Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost every actress nowadays has played scenes in which they are shown in bed or in a state of undress or nude, including incidentally Cressida Bonas, an ex of Harry's. I remember decades ago the very respected Shakespearean actress Glenda Jackson doing an extremely graphic scene in the film 'Women in Love' and that was considered out of the ordinary. Nowadays no-one lifts an eyebrow. Participating in these scenes is called 'acting'. No-one associates the actor as a person with the role they have taken.

So Harry must leave the Royal Family and his duties because some members of the British public supposedly consider Meghan 'unsuitable'? And just how are the powers that be going to quantify this. By polling, a plebiscite, referendum? That is just patently absurd.

I adored Diana and still do. However, she was considered eminently suitable to be Princess of Wales by everyone, including the BRF. And look at how that ended!

As for the BRF funding, the Queen and Prince Philip are directly funded by Parliament as monarch and consort. No-one else in the family is. Some receive expenses when needed from the Sovereign Fund. The Queen also has the Duchy of Lancaster to fund her and help some relatives with their living expenses. That doesn't include Harry.

Charles is funded by the Duchy of Cornwall, and from that he gives allowances to the Cambridges and Harry. The Duchies of Cornwall and Lancaster are ancient and operate, as everything else does, with the approval of Parliament. They aren't directly funded by the British public.

This is very true.

My point was mainly, that the British public still has no say. That would be insane. Let's have a public vote whom Harry should marry.

Or better yet, lets make it a reality show where the prize is marriage to Prince Henry of Wales and a title and a job for life.

OH! Waitaminute! Its already been done. Nevermind. :hiding:

If marrying any prince (from any country) was a simple straightforward matter, then permission of the monarch/government would not be necessary. Its required because of the "job" aspect which includes representing the country.

Richard Palmer discussed this on his Twitter Page last November, and stated that from what he had gathered from his sources at BP was that when the Harry/Meghan romance becomes serious 'the happiness of Prince Harry will be paramount.'

If Harry went to the Queen today and said that he wished to marry she might very well counsel waiting. However, I have no doubt that her permission would be forthcoming, whether Harry decides to wait a few months or not.

Last edited:
I’m surprised there are people here who feel British taxpayers should have a say in who Harry should marry.. Are you kiding?? Just imagine everyone would have a say in this. The poor guy would never find a wife. No one would ever agree. Besides it’s his private life. He should marry whomever he damn well pleases.

Thank you for the links

Sadly, I wont debate about my opinions on the Duchy of Cornwall as I will steer more off topic.

It says online both Harry and William inherited 10 million each from their late mother.

Harry can marry whoever he wants, but if he wants her to represent us, I can have a say online. I hope I can anyway. I know he won't read this or listen, but I'm allowed to voice my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, it would be better for them to live together for one year and during that time gradually introduce her to the British public.

I still believe she's not appropriate for the job because of her sexualised career. Though I have no say apparently as a member of the tax paying British public.

I also thought Harry inherited millions from his mother? He could happily live without a title and royal duties, join the army, and visit Africa as often as he likes. He would love that. Would Meghan?

It must seem romantic going back and forth visiting each other, but living together for one year and getting into the routine of a "married" couple would really prove they are compatible. I don't believe they are compatible, but again just my opinion. Harry loves the safari camping holidays, Meghan loves the luxury resort holidays. I hope I'm wrong and Meghan isn't just putting up with these holidays.

All in all, I truly hope it works out for Harry.

Are you kidding? Can you really see Harry giving up being Royal? he's been in the army and left it
He inherited money from his mother but it is not enough to pay for his lifestyle and for royal engagemetns so Charles pays a lot of his expense.
Do you really think that Harry's going to give up his royal status to marry anyone be she actress or aristocrat or whatever?
I agree as it happens that I don't think she's suitable, or at least that she should probably give up acting in the US for a while and live with H quietly in England... but it does seem like H si serious about her. I agree that a long distance romance often does not work out and that's all they have had...

I’m . Besides it’s his private life. He should marry whomever he damn well pleases.
Its not just his private life.. he can marry whom he wishes, provided she's sutiable for royal life. I think that the queen is still trying ot make srure that her grandchildren do pick partners that they will stay witt and in the case of a royal like Harry, that his partner is suitable for her job as Princess. However I think that she should insist that If H wants permission to marry her, he should have her to live with him here in the UK for a time...

Everyone's opinion here counts as long as its presented in a non discriminatory manner, based on credible sources that can be provided and adds to a reasonable flow of conversations without causing disruption. :D

Neither Harry or Meghan individually are hurting for money. Meghan's net worth has been estimated around the five million mark. Along with Harry's inheritance from his mother, Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother also put 2/3 of her money into a trust fund for her great grandchildren supposedly to be around 19 million. Its quite probable that both Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles have also set up trust funds for their descendants.

What we're seeing here now is that a monetary gain is not in any way, shape or form an "incentive" to marry. If anything, Meghan is, in my eyes, more than accomplished enough to fill the role of a senior working royal in the "Firm" by Harry's side.

There IS a degree to which anyone who marries into a Royal Family [especially ours] becomes 'public property'.. it is simply the way it is...
So it isn't sufficient that Harry loves her, she will need the [long-term] goodwill of the British public- a public that has an unpleasant predilection for putting people on pedestals, then knocking them off.. that too is simply the way it is...
If they marry, I will wish them well, but Ms Markle would be well advised to remember that opinion here 'turns on a sixpence'...

True I respect your opinion.

If it's true she has that much money, I hope she helped her parents out from both their separate bankruptcy. I would hate to think she isn't charitable to her family members. I certainly wouldn't leave my parents in that state if I had that kind of money.

I thought it would be more important for what she did after her marriage rather who she was before marriage. We know nothing about Meghan AS a royal member, so I don't think we can say, she is not suitable to be a part of RF. Yes I agree she has to gain the acceptance from both British and RF if she want to marry Henry, but what I see is some people just say no while nothing really happen.

btw I don't think giving up his status can solve anything, probably some people would just say they are irresponsible. People always find reasons to complain :closedeye

I don't think Meghan will have any trouble remembering opinion in the UK turns on a sixpence....she's been dealing with the media most of her life AND she is surely aware of the situation with Diana and the press...not to mention Charles/Camilla and the press..and William/Kate and the press...Andy/Sarah and the press.

Harry isn't going to go by media driven public opinion when he takes a wife as well he shouldn't. No woman would want a man like that either.

They would not still be dating if there had been any issues raised from the family or compatibility between themselves.

LaRae

If it's true she has that much money, I hope she helped her parents out from both their separate bankruptcy. I would hate to think she isn't charitable to her family members. I certainly wouldn't leave my parents in that state if I had that kind of money.

As a parent I would not take money from my children in that sort of situation. My guess is that would be the feeling from many parents.

She should not be held responsible in any way for the finances of her parents.

LaRae

Meghan is close to her parents, especially her mother, but has also spoken lovingly of her father in the past. I'm sure she's helped them as much as she is able on all sorts of occasions. They might have refused any help though. We know here that British tabloids like the Daily Fail love making mountains out of the tiniest of mole hills but neither Meghan nor her parents have said a word to any media about their personal relationship, family finances or anything else, and that shows a great degree of discretion, IMHO.

This reply is not directed to anyone's post. Just sharing my updated opinion on this matter which isn't important, just freedom of speech...

PS: Anyone that says "well I met my husband and we got engaged after only a few months" is not understanding this is not a normal simple life marriage. Meghan will be taking on a highly public job where she will be representing the British public and we will be paying her to do so.

My own opinion, Meghan is not suitable because of her reputation, involving sexualised scenes and photos. Sorry, but this is just my opinion and a lot of BRITISH public opinion. We are the ones paying the taxes and this is what we feel...

Well, I am one of those you mention in your “P.S.” that met and got engaged quickly (11 mos.). Marriage a year after, Baby #1 10 months after wedding. Now, married 20 years with four kids.

I would argue that I do very much understand Harry and Meghan would not be living a “simple life marriage.” And I would also argue that you could look at the fact that they seem to have connected so quickly, and may be moving in terms some may consider quickly, to indicate they are a perfect match. They just knew, and when it’s right, it’s right.

I hope they marry. I think they would be a wonderful part of the BRF.

Well, I am one of those you mention in your “P.S.” that met and got engaged quickly (11 mos.). Marriage a year after, Baby #1 10 months after wedding. Now, married 20 years with four kids.

I would argue that I do very much understand Harry and Meghan would not be living a “simple life marriage.” And I would also argue that you could look at the fact that they seem to have connected so quickly, and may be moving in terms some may consider quickly, to indicate they are a perfect match. They just knew, and when it’s right, it’s right.

I hope they marry. I think they would be a wonderful part of the BRF.

ITA!

We aren't talking about kids in their early 20's who are still trying to figure out who they are. They are both experienced (in the ways of the world) adults who seem pretty confident in who they are as a person. When you are at this place in life decisions tend to be much more certain and you don't waste time faffing about.

I knew the day I met my husband we would marry. Weird I know...but we've been married almost 30 years. It happens.

LaRae

I'm sorry, princesslily, but how can you possibly speak, as you claim to, for the majority of the British public, when you say that 'they' feel that Meghan is unsuitable. How many millions of the 65 million plus of the U.K. population have you personally surveyed on this question? 60 million, 20 million, 5 million, one ?

Of course commenters on the Daily Fail online sites complain about everything and everyone, illogical, irrational and in some cases just idiotic. But you aren't taking their cretinous opinions into account, are you?

As for Harry enjoying different holidays to Meghan, I can assure you, that, as a longtime Harry fan, (since he was 19 as a matter of fact) that although he is a simple guy in his tastes, Harry has stayed at many luxurious resorts in his adult life, and I'm sure has very much enjoyed them. Case in point, the Google conference he attended this year before Africa was held at an ultra luxurious complex.

Last edited:
Again,

If things become official, the British people will be formally introduced to Miss Markle and they will see for themselves on how amazing this young woman is and they will get to know even more about her.

We've been through this before. It's about taking the time to get to know these young ladies in the formal way after the engagement.

With her profession as an actress on a successful tv show and humanitarian, we have the chance to get a glimpse of her bubbly, beautiful and kind personality. Whereas, with previous royal girlfriends, they were blank canvases for many years and that gave the media and people online the chance to paint whatever picture they wanted on those young ladies.

Last edited:
I find it hilarious, that the tabloids are digging up info on Meghan from 2003. How scandalous, 14 years ago Meghan went partying. That article did point out, that she's a very sociable person, charming and gets on well with different kinds of people.

I and those I know never had a say on whom Prince Charles decided to marry or the choice of wife Prince William settled on, and we didn't expect to either. Both these women regardless of Camilla's connection to the gentry and Kate's English middle class background were still 'commoners', before marriage. They were neither royalty nor aristocratic but the Queen granted permissions for their nuptials to take place regardless. Which is just fine. I just find it ludicrous that some people other than the Queen feel they ought to a have a choice on Harry's preference for a wife, (for whatever reason.) It doesn't work like that.

I guess everyone has their own definition of what it means to be 'low-rent' and to whom it applies . It is not for me to read minds in order to spell it out. The point is the term is derogatory in nature.

In relation to the racial abuse etc directed at Meghan that I referred to earlier, I don't do pm's unless absolutely necessary but I feel the statement released by Kensington Palace late last year was in itself self-explanatory. I haven't the time or inclination to go back wading through numerous agenda-ridden article pieces laden with nasty sarcasm and dog whistles just so I can link to the reams of vile comments. It's there in black & white if you care to look yourself. And if you have an actual understanding and appreciation of what racial prejudice really is.

If I'm not mistaken, the only thing that directly is paid by the taxpayers when it comes to Harry's wife would be her security. Indirectly, taxpayer funds are used to cover the cost of official royal engagements Meghan would undertake on behalf of the Queen.

Harry isn't strapped financially and their private lifestyle and any staff would be supplemented by Charles' own personal income from the Duchy of Cornwall as he now finances Camilla, the Cambridge family and Harry.

Not much to be concerned about Meghan gobbling up taxpayer funds at all if you look at the reality of it. Her job as a senior working royal comes with the marriage and not the marriage with the job of being a senior working royal. :D

As for the racist comments, they are something that isn't allowed here and would have been long deleted by now. If you're that interested, Google is your friend. ;)

Beautifully put, thank you.?

They were neither royalty nor aristocratic but the Queen granted permissions for their nuptials to take place regardless

ALL British Women, unless Royal or Peeresses 'in their own right' are commoners. ONLY the Peer himself is 'Noble'- not his wife, not his son & heir, not his daughter. They hold whatever title the have, as a 'courtesy title'. This system is very different from that operating in Europe, where ALL descendants/relatives of a Noble are Noble themselves.

This reply is not directed to anyone's post. Just sharing my updated opinion on this matter which isn't important, just freedom of speech.

I do believe Harry will marry Meghan because he feels she's the only one that will take on the duties and he really wants to be married and have a family of his own.

But just visiting each other back and forth after just over a year of dating and proposing is crazy. I'm not saying it won't or has happened as I understand the supposed rush because of Meghan's age, but they really need to live together for one year while Harry introduces her to the BRITISH public gradually before an official engagement is announced. This rushing is nuts!

PS: Anyone that says "well I met my husband and we got engaged after only a few months" is not understanding this is not a normal simple life marriage. Meghan will be taking on a highly public job where she will be representing the British public and we will be paying her to do so.

My own opinion, Meghan is not suitable because of her reputation, involving sexualised scenes and photos. Sorry, but this is just my opinion and a lot of BRITISH public opinion. We are the ones paying the taxes and this is what we feel.

Harry will still marry her though because honestly, it's his choice and he's not going to be King. Still, she's unsuitable to be a member of the senior Royal family.

This is my own opinion and freedom of speech. You may disagree with me. I don't mind.

I respect your right to your opinion. Based on your opinion, do you believe Prince Charles is suitable to be King based on his "Camillagate" tape declarations? And no, I am not getting this off topic and on to Prince Charles. I am just trying to understand completely.

If you're talking about those audio tapes then yes visual evidence is a lot worse than audio. All you have to do is google Meghan Markle and a lot of sexy photos and sex scene youtube videos appear in the search. That is a lot worse.

And Charles gradually introduced Camilla to the British public as his partner before they got engaged. He didn't surprise everyone with an engagement and then introduce her.

This courtship has been badly handled with all the previous hiding after that girlfriend announcement last November. William never hid Kate. Harry should have gradually introduced her and not just snog her in public at the Polo to show he's serious about her.

I'm not saying he won't propose, I'm sure he will surprise us, but all I'm saying is it would be better to live together for one year and gradually introduce her during that year before announcing an official engagement.

All these Enews reports in my opinion have been leaked and Harry's change of attitude with all the bad PR interviews complaining. Ikonpictures on Twitter said his PR should be fired.

Last edited:
To me, the whole idea of being suitable or not is quite interesting. It implies that you can decide if a person should get the job (in this case, marry into the royal family) based on things like previous actions, background and other factors. Is that even possible? And if so, is it preferable?

We've had this discussion several times here in Sweden. The first wave came when Victoria started going out with her mysterious personal trainer and gym owner, Daniel from rural Ockelbo. He was a regular middle class guy with a hockey cap and totally without royal/noble manners and connections. Could he really marry our crown princess? Yes he could, and he did. And today, I would say that no one has any objections. He has proven himself to be a wonderful husband, father and support to his family, as well as an asset to the royal family in general.

To top things off, Carl Philip ditched his long time and seemingly perfectly suited girlfriend, and started going out with a girl who had been a glamour model and participated in reality TV-shows. She even had tattoos! And you probably all know how that ended: They had their second child just two days ago. Sofia has really proven to be an asset to the family. Being with her has really turned Carl Philip into a more self secure and calm person. She hasn't put her foot wrong since the engagement, and has ignored all the evil comments about her.

My point is: what is suitable and what is not? In my opinion, the most suitable person is one who is very much in love with his/her spouse, and gives him/her the best of support and strength. Just like in any relationship. If you are used to handle media, like Meghan, that is just a big plus. In fact, I can't see anything that would stop her from becoming a huge success as a new member of the royal family, and a supportive wife and mother.

And on a sidenote: I married young, and no, that didn't end well. At 43, I met my current husband. I knew from day one that we would end up together. He moved in with me five weeks later, and we married 18 months after that. We just knew, and he's the best thing that ever happened to me. I'm not saying that it's like that for everyone, but it's totally possible that Harry and Meghan knew from the start where they would end up, but chose to let things take their time due to the special circumstances. I wish them all the best, no matter what the future brings for them.

Those royals dated their BF/GF for several years and were gradually introduced to the public before getting engaged. That is the difference. AND they lived together before getting engaged.

This quicky one year visiting each other back and forth is madness to propose so soon. Only because of Meghan's age to have children!

You lived together and married 18 months later. That sounds good to me.

Last edited:
But if it's really with them like Xenobia says - and they want to form a family - they rather don't have time to wait (Meghan turned 36 a month ago, her biological clock is already ticking).

Except Meghan is NOT a "low-rent" actress however much some would desperately like for her to be viewed as such. She may not have been a classically trained high profile actress but that surely doesn't classify her as low-rent. She obtained a full education and has work experience in other areas as others have already mentioned. Everyone will have their opinions though which they are completely entitled to and that's fine. Meghan's parents are not money-bags and it is actually quite an achievement what she's accomplished so far, considering...

Anyway, tabloids and a certain type of people will always be snide with their noses up in the air just as they previously were with the unkind narrative of DoC knocking her down as---'Waity Katie with her grasping social climbing mother & family desperately clinging on, hanging around for eons waiting for the ring'---.

That description was so unfair and I'm sure no one with any common sense ever gave that load of tosh any credence.

That being said, what has been happening to Meghan though is just plain nasty as well as sinister. The subliminal, underlying tones of racism & prejudice is undeniable, and most times it's just outright there.

Isn't Prince Charles' income funded by the public?

I understand we are going off topic here, but their palaces (including Prince Harry's accomodation), transport, everything is funded by the public as well as the Queen's investments.

I'm sure it isn't only her security. Their future country home's renovations will be funded by the public. Her lifestyle is paid by us, including her private holidays once she marries.

I thought it would be more important for what she did after her marriage rather who she was before marriage. We know nothing about Meghan AS a royal member, so I don't think we can say, she is not suitable to be a part of RF. Yes I agree she has to gain the acceptance from both British and RF if she want to marry Henry, but what I see is some people just say no while nothing really happen.

btw I don't think giving up his status can solve anything, probably some people would just say they are irresponsible. People always find reasons to complain :closedeye

I and those I know never had a say on whom Prince Charles decided to marry or the choice of wife Prince William settled on, and we didn't expect to either. Both these women regardless of Camilla's connection to the gentry and Kate's English middle class background were still 'commoners', before marriage. They were neither royalty nor aristocratic but the Queen granted permissions for their nuptials to take place regardless. Which is just fine. I just find it ludicrous that some people other than the Queen feel they ought to a have a choice on Harry's preference for a wife, (for whatever reason.) It doesn't work like that.

I guess everyone has their own definition of what it means to be 'low-rent' and to whom it applies . It is not for me to read minds in order to spell it out. The point is the term is derogatory in nature.

In relation to the racial abuse etc directed at Meghan that I referred to earlier, I don't do pm's unless absolutely necessary but I feel the statement released by Kensington Palace late last year was in itself self-explanatory. I haven't the time or inclination to go back wading through numerous agenda-ridden article pieces laden with nasty sarcasm and dog whistles just so I can link to the reams of vile comments. It's there in black & white if you care to look yourself. And if you have an actual understanding and appreciation of what racial prejudice really is.
You are correct, Meghan is not a low-rent actress, I was merely pointing out that utterly vile rubbish is already well-established on forums (NOT TRF) and YouTube clips. Nobody with a whit of intelligence watches them let alone believes them. Unfortunately, because I watch a lot of royal clips they are "Recommended" when I log in as a computer cannot distinguish between truth, honest speculation and hateful lies. Fortunately, this forum keeps threads that veer into inappropriate avenues, well under control.

As to comments about money, the BRF cost the British taxpayers the princely sum of 62p as at June 2016. I don't believe the size of that "investment" qualifies anyone for a seat at a shareholders meeting to decide who can marry whom within the BRF.

As to Meghan's suitability as a royal wife? I think she has a lot more going for her than many other women of Harry's acquaintance. she is a confident, savvy, well-educated woman with a lucrative career and a "life" outside that career that is, by her own choice, public through her humanitarian work. Her address at the UN where she described herself as a feminist was well worth listening to. Surprisingly she still manages to maintain a high degree of privacy by being discreet and not coy.

Well that pressure is like giving an ultimatum so soon and in my opinion feel it is too rushed to test if you are really compatible with one another and able to take on life as a royal which is completely different to being a celebrity and comes with a lot of protocol so I don't see Meghan's media background giving her an advantage. It's a completely different lifestyle with expectations and restrictions.

Would you please provide me a list of how much humanitarian work Meghan's has done? Did she volunteer on a regular basis or just pay a few visits? All I see is two PR based visits, one to Africa and the other to India, and one speech talking about how she feels.

I would hope she's not one of those celebrities that exaggerates her "humanitarian" work as so many celebrities seem to use that for PR.

No one on this thread has either said (a) the public should decide who Harry should marry or whether (b) publically again decide (en masse??) if the candidate is suitable.
That's not an issue for the public, but an issue for HMQ and Harry.

All that has been said is that whoever he marries will also marry "the job" (and Harry has also said this) and that if it is Meghan, she has more obstacles to overcome than previous brides as she is not British. She has not lived here, doesn't have her own friends here (personal support mechanism) and there are cultural differences. From personal experience there is a huge difference between living in the UK and living in US.

This last comment isn't racist - its about the differences in US/UK culture.

All you Meghan fans - don't get irritated about these type of comments. They are just practical and realistic and therefore positive because those posters saying this do understand the issues and therefore would cut her some slack if it comes to being a new member of the BRF.

BTW - met and married my husband within 10 months. Our 30th anniversary is next week.

Maybe I'm too conservative, but acting in sex scenes, lingerie is a low-rent actress to me.

Right I'm not dictating that it's my choice or the public. I'm just stating my opinion here online as freedom of speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom