Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's a lovely interview and I'm glad that Meghan is becoming more 'visible'. I agree with others that this interview was almost certainly OKd by BP etc and that Harry knew all about it. It would be a bit of a shock if he didn't! I also believe that the couple will appear together at the IG and therefore this interview is a preamble to it and to an engagement perhaps later this year.

I remember that future Princess Marie of Denmark also admitted before their engagement that she loved Prince Joachim.

Last edited:
:previous:

Indeed, I believe she gave an interview to Point de Vue at one point.

Some that has expressed she should be introduced to the public prior to engagement should be happy about this interview.

I, on the other hand, am not sure about this. Don't get me wrong, I loved that it satisfied some of my curiousity about this relationship and addressed a few issues. However, I'm really not sure if this helped or hurt with the additional intense scrutiny this would bring to the relationship from the tabloid press.

Regardless, I'm sure this was Ok'ed by Harry and his people, perhaps even discussed with higher ups. I presume they all know better than I do about dealing with press.

Well, of course the Daily Fail has jumped on the Meghan interview with all the enthusiasm of a terrier after a large juicy rat! It's just manna for them.

Imagine Kate Middleton giving an interview to Tatler or British Vogue before her engagement... It's different for Harry & Meghan of course: not the immediate heir and as an actress Meghan lives on these magazines & photoshoots. It's part of her world.

OK, engagement by the end of the year I'm certain. She's 36, if they still want to have children, then Meghan will be 37 at a first pregnancy which isn't all that easy anymore biologically speaking. Good luck to them!

The interview was rather "pushy" so to speak. By saying she and Harry are supposedly "in love", she has put pressure on Harry to confirm that statement publicly.

I am 100% sure that VF was directed at MM by the press office of the palace and that this was not a spontanious action by either Meghan or Prince Harry.

Actors usually do not mind being the center of attention -it comes with the job - but I do not see why that is a problem. Considering her life *if* she marries the prince, it may even be a good thing she is not shy.

I do not see what is so surprising about 'being in love' when one is having a relationship with somebody. It would be more problematic if she would say that they were not.

Although people have a right to their opinion about the couple, it would be nice to stay fair and not to bend over backwards to portray any piece of information in a negative light at each and every opportunity.

Last edited:
It was a very nice interview, given just before the African holiday, and Harry would no doubt have been in favour of her doing it. He wouldn't have been pressured. How do we know he didn't suggest it, in fact? I believe it is the run up to appearances at events at the IG and later an engagement.

They're happy, in love, and good on them!

Well she certainly loves being the centre of attention. Why do an interview?

And just because Harry knew about doesn't make it right.

True. Harry was also the mastermind behind his disaster June interview. The blind leading the blind.

After reading the entire interview, It becomes more apparent to me that acting is something that Meghan does and isn't something that defines who she is as a person. She's very down to earth and as her friends say, well grounded. I love how she says her relationship doesn't define who she is.

Personally, I think Harry has hit the goldmine in seeking and finding a woman who is "real" and loves him for who he is and not because of what he is. They both seem to really have a zest for life and together will make quite a dynamic duo.

Well she certainly loves being the centre of attention. Why do an interview?

And just because Harry knew about doesn't make it right.

It's really amazing to me that people constantly call her loves being the centre of attention when she has shied away from any press, even for her show, since this relationship came out. She's given up her social media accounts, a lucrative blog, and has not even promoted Suits other than that very controlled event at ATX. If this was about seeking attention, there are many things she could've done to satisfy that up til this point. This girl will never do anything right according some people.

The interview was rather "pushy" so to speak. By saying she and Harry are supposedly "in love", she has put pressure on Harry to confirm that statement publicly.

Seriously? Was anybody blind enough to not know they are in love? I thought that was addressed by Harry's statement back in November. That was the most unsurprising statement in that interview.

True. Harry was also the mastermind behind his disaster June interview. The blind leading the blind.

The entire thing wasn't a disaster. It was one comment that was taken out of context. I hardly would call that "master mind".

Last edited by a moderator:
“We’re a couple,” she explains. “We’re in love. I’m sure there will be a time when we will have to come forward and present ourselves and have stories to tell, but I hope what people will understand is that this is our time. This is for us. It’s part of what makes it so special, that it’s just ours. But we’re happy. Personally, I love a great love story.”

LOL at asking for privacy when your on the cover with a full spread photo shoot while gushing how great your boyfriend is.

I really hope this ends in marriage cause KP and Meghan are gonna look real silly if they split up

I think they're trying something different. The hyper protectiveness from Harry (& William) has often left them at odds with the press.....this is a bone they're throwing. Catherine never gave an interview which may...notice I said MAY have contributed to the intensity of the media interest, so this may be an attempt to kill two birds with one stone. Introduce MM as a royal gf and give the press approved access to her.Also it's probably a precursor to an engagement announcement.

Things change on a dime here. This thread is full of comments about how discreet Meghan is and that she never talks to the press about Harry.

Now she decides to 'tell all' and all of a sudden she's praised for talking. Talk about having it both ways. :lol:

It confirms to me she's just an attention seeking celebrity trading on Harry's name.

I've been thinking since my initial comment after reading this interview (I really waste too much time thinking about things that has got nothing to do with my life), this was far more controlled than what MM's PR would be capable of. The interview was a complete surprise, no leaks or anything prior to this being released. Even though they spoke to a number of people for this story. And it's certainly a big story, this is unprecedented, and this might be the only interview we see of a girlfriend of a British royal for a very long time. On top of that, the people they choose for quotes are interesting as well. Instead of her best friend, Jessica Mulroney, they chose to go with Serena Williams, Abigail Spencer, and Mischa Nonoo. Granted, those are good friends of hers, but they aren't as close as some of her Toronto pack. This has the Palace's finger prints all over it in terms of controlling the narrative.

Things change on a dime here. This thread is full of comments about how discreet Meghan is and that she never talks to the press about Harry.

Now she decides to 'tell all' and all of a sudden she's praised for talking. Talk about having it both ways. :lol:

It confirms to me she's just an attention seeking celebrity trading on Harry's name.

She has been extremely discreet since dating. We are all surprised by this interview. It's not something anyone would've guessed judging by her behavior since the relationship came to light or even before. This isn't her usual style if you've followed her career long enough. And it's hardly a tell all. She didn't spill any relationship secrets.

Again, if she wanted to trade on Harry's name, there is a lot of things that she could've done before this that she went out of her way to not do. If this was a long list of things that she has done to promote herself using her relationship, you would have a point, but this isn't. And quite honestly, this has the Palace's prints all over it. Her people wouldn't have been able to control things as much. Which leads us to ask why would the Palace do this?

Pre-engagement press.

Engagement announcement imminent, wedding to quickly follow.

Yesterday the announcement of Baby Cambridge #3. Today the VF article publication.

Up next (and quite soon I’d say): Harry & Meghan engagement announcement and Pippa Matthews pregnancy announcement.

I’m also hoping to hear of a Zara pregnancy soon too!

OK. Back to hurricane coverage, as I am in an area of uncertainty re: Irma.

Rudolph, a lot of posters here have given our reasons as to why this one interview has come out now, and many believe, in this forum and others, that it's because an engagement is likely sooner rather than later. When she is a fiancee about to join the BRF will she still be a celebrity trading on Harry's name?

Also, we should consider the timing of this. This came out at the perfect time. The interview was done back in June? I believe? Yet no one caught wind of it until now. Right after the 20th anniversary of Princess Diana's death, which by all accounts, they spent together.

Almost every actress nowadays has played scenes in which they are shown in bed or in a state of undress or nude, including incidentally Cressida Bonas, an ex of Harry's. I remember decades ago the very respected Shakespearean actress Glenda Jackson doing an extremely graphic scene in the film 'Women in Love' and that was considered out of the ordinary. Nowadays no-one lifts an eyebrow. Participating in these scenes is called 'acting'. No-one associates the actor as a person with the role they have taken.

So Harry must leave the Royal Family and his duties because some members of the British public supposedly consider Meghan 'unsuitable'?
And just how are the powers that be going to quantify this. By polling, a plebiscite, referendum? That is just patently absurd.

I adored Diana and still do. However, she was considered eminently suitable to be Princess of Wales by everyone, including the BRF. And look at how that ended!

As for the BRF funding, the Queen and Prince Philip are directly funded by Parliament as monarch and consort. No-one else in the family is. Some receive expenses when needed from the Sovereign Fund. The Queen also has the Duchy of Lancaster to fund her and help some relatives with their living expenses. That doesn't include Harry.

Charles is funded by the Duchy of Cornwall, and from that he gives allowances to the Cambridges and Harry. The Duchies of Cornwall and Lancaster are ancient and operate, as everything else does, with the approval of Parliament. They aren't directly funded by the British public.

BIB - I guess some people will always be selective with their 'outrage & concern' when it comes to Meghan

I also recall the topless photo of Sophie in a horseplay clinch with a well known tv presenter published just weeks before before her wedding. She wasn't considered "unsuitable" as wife material for the Queen's last born son. Then after marriage there was the highly charged political comments made against certain politicians in the 'fake sheik' scandal. People have a past and/ or make mistakes. We don't burn them at the stake for it.

Last edited:
It was a very nice interview, given just before the African holiday, and Harry would no doubt have been in favour of her doing it. He wouldn't have been pressured. How do we know he didn't suggest it, in fact? I believe it is the run up to appearances at events at the IG and later an engagement.

They're happy, in love, and good on them!

I think it would have been more appropriate if the couple had been interviewed together.

Personally, I think Harry has hit the goldmine in seeking and finding a woman who is "real" and loves him for who he is and not because of what he is. They both seem to really have a zest for life and together will make quite a dynamic duo.

Well, you can't really separate the two, can you ? I won't speculate on why Meghan loves Harry or on how her alleged "love" would be more "real" or "authentic" than somebody else's.

Last edited:
What does an engagement have to to do with anything? There was zero reason to give this interview other than to draw attention to herself.

No one else in the BRF have done this. It's attention seeking plain and simple.

Wow some of these comments are something else. A few pages ago, some of you were saying that they should be more open with their relationship but the minute she does 'She loves attention'. Please make up your mind.

I think they will step out as an official couple for the Invictus Games and her doing this interview is likely to quell the media interest. You only have to look back at the polo pap shots and how they were everywhere. I see the logic but i don't think it will hush the media or public interest. Not one bit.

I think it would have been more appropriate if the couple had been interviewed together.

That will happen when the engagement announcement is made.

That would only be in the event of an engagement announcement. It's less "official" and hopefully gets some of what they want to say to the public out instead of getting lost in the tabloid madness that's been around since last year.

What does an engagement have to to do with anything? There was zero reason to give this interview other than to draw attention to herself.

No one else in the BRF have done this. It's attention seeking plain and simple.

And no one in the BRF has released a statement to condemn the wave of abuse and harassment and racial implications thrown at their significant other. Did you call Harry attention seeking plain and simple too? Or how about William when he released a statement supporting Harry's position when some tabs started reporting he was against it while Harry was on tour in the Carribbean and didn't have phone signals all the time? Or does that only apply to Meghan?

I think it was a nice interview. She always comes across as very warm and likable in interviews. She didn't say much that isn't already known, and this was likely Suits publicity agreed to quite some time ago.

I do not see what is so surprising about 'being in love' when one is having a relationship with somebody. It would be more problematic if she would say that they were not.

It's not surprising that they're in love (because of course they are), it's surprising that she is speaking so openly about their relationship. With the exception of maybe Mike Tindall, I don't think a girlfriend/boyfriend of someone in the BRF has ever done an interview and discussed their love life. In fact, back when W&K were dating, she got flack for the Dragon boat Race photos and she wasn't even interviewed, she just let a photographer follow her during a few hours of training. The BRF aren't known for being so open, so this is something new for them. I'm not knocking it, I'm glad they're learning that they can't be so closed off to the world.

I think this was a good move by the court (which no doubt was behind this).

One of the things that makes Meghan different than other royal boy/girlfriends is that she was already an official person in her own right before she met Harry. She has already given up quite a lot for being "just a girlfriend" - not renewing the contract for her clothing line, closing down The Tig, not giving interviews... what actress isn't giving interviews?

Even if this comes as a surprise, it's a nice surprise. She isn't saying anything controversial or secret. And yes, I agree with all of the posters who think that this is a sign that an engagement is imminent.

It's not surprising that they're in love (because of course they are), it's surprising that she is speaking so openly about their relationship. With the exception of maybe Mike Tindall, I don't think a girlfriend/boyfriend of someone in the BRF has ever done an interview and discussed their love life. In fact, back when W&K were dating, she got flack for the Dragon boat Race photos and she wasn't even interviewed, she just let a photographer follow her during a few hours of training. The BRF aren't known for being so open, so this is something new for them. I'm not knocking it, I'm glad they're learning that they can't be so closed off to the world.

I think the BRF do realize this is unprecedented times, and they must handle it as such. I highly doubt the statement Harry put out in November didn't go up the chain of command before it was released.

No, its not the Abbey, but it's the most glorious and intimate place for royal weddings. I just get the feeling Harry and his bride will want a more intimate setting for their wedding.

The Abbey could do as well. When one think about the vast friends and charitable organizations they would invite.

Me too. If they do decide to move onto the next stage I'd rather they do something small, private & intimate but royal - nothing too elaborate given the hostile climate and attitudes they continue to face from certain quarters. Just close family and friends. Harry is now 6th in line, the wedding doesn't have to be televised.

Last edited:
I think this was a good move by the court (which no doubt was behind this).

One of the things that makes Meghan different than other royal boy/girlfriends is that she was already an official person in her own right before she met Harry. She has already given up quite a lot for being "just a girlfriend" - not renewing the contract for her clothing line, closing down The Tig, not giving interviews... what actress isn't giving interviews?

Even if this comes as a surprise, it's a nice surprise. She isn't saying anything controversial or secret. And yes, I agree with all of the posters who think that this is a sign that an engagement is imminent.

You put all of it in a much more eloquent way than I could. This situation is unique. Yes, it's the BRF and all that. But people must also understand that Meghan wasn't just anyone that has no business with the media in the first place. She's an actress in her own right before all of this. She has had a profile in public before this. Because of the exposed situation she was already in, you can't just put a lid on everything and expect nothing will get out and you can just move on from it.

Me too. If they do decide to move onto the next stage I'd rather they do something small, private & intimate but royal - nothing too elaborate given the hostile climate they continue to face from certain quarters. Just close family and friends. Harry is now 6th in line, the wedding doesn't have to be televised.

Harry is one of the most popular members of the royal family. His wedding will be televised. There will be A LOT of problems if it wasn't. Edward and Sophie's wedding was televised as well, and I believe he was a bit further than 6th in line to the throne at that time. And that's when the BRF was still recovering from Diana. Harry, on the other hand, will be protected by being part of Diana. William and Harry's popularity is a combination of the Queen's longevity and commitment and nostalgia towards their mother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom