Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on the side that she'll be in UK as a tourist until there is an engagement. Once they are engaged, she'll likely be granted citizenship rather than go through the fiancee visa. I think all of that will be taken care of or at least very decided prior to any announcement.

That wouldn't surprise me one bit. The only limitation would be that she cannot send all ther stuff over as international moving companies don't accept you if you cannot give proof that your visa to live in that country has been approved - as customs requires proof of it. She can bring a little bit each time she hops over of course, so that would only be a problem if she was hoping to bring all her furniture and other large items etc with her. Not sure about the implications for her dogs...

Then to answer the original question you had about loyalty, yes, they would still question her loyalty to the monarch and country if she isn't a British citizen. After all, US is US, Britain is Britain. There are some things that isn't going to change.

I'm not saying she shouldn't be a British citizen.

LaRae

If Meghan is going to stay in Britain for any length of time then her two dogs will have to be placed in quarantine.

If Meghan is going to stay in Britain for any length of time then her two dogs will have to be placed in quarantine.

That's not true if they are microchipped and have the proper documentation. Plus, they are moving from a Canada, which is on the list of countries that UK accepts pet passports from. They would only be quarantined if she doesn't have the proper paperwork for them.

I'm sure Meghan will be familiar with the pet importing policies as both Bogart and Guy came from US and moved with her to Canada.

That wouldn't surprise me one bit. The only limitation would be that she cannot send all ther stuff over as international moving companies don't accept you if you cannot give proof that your visa to live in that country has been approved - as customs requires proof of it. She can bring a little bit each time she hops over of course, so that would only be a problem if she was hoping to bring all her furniture and other large items etc with her. Not sure about the implications for her dogs...

I would think her dogs would come over to live when she does.

You can enter or return to the UK with your pet cat, dog or ferret if it:

has been microchipped
has a pet passport or third-country official veterinary certificate
has been vaccinated against rabies - it will also need a blood test if you’re travelling from an ‘unlisted country’

From my understanding they don't require quarantine if you meet the requirements.

LaRae

What category do you think she is or will be applying for? A work visa is out of the question as she has no employer in the UK, a permanent 'family of a setyled person' visa one would be hard as being someone's girlfriend is not enough (being a fiancée is!). From my perspective, unless they use Harry's royal status and somehow arrange a (US) diplomatic passport for her or make exceptions on the basis of Harry's position as a prince and Meghan being his girlfriend, as long as there is no engagement, she can't apply for a permanent visa but she can apply for the 'join partner or family for long stay' (up to 6 months) but as that's only a temporary solution, she might not be allowed to move her stuff.

This is of course, if the normal rules apply for her, I am not sure that would be the case. I just hope they won't make exceptions at least until she is a royal fianceé (i.e., it has been made official that she is going to join the BRF).

I'm really of the belief that they are already engaged. An announcement will be made later.

What would be the proof of engagement needed to process a visa?

What would be the proof of engagement needed to process a visa?

I don't know if UK requires something specifically, but since engagement doesn't have a legal documentation, typically the couple would have to certify under penalty of law that they are engaged.

Is it likely Meghan could show up to the Queen's wedding anniversary celebrations or the Queen's Xmas lunch?

Unless officially engaged no. But if an engagement is announced prior to either event very possible. Kate went to the Christmas lunch in 2010 after she and William were officially engaged.

Hi guys! I'm new here. I've been lurking for a bit, debating back and forth whether I wanted to jump in. Finally decided today is the day! I will be super upfront. I am really crazy about this Meghan/Harry relationship. I've been following it pretty closely since it was announced last November (on election day! Only good piece of news out of that day in my opinion, but I digress:) ) Anyway, I've been hooked on them ever since. And I'm going to be honest a lot of my interest has to do with Meghan's background. As an African-American woman, around her age (ok a few years older. Ok four years older! :) ) I am excited to see a woman of color, an American woman of color in this position. I had the opportunity to work on the Obama O8 campaign and in the administration (no politics!) so I'm always happy to see barriers being broken. It's a shame Meghan possibly marrying into the British Royal Family is still seen as a big deal, but here we are! And Harry has always been my favorite. So it all works out! I'm not sure how it is in other parts of the US but my girlfriends and I are pretty stoked about the whole thing.

I have been reading everyone's posts, with so much awesome insight and perspective. I do have a few things I'd like to throw out there too.

First, my thought is they are engaged. I'm not sure if it happened in Africa because I think Harry might not want to do what his brother did. But then again Africa is a big place and they went to completely different countries, so that may not have been a consideration. Wherever it happened I'm betting it has happened. I just don't see her doing that VF interview or them being so very public if not.

I think they have spent more time together than the public knows. So I'm not really that concerned about the seemingly accelerated time as some. Besides being a woman of "a certain age" I know that dating in your 30's is not like dating in your 20's. Especially when you have a stated desire to have a family. You tend to be much more picky and selective about who you invest time in. I don't see Meghan or Harry wasting the better part of a year on a relationship without really thinking it through. All the obstacles and logistics. And being who Harry is that's a discussion that would need to happen pretty early on. If the end result will be someone having to leave their country and their career in order to be with you, you better believe that they have had to have some long, difficult conversations, before things went to far. The fact that they are where they are in their relationship over a year later tells me all I need to know. This is serious and most likely a lot of these issues have been discussed and/or figured out. We just don't know about it yet! LOL!

I do have some thoughts on the citizenship/Visa issue but this post is already pretty long and I don't want to wear out my welcome in the first post! LOL! So I 'll save that for its own post.

Welcome! I too am African-American and so thrilled about this relationship and can't wait to see how it unfolds!

Welcome aboard. Lots of good Meghan fans here. You’ll be in good company

Hi guys! I'm new here. I've been lurking for a bit, debating back and forth whether I wanted to jump in. Finally decided today is the day! I will be super upfront. I am really crazy about this Meghan/Harry relationship. I've been following it pretty closely since it was announced last November (on election day! Only good piece of news out of that day in my opinion, but I digress:) ) Anyway, I've been hooked on them ever since. And I'm going to be honest a lot of my interest has to do with Meghan's background. As an African-American woman, around her age (ok a few years older. Ok four years older! :) ) I am excited to see a woman of color, an American woman of color in this position. I had the opportunity to work on the Obama O8 campaign and in the administration (no politics!) so I'm always happy to see barriers being broken. It's a shame Meghan possibly marrying into the British Royal Family is still seen as a big deal, but here we are! And Harry has always been my favorite. So it all works out! I'm not sure how it is in other parts of the US but my girlfriends and I are pretty stoked about the whole thing.

I have been reading everyone's posts, with so much awesome insight and perspective. I do have a few things I'd like to throw out there too.

First, my thought is they are engaged. I'm not sure if it happened in Africa because I think Harry might not want to do what his brother did. But then again Africa is a big place and they went to completely different countries, so that may not have been a consideration. Wherever it happened I'm betting it has happened. I just don't see her doing that VF interview or them being so very public if not.

I think they have spent more time together than the public knows. So I'm not really that concerned about the seemingly accelerated time as some. Besides being a woman of "a certain age" I know that dating in your 30's is not like dating in your 20's. Especially when you have a stated desire to have a family. You tend to be much more picky and selective about who you invest time in. I don't see Meghan or Harry wasting the better part of a year on a relationship without really thinking it through. All the obstacles and logistics. And being who Harry is that's a discussion that would need to happen pretty early on. If the end result will be someone having to leave their country and their career in order to be with you, you better believe that they have had to have some long, difficult conversations, before things went to far. The fact that they are where they are in their relationship over a year later tells me all I need to know. This is serious and most likely a lot of these issues have been discussed and/or figured out. We just don't know about it yet! LOL!

I do have some thoughts on the citizenship/Visa issue but this post is already pretty long and I don't want to wear out my welcome in the first post! LOL! So I 'll save that for its own post.

Welcome to the craziness that is a bunch of folks who will most likely never meet these people but like to follow their lives...we are not creepy at all! LOL

I don't know that Harry has formally 'popped' the question yet...I do think they have figured out their relationship and know they will marry. I will be curious to see if they go to Norway again after Christmas ...that could be a very romantic venue to formally ask...and then come back after the first of the year with the big announcement.

I agree they had the important discussions early on. You don't do all the dating games when you are in your 30's. That's all been done. By this age you generally know what you want and expect. You don't waste a year on dating (if you are looking for family/marriage) someone who doesn't have the same goal in mind.

LaRae

I don't know that Harry has formally 'popped' the question yet...I do think they have figured out their relationship and know they will marry. I will be curious to see if they go to Norway again after Christmas ...that could be a very romantic venue to formally ask...and then come back after the first of the year with the big announcement.

I agree they had the important discussions early on. You don't do all the dating games when you are in your 30's. That's all been done. By this age you generally know what you want and expect. You don't waste a year on dating (if you are looking for family/marriage) someone who doesn't have the same goal in mind. LaRae

You've pretty much summed up my thoughts on the matter. :flowers: It's serious but still percolating. Not in stone...yet.

He’s also probably trying to do it with a bit of spontaneity and romance. It’s hard for it to be a surprise when Meghan looks at the news everyday and sees she supposed to be engaged already :lol:

He’s also probably trying to do it with a bit of spontaneity and romance. It’s hard for it to be a surprise when Meghan looks at the news everyday and sees she supposed to be engaged already :lol:

That's what I was alluding to in a previous post. :flowers: Letting personal choices and decisions be impacted by public perception and enthusiasm. I think Harry likely follows his own press. Just a hunch. And Meghan, being an actress, very much would be alert to her press. That is why it appears that Harry and Meghan are running their own show. They quite literally are, because they are in fact responding (in a way) to the speculations in their press coverage. JMO.

Last edited:

Hoping neither of them bother to read those things....that would make you crazy.

LaRae

Yay!!! See we do have things we agree about! :flowers::flowers: LaRae

What? :huh: Do we disagree often?

P.S. Unless someone says something very pointedly at me, and is unkind (imo) I actually don't focus on the poster, just the text. That may be a liability as I don't track on the personas. Interesting. Anyway, if we disagree a lot: Okay. ;) :cool:

Hoping neither of them bother to read those things....that would make you crazy. LaRae

But I think it's why we are seeing exactly what we are seeing: a very controlled roll-out. :flowers: For Meghan it would be business as usual. For Harry, I think it matters to him what people think. Can't be a rebel without that being in one's make-up. ;)

Last edited:

P.S. Unless someone says something very pointedly at me, and is unkind (imo) I actually don't focus on the poster, just the text. That may be a liability as I don't track on the personas. Interesting. Anyway, if we disagree a lot: Okay. ;) :cool:

No just now and then. Sometimes you don't respond when I disagree with you but it's never my intention to cause hurt feelings! :flowers:

LaRae

?
That's what I was alluding to in a previous post. :flowers: Letting personal choices and decisions be impacted by public perception and enthusiasm. I think Harry likely follows his own press. Just a hunch. And Meghan, being an actress, very much would be alert to her press. That is why it appears that Harry and Meghan are running their own show. They quite literally are, because they are in fact responding to the speculations in their press coverage. JMO.

I think you are right, which is why I think we won't be seeing or hearing much news about them as a couple until at least mid November. I'm guessing that from Harry's view point and probably Meghan's too, they gave everyone what they wanted at the Invictus Games (honestly they gave me more than I ever dreamed of! The closing ceremonies!!!!). They were together in public, very obviously a couple. They probably think that's more than enough, until there is another legitimate reason to be seen together. I mean it's not enough for me, but fot some reason, Meghan and Harry aren't planning their relationship around me. Which is kind of rude, but I'll let it slide.?

Last edited:
I think we are seeing what we are seeing (from Harry/Meghan) due to the past disaster with the BRF and the media. Creating very firm boundaries and controlling everything to the nth degree is a way to try and avoid the previous experiences.

LaRae

No just now and then. Sometimes you don't respond when I disagree with you but it's never my intention to cause hurt feelings! :flowers: LaRae

Understood. :flowers: 'Nuf said.

Last edited:

But I think it's why we are seeing exactly what we are seeing: a very controlled roll-out. :flowers: For Meghan it would be business as usual. For Harry, I think it matters to him what people think. Can't be a rebel without that being in one's make-up. ;)

I agree. I do think we are seeing a controlled roll out. And I think William and Harry learned from their mother how, if not to control the press, than to get ahead of the narrative. I have never thought Charles was press savvy.

More on alleged Cotswolds house hunting, this time from a more reputable source.

https://www.vogue.com/article/princ...lds-house-hunting-reports?mbid=social_twitter

I think you are right, which is why I think we won't be seeing or hearing much news about them as a couple until at least mid November. I'm guessing that from Harry's view point and probably Meghan's too, they gave everyone what they wanted at the Invictus Games (honestly they gave me more than I ever dreamed of! The closing ceremonies!!!!). They were together in public, very obviously a couple. They probably think that's more than enough, until there is another legitimate reason to be seen together. I mean it's not enough for me, but fot some reason, Meghan and Harry aren't planning their relationship around me. �� Which is kind of rude, but I'll let it slide.

The I.G. were awesome...almost surprising how much we did get to see them. They were throwing out all kinds of clues...like this is it folks if you can't figure things out don't know what to tell you! lol

LaRae

I think we are seeing what we are seeing (from Harry/Meghan) due to the past disaster with the BRF and the media. Creating very firm boundaries and controlling everything to the nth degree is a way to try and avoid the previous experiences.

LaRae

We'll there is that too. They haven't been the most media savvy bunch have they?

I agree. I do think we are seeing a controlled roll out. And I think William and Harry learned from their mother how, if not to control the press, than to get ahead of the narrative. I have never thought Charles was press savvy.

More on alleged Cotswolds house hunting, this time from a more reputable source.

https://www.vogue.com/article/princ...lds-house-hunting-reports?mbid=social_twitter

I haven't seen enough evidence yet to convince me 'they' are house hunting anywhere yet. All the rags are carrying basically the same info. I don't, myself, consider Vogue to be more reliable ..they are just repeating what everyone else is saying.

LaRae

Article makes a good point (quoting The Daily Mail ;) ) that it's not just Harry's preferences, it's what Meghan likes, and I could well see her opting for the Cotswolds. With the up-and-coming-and-arrived I think the atmosphere would be more comfortable for Meghan. :flowers: Yep.

Could we assume they would be looking for a rental, rather than buying?

We'll there is that too. They haven't been the most media savvy bunch have they?

No, seems to have taken them awhile to figure out the media wasn't respecting the previous boundaries of not reporting on the private lives of the BRF. Their big wake up call was the 80's ..they got a hint of it earlier but the 80's had to have been a shock to them.

LaRae

I don't think they already are engaged privately. As others said, I am quite sure they have agreed on what/where they are heading to. Once engaged, I expect it to be announced within about a month (like William and Catherine).

Around Thanksgiving comes to mind as an excellent occasion (if Harry would visit her and her family for that American holiday); they can announce sometime December and Meghan could join the royal family for the Christmas lunch in the week before Christmas :flowers: - although Harry might be looking for something less predictable (which I am sure is rather hard in his circumstances)

The Vanity Fair interview was done before the Africa trip, so even if Harry would have asked her to marry him in August, she wasn't engaged when she did the interview...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom