Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some men really like women who speak their own minds. The BRF has had plenty of horrid- and quite true - things said about them in the press. How can having something lovely and romantic said about Harry hurt them?

I for one assume that someone from KP staff sat in on this interview, anyway.

And, as the proverb says, 'a cat may look at a king'.

Where is the harm, except to those who are easily offended?

I don't see a KP staff member sitting in on the interview. Although the photo shoot part of the VF article was in London, the actual interview itself was done at Meghan's home in Toronto.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that we need to look at this relationship and how its handled from a global perspective rather than an exclusive British one. Harry is half of the relationship not the entire have all and be all of it.

He may be a prince of the UK and they do things in their own certain way but as we've seen, even in the work of the Royal Foundation and the younger royal's charity work that they're not limiting themselves to just the UK and a lot of their work is global. Both Harry and Meghan, together, have the opportunity to make a world of difference literally on the world stage. :D

Last edited:
I never once said that Meghan should be stifled. If she had been speaking to VF about her charities, social issues or her work, I would have loved that & rejoiced! That would have gone a long way in presenting her as a modern woman & someone of substance who isn’t defined by her relationship. But let us not pretend that this VF interview does that. I would argue that it does the opposite.

Talking about being in love when you have yet to be properly introduced to the public was not a wise choice & slightly jumping the gun. There were better ways that Meghan could have been presented to the public. What has this interview really accomplished & how does it define Meghan as a person? If the most groundbreaking piece of her rollout interview is a declaration that they're in love, how does this make Meghan look any different from the other celebrities out there? She or KP could have at least insisted that a large chunk of the VF interview would be about her charity work instead there wasn't any mention of this.

As a fan of Meghan’s I think the VF interview was somewhat of an own goal, missed opportunity & doesn’t do her any favors.

Could you tell me from yr comment above just how someone is *properly introduced to the public means and how is that done*? I for the love of me could not find that in any book or article on how one is introduced in a proper way to the public.....how would they look, what would they wear, what should they say, when should it be done and who gives permission for someone to be properly introduced? And what year are we in right now, from looking at my calendar it is 2017, not 1940 or earlier...time change and we as women are allowed to be vocal and forthright as our own person, in face we are actually real live human beings that hold down top jobs around the world and make amazing discoveries in all avenue of the world, not women who walk behind any man but right at their side.:ermm:

I never once said that Meghan should be stifled. If she had been speaking to VF about her charities, social issues or her work, I would have loved that & rejoiced! That would have gone a long way in presenting her as a modern woman & someone of substance who isn’t defined by her relationship. But let us not pretend that this VF interview does that. I would argue that it does the opposite.

Talking about being in love when you have yet to be properly introduced to the public was not a wise choice & slightly jumping the gun. There were better ways that Meghan could have been presented to the public. What has this interview really accomplished & how does it define Meghan as a person? If the most groundbreaking piece of her rollout interview is a declaration that they're in love, how does this make Meghan look any different from the other celebrities out there? She or KP could have at least insisted that a large chunk of the VF interview would be about her charity work instead there wasn't any mention of this.

As a fan of Meghan’s I think the VF interview was somewhat of an own goal, missed opportunity & doesn’t do her any favors.

But there would have been no issue if Harry were the one who said they are in love, yeah? No suggestion that he was being defined by his relationship? That's quite problematic.

If people actually read the VF interview and conclude that it was just all about her romantic relationship, then I think that's their problem, not Meghan's.

But there would have been no issue if Harry were the one who said they are in love, yeah? No suggestion that he was being defined by his relationship? That's quite problematic.

If people actually read the VF interview and conclude that it was just all about her romantic relationship, then I think that's their problem, not Meghan's.

Very well said. If anyone, in 2017, thinks a woman says they are in love first is desperate, but not so for a man. That's a bad reflection on them, not Meghan.

Given the different perceptions of the interview, I thought an analysis might be helpful. So, what is the interview really about:

18% - Introduction/closing and author's interaction with and impression of Meghan (a lot about where she lives; (being a) food(ie) - includes quotes from Meghan
15% - About Suits and acting in general
13% - About Meghan's childhood/family - includes previous writings from Meghan and quotes from the VF interview
11% - About prince Harry (who is he? No comments from Meghan)
8% - About begin mixed-race - quote references her freckles (other than that recycled material)
8% - About what the royal family might think
7% - about dealing with the media (because of relationship with her boyfriend - she never calls him Harry!) - includes quotes from Meghan
6% - Friends about Meghan
5% - About her relationship with Harry - includes quotes from Meghan
4% - About developing social awareness and philanthropy - includes quotes from Meghan
4% - About how others (especially the media) react to their relationship (including criticism)

Could you tell me from yr comment above just how someone is *properly introduced to the public means and how is that done*? I for the love of me could not find that in any book or article on how one is introduced in a proper way to the public.....how would they look, what would they wear, what should they say, when should it be done and who gives permission for someone to be properly introduced? And what year are we in right now, from looking at my calendar it is 2017, not 1940 or earlier...time change and we as women are allowed to be vocal and forthright as our own person, in face we are actually real live human beings that hold down top jobs around the world and make amazing discoveries in all avenue of the world, not women who walk behind any man but right at their side.:ermm:

H&M have gone out of their way not to appear in public together which is fair enough. But what is the point of then having Meghan give an exclusive interview to a magazine where she doesn't reveal anything new about herself just tidbits about their relationship. How is this different to the typical ploy that most celebrities play?

Unless H&M are ready to unveil themselves as a couple in some sort of semi-official capacity then there is no need for any such revelations. A more authentic roll out would have been for the couple to appear publicly together side by side in a show of solidarity.

Last edited:
H&M have gone out of their way not to appear in public together which is fair enough. But why should Meghan then give an exclusive interview to a magazine where she doesn't reveal anything new about herself just tidbits about her relationship. How is this different to the typical ploy that most celebrities play?

Unless H&M are ready to unveil themselves as a couple in some sort of semi-official capacity then there is no need for any such revelations. A more authentic roll out would have been for the couple to appear publicly together side by side in a show of solidarity.

I don't know if it's they've gone out of their way to not appear in public. They certainly didn't at polo or when they were caught coming out of Soho House. It seems to me that they aren't hiding per se, but just keeping a low key. Let's put it this way, they aren't about to go the hottest restaurant in town where celebs all hang out and eat at an outside table, but they are still going to do the things they want to do. Britain does have stricter laws regarding this kind of thing.

Yes, I agree. We'll see what happens with the Invictus Games in Toronto. If they're together a lot in public, that will be almost like an unofficial engagement announcement.:flowers:

So they may officially announce their engagement in October? (Invictus Games will take place from 23 to 30 September)

So they may officially announce their engagement in October? (Invictus Games will take place from 23 to 30 September)
I think November, after Meghan is done with her commitment to Suits.

Yes, I agree. We'll see what happens with the Invictus Games in Toronto. If they're together a lot in public, that will be almost like an unofficial engagement announcement.:flowers:

I think MM will be filming so she may not be at every event, but I'm sure the opening and closing events which will have alot of politicians and celebs so they can't accuse her of highjacking the event.
Save

Or in December (Maybe on Christmas?) in order not to "overshadow" the Queen's and Duke of Edinburgh's Platinum Anniversary?

I don't think an engagement will be announced until Spring 2018. It's pure logistic, which means that I don't necessarily think the couple will wait until then to be engaged. Meghan's move to London won't come after November. She'll probably still travel back to see her family for holidays. There is also additional issue this situation will have to sort out, and that's her citizenship. She can't be engaged to marry into the royal family and still hold US citizenship. An expedited British citizenship will have to be established I presume. And the engagement will only be announced once all these things are taken care of. I don't see them marrying before fall of 2018.

Last edited:
There won't be an engagement until after baby Cambridge is born

H&M have gone out of their way not to appear in public together which is fair enough. But what is the point of then having Meghan give an exclusive interview to a magazine where she doesn't reveal anything new about herself just tidbits about their relationship. How is this different to the typical ploy that most celebrities play?

You did not answer my question and in fact it was side stepped like my question never existed.......:whistling:that is called spinning a comment:ermm:

I don't necessarily see them purposely avoiding that. Obviously they won't schedule an announcement right around Kate's due date, but if everything else is taken care of say beginning of March, I don't see why they wouldn't just announce it then. I think the last few days have shown that the media and public can have a few big royal news days in a short while. :lol: And honestly, if they have to wait until after every notable event, they won't ever announce an engagement.

I highly doubt that, lol. In my opinion, an engagement announcement will come no later than December of this year. I've thought that for awhile, even more so after this VF interview. I don't think such an interview happens if an announcement wasn't coming in the next few months.

What does that baby have to do with an engagement? Life goes on hold because Kate is having another baby?

LaRae

My guess is Nov/Dec or Jan.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't begin to guess when they'd announce an engagement. They will do it at the own time of choosing when they get all their ducks in a row. One never knows when one of those ducks could quack up.

In my best guesstimation, I'd have to say they'll announce it anytime between now and then. :D

You did not answer my question and in fact it was side stepped like my question never existed.......:whistling:that is called spinning a comment:ermm:

You wrote a paragraph & not all of it was phrased as a question. I responded to the first part of your sentence. Perhaps you should take time to read it again.

You asked:

Could you tell me from yr comment above just how someone is *properly introduced to the public means and how is that done*?

I said:

Last edited:
The first time William and Kate appeared publicly "side by side" was their friends' wedding right before the engagement announcement. Perhaps Harry and Meghan believe they have some things to tidy up (her contract with Suits, her citizenship, as another poster mentioned) before they are ready.

It could come at any time. Just "wait and see" as William used to say.

I don't think one thing has anything to do with the other. What is your reasoning for this statement?

Or in December (Maybe on Christmas?) in order not to "overshadow" the Queen's and Duke of Edinburgh's Platinum Anniversary?

I don't see any reason for the anniversary to entirely preclude an engagement announcement during the month. Just probably not right before or after.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see them feeling the need to postpone an announcement just because Kate is pregnant. I doubt they get married around her due date, but an engagement that does not really have anything to do with Kate in the first place is not a reason to wait.

Why would they wait until after the baby is born to announce their engagement? I don't get that thought process.

I think I do get that thought process. Both events happening around the same time could lead to accusations of inappropriate timing, eclipsing, overshadowing, stealing their thunder, etc..

Generally speaking it's like a 'they should wait until after the birth of William and Catherine's 3rd child. Then they will have the royal atmosphere for themselves'.
The die-hard old-schoolers might even think 'William ranks higher than Harry and Harry should act accordingly'.

Not my line of thinking at all - I think they should announce (IF anything like that would be in the works) when they want.
But I have seen plenty of thinking along these lines on the forums.

Carl-Philip and Sofia got married when Madeleine was about to pop. I think she gave birth like two days later? Life goes on. A wedding takes planning anyway. You can announce an engagement and have the wedding after number 3 is born. This way everybody gets their moment of shine.

Carl-Philip and Sofia got married when Madeleine was about to pop. I think she gave birth like two days later? Life goes on. A wedding takes planning anyway. You can announce an engagement and have the wedding after number 3 is born. This way everybody gets their moment of shine.

If I remember correctly, the wedding date was announced in october and they married in june. That means that Madeleine was just a few weeks into her pregnancy, and when the date was decided it's possible that she wasn't even pregnant. I doubt that H&M would set a date that is close to the birth of baby Cambridge, now that they know she's expecting. My guess is they'll marry in june or perhaps july.

There are many months in between now and when the baby is born. An engagement announcement wouldn't overshadow anything, especially if it happened in December or so. It seems like for each month there's some reason why Harry shouldn't announce his engagement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom