Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am continually surprised that this interests so many. He is not an heir to a throne, a minor royal. Who knows what they will do, they may have broken up already. Is it because he is Diana's son or just people antsy for a love story?

I am continually surprised that this interests so many. He is not an heir to a throne, a minor royal. Who knows what they will do, they may have broken up already. Is it because he is Diana's son or just people antsy for a love story?

How about he's just a likable person? And he's far from minor royal. Considering how many royal activities the BRF undertakes and the fact that Charles only has two sons, he'll be prominent for years to come. And how does that lead to they could've broken up already? Especially since a competitor asked him this morning how his girlfriend is liking the game, and he responded by saying she's loving it.

How about he's just a likable person? And he's far from minor royal. Considering how many royal activities the BRF undertakes and the fact that Charles only has two sons, he'll be prominent for years to come. And how does that lead to they could've broken up already? Especially since a competitor asked him this morning how his girlfriend is liking the game, and he responded by saying she's loving it.

Agreed. You can call Harry a lot of things, but a minor royal isn't one of them, lol. He's fifth in line to the throne. He's currently in Toronto right now hosting The Invictus Games - a huge event.

And yeah - given how Meghan and Harry just showed up hand in hand to a tennis match and Harry was just quoted as you said - it's highly doubtful that they've broken up.

I think much of the interest in them is because Harry is a MAJOR royal - he's one of Diana's two sons and prior to Will marrying Kate, he was 3rd in line to the throne. Plus, people love romance and weddings. Plus, Meghan is an interesting person in her own right... she was the most searched person of 2016 on Google (probably all happened after the KP announcement). Amazing.

I'm sure H&M both knew where things were heading, as most couples in love do. And like most couples, the guy was intent upon making the actual proposal special and unexpected in terms of timing. Meghan surely was not surprised that he asked, but was surely delighted at the venue and the specialness of the moment. I do not think it's a coincidence that Meghan was wearing a Misha Nonoo-designed white shirt named "The Husband," during her first casually official public outing with Harry at the Invictus Games. If H&M actually did first briefly meet during a charity event for 2017 Invictus Games, then their relationship has come full circle.

Could someone please tell me what the heck is a *Husband Shirt*? I have never heard that before in my entire life and it seems silly to call a shirt *A Husband Shirt* or is it one of Harry's shirts that she is wearing?

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: M. Payton, you asked that same question earlier and someone here already answered it, so you must have missed it. The shirt is designed by Meghan's designer friend, Misha Nonoo, and the shirt design is called, "The Husband," which is likely a reference to ladies sometimes wearing the oversized shirts of their husbands or boyfriends. The person who already answered this question did a better job of it than me, but I don't remember how many pages ago it was already answered. :flowers:

:lol: Meghan and Harry were just out and about together two days ago, looking very comfy and intimate publicly. Meghan is reportedly currently staying with Harry at a swanky Toronto hotel, where he's residing for the duration of the Invictus Games. More than likely Meghan will appear again at the closing ceremonies. The question @Frelinghighness is, Why are some people seemingly unhappy about M&H being happy together? ? Is your thought that they 'may have broken up already' wishful thinking? :lol:

So then what about all the May/June texting and being giddy about a prince texting her? It all works. :flowers:

? Thanks to @Jacqui for pointing out that the print version of VF contained the May 2016 date reference, and that it was the online VF version which cited a 'July 2016' correction. To be honest, I tend to think that H&M might have met briefly in May 2016. It has been said though that when Harry was in Toronto in May 2016 promoting Invictus, Meghan was traveling and thus out of town.

I have previously expressed my opinion that if the official word Meghan prefers to put out is that she met Harry in July 2016, then possibly Harry was in touch with her via social media at some point in May and/or June 2016. Since they do have mutual friends in common, and Harry is known to be a user of social media, he may have first set eyes on Meghan via Twitter or Instagram or Facebook. Also, he may have seen Meghan on Suits and possibly looked her up on social media, and then realized that they share mutual friends. Details and possibilities like these will never be confirmed by the principals. It's important to note though that Meghan is also quoted in the VF article as stating that she and Harry were quietly dating for about six months before their relationship became public (and it became public in early November 2016). As I said before, counting back six months or even five months from early November would land us in early to late May 2016.

The other awkward factor that could signal why Meghan cites first meeting Harry in July 2016, is that she was still involved with her former boyfriend of two years as late as April and possibly into at least early May 2016.

So whether or not H&M met briefly in May 2016 and thereafter began communicating via text, and eventually arranged to more formally meet up again in early July 2016 (as mutually planned by both of them and facilitated by Markus Anderson), is a conundrum that is unlikely to be officially cleared up. I read that one of the early revolving supporting actors on Suits had gossiped that H&M met in May 2016. Suffice to say that H&M's relationship took off after Wimbledon and gained solid footing around mid-July 2016. Meghan was traveling in Spain with Misha Nonoo and Markus Anderson in August 2016. And in September 2016, there are reports that Harry took Meghan to Birkhall to meet Prince Charles. It's also reported in H&M relationship timeline articles that Harry and Meghan visited the Cotswolds region of Britain in October 2016.

Last edited:
Thank you very much Maia for letting me know. Your right I did miss it and now I know that I need new glasses .......and here I thought she was wearing Harry's shirt....LOL

I think one of the royal reporters tweeted that the Husband shirt was "like a man's shirt, but with darts".

I'm honestly not convinced she meant anything by it, btw.. I think she just likes the shirt a lot, since there are other pics of her in it. In one on her IG, she described it as her "very favorite button down". I think she just picked something that she feels good in.

Thank you very much Maia for letting me know. Your right I did miss it and now I know that I need new glasses .......and here I thought she was wearing Harry's shirt....LOL

:previous: :lol: You should look for the better explanation here about the shirt. Designers are always coming up with clever ideas. In fact, the designers of the Finlay & Co sunglasses worn by a number of royals and celebrities, started their business on the basis of clever ideas. The story is nicely described in a recent DF article, wherein it is indicated that after Meghan was seen wearing Finlay & Co. eye wear their website crashed with a deluge of orders for the same sunglasses. Additional media outlets are also carrying the story:
Finlay & Co make £20K after Meghan Markle wears shades | Daily Mail Online A fascinating entrepreneurial success story

Finlay & Co made $37k overnight after Meghan Markle wears sunglasses - NZ Herald

Judging by her Instagram, she was in London in late June through early July (that didn't sound creepy of me at all:whistling:). It's likely when they met and started spending time together. Counting July and October (Camilla Tominey's report came out right around the time of Halloween), that's about 4 months. She rounded.

Rounding 4 months to 6 months, sounds like too much of a stretch to me. ? If Meghan intends July 2016 to be known as their official meeting date, then her saying they dated quietly for about 6 months before their relationship became public, seems to be some kind of Freudian slip signifying the true actuality. Or, she just purposely intends July 2016 to be known as the time they officially began dating, but she neglected to do accurate math about when their relationship became public, which was in early November 2016, which would mean they were dating quietly for 4 months.

Since whatever communication that may have been going on between H&M in May or June 2016, was not solid or official between them, I'm okay with July 2016 being stated as when they first met. But then VF needs to also correct 'dating quietly for about 6 months' to 'about 4 months.' It's possible they never met in person prior to early July 2016, but then I'm skeptical that they were never in communication before then.

Last edited:
:previous:
Never to late to learn something new even in the world of fashion.....even though Meghan wore the shirt for me, it is a sloppy look then I am not of this young generation so guess you could say I am not *in*.........:lol::lol: I am just ole fashioned....:whistling:

You think they've broken up since being photographed holding hands at Invictus on Monday? That's... interesting.
I think they're comfortable, committed and ready to roll out the relationship to the public.

Someone, not on this forum, blasted her for wearing that shirt and asked why she didn't wear an Invictus top or t-shirt like Harry.

As the tone of that post was overwhelmingly critical I thought to myself 'What a time you and your little playmates would have had then. As well as the single shred in her jeans we would have had 'What has SHE ever done for Invictus except try and grab PR for herself and shadow the athletes! How dare she try and take over her boyfriend's cause, etc etc'.

Talk about damned if you don't and damned if you do! One single 'disrespectful' hole in Meghan's jeans has already caused a blizzard of posts. A Invictus t-shirt would mean an avalanche!

Last edited:

This was my reply to you back on page 77 when you asked the first time

Most designers give names to their designs, nothing strange there.

The shirt belongs to a line of clothes meant to be work clothes for women. The designer's website calls the shirt the answer to the search for the perfect white button down shirt. The name is meant to be a quirky play on the old idea of a wife borrowing her husband's shirt. The sexy idea of a wife wearing her husband's top (and usually little else) taken from the bedroom into the board room. But instead of wearing a man's shirt, a shirt designed for women, but with some of the style principles of a man's shirt.

... BTW there is a small European country that has a Princess of color, is it Lichtenstein? One of the princes married an African? Anyone know who that is?

As someone already noted, it's Princess Angela of Liechtenstein, whose parents are Bermudan, but Angela was raised in New York. She's a fashion designer who met Prince Maximilian when he was studying in New York. There's a Liechtenstein royal family thread on TRF for more information. The family is exceedingly independently wealthy, and thus can afford to maintain strict privacy. Their son Prince Alfons, who is now a teenager, has rarely been photographed since he was a young child.

Meanwhile interestingly, Princess Angela is 11 years older than Prince Max, but there doesn't appear to be that much of an age difference when you see pictures of them. They looked happy on their wedding day in January 2000. ❤️ Wiki is our friend, as are Google, and Youtube, where there's a delightful & fanciful video montage of Angela & Max, entitled “Your Prince Will Come.” ;) ? Like Harry, Max is also a second royal son, except his father has already inherited the throne and he gave full consent to the marriage, although there were reports of some older family members' disapproval of the union.

There are a number of other ladies of African-related ancestry who have married into European royalty or aristocracy. Meghan will not be the first, just perhaps the more highest profile in the past 250+ years. ;)

Great summation, MaiaMia. :flowers: Many thanks. Clears up a lot, and makes what can look 'fast' actually more understandable. Totally makes sense. The timeline makes the apparent intensity of the relationship far less inexplicable. I now see that they could very well be already engaged as some are indicating. Okay...

When you meet your soul mate, things can tend to progress quickly, especially when neither of you are spring chickens. :lol: I think Meghan and Harry are wisely proceeding at their own pace and thinking about each other, and not about any clamoring by the media, paps, and royal fans/ onlookers. :twohearts:

Last edited by a moderator:
You think they've broken up since being photographed holding hands at Invictus on Monday? That's... interesting.
I think they're comfortable, committed and ready to roll out the relationship to the public.

Absolutely, Anglophile. And, as one of the only two sons of the POW, Harry is very far from being a minor Royal.

This was my reply to you back on page 77 when you asked the first time

My apologizes for missing your response to my question. I did not read that far back after not being around a lot lately. It still puzzles me about the name yet being of another generation I really don't keep up with all the changes in ladies clothing anymore for it baffles me how far things have changed from my day to this day and age......:lol:

Regarding the question of when H&M met and how long they've been involved--Thinking over the various reports, it seems possible they briefly met at some event in May, Harry was intrigued- got her number from a mutual friend, pursued her, they met up through mutual friends when she was in London for Wimbledon and it evolved from there. Seems straightforward to me.

:previous: That's actually how it seems to me as well. However, it's far from straightforward with all the rumors floating around. And the errors and misstatements in the VF article have only added to the confusion. It's none of our business of course. And I doubt it's of any worry or concern to H&M either. They've found each other, and that's what matters.

It's just that if they met briefly in May 2016, or even if they didn't meet but they somehow began communicating via text and social media first, that's a detail they may not be interested in discussing. I don't think there's any doubt that they actually began dating officially in July 2016. But once again, either VF inaccurately quoted Meghan, or else her math was off, or else H&M were in touch with each other in May and June prior to meeting at Soho House London, in July 2016.

Someone, not on this forum, blasted her for wearing that shirt and asked why she didn't wear an Invictus top or t-shirt like Harry.

As the tone of that post was overwhelmingly critical I thought to myself 'What a time you and your little playmates would have had then. As well as the single shred in her jeans we would have had 'What has SHE ever done for Invictus except try and grab PR for herself and shadow the athletes! How dare she try and take over her boyfriend's cause, etc etc'.

Talk about damned if you don't and damned if you do! One single 'disrespectful' hole in Meghan's jeans has already caused a blizzard of posts. A Invictus t-shirt would mean an avalanche!

It seems to me like jealousy, and like people wondering why Harry picked Meghan, and how Meghan 'landed' a royal prince. ?

I think the direct and simple answer is that neither of them were trying. They were each just living their lives, and their paths were fated to cross. I also feel that they are both genuinely down-to-earth, caring young people who have met their match in each other fortuitously. I wonder why some of us are seemingly unwilling to accept 'a great love story'?

Another thing I feel certain of is that Harry is not caught up with being a prince, and he conveyed that to Meghan, and he also reassured her that he was seriously interested in getting to know her. It seems to me that she wasn't keen on falling at his feet like a fangirl, even though it was likely pleasantly daunting at first to find herself being courted by royalty. She probably wasn't sure how serious he was at first.

Once they had a chance to spend time together, I would imagine that it became just about Meghan and Harry, and not about successful television actor Meghan Markle, and HRH Prince Henry of Wales. I mean Harry could be a car salesman or a rugby player and they would still be soul mates, but without all the gawking and the royal fanfare.

Last edited:
Regarding the question of when H&M met and how long they've been involved--Thinking over the various reports, it seems possible they briefly met at some event in May, Harry was intrigued- got her number from a mutual friend, pursued her, they met up through mutual friends when she was in London for Wimbledon and it evolved from there. Seems straightforward to me.

Agreed :flowers:

There is a reason both stories seem to have a ring of truth IMO. Because they are.

Harry was in Toronto in May and met Meghan at a party. She would likely be invited due to her friendship with the likes of Sophie Trudeau. Harry flirted with her a bit and they exchanged phone numbers. But other then text messages, it never went farther then that. Meghan likely didn't take it too seriously. Harry has a bit of a reputation for being a playboy.

Then later in July she was in London. They met up for lunch at the restaurant run by a friend of them both. Perhaps the friend had heard about the texts and tried to give a gentle nudge. Perhaps it was accidental? Who knows. And that is where her and Harry really started into dating.

There was an open question posed about why the interest in Meghan and Harry. My answer is pretty straightforward and superficial: I like weddings and love looking at all the fashion choices. That's it. :flowers:

Why the interest in Meghan and Harry?

For me it's been a long long time since I've seen Harry so obviously joyfully content and happy, probably not since the early Chelsy years. We in the 'fandom' as it was then hoped and dreamed that Harry and Chelsy would settle down and marry eventually, but it was all too much too soon. People still missed seeing the two of them together years later.

I quite liked Cressida Bonas, and while others had different opinions I do think they loved each other. However, the pressure of Twitter, Tumblr, the public got too much and they split. Afterwards Harry seemed a bit lost.

Then, last year came Meghan. She was in a profession which meant she was used to the public eye. 'Good', I thought, 'someone who can put up with all the crap and is interesting, beautiful, educated and accomplished'. I have been following the two of them with a lot of interest, (and frustration because there have been few photos of them together.)

I read a remark on a Twitter page that when Meghan was there at the IG opening ceremony Harry would be stealing little glances at her seated as she was with Markus. His eyes followed her apparently, as she left. Ain't love grand!

For Harry and Meghan I hope for marriage, happiness and a long life together, with children, and with causes where they can truly make a difference.
That's why I'm interested.

Last edited:
Agreed :flowers:

There is a reason both stories seem to have a ring of truth IMO. Because they are.

Harry was in Toronto in May and met Meghan at a party. She would likely be invited due to her friendship with the likes of Sophie Trudeau. Harry flirted with her a bit and they exchanged phone numbers. But other then text messages, it never went farther then that. Meghan likely didn't take it too seriously. Harry has a bit of a reputation for being a playboy.

Then later in July she was in London. They met up for lunch at the restaurant run by a friend of them both. Perhaps the friend had heard about the texts and tried to give a gentle nudge. Perhaps it was accidental? Who knows. And that is where her and Harry really started into dating.

We don't know for certain whether they met beforehand in May, but it seems highly likely and there's certainly been a lot of gossip about it. However, people could be gossiping from inferring that they met simply because Harry was in Toronto in May. However, Meghan may not have been in Toronto at the same time. To me, there seems to be truth to the rumors that Harry was texting Meghan, so they either met briefly, or like I said before, he saw her on Suits, or he came across her on social media and became intrigued, and then noticed that they had mutual friends.

Your scenario seems plausible as well, although if Harry was texting Meghan, the rumors are that they discussed meeting up when Meghan was next in London, which was late June through early July when she planned to attend Wimbledon as a guest of Serena Williams. It's also possible that supporting cast and some crew members on Suits may have overheard Meghan discussing Harry's interest in her during May and June, and they may have assumed that she'd met him, when once again he may have first made contact via text and social media.

I initially thought they happened to casually meet by chance at Soho House in London at the end of June via introduction by Markus Anderson. Now, I think there's much more to it than that. There was some kind of contact between them beforehand, whether or not they actually met briefly prior to July. I think previous contact before July is especially likely since they share mutual friends.

There was an open question posed about why the interest in Meghan and Harry. My answer is pretty straightforward and superficial: I like weddings and love looking at all the fashion choices. That's it. :flowers:

Well my interest in Harry stems from the fact that I have been following the British royals for awhile, and I've read a number of books. I was very interested in Diana when she first came on the scene. And I was fascinated by her royal wedding. It was such a happy experience watching the tape of her wedding. However, that was the gaudy 1980s and it was proven to be an overblown, misguided fairytale. Then came the tragic 1990s, and the knight-in-shining armor fairytale myth was blown to smithereens for all time. What remains is Diana's genuine-hearted kindness and her love for her sons. And the admonition to be your own champion. If you wish to indulge in good time fairy tales about living happily ever after, recognize the fallacies and take it all with a huge grain of salt.

I can remember when Prince Harry was born, and so it's nice to see him find love. I was happy for William and Kate too, but I didn't follow them as closely. I'm more interested now because Meghan is American and an actor, which is unusual for someone dating a British royal prince. My interest would stop there, except that once I began to read about Meghan's background, and I read some of her writings and saw her interviews and watched her Suits trajectory, and above all viewed her delightful Instagram posts, I became very impressed by her personality, and her articulateness, and her genuine warmth, her love for rescue dogs, her sense of humor, and her spirited desire to encourage others in need.

I like the 'freckled goddess' meets 'bearded fool' variety of love story. H&M met on equal terms and fearlessly bared their hearts to each other and filled the empty spaces and recognized themselves in each other, and were buoyed by their mutual desire to encourage others and to use their status and success as a platform to benefit those in need.

Last edited:
Please note that the thread has been tidied up.
The discussion about the domestic arrangements of Meghan's mother has been removed because a similar discussion a few weeks ago was also removed. Posts alluding to William and Catherine's relationship in comparison to Harry and Meghan's (or deemed to allude to it) have also been edited/removed.

I think they are antsy for a royal wedding!
I honestly don't care about their love story, I only care about the wedding.

After Harry, there probably won't be another full-scale royal wedding for decades, unless maybe the York girls marry.

But even then, the marriages will probably be more low-key.

So- Harry is IT- until the Cambridge children grow up.

Well I care about their love story and that's partly because I see Harry as the most likable and engaging member of the BRF. I'm interested in seeing him find happiness and build his own family and legacy. Meghan, being interesting in her own right, makes their romance even more appealing to me.

I think it unfortunate that the British people where initially given a highly prejudiced view of Meghan first with the Gangs of Compton story, the story about her slave ancestors and the royal family visiting for tea, then the Porn story which suggested that MM was a porn star even though it was a scene from her PG-13 show on basic cable.

I think it's unfortunate that anyone would judge her or see her as less than because of her ancestry or where she may have grown up. Neither of these things would make her less worthy of being pursued or loved by Harry. Meghan herself has touched on her slave ancestry, I don't think it's something she would be ashamed of, nor should she. And to be clear, I absolutely believe the tabloids should be called on playing up certain stereotypes. But if people read those particular stories and developed a negative perception of her, then I think that says more about them than Meghan.

Last edited:
Well I care about their love story and that's partly because I see Harry as the most likable and engaging member of the BRF. I'm interested in seeing him find happiness and build his own family and legacy. Meghan, being interesting in her own right, makes their romance even more appealing to me.

I think it's unfortunate that anyone would judge her or see her as less than because of her ancestry or where she may have grown up. Neither of these things would make her less worthy of being pursued or loved by Harry. Meghan herself has touched on her slave ancestry, I don't think it's something she would be ashamed of, nor should she. And to be clear, I absolutely believe the tabloids should be called on playing up certain stereotypes. But if people read those particular stories and developed a negative perception of her, then I think that says more about them than Meghan.

So true her slave ancestry is not something to be ashamed of at all. However the way The Fail set the story they created the narrative that royalty would go to compton and have tea with the slaves. Dogwhistle politics is what we call it in America, on the surface it may seem benign but when you read the comments the intended message was received loud and clear by its intended audience who immediately judged Meghan "inappropriate". That is The Fail's bread and butter.

^^Oh, I absolutely agree. The DM and its writers definitely know their audience and what sells. I just want to make sure we don't let anyone off the hook for buying into the idea that Meghan's upbringing or ancestry makes her an "inappropriate" royal girlfriend or spouse.

^^Oh, I absolutely agree. The DM and its writers definitely know their audience and what sells. I just want to make sure we don't let anyone off the hook for buying into the idea that Meghan's upbringing or ancestry makes her an "inappropriate" royal girlfriend or spouse.

I do find it funny that admirable traits such as advancing your lot in life, earning money, going to a top school in spite of the obstacles are frowned upon. The Middleton's are branded social climbers, Meghan has been branded a social climber also when actually she is good at networking. Networking is not a dirty word in the US, it is our bread and butter.

Why is there interest in the couple? Prince Harry is the son of the future king, he's considered one of the world's most eligible bachelors, that alone brings the interest. Also, this might be the last (this high profile) royal wedding in the UK for 2-3 decades. That already brings the interest. Personally, I've been a sort of fan of Meghan from the beginning of Suits, and have somewhat followed her career and appearances even before she started dating Harry. After seeing them in action for a little while, I think they'll be an amazing duo working for the BRF along with the Cambridges, and I like what I see.

I don't think this article from Royal Musings has been posted here yet. It's by Marlene Koenig, who was not initially very welcoming toward Meghan. But Koenig has seemingly done an about-face in her reflections with this commentary:

Royal Musings: We just might have another American princess!
"We Just Might Have Another American Princess"

A few have done a 180 on this. Both Ingrid Seward and Dickie Arbiter dismissed it as a fling when the November statement came out. They've said otherwise since. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom