Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
People keep trying to compare Meghan and this relationship to other BRF relationships, but there hasn't really been a royal girlfriend like her. Most of them did not necessarily have a career or other outside obligations that needed to be navigated. Well Sophie did, but she wasn't a public person at the time, so it was a little easier.

Sophie - when she married Edward - hadn't planned on being a full time royal - she thought she was going to keep running her business and not have to be in the firm, really.

( I was always said she wasn't able to continue her PR career, but I get why it didn't work. I still think she bring value to the BRF having had a career and run her own company.)

Honestly - I think the women who have worked before becoming royalty are turning out to be the best in terms of simply getting things done. Sophie is considered a favorite of the Queen because she has applied her work ethic and skills directly to her job and she's kicking @ss at it. Did Camilla work before she married into the BRF? Because she's apparently doing a great job as well. Maybe the more established you are as a career woman, the more capable you are at managing your patronages and charities and getting ish done. I think Meghan will be right in the mix, killing it a la Sophie.

Sophie - when she married Edward - hadn't planned on being a full time royal - she thought she was going to keep running her business and not have to be in the firm, really.

Honestly - I think the women who have worked before becoming royalty are turning out to be the best in terms of simply getting things done. Sophie is considered a favorite of the Queen because she has applied her work ethic and skills directly to her job and she's kicking @ss at it. Did Camilla work before she married into the BRF? Because she's apparently doing a great job as well. Maybe the more established you are as a career woman, the more capable you are at managing your patronages and charities and getting ish done. I think Meghan will be right in the mix, killing it a la Sophie.

Agreed. There is something to be said for having had responsibilities. Having to adhere to a schedule, have people depending on you to show up, on time and prepared. Having to answer to a boss. Which is why I agree Meghan will be fine. The girl knows how to hustle! She's had to do less than glamorous jobs to pay the bills. Apparently she used to free freelance as a calligrapher to make extra money. Maybe she and Sophie will hit it off!

As for Camilla, I don't believe she has ever really worked. But apparently she was a pretty hands on mom and pretty down to earth. Some people just have a strong work ethic no matter what they are doing.

Career or not, it does seem like spouses who've had to work towards goals and get things done in one way or other tend to bring a lot to the job of royal work. In Camilla's case, I don't think she ever had a career beyond traditional society wife, but by the time she became royal she'd been through the experience of raising kids, forged a course through divorce and scandal, worked through the pain and sense of loss when people near to her died. Those things aren't jobs but they're certainly work.

Sophie's PR work definitely has applications in royal life; the same could be said for the Danish Princess Mary and Marie's backgrounds in marketing, the Spanish Queen Letizia's history in TV, the Dutch Queen Maxima's former role as an administrator in the financial world. I think we've already seen through the example of Princess Grace that Meghan's career could have similarly transferable skills.

I, for somewhat reason, do not seem to like the Harry and Meghan couple. I don't know why but it feels like there is something off.....

Generally, going along with the conversation, Sophie definitely is one of the best women before royalty and I love how she and Edward work well together. Their children seem good as well.

Well, the next generation after the Queen's children is still coming and we can look foward to Beartrice and Eugenie as well as the rest

It wouldn't surprise me at all that they were talking about marriage within 3 to 6 months of meeting/dating.

LaRae

I agree, I believe marriage was on the table at an earlier stage, and I would think that the Queen and courtiers would advise waiting a year or two.

I agree, I believe marriage was on the table at an earlier stage, and I would think that the Queen and courtiers would advise waiting a year or two.

Which by the time they marry it (most likely) will be two years or just after.

If they announce an engagement and she moves to London by year end, they'll have their 5/6 months living together and adjusting to everything beforehand.

LaRae

Agreed.

I'm sure the Queen and courtiers were also involved once Harry knew how serious he was. They were probably consulted before he sent out his statement last year.

Agreed.

I'm sure the Queen and courtiers were also involved once Harry knew how serious he was. They were probably consulted before he sent out his statement last year.

I can't imagine they weren't. Harry has way too much respect for his grandmother than to completely blindside her with something like that. He may bristle at being a royal at times, but there is no doubt he respects his grandmother and her position. He's often said, she is basically his boss. I truly believe if his grandmother felt really strongly about something, he'd respect that.

Well it sure seems to me, all the indications point to an announcement coming soon. Like any couple planning and preparing it’s been discussed with their family I would think. The frenzy because it’s high profile is only starting. I can understand why they would want “their time” for as long as possible

[/B]

I can't imagine they weren't. Harry has way too much respect for his grandmother than to completely blindside her with something like that. He may bristle at being a royal at times, but there is no doubt he respects his grandmother and her position. He's often said, she is basically his boss. I truly believe if his grandmother felt really strongly about something, he'd respect that.

That's exactly why I feel BP had no problems with the VF article. If his grandmother told him to tone it down, IG wouldn't have happened. In fact, it was the most open Harry has been. It wasn't just the closing ceremony, but holding hand arriving together to an engagement, and both shaking hands and chatting with competitors and spectators afterwards? That's something else.

There were differences with the Invictus Games. At the opening ceremony, Meghan was in attendance but sat separately from Harry. Of course, Harry was there in an official capacity for the opening. Further into the games, we didn't see Meghan only attending but being included and being actively involved with what Harry was doing as a spectator himself at the events. Then, with the closing ceremony, we once again saw Harry seated with official dignitaries and Meghan and her mother and friends seated in a VIP box. Harry, though, did make it a point to go to the box and interact warmly with Meghan, her mother and friends. As it was the closing of the games, all had been said and done with an over with and his interactions would have had no basis for any kind of a negative story.

So, along with acting as protocol dictated with his role with the IG, he was also able to add in the personal aspect of it. It meshed beautifully if you ask me. This couple is guarded and plainly trying to do everything the right way. That's maturity. They're not blindly riding off into the sunset with rainbows and unicorns clouding their eyes but approaching a mature partnership being sure every step is a correct one and done right and properly.

These reasons tell me that this isn't just a royal romance but the beginning of a royal partnership that will last a lifetime. At least I hope so.

It wouldn't surprise me at all that they were talking about marriage within 3 to 6 months of meeting/dating.

LaRae
I believe you are correct. When it's right, it's right so I think they just went ahead planning their future together while each fulfilled their obligations and managed to keep building their relationship without the intrusion of the media. I think when Harry released a statement about the media last November and then nothing happened, many thought the relationship was merely a passing affair that foundered on the rocks of time and distance. Interestingly his Uncle Edward had to do the same for Sophie . . . funny how everything Harry does is tagged as "breaking with BRF tradition" or some such.

I also believe that they are already engaged but without the outward trappings to muddy the waters while they both honour their obligations. Having Meghan sporting engagement bling would likely have impacted on her ability to do her job and also would most likely have skewed the audience opinion of what was happening on screen in the show.

As a consequence, I think it is possible that once an official engagement is announced people will be surprised by how soon the wedding date is. Then again, the BRF doesn't "do" long engagements, just time enough to organise the wedding.

Interestingly his Uncle Edward had to do the same for Sophie . . . funny how everything Harry does is tagged as "breaking with BRF tradition" or some such.

So funny you mentioned this! I was looking for something else on line and ran across an old article about Edward and Sophie that mentioned this very thing. Well, well, well. Color me shocked!

I believe you are correct. When it's right, it's right so I think they just went ahead planning their future together while each fulfilled their obligations and managed to keep building their relationship without the intrusion of the media. I think when Harry released a statement about the media last November and then nothing happened, many thought the relationship was merely a passing affair that foundered on the rocks of time and distance. Interestingly his Uncle Edward had to do the same for Sophie . . . funny how everything Harry does is tagged as "breaking with BRF tradition" or some such.

I also believe that they are already engaged but without the outward trappings to muddy the waters while they both honour their obligations. Having Meghan sporting engagement bling would likely have impacted on her ability to do her job and also would most likely have skewed the audience opinion of what was happening on screen in the show.

As a consequence, I think it is possible that once an official engagement is announced people will be surprised by how soon the wedding date is. Then again, the BRF doesn't "do" long engagements, just time enough to organise the wedding.

If they announce by end of Dec, they could easily swing a March wedding. I think it more likely they will do May or June but they are fully capable of surprising everyone and just getting it done so there's isn't a long build up of wedding frenzy going on for months.

Then again, they could wait an announce after the first of the year to avoid a long wedding frenzy.

Hard to know, they are playing almost everything very close to the chest and can't say I blame them. Very smart on their part.

LaRae

That's exactly why I feel BP had no problems with the VF article. If his grandmother told him to tone it down, IG wouldn't have happened. In fact, it was the most open Harry has been. It wasn't just the closing ceremony, but holding hand arriving together to an engagement, and both shaking hands and chatting with competitors and spectators afterwards? That's something else.

Yep..no way they did the VF article and then the I.G. right after without running it past whomever needed to know and/or approve of things.

He has tons of respect for his grandmother. He's not going to blindside her.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
Easter is April 1 next year so Lent will start in February and run through all of March. That’s not really big party wedding time of the year. Harry might not be super religious but the Queen is and she is in charge.

I completely agree that Meghan and Harry had some kind of understanding before she ended her Reitman's contract and before she shut down The Tig. I also think they planned the VF article along with the BRF. There is no way any self respecting feminist would a) shut down her streams of income and b) put herself "out there" like she did in the VF article without having an understanding of what she'd be replacing those things with.

What does feminism have to do with Meghan's decision?

Easter is April 1 next year so Lent will start in February and run through all of March. That’s not really big party wedding time of the year. Harry might not be super religious but the Queen is and she is in charge.

If they do a smaller wedding that could still work. Also people do get married during Lent over there. I'm not sure what the Queen thinks about it.

LaRae

Most people don’t have the Supreme Gov of the CoE as Granny and the Archbishop of Canterbury marrying you. So I would not think a Lenten wedding would be highly unlikely.

Most people don’t have the Supreme Gov of the CoE as Granny and the Archbishop of Canterbury marrying you. So I would not think a Lenten wedding would be highly unlikely.

Can wedding ceremonies be held in the CoE during the Lent period ? I am not sure, but I believe it is not possible to do it in a Roman Catholic church.

Can wedding ceremonies be held in the CoE during the Lent period ? I am not sure, but I believe it is not possible to do it in a Roman Catholic church.

Actually Catholics can marry during Lent. However weddings are forbidden on Good Friday and Holy Saturday.

If a Catholic couple marries during Lent they are expected to tone down the decorations etc.

LaRae

According to the Church of England's website about weddings, it's up to each particular church/vicar to decide whether they will perform weddings during Lent. Of those that will allow a ceremony, some won't allow decorations in the sanctuary during that period.

Given that there's evidently a current of thought in the church saying Lent is an inappropriate time for weddings, I agree with SkippyBoo that the Archbishop and Queen would likely not love the idea of a Lenten wedding for her grandson.

https://www.yourchurchwedding.org/

I, for somewhat reason, do not seem to like the Harry and Meghan couple. I don't know why but it feels like there is something off....).

Just browsing through this after a few months absence, but , I get the same feeling. I do hope I am wrong ,for the sake of all concerned, but it seems to me that sometimes this marriage is what the press and the public want.

What does feminism have to do with Meghan's decision?

Since Meghan has herself said numerous times that she is a feminist, it stands to reason most of her decisions in life, including how she approaches relationships, would follow that thought process. Of course the word feminists means different things to different people. Looking at Meghan's life she has focused a good part of her charity work on empowering women and girls. In her own life she has shown herself to be ambitious and able to take care of herself. In my opinion, someone like her would not walk away from potential revenue streams like her clothing line and blog, solely because she was someone's girlfriend. That's just not a smart thing to do. Unless you have an understanding that you are transitioning into something else in your life. That's just my opinion on how her feminism factors into her choices.

Last edited:
Just browsing through this after a few months absence, but , I get the same feeling. I do hope I am wrong ,for the sake of all concerned, but it seems to me that sometimes this marriage is what the press and the public want.

While it is so very true that with Harry and Meghan keeping things so close to themselves and personal, the press and the public has gone wild with speculations of what *could* be and what *should* be and that, in and of itself, raises a lot of expectations on the couple themselves.

If we go by the factual knowledge we have of this relationship, the very few words that the couple has actually spoken and the actions this couple has taken over the past year and a half about of their relationship, its does seem to be pointing to be something very serious and a relationship that is being handled in a mature and responsible manner. This is a relationship that most definitely cannot be measured by PDAs but rather the intensity of the privacy of it all.

It will be of no surprise to all of us if and when an engagement is announced. That's for sure. :D

I would like to understand what is leading some people to this thought, other than they don't like Meghan and Harry as a couple.

Last November KP issued a strong statement on Harry's behalf telling the media and people to back off the racist commentary and invasion of privacy of Meghan's family.

Meghan shut down her social media, then in April closed down the Tig and discontinued her affiliation with Reitman's. She has reportedly declined to sign up for another season of Suits should it be renewed for an 8th season. All strong indications she is moving on to a new phase of her life.

Harry and Meghan made a visible public statement about themselves as a couple at the Invictus Games.

What in all this indicates they're not serious and are not looking at marriage as the end goal?

I am quite sure that Harry and Meghan would call it quits if they wouldn't want to be married (they haven't confirmed wanting to get married so far - no engagement announcement -, so the option of calling it quits still exists, although I don't expect them to). They certainly won't let the public or the media 'force' them into marriage.

Yeah this isn't the early 80's and they aren't his parents.

LaRae

I would like to understand what is leading some people to this thought, other than they don't like Meghan and Harry as a couple.

One can think they are a cute couple and still be wary of thinking they are headed for marriage. :cool: There are innumerable indications that suggest they are not necessarily a 'done deal', but having a gnarly back-and-forth conversation about that is pointless imo.

Last November KP issued a strong statement on Harry's behalf telling the media and people to back off the racist commentary and invasion of privacy of Meghan's family.

Meghan shut down her social media, then in April closed down the Tig and discontinued her affiliation with Reitman's. She has reportedly declined to sign up for another season of Suits should it be renewed for an 8th season. All strong indications she is moving on to a new phase of her life.

Harry and Meghan made a visible public statement about themselves as a couple at the Invictus Games.

What in all this indicates they're not serious and are not looking at marriage as the end goal?

Well, the strong statement could be taken as just that: the press were making a private citizen's life unbearable solely because of affiliation with Harry. Seems reasonable to me to say something about that. If Harry hadn't (and doesn't in the future with anyone else) he'd be finding it very hard to date methinks.

All of Meghan's actions can be viewed as short term actions. None of them are irrevocable, and maybe she was already thinking of some changes. Who knows. I think she was getting some ugly stuff via social media, so shutting that down was an easy decision.

She could certainly be thinking of moving to London to live-in with Harry. Such a move does not presage marriage necessarily in my book. It's also a good career move on many levels.

As for the Invictus Games, that was clearly a show, yes. Unusual, in fact. More for Harry than for her, I think. He's the one to watch. Meghan is saying yes to an adventure. I'm with her on that. But marriage? If I were her girlfriend I'd caution great care, go slow. This is a situation that may not be what it seems. That's what I'd caution and she'd then do what she wants. :flowers:

I think Harry is looking at marriage as the end goal. He is doing all he can to win her. But how far Meghan may be willing to go at this point, well, we'll be finding out. 20/20 is always superior. ;)

Last edited:

I agree.

I don't get this idea, that the public and press are somehow pushing for an engagement and marriage, when it's Meghan and Harry's actions that lead people to believe they'll get married.

Firstly Harry's statement, he clearly showed with that, that they're a serious couple. Then Meghan slowing down her social media, closing The Tig, and ending her Reitman's contract. The VF interview, then the 3 appearances at the IG, accompanied by Meghan's mother at the closing ceremonies. Meghan supposedly leaving Suits. These actions are leading people to think, that they'll get engaged soon, or announce it soon.

Many royal followers were writing Meghan off as a fling, even after Harry's statement. But Harry and Meghan making clear, serious moves has made them change their minds. No one was thinking they'd be a serious pairing, when the gossip about them started, many were a bit confused about how these two could even be a match. So, I don't think this engagement is a press or public pushed idea, but something Meghan and Harry want, and have wanted from quite early on.

One can think they are a cute couple and still be wary of thinking they are headed for marriage. :cool: There are innumerable indications that suggest they are not necessarily a 'done deal', but having a gnarly back-and-forth conversation about that is pointless imo.

Well, the strong statement could be taken as just that: the press were making a private citizen's life unbearable solely because of affiliation with Harry. Seems reasonable to me to say something about that. If Harry hadn't (and doesn't in the future with anyone else) he'd be finding it very hard to date methinks.

All of Meghan's actions can be viewed as short term actions. None of them are irrevocable, and maybe she was already thinking of some changes. Who knows. I think she was getting some ugly stuff via social media, so shutting that down was an easy decision.

She could certainly be thinking of moving to London to live-in with Harry. Such a move does not presage marriage necessarily in my book. It's also a good career move on many levels.

As for the Invictus Games, that was clearly a show, yes. Unusual, in fact. More for Harry than for her, I think. He's the one to watch. Meghan is saying yes to an adventure. I'm with her on that. But marriage? If I were her girlfriend I'd caution great care, go slow. This is a situation that may not be what it seems. That's what I'd caution and she'd then do what she wants. :flowers:

I think Harry is looking at marriage as the end goal. He is doing all he can to win her. But how far Meghan may be willing to go at this point, well, we'll be finding out. 20/20 is always superior. ;)

What are these 'innumerable indications' you are speaking of?

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom