is what they feel they want to do.

Last edited:
it may have a bit nerve wracking for Meghan.

IF this 'Tea' did take place [and the timings really don't 'add up'] I'm sure it was nerve wracking, but HMQ is a past master at putting people at their ease, and has spent all her adult life doing so. Also Prince Harry will have been there [with his warm humour] to diffuse any awkwardness..

Last edited:
Private meetings are good first steps, but public meetings and presence offer more credibility. I think this is what a lot of people are waiting on. Meghan publicly showing up to an event or place where members of Harry’s family is also attending.

Private meetings are good first steps, but public meetings and presence offer more credibility. I think this is what a lot of people are waiting on. Meghan publicly showing up to an event or place where members of Harry’s family is also attending.

I would be surprised if any of that happened in a hurry.

Actually, I don't expect Meghan to be at any event or public engagement with any other members of the BRF until after a marriage takes place. We have to remember that when members of the BRF are out and about doing engagements, its "work" and not like meeting Aunt Flo for lunch.

Most we'll see is Meghan with Harry around places but I wouldn't even speculate on that happening until after an official engagement is announced.

Actually, I don't expect Meghan to be at any event or public engagement with any other members of the BRF until after a marriage takes place. We have to remember that when members of the BRF are out and about doing engagements, its "work" and not like meeting Aunt Flo for lunch.

Most we'll see is Meghan with Harry around places but I wouldn't even speculate on that happening until after an official engagement is announced.

I could not agree more!

I agree.

Most of the types of events that we saw Catherine and Chelsy at in the past are "rites of passage" that, by nature, have already occurred for Harry. His passing out, for example.

Since there's no sign of a Eugenie/Jack marriage on the horizon, the only thing I can think of that we might see Meghan at (if they're still together but not engaged/married yet) is if Harry were to be inducted into the Order of the Garter next year.

But there's a lot of "ifs" in that scenario.

if Harry were to be inducted into the Order of the Garter next year.

Were Prince Harry to be made a Garter Knight next year it would increase the likelihood of St George's Chapel [the 'Garter Church'] being the choice of Wedding venue. #JustSaying...

Reactions: hel
Hello has a video of a motorcade that they claim is Meghan and Harry arriving back at KP after the meeting with HM. The motorcade does involve the type of vehicle that Richard Kay writes about, though of course there's no way to tell for sure.

Meghan Markle meets the Queen with Prince Harry at Buckingham Palace

I think because it's blacked out for privacy going back to KP and he states that usually the royals are not in blacked out cars. I assume they are still being discreet so as not to create any manic hysteria.

:previous: While there is the probability that St Georges will be used, we may very well not going to get a wedding kiss on the steps. That is too much open ground for that many of the royal family to all be together and pose on the steps so I'm guessing that the only kiss we would see would be the kiss at the end of the service. On the plus side, a bride with a cathedral train looks great (Lady Helen Taylor).

Westminster Abbey lends itself as a suitable venue if for no other reason the security services know the area well and which street grates need welding shut. It is a controllable situation for no other reason than they are used to it. On the minus side, it can make any bride that doesn't throw a suitable dress and train at it look a little insignificant and overwhelmed by the Abbey itself.

I would think Windsor would be fairly secure--security could shut down access like they did for Charlotte's christening and even Pippa's wedding.

Last edited:
She should definitely not wear white

I’ve read that white was not a common wedding gown color before Victoria married Albert in 1840. It is said she chose white not to symbolize purity/virginity, but because she liked the way she looked in white!

Also, we are thankfully a generation removed from the need for a virgin bride. Poor Diana had to have her previous relationships dissected to show she was pure enough for Charles to take as a bride...

I’ve read that white was not a common wedding gown color before Victoria married Albert in 1840. It is said she chose white not to symbolize purity/virginity, but because she liked the way she looked in white!

Also, we are thankfully a generation removed from the need for a virgin bride. Poor Diana had to have her previous relationships dissected to show she was pure enough for Charles to take as a bride...

Everyone woman should wear white or whatever color they choose. The fact that Diana had to be a virgin but Charles had the right to sow his oats all over the world is ridiculous. The purity police against Meghan is also ridiculous. People have the right to live and love and make mistakes and if they are lucky found their soul mate.

Were Prince Harry to be made a Garter Knight next year it would increase the likelihood of St George's Chapel [the 'Garter Church'] being the choice of Wedding venue. #JustSaying...

Why would that determine the location? The Queen's children and William are all Garter Knight. Hasn't stopped them from marrying elsewhere.

that determine the location

It didn't say it WOULD, I said it would 'increase the likelihood'... [special associations etc etc.] HMQ's Children married where they did for specific reasons, as did the DoC

It didn't say it WOULD, I said it would 'increase the likelihood'... [special associations etc etc.] HMQ's Children married where they did for specific reasons, as did the DoC

None of that increases the likelihood of St. George. It had the same chance as Harry not being a Garter Knight. Garter ceremony is garter ceremony and royal wedding is royal wedding. There is no connection between the two.

I agree. There does seem to be an established code for the royals' boyfriends/girlfriends that will be adhered to until there is an official announcement from BP. For example: Sophie and Kate were known as Edward and William's long term girlfriends, but they didn't really attend official events with the BRF until after the engagement announcement. Yes they might have been guests at private events ie: weddings, parties, etc...but never at high profile public engagements: Trooping the Color etc..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom