Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the showrunner is still expecting or hoping for another season, but I would be surprised if that happens. Honestly, I think the show should have ended a few seasons ago. It's just not as interesting as it used to be.

As for US Weekly, most of its articles are almost always detailed yet the accuracy is 50/50, at best, from what I've seen.

Re: the location of a wedding, I'm not going to dismiss the expense argument but I'm certain that a televised wedding, regardless of where it's held, will still come with many complaints. So I wouldn't rule out WA based on that. We'll just have to wait and see.

I think the actors, producers and crew are happy that the show was popular and did not end so soon. The show has certainly provided them with a nice living and an opportunity to broaden their individual career development and future prospects.

Regarding a royal wedding, I think some posters are ruling out WA on the basis of economics and the more downbeat mood in Britain post-Brexit (and also the easier to manage security prospects of the Windsor venue). I agree though its still possible that an H&M somewhat scaled down wedding could take place at WA with a BP balcony appearance and television allowed to record the ceremony.

It's all speculation at this point. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to think (and this has nothing to do with the article) yes Meghan has met the Queen, Charles/Camilla, the DoE and of course William/Kate/kids.

Wouldn't surprise me if they were engaged or have discussed it and know they will be engaged within X time frame (much as William/Kate did). I am still leaning towards a Dec/Jan engagement announcement but who knows really!

Charles and Diana married in July..so yeah they do summer weddings in the BRF.

LaRae

We don't know enough about her first marriage to determine why it ended after 2 years. I don't think you can just say oh there's a bad track record. A 10 year relationship is quite a stretch. She's not been serial dating for 10 years.

My husband was married before for 7 or 8 years....we've been married almost 30.

LaRae

Is there any indication that either Harry or Meghan would want a wedding on the scale of William and Kate's, even if it were to be presented as an option to them, (which it won't be)? I don't know enough about Meghan to have an opinion, but I would picture Harry's dream wedding to be the sort that many of his well heeled friends have had. Expensive but private in some exotic locale with only family and actual friends present.

I wonder if something like that would be an option, with the obvious provision that no public funds be used? I lean towards no because Harry is still the de facto spare until William's children are older, and he is the only other child of The Prince of Wales. So I would expect a wedding much smaller and less grand than William's but still with an official, public component.

Is there any indication that either Harry or Meghan would want a wedding on the scale of William and Kate's, even if it were to be presented as an option to them, (which it won't be)? I don't know enough about Meghan to have an opinion, but I would picture Harry's dream wedding to be the sort that many of his well heeled friends have had. Expensive but private in some exotic locale with only family and actual friends present.

I wonder if something like that would be an option, with the obvious provision that no public funds be used? I lean towards no because Harry is still the de facto spare until William's children are older, and he is the only other child of The Prince of Wales. So I would expect a wedding much smaller and less grand than William's but still with an official, public component.

Yea, I wouldn't expect them to have a private wedding. With Harry's status as a full time royal and a popular one at that, people are going to want and expect to see a televised wedding. BTW, I do believe Prince Charles paid for the bulk of the cost related to W&K's wedding, it's security that was on the taxpayer's dime right?

And I'm sure Harry and Meghan would be willing to have a private wedding that's privately funded much like what Pippa's was. But then, there will be a lot of people upset about not being able to see the wedding. If people want a public wedding, there are costs associated with it. It's pretty simple, can't have it both ways.

My guess is, no matter what venue they marry in (assuming they marry) they will not have a grand lavish wedding. She's been married before, they are older and I don't think the BRF will want to put up the appearance of a costly wedding. I think it will be more modest than William/Kate's wedding...but I could see the venue being the same one.

LaRae

My guess is, no matter what venue they marry in (assuming they marry) they will not have a grand lavish wedding. She's been married before, they are older and I don't think the BRF will want to put up the appearance of a costly wedding. I think it will be more modest than William/Kate's wedding...but I could see the venue being the same one.

LaRae

Define grand/lavish. :lol: I would expect a smaller wedding than William and Kate, but that's still pretty grand and lavish by normal people's standards.:lol:

Define grand/lavish. :lol: I would expect a smaller wedding than William and Kate, but that's still pretty grand and lavish by normal people's standards.:lol:

Have you see some of the wedding shows on TV? They have weddings way bigger than most royal weddings. Platinum Weddings is one. Crazy amounts of money spent and talk about lavish!

Heck just on some of the wedding dress shows they can spend 20 to 50 grand for the dress. Then there's all the new jewelry etc etc .

LaRae

:previous: As I mentioned Harry's wedding could still be at WA like his brother's, but scaled down in costs. None of us are exactly familiar with everything that's entailed. ?

Also, once again, they have enough money of their own to have any kind of wedding they please. The issue of Harry being a royal is why the pomp and circumstance is expected. And I'll bet neither of them are exactly dreamy-eyed or gaga about the spectacle of royal wedding trappings (although they surely both respect the history and tradition that's involved). Harry sees his royal position in life as duty and responsibility. And he views the perks and status of his position as an opportunity to give back and bring attention to worthy causes. Meghan too has always looked at the success she has achieved as an opportunity to give back.

OTOH, since they both seemingly have fun-spirited personalities, they would likely do something completely different for a wedding if it were all up to them without the royal protocol demands. In fact, I think they would consider marrying in Toronto, L.A., the Caribbean, or indeed in Africa, if they were able to make such a choice. Probably, they will try to make their prospective wedding as special for themselves and their loved ones as they can within the confines of royal-related strictures and demands. And then they can choose to have fun on their honeymoon (perhaps a cruise on a yacht provided by one of Harry's wealthy friends).

Do the BRF typically have summer weddings? The reason I ask is because HMQ and senior members tend to vacation in summer as the BP is open to public.

I doubt there's any problem with a late May or early June wedding. Although Meghan and Harry may wish to mark the second anniversary of their relationship taking off by marrying sometime in July 2018.

Is there any indication that either Harry or Meghan would want a wedding on the scale of William and Kate's, even if it were to be presented as an option to them, (which it won't be)? I don't know enough about Meghan to have an opinion, but I would picture Harry's dream wedding to be the sort that many of his well heeled friends have had. Expensive but private in some exotic locale with only family and actual friends present... I lean towards no...

As I said earlier, neither Harry nor Meghan seem exactly high maintenance. I agree that if they had their druthers, they'd skip marrying in Britain with all the royal hoopla attached. What will be will be. Harry has gone through his adolescent anguish and ponderings. He's accepted his royal role and found a purpose which he's enthused about. Above all, he's found the special someone he's been seeking to make the pressures and demands less burdensome, and his private moments more joyful and happy. :twohearts:

First and foremost, I want to say I have nothing against Ms. Markle, I think she's a very accomplished young lady. Educated, well spoken and in her words a "brash American". She's very much her own person and she's got a career that most of us (not me) - specially aspiring actors - would like to have on our CV. So - no hate coming from me about her at all.

Personally I agree with you about Harry and Meghan being a disaster because of 2 things that stand out in my mind.

First - as a "brash American" - and having been educated in the United States and now have lived here for 16 years, I know how opinionated and passionate Americans are. So, can Ms. Markle going into "The Firm" will have to slightly curb some of her opinions - personal, political and otherwise - and be a demure and smiling figure of a duchess content to work in the humanitarian field?

Second - she was with her ex-husband for like 8 years before they married. Then they got married and 2 years later she called it quits. I have a problem with that track record. You don't date someone for that long a time, get married then call it quits. She's known Harry for a lot less time - the huge question for me here is - will she bolt once she finds out the reality of living within the confines of "The Firm"? That is the bigger concern.

That said - I wish them all the luck and happiness in the future. Just one thing Harry - get a pre-nup. Love is blind, but the neighbours ain't :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You don't get out of life alive" ~Jimmy the Hand~
"The battle of the sexes will never be won, we keep fraternizing with the enemy"

I believe all senior members of royal family sign a prenup before marriage nowadays, don't they?

Also, I think your first concern might be overblown. Meghan's interest in humanitarian efforts began LONG before Harry came into the picture. Which is why this seems like a perfect fit. The reality is, acting careers are unstable and insecure. Once Suits is done, who knows when she'll get another regular gig. I think everyone, including Meghan herself, realize that. It's nothing against her, that's just how it works.

As for the second one, I've seen a number of cases like this where they date for a long time and end up with a short marriage. Sometimes, those marriages happen because they've been together for so long. It doesn't mean that she's a bolter. The fact that she was in such a long relationship says the opposite about her.

Now the page boys and bridesmaids will like the Cambridge wedding likely be a mix, and not shocking if heavily on Harry side.

Bridesmaids

Isabel Mulroney (will be 5 next year)
Princess Charlotte
Mia Tindall
Lola Parker Bowles
Isabella Hutt (granddaughter of Sarah Spencer)

Page boys
Prince George
John and Brian Mulroney
Possibly one of the Van Cutsem grandsons

I think Savannah and Isla Phillips could be added to the list. James Wessex is still young enough to be a page boy, too.

Also, as close as Harry is to Mark Dyer I think Mark's kid(s) have a shot. Last I read Mark's wife was pregnant in 2011, so at present they likely have a 5-year-old child, and they could have younger kids too.

If Harry doesn't marry until the latter part of 2018 or later, then Jake Warren's twin daughters might be strong contenders. They'd be around 3.

And personally, I don't think Lola Parker Bowles or Isabella Hutt will be there. Maybe Lady Charlotte Spencer, but even then I'm dubious.

I will go out on a limb and say that there is no chance of Harry having a private wedding at some exotic locale. That is just not happening.

I think the actors, producers and crew are happy that the show was popular and did not end so soon. The show has certainly provided them with a nice living and an opportunity to broaden their individual career development and future prospects. I agree that seasons 4 and 5 were problematic with some strange storylines and unsatisfying character arcs. I was particularly less than pleased by how Meghan's 'Rachel' character was portrayed in season 4 and in parts of season 5.

Regarding a royal wedding, I think some posters are ruling out WA on the basis of economics and the more downbeat mood in Britain post-Brexit (and also the easier to manage security prospects of the Windsor venue). I agree though its still possible that an H&M somewhat scaled down wedding could take place at WA with a BP balcony appearance and television allowed to record the ceremony.

It's all speculation at this point. ?

I understand the argument against a WA wedding but given that there is likely to be a lot of interest in this wedding (as opposed to say, Edward's wedding), I think it's still very much a possibility, though yes, it would likely be scaled down in costs.

We don't know enough about her first marriage to determine why it ended after 2 years. I don't think you can just say oh there's a bad track record. A 10 year relationship is quite a stretch. She's not been serial dating for 10 years.

Exactly.

I also find the idea of her being a "brash American" to be an exaggeration. Meghan is hardly as brash or outspoken (at least in a controversial way) as some suggest. From what I have seen, she can easily adapt to her surroundings, which is one the reasons I don't think she will have a difficult time adjusting to royal life.

I will go out on a limb and say that there is no chance of Harry having a private wedding at some exotic locale. That is just not happening.

I have to agree with you here but also add that its a no go not because it would be refused or out of the question by the powers that be but because Harry and Meghan themselves wouldn't think of it. As close as Harry is to his grandparents, I can't believe he'd ever even think for a minute of getting married without them being able to be present.

I understand the argument against a WA wedding but given that there is likely to be a lot of interest in this wedding (as opposed to say, Edward's wedding), I think it's still very much a possibility, though yes, it would likely be scaled down in costs.

I would say everything is a possibility except for a Caribbean wedding. As things stand right now, there would be very few places in the Caribbean that would be in condition to host any wedding let alone a royal one. Even a private wedding at Branson's Necker Island is out of the question because, frankly, Necker Island is a disaster zone.

As much as some might want that to be the case and advocate this, it ain't gonna happen. Harry is a Prince of the realm whether some like it or not. He is also a working royal and will most likely end up the son, as well as a brother of a monarch someday ( barring anything tragic). There are those who would rather any marriage between M&H happens out of sight and as far away from England as possible, I've even read the absurd suggestion from some quarters that H&M should have a morganatic marriage if they do decide wed. How ridiculous are these creatures to even suggest such a thing?! That's their problem and issues to sort out though.

Last edited:
Yep. That makes it sound plausible but then I read about a proposal and specifics about the engagement ring and I remember why I don't trust US Weekly. :ermm: :lol:

I agree about the ring. I am almost finished reading "Diana: In Search of Herself", by Sally Bedell Smith. There is lots of info in that book on how the press operates, and from what I have learned from this book, I don't believe anything I read anymore unless it comes from a very trusted source, and then I still am a little skeptical.

As for the second one, I've seen a number of cases like this where they date for a long time and end up with a short marriage. Sometimes, those marriages happen because they've been together for so long. It doesn't mean that she's a bolter. The fact that she was in such a long relationship says the opposite about her.

Two come to my mind: Andre Agassi & Brooke Shields, Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie

One thing that I believe shouldn't ever be done is judge a relationship by prior relationships. Each one is unique as the two unique people coming together to form a relationship. None are exactly alike.

Harry isn't Meghan's ex husband nor is Meghan a Cressida or a Chelsy.

Many of you all have a point here . WA wedding with so much money spent doesn't seem likely .

At the end of the day the wedding in itself is a union of 2 people who want to spend their lives together . So it doesn't matter how big or small it is .
Maybe Harry himself prefers something small and intimate .. let's wait and watch .

The US weekly article is surprisingly detailed in their description so maybe there is some truth in it and it was said that Harry n Meghan were away that weekend so...

US weekly is not People so I assume its 1 part fact mixed with two part or more fanfiction.

I do believe that we are seeing more official leaks since the return from Africa. I do believe that they are circling the wagons and bringing MM into the fold so to speak. I think the VF article was both an introduction but also a farewell also.

Exactly.

I also find the idea of her being a "brash American" to be an exaggeration. Meghan is hardly as brash or outspoken (at least in a controversial way) as some suggest. From what I have seen, she can easily adapt to her surroundings, which is one the reasons I don't think she will have a difficult time adjusting to royal life.

You probably weren't here several years ago when Archduke Imre married the American Kathleen Walker (the thread is in Austria section). She was very outspoken in support of pro life issues (Imre's family are all Catholic as well as her family). People were having a stroke about him marrying this girl...making all sorts of comments about her being outpoken and what a mess she would bring to Imre's family and how this just wasn't 'done in Europe etc etc. They've been married since 2012 and you've not hardly heard a peep out of any of them..except when they have had children.

Much ado about nothing. Meghan has been able to speak her mind on few programs/articles just like anyone could. That doesn't mean she's going to go around embrrassing the BRF with her views if she marries Harry.

LaRae

I believe all senior members of royal family sign a prenup before marriage nowadays, don't they?

There were many reports in 2011 that William refused to have a pre-nup in the lead up to his marriage to Kate.

If true then the answer to your question is 'no they don't all sign a prenup before marriage'.

I'm trying to recall...don't remember Charles and Diana having one?

LaRae

You probably weren't here several years ago when Archduke Imre married the American Kathleen Walker (the thread is in Austria section). She was very outspoken in support of pro life issues (Imre's family are all Catholic as well as her family). People were having a stroke about him marrying this girl...making all sorts of comments about her being outpoken and what a mess she would bring to Imre's family and how this just wasn't 'done in Europe etc etc. They've been married since 2012 and you've not hardly heard a peep out of any of them..except when they have had children.

Much ado about nothing. Meghan has been able to speak her mind on few programs/articles just like anyone could. That doesn't mean she's going to go around embrrassing the BRF with her views if she marries Harry.

LaRae
No I wasn't around for that union. However, most of the European royals can more or less give their personal opinions of anything and everything. The BRF are known far and wide to not voice their personal opinions - witness The Queen who never gives an opinion publicly. I'm not saying that Ms. Markle will embarass anyone with her views if/when she marries into The Firm, I'm saying she won't be able to publicly declare her views except in a softly diplomatic and non-partisan way.

----------------------------------------------------
"You don't get out of life alive." ~Jimmy the Hand~
"The battle of the sexes will never be won, we keep fraternizing with the enemy."

That's the theory indeed. Nonetheless, the prince of Wales, Diana, princess of Wales, and currently W&K&H show that there is way more possible than some people like us to believe.

Abbigail;2018491[B said:
]I will go out on a limb and say that there is no chance of Harry having a private wedding at some exotic locale. That is just not happening.
[/B]

Of course. But I think it was around season 5 finale that I started thinking the show should end soon. I didn't see much creativity in the writing and the following seasons really did nothing to change my opinion.

Totally, totally agree.

The first, last and only British Royal wedding that took place outside of church was disgraced Edward VIII and his divorced, profoundly unpopular American bride Wallis Simpson in the 1930's.

One doesn't have to be a genius to understand that's not a precedent that Harry is likely to want to follow.:cool:

He will marry in Church like his forebears and even if the ceremony has some personal touches it will be traditional Church of England.

Right, we were simply discussing what they might like to do if Harry were not British royalty. No one said there's any possibility for them being able to take off to an exotic locale for an intimate, friends-only private wedding. :lol:

Harry has at least experienced that with various of his friends' nuptials. Also, Meghan already had her full-of-fun exotic Jamaican wedding, and a subsequent divorce over four years ago. M&H both attended the Inskips' Jamaican wedding together too in May. M&H are adults in their 30s and they give every indication of being fully prepared to take up the responsibilities of what being a royal couple will entail. I will be interested to see what their plans will be for a honeymoon. But alas, let us wait to hear the engagement news first. ? :D

Exactly. As a number of us have discussed and surmised. :flowers:

Right, we were simply discussing what they might like to do if Harry were not British royalty. No one said there's any possibility for them being able to take off to an exotic locale for an intimate, friends-only private wedding. :lol:

Actually, the poster I was responding to seemed to have been wondering if it were a realisic option and not just a "what if" Harry weren't royal...

No I wasn't around for that union. However, most of the European royals can more or less give their personal opinions of anything and everything. The BRF are known far and wide to not voice their personal opinions - witness The Queen who never gives an opinion publicly. I'm not saying that Ms. Markle will embarass anyone with her views if/when she marries into The Firm, I'm saying she won't be able to publicly declare her views except in a softly diplomatic and non-partisan way.

----------------------------------------------------
"You don't get out of life alive." ~Jimmy the Hand~
"The battle of the sexes will never be won, we keep fraternizing with the enemy."

Yes I know and I would expect she knows this already.

LaRae

Actually, the poster I was responding to seemed to have been wondering if it were a realisic option and not just a "what if" Harry weren't royal...

:previous: Ah, okay. I must have missed that from another poster.

... I ... add that its a no go not because it would be refused or out of the question by the powers that be but because Harry and Meghan themselves wouldn't think of it. s close as Harry is to his grandparents, I can't believe he'd ever even think for a minute of getting married without them being able to be present.

I would say everything is a possibility except for a Caribbean wedding...

The earlier speculation/mention in this thread of the Caribbean in connection with a M&H wedding was most definitely not serious on my part. ? Of course that's not going to happen, and it would not be where either of their heads are at right now. :D The main reason it's out of the question is due to Harry's royal status, which doesn't mean they both wouldn't prefer to do something special and unique that's fun and all their own for their wedding. As I said, there's still their honeymoon where they can pull out all the stops (within reason of course). :globe: ;) Of course, Harry is very family-oriented and a dutiful, loving grandson. I think Meghan is also very connected to family and she understands the importance of such bonds, particularly as they pertain to her boyfriend.

What I said in a prior post above is this: M&H are adults in their 30s who understand and accept the burdens and responsibilities, as well as the perks that come with Harry's royal status. As I mentioned, I believe they both also respect, understand and plan to honor and adhere to the historic traditions of Harry's world famous family. The difference is that I don't get the sense that either are caught up in or fazed by the pomp and circumstance, although they may allow themselves to enjoy some of the trappings, since they both seem to appreciate the lighter side of life too.

Most importantly, I think they both realize that if the love they share together isn't deep, meaningful and substantive, then the royal spectacle part of things in the end will be rather hollow. Harry would know this from his parents' experiences. And Meghan is a very bright young lady who has surely learned a lot over the years. She seems wise beyond her years from some of the things she's said in interviews (e.g., with Larry King, One World panel discussions, her AOL Build interview, etc.) ?

... I think the VF article was both an introduction but also a farewell also.

Yes, it hails the opening act to a new stage of M&H's relationship, as well as a denouement to Meghan's acting career. ?

Last edited:
As much as some might want that to be the case and advocate this, it ain't gonna happen. Harry is a Prince of the realm whether some like it or not. He is also a working royal and will most likely end up the son, as well as a brother of a monarch someday ( barring anything tragic). There are those who would rather any marriage between M&H happens out of sight and as far away from England as possible, I've even read the absurd suggestion from some quarters that H&M should have a morganatic marriage if they do decide wed. How ridiculous are these creatures to even suggest such a thing?! That's their problem and issues to sort out though.

Morgantic marriage is absurd, even just based on the fact that the concept doesn't exist in the UK. Morgantic marriages are not a concept ever adopted in any part of the United kingdom. They would actually have to introduce a new legal principal, to be able to use it for the couple.

As for the notion I have noticed a few people mention of William's wedding being toned down to a semi-state occasion for monetary reasons.....this is untrue. William's wedding was never going to be a state occasion. The only way it would have been is if his father had been king when he married. Only the wedding of a sovereign or their heir is a state occasion. William was neither when he married.

There is no way the wedding will not be televised and given attention. But it is natural it will be a smaller scale. And Harry and Meghan may very well appreciate the freedom to choose a location besides London. William knew it was expected. Harry and Meghan could marry at St George's or they could marry at one of the other royal estates. It really is up to them.

Edward VIII was not the only BRF to marry outside the church. He was simply the only one whose First wedding was outside the church. Charles and Camilla of course were not. I don't see Harry following in the steps of Edward. Nor are he and Meghan remotely comparable to Charles. Harry was not involved in the end of Meghan's marriage. Nor is he the future head of the church of England. Both reasons why Charles didn't marry in the church. For the future head of the church to remarry the woman he had an adulterous affair with, in the church, would not have been accepted by most. Meghan may be divorced but Harry was not part.

In this Express article Ingrid Seward, who is the Chief Editor of Majesty magazine (which concentrates on British and some foreign royals) is quoted as saying that she believes that Harry took Meghan up to Balmoral following their African holiday. She has contacts within the Royal Household I think and elsewhere. She says she can't be 100% certain that the visit occurred but is 'about 98%'.

Prince Harry 'introduces Meghan Markle to the Queen at Balmoral' | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom