Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Garter ceremony is also in June, so I definitely think June is out for an additional major event.

The queen's son (Edward) got married in June. So, a June wedding is a possibility for her grandson...

The 5th-in-line's Christening will also happen in early/mid July before The Queen leaves for Balmoral. I'm not sure The Queen will want these two religious ceremonies bunched together, and overshadowing each other. I think at least a 3 week buffer between the two is preferable. It'll be a very tight squeeze to fit in everything.
The queen goes to church weekly, so she is used to religious events 'close to each other' and the christening is a small family event, so I don't see how that would be problematic at all.

And I am sure the family doesn't want to pose unnecessary barriers on Harry and Meghan by forcing them to get married several months later because that would be slightly more convenient to them (although others might start complaining that it is getting too cold :D ).

A late May wedding sounds perfect to me :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
The queen goes to church weekly, so she is used to religious events 'close to each other' and the christening is a small family event, so I don't see how that would be problematic at all.

And I am sure the family doesn't want to pose unnecessary barriers on Harry and Meghan by forcing them to get married several months later because that would be slightly more convenient to them (although others might start complaining that it is getting too cold :D ).

A late May wedding sounds perfect to me :flowers:

I presume you are jesting when you equate a once in a lifetime Christening with weekly church services. If royals thought Christenings were run of the mill, and not particularly noteworthy, they wouldn't hire official photographers like Mario Testino to mark the occasion, or use water from the River Jordan, or use a children of Queen Victoria replica christening gown for the services. Nor would they haul out the Archbishop of Canterbury for such a mundane task.

I am willing to bet that Meghan is already undergoing princess lessons and has been since that statement was released by Harry last year. There is a lot of down time on sets and she can read any kind of historical stuff then.

It wouldn't surprise me if Harry and Meghan were already engaged because they do seem very settled with one another and ready for married life; but I don't think they are. However, whilst Meghan has been seen wearing a ring (according to some articles I read by Googling "Meghan Markle news"), it could just be a ring that's not an engagement one.
I won't start to think firmly on the matter until we get something official though.

I am probably the odd man out, but I think they were privately engaged when she did that VF interview in June. It did not come out until Sep. and things have moved fast since then. Whenever Suits wraps she will be in London the next day. That gives her over a month to hire movers, arrange to have her dogs moved, She can appoint someone to finish closing things down in Canada. She is not going to be separated from Harry any longer than necessary. She has a lot of friends to help.

I am probably the odd man out, but I think they were privately engaged when she did that VF interview in June. It did not come out until Sep. and things have moved fast since then. Whenever Suits wraps she will be in London the next day. That gives her over a month to hire movers, arrange to have her dogs moved, She can appoint someone to finish closing things down in Canada. She is not going to be separated from Harry any longer than necessary. She has a lot of friends to help.

I think so too. I've thought since then that they're just waiting for her filming to wrap.

Personally I dont think individual family events (births, birthdays, christenings, etc) are as much a consideration as state visits and govt obligations. Govt and Royal calendars are scheduled 6+ months in advance. HM and Charles calendars are very busy - especially with C & C visits abroad- not to mention Harry's calendar himself. I am firm believer in that we (the public) will be the last to know (which is really as it should be). I would expect an engagement announcement early December (after Suits has finished, after HM/ DOE anniv and before Christmas - if only so that Meghan can have a role and invite over the holidays at some of the family events.

I expect the wedding to be either at the beginning or end of the royal 'season' - April or late July. Venue may influence decision; a wedding in London (WA) requires more govt coordination, regiment rehearsal, etc (state opening of parliament was significantly modified when moved at the last minute), than Windsor (SGC). The BRF are expert planners, Im sure they have this all on point.

I presume you are jesting when you equate a once in a lifetime Christening with weekly church services. If royals thought Christenings were run of the mill, and not particularly noteworthy, they wouldn't hire official photographers like Mario Testino to mark the occasion, or use water from the River Jordan, or use a children of Queen Victoria replica christening gown for the services. Nor would they haul out the Archbishop of Canterbury for such a mundane task.

I was just trying to say it is perfectly possible to have a wedding (a quite large affair) and a christening service (a very small affair; of the royal family only the children, parents, grandparents and brothers and sister of the baby's parents are invited) close to each other. Of course, a christening service is a very special service among other church services but I don't see how there would be a problem of one overshadowing the other (in my family we had christening services on two consecutive Sundays, which was perfect as that meant that I could attend both!). Two beautiful occasions in one family sounds perfect to me!

It would be quite absurd in my opinion if Harry and Meghan couldn't get married between March and September because William and Catherine are having a child (probably in April) that also will be christened (probably in July). The birth is definitely something to schedule around, the christening can easily be scheduled around the wedding instead of the other way around.

In some cases (for example the christening of prince Gabriel) royal families pick christening dates close to another main event (the Nobelprizes in Sweden) which reduces travel for family members living abroad.

Miss Whirley, how did you find Diana's engagements. I am in the boat that thinks they are already betrothed.

I also agree that it is absurd that Meghan and Harry can't get married due to Wills and Kate having a kid and to delay the wedding while Kate "recovers" is more absurd still.

I was just trying to say it is perfectly possible to have a wedding (a quite large affair) and a christening service (a very small affair; of the royal family only the children, parents, grandparents and brothers and sister of the baby's parents are invited) close to each other. Of course, a christening service is a very special service among other church services but I don't see how there would be a problem of one overshadowing the other (in my family we had christening services on two consecutive Sundays, which was perfect as that meant that I could attend both!). Two beautiful occasions in one family sounds perfect to me!

It would be quite absurd in my opinion if Harry and Meghan couldn't get married between March and September because William and Catherine are having a child (probably in April) that also will be christened (probably in July). The birth is definitely something to schedule around, the christening can easily be scheduled around the wedding instead of the other way around.

In some cases (for example the christening of prince Gabriel) royal families pick christening dates close to another main event (the Nobelprizes in Sweden) which reduces travel for family members living abroad.

You're free to believe that Harry's wedding and the 5th-in-line Christening will/should happen on consecutive weekends or even just a few days apart. I've just explained why I wouldn't bet on it.

As for Prince Gabriel, it's true his aunt lives in London (and she'll probably be his godmother) but last time I checked that isn't a concern for baby Cambridge as his/her family are all local. That might be a good idea though if Meghan and Harry ever have children as the Markles will have a long commute.

Miss Whirley, how did you find Diana's engagements. I am in the boat that thinks they are already betrothed.

There's a Diana forum on this site, in there you will find a thread about her documented engagements. :flowers:

You're free to believe that Harry's wedding and the 5th-in-line Christening will/should happen on consecutive weekends or even just a few days apart. I've just explained why I wouldn't bet on it.

As for Prince Gabriel, it's true his aunt lives in London (and she'll probably be his godmother) but last time I checked that isn't a concern for baby Cambridge as his/her family are all local. That might be a good idea though if Meghan and Harry ever have children as the Markles will have a long commute.

You are still misrepresenting my ideas. I am not saying it should happen on consecutive weekends, I am just saying that it is not a problem if that would end up being the case, while you implieded that these events should be at least 3 weeks apart. I am mainly advocating that it would not be a reason to postpone a wedding for months... especially since other royal houses are clearly able to pull of combining a christening and their biggest event of the year.

You are still misrepresenting my ideas. I am not saying it should happen on consecutive weekends, I am just saying that it is not a problem if that would end up being the case, while you implieded that these events should be at least 3 weeks apart. I am mainly advocating that it would not be a reason to postpone a wedding for months... especially since other royal houses are clearly able to pull of combining a christening and their biggest event of the year.

I thought I was being generous by suggesting a 3 week buffer, Andrew's christening and Margaret's wedding had a 4 week buffer.:lol: I base my opinions on previous happenings.

Again, you're free to believe that the two might occur back-to-back. Just like others are free to believe that the wedding will happen in August/September while the Queen is in Balmoral, that she'll make a special day trip down to England just for it. I just don't subscribe to that notion.

I think so too. I've thought since then that they're just waiting for her filming to wrap.

I agree too! And I think there are only a few other events that a wedding would absolutely have to be planned around

Last edited:
For all we know, Harry and Meghan could have known a year ago that they would eventually marry and things have been geared towards making it a reality as the time passed. There were just things in place that had to be worked through and finished before anything "official" happens.

When they decided they would marry or even became privately engaged with only family and friends knowing about it, we'll probably never know. Nothing is "official" and set in stone though until there is a formal announcement and that is what we're waiting for.

We could wake up tomorrow morning with an announcement (very unlikely until after Suits contract is up IMO) or they could announce it 6 months from now. We all do seem to be in agreement though that there *will* be an announcement though. :D

One thing we haven't addressed: is Meghan still a UN ambassador and if she is, what happens with that when she and Harry engage and get married?

Could it be Meghan would have to give up being a UN ambassador so as maybe not to overshadow Kate and other BRF royals?

I really don't see a problem with that. There are many royals that are affiliated with the UN and different programs. Its something that Meghan would be able to continue with. I think it would all depend on how political the areas she's involved with are.

For all we know, Harry and Meghan could have known a year ago that they would eventually marry and things have been geared towards making it a reality as the time passed. There were just things in place that had to be worked through and finished before anything "official" happens.

When they decided they would marry or even became privately engaged with only family and friends knowing about it, we'll probably never know. Nothing is "official" and set in stone though until there is a formal announcement and that is what we're waiting for.

We could wake up tomorrow morning with an announcement (very unlikely until after Suits contract is up IMO) or they could announce it 6 months from now. We all do seem to be in agreement though that there *will* be an announcement though. :D

Oh, I'm not counting any chickens until they're hatched.

I remember people being convinced Harry and Chelsy were going to announce an engagement after she attended his army pilot graduation, even people on this site were betting their left arm that the two would get engaged before William and Catherine. Some similar but less intense murmurings happened when Cressida attended We Day and sat next to Harry. Or when Harry attended the birthday party of Cressida's sister and everyone said how much he loved Cressida's family.

Same for Richard and Zara, when they did a magazine photoshoot together in 2002, even the BBC was reporting an imminent engagement. Or Beatrice and Dave appearing all over the world together including Royal Ascot.

When it comes to Harry and Meghan (also Jack and Eugenie), I wouldn't be surprised if they announced an engagement tomorrow or a year from now. Just like I wouldn't be surprised if they announced a split tomorrow or a year from now.

Last edited:
Another reason we haven't discussed here is Suits airing schedule. I know she finishes filming late November, but it doesn't finish airing then. Season 6, which had the same number of episodes as season 7 finished airing March 1, 2017. I'm expecting the airing of the last episodes of Suits to be around then. Would it really be good for an engagement to be announced while it's still airing? The papers have made it a hobby to write an article about the episode recapping what Harry's girlfriend did even though it's really her character. Do they really want to go through that once she is announced as Prince Harry's fiancée?

There are still people in Britain that doesn't know a lot about her. Do they want that to be part of the narrative at the very beginning?

Just to be clear, I'm not saying they won't get engaged until then. But would they announce it before then?

Last edited:
Another reason we haven't discussed here is Suits airing schedule. I know she finishes filming late November, but it doesn't finish airing then. Season 6, which had the same number of episodes as season 7 finished airing March 1, 2017. I'm expecting the airing of the last episodes of Suits to be around then. Would it really be good for an engagement to be announced while it's still airing? The papers have made it a hobby to write an article about the episode recapping what Harry's girlfriend did even though it's really her character. Do they really want to go through that once she is announced as Prince Harry's fiancée?

There are still people in Britain that doesn't know a lot about her. Do they want that to be part of the narrative at the very beginning?

Several of us have been saying for awhile now-engagement after filming is done, wedding after final episode airs.

I thought that I read on this thread that filming for Suits finished on November 15th? That doesn't mean of course that she will herself be filming until that time.

I don't see why not? As long as she's done filming and done with the show I don't think it would matter about the show airing..after all it may air in reruns for years.

LaRae

Oh, I'm not counting any chickens until they're hatched.

I remember people being convinced Harry and Chelsy were going to announce an engagement after she attended his army pilot graduation, even people on this site were betting their left arm that the two would get engaged before William and Catherine. Some similar but less intense murmurings happened when Cressida attended We Day and sat next to Harry. Or when Harry attended the birthday party of Cressida's sister and everyone said how much he loved Cressida's family.

Same for Richard and Zara, when they did a magazine photoshoot together in 2002, even the BBC was reporting an imminent engagement. Or Beatrice and Dave appearing all over the world together including Royal Ascot.

When it comes to Harry and Meghan (also Jack and Eugenie), I wouldn't be surprised if they announced an engagement tomorrow or a year from now. Just like I wouldn't be surprised if they announced a split tomorrow or a year from now.

I thought Harry and Chelsy might go the distance, but never thought during their time together that an engagement was imminent. They were too young and had military training and grad school going towards the end.
I never thought Cressida was the one.
This relationship seems more mature and settled.

I agree with Pranter. The final airing date most likely will have no impact on an engagement announcement or a wedding date. Its Meghan's contract with Suits that matters.

Suits most likely will continue on into an 8th season. With a program being on for so long and especially because its on the USA channel, it most likely will be going into syndication which could mean that Harry and Meghan's children at 10 years old could turn on the TV and watch their mother's acting career with Suits. The program Law and Order first aired in 1990 and those reruns are still going very strong in syndication 27 years later. :D

I never thought H&C would make it...too volatile and immature. The situation with Cressie never seemed right either, she seemed a bit immature and wanted a career... and I don't think Harry was in a good place either.

LaRae

I don't see why not? As long as she's done filming and done with the show I don't think it would matter about the show airing..after all it may air in reruns for years.

LaRae

If these are new episodes, they tend to garner more attention. It's unlikely to make headlines if it's a rerun and the original airing happened while she was on their radar. Original airing is new, reruns are just old. My question is this will be the period where some British people get to know her, do they really want that to pop up as royal fiancée does this and that? And then only in fine print to clarify it's in a show? We saw what kind of damage that could do when the news first broke they were dating.

I wonder who Meghan's Matron/Maid of honor will be. Will it be Jessica or her other bestie, Lindsay.

She could go the Diana route and not have one. And does anyone know why Diana did not have one?

I just don't believe that an American TV show will have any kind of an impact on whether or not Harry and Meghan announce an engagement or set a wedding date. The publicity garnered by her "last performance" probably will never even cross their minds. These are two people going ahead with their lives and they're certainly not going to base it on what headlines *may* say.

Thinking about it, if Harry and Meghan had to work around so many dates that just wouldn't work in the UK and then add her performances dates being aired from her old contract, these two would probably just throw up their arms in the air, scream, and head to Vegas and get married by an Elvis impersonator.

Evidently in the UK it is common to use children for attendants ...there's usually one woman in the party that oversees the kids....kinda like what Kate did at Pippa's wedding.

LaRae

If these are new episodes, they tend to garner more attention. It's unlikely to make headlines if it's a rerun and the original airing happened while she was on their radar. Original airing is new, reruns are just old. My question is this will be the period where some British people get to know her, do they really want that to pop up as royal fiancée does this and that? And then only in fine print to clarify it's in a show? We saw what kind of damage that could do when the news first broke they were dating.

The public et al knew Kate quite well..didn't seem to do her any favors..just more time to try and trash her.

I don't think it will make any difference about a fairly unknown American/Canadian TV show. If they had concerns about the show (they being Harry and the family etc) he wouldn't be in a long term relationship with her let alone marrying her.

The show is really old news now...a new season really isn't that big of a deal.

LaRae

I just don't believe that an American TV show will have any kind of an impact on whether or not Harry and Meghan announce an engagement or set a wedding date. The publicity garnered by her "last performance" probably will never even cross their minds. These are two people going ahead with their lives and they're certainly not going to base it on what headlines *may* say.

Thinking about it, if Harry and Meghan had to work around so many dates that just wouldn't work in the UK and then add her performances dates being aired from her old contract, these two would probably just throw up their arms in the air, scream, and head to Vegas and get married by an Elvis impersonator.
They have plenty of dates they could get married in. And new episodes of Suits with her in it will only air until late February/early March. Which isn't that far off.

The public et al knew Kate quite well..didn't seem to do her any favors..just more time to try and trash her.

I don't think it will make any difference about a fairly unknown American/Canadian TV show. If they had concerns about the show (they being Harry and the family etc) he wouldn't be in a long term relationship with her let alone marrying her.

The show is really old news now...a new season really isn't that big of a deal.

LaRae
The public thinks they know Kate. What did people really know about the person before their engagement? They haven't even heard her voice. Plus, a good start doesn't mean they won't hate, but that doesn't mean one shouldn't try for the best start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom