Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm Queen E I would say that due to slavery in the U.S. Meghan would (since it seems she has ancestors who were enslaved) be in the same situation as Blacks in the U.K.

LaRae

It is not the same situation. Colonialism & slavery are two different things. British colonialism ended much more recently with most countries only geting their independence in the last 50-60 years. Also the British monarchy had a direct hand in colonialism & the Queen is still head of the commonwealth. The relationship between black brits & the British monarchy is very different.

Last edited:
That's what I am referring to when I mention pressure. :sad: Does Meghan really understand what she is setting up here? Harry is clearly eager, but what if she decides she wants out? Just wondering. This is not a normal situation. Of course, she may have already committed, said yes, and it's all a done deal. No going back for her or them. Likely so, in fact. Her mother is okay with it. Says it all. :flowers:

Why is there no going back? Harry's previous girlfriends joined him to official events, they shared a photographed kiss, etc. I won't say the situation is exactly the same but 'no going back' is quite extreme. If she would really want to (which seems unlikely) there would be a way. The first several months would be hard but attention would fade slowly - although she would always be remembered as Harry's girlfriend (with or without IG).

If we jump to a different royal family, the Swedish prince and princesses brought their partners to their father's birthday celebration; in the end only one of them ended up married to his princess (while one other was engaged). So, going back might not be easy, but is still possible. More problematic than the media would be her giving up quite a lot of her side activities.

It is not the same situation. Colonialism & slavery are two different things. British colonialism ended much more recently with most countries only geting their independence in the last 50-60 years. Also the British monarchy had a direct hand in colonialism & the Queen is still head of the commonwealth. The relationship between black brits & the British monarchy is very different.

This is the different perspective I was talking about! So thank you. As an African-American I know I come at this with a completely different viewpoint. Lord knows we're still working through our own racial issues here in the U.S. Like I said the few British people of color I know are pretty indifferent to the BRF. They don't necessarily hate them, but they don't feel like they have much to do with them.

And I agree I hope no one thinks Meghan or any one person is somehow going to right all racial wrongs and heal all wounds. Like how some people in the U.S. mistakenly thought electing Barack Obama cured racism. ( no seriously some people thought that). That being said I still thought the Guardian article gave a different voice then as been heard, at least by me, so I found it interesting.

Last edited:
I totally agree. It’s so exciting and wonderful to see “love in bloom”. I want to believe there was a tea to meet Gran and very much later Meghan took the red eye home. I can’t wait!

So do I!!!!!!!!
:flowers::flowers::flowers:

I thought the Guardian article was pretty poor to be honest.

Meghan is an attractive intelligent woman who has done well in this world but that wouldn't matter at all if Harry was the type of royal described in that article.

It completely ignores Harry's role in all this, the type of person he is. Meghan hasn't got to this point on her own.

And Meghan will have enough to cope with without anyone trying to make her some sort of one-woman rescue mission for the BRF who don't need rescuing.

Articles like this are, to say the least, unhelpful.

:previous:
I thought what was in the Guardian was more of an op-ed piece. And what I understood from it was that the author was explaining how the [possible] inclusion of this mixed race woman into the British Royal Family caused her to have an interest that she'd had no reason to feel before. I did not get the impression she was opining that Meghan was "saving" anyone.

I thought what was in the Guardian was more of an op-ed piece. And what I understood from it was that the author was explaining how the [possible] inclusion of this mixed race woman into the British Royal Family caused her to have an interest that she'd had no reason to feel before. I did not get the impression she was opining that Meghan was "saving" anyone.

Anglophile, I agree.

That's how I took it as well, which is why I mentioned hearing other views. This was just one view, and one from a segment British society I hadn't heard from, in a public forum on this issue. I found it interesting and I related ad an African-American. I just think discussions of racial issues make some uncomfortable.

Agreed :flowers: That's what I took from the article as well.

I never got the sense of 'Meghan the savior' or even any real opinion on what 'kind of royal' the author thinks Harry is.

One of my concerns is once the media is involved that’s it. There is no going back.

I just hope Meghan and Harry are on the same page because as much as some people think the royals are celebrities, it’s just not the case.

Media was involved in Cressida and Chelsea, and obviously they went back. :lol:

Media was involved in Cressida and Chelsea, and obviously they went back. :lol:

The media was involved with the blonde women he was linked to any time he stepped near a woman. Snapping photos is not the same.

This is different. Having released public statements. Meghan having spoken in a magazine about it. The press is directly involved more then any previous relationship Harry has had.

I thought the Guardian article was pretty poor to be honest.

Meghan is an attractive intelligent woman who has done well in this world but that wouldn't matter at all if Harry was the type of royal described in that article.

It completely ignores Harry's role in all this, the type of person he is. Meghan hasn't got to this point on her own.

And Meghan will have enough to cope with without anyone trying to make her some sort of one-woman rescue mission for the BRF who don't need rescuing.

Articles like this are, to say the least, unhelpful.

Everyone knows Harry plays a big role in this. I’m just glad to see something different going on in a royal relationship and the prospect of other people of a diverse background can see a person they can relate to for once.

No, the royal family does not need to be saved, but a breath of fresh air in the royal family is always good to see and it doesn’t hurt anyone either.

Last edited:
Bookies predict Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will wed in second half of next year | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Channel 4 Documentary
Saturday 28 October 2017

When Harry Met Meghan: A Royal Romance promises to “uncover the inside story of Meghan Markle and the story of her relationship with Prince Harry to date”.

It will also feature “exclusive interviews with friends and colleagues” and promises to “uncover the astonishing story of Meghan’s ancestors, with original and exclusive genealogy research”.

Harry has won over Meghan's mum but what about her father | Daily Mail Online

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/meghan-markles-nephew-reveals-heartache-11386023

I think it would be a nice gesture to invite all the family just for that 1 day, and then begin her new life. We don't really know much about the Maternal side of her family, aunts, cousins etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harry has won over Meghan's mum but what about her father | Daily Mail Online

Meghan Markle's nephew reveals heartache at the family rift that tore them apart - Mirror Online

I think it would be a nice gesture to invite all the family just for that 1 day, and then begin her new life. We don't really know much about the Maternal side of her family, aunts, cousins etc.

Yeah that side of her family - Doria's family - haven't spoken to the media unlike her half siblings and the other Markles who can't seem to shut up.

The nephew could have not spoken to the media if he wanted to reach out to Meghan. Sorry looks desperate and money grubbing. Have you seen what sister has done? Set up a gofundme for a new house. I know she suffers from MS but her Meghan are estranged. She expects her sibling to look after her which is funny as she has grown children who can look after her but no they don't talk to her either.

If and when Harry and Meghan do get married, I hope it is only her mother's side and her dad show up as family.

Black brits still carry the scars of British colonialism & tend to view the royals less favorably.

I'm bound to say that is absolutely NOT my experience. Through the charity I work with in London I talk to many 'Commonwealth Brits'.. from ex colonies in Africa, the Indian sub-continent and the Caribbean and [almost] 'to a man' they came to 'the Mother Country' to work and make a life here, and appreciate Britain's institutions and way of life. The VAST majority tell me they are Royalists and [particularly] appreciate HMQs commitment to the Commonwealth.
I know this is 'anecdotal', but it is my experience.

Yeah that side of her family - Doria's family - haven't spoken to the media unlike her half siblings and the other Markles who can't seem to shut up.

The nephew could have not spoken to the media if he wanted to reach out to Meghan. Sorry looks desperate and money grubbing. Have you seen what sister has done? Set up a gofundme for a new house. I know she suffers from MS but her Meghan are estranged. She expects her sibling to look after her which is funny as she has grown children who can look after her but no they don't talk to her either.

If and when Harry and Meghan do get married, I hope it is only her mother's side and her dad show up as family.

The less said about the much older siblings the better. She has not had contact with them in over 8 years and it seems to be for good reason. It would be a real shame if MM is judged by the attention grabbing antics of this side of the family and not the mother's side who have not said a word.

I'm bound to say that is absolutely NOT my experience. Through the charity I work with in London I talk to many 'Commonwealth Brits'.. from ex colonies in Africa, the Indian sub-continent and the Caribbean and [almost] 'to a man' they came to 'the Mother Country' to work and make a life here, and appreciate Britain's institutions and way of life. The VAST majority tell me they are Royalists and [particularly] appreciate HMQs commitment to the Commonwealth.

Most of my friends who are of Caribbean descent strongly identify as republican and have a very unfavourable view of the monarchy. These are people below the age of 35 so I guess it is a generational thing.

Last edited:
The less said about the much older siblings the better. She has not had contact with them in over 8 years and it seems to be for good reason. It would be a real shame if MM is judged by the attention grabbing antics of this side of the family and not the mother's side who have not said a word.

Sadly some folk already made up their minds about Meghan after the sister's initial interview with the Sun. So dumb.

I don't doubt that there are some black brits who do view the monarchy favorably, however they are largely in the minority. And as someone mentioned there is also a generational gap. The older generation are more sentimental to the Queen because she has been the figurehead for such a long time, but that is where their affection ends. The other royals simply do not garner the same respect.

The fact is you hardly ever see blacks or asians lining up the streets to celebrate royal occasions largely because of the history of oppression & inherited privilege that it represents.

Last edited:
Britain is like what? 88% White? Of course they would make up the majority of people lining up to celebrate royal occasion.

Britain is like what? 88% White? Of course they would make up the majority of people lining up to celebrate royal occasion.

Less than 50% of London's population is White. London is the place where most royal celebrations take place. There are also other areas in Britain where non-whites are the majority. The fact that Whites make up the overall majority in Britain still doesn't change the original point that blacks or asians hardly ever celebrate royal occasions.

Last edited:
I just read an online article that suggested this chapel as wedding venue:
Royal Military Chapel at Wellington Barracks at St James’s Park.

Given Harry's military background and interest it seems quite suitable.

Meghan's relatives running their mouths to the press is the most disgusting display I've seen. I don't know which is worse - the trashing of her or the bragging of their closeness to her in hopes of getting an invitation to the wedding if it happens. Some people claiming to be friends are on the band wagon. As for Samantha, she's the worse. But they are talking to the gossip press. If there is an announcement the more serious press in the US will run the story. If CNN and others news outlets run across these relatives and thier statements a vetting process will most likely take place. If the mainstream media come up with proof that what they have claimed are lies they are done.

my guess on all this stuff is:

I think they got engaged in August

I think it will be announced first week of dec...to give her time to have her stuff packed and shipped to the uk...so she can settle into his place a little bit.

I think they will get married at St georges in either late june or july

and i think its possible they air it....but i def dont think that is guaranteed

and i do think its already being planned..

Bookies predict Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will wed in second half of next year | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Channel 4 Documentary
Saturday 28 October 2017

When Harry Met Meghan: A Royal Romance promises to “uncover the inside story of Meghan Markle and the story of her relationship with Prince Harry to date”.

It will also feature “exclusive interviews with friends and colleagues” and promises to “uncover the astonishing story of Meghan’s ancestors, with original and exclusive genealogy research”.

I'm actually really excited for this program (sans the "exclusive interviews" part). It's apparently produced by the same producers of 'Who Do You Think You Are' which is an excellent genealogy series, a favorite of mine. I think I've seen all episodes of the USA, UK, and Australian versions.

I've looked through an online family tree of Meghan's and found many interesting ancestors, so I'm curious to know how accurate that tree is and which stories the program will choose to focus on.

Let's focus on Meghan and Harry please. The cultural make-up of the United Kingdom or of the people forming crowds at royal celebrations really has very little do with the subject. With regard Meghan's family let's stick to her immediate family or those we know she has a relationship with. Thank you.

I just read an online article that suggested this chapel as wedding venue:
Royal Military Chapel at Wellington Barracks at St James’s Park.

Given Harry's military background and interest it seems quite suitable.

I thought about it too, it's a very nice (yet small) venue. Two points concerning the place :

- It's the church where Camilla married Andrew Parkers Bowles (not a big deal, but a good story for the press anyway).

- The 2007 Memorial service for Diana was held here.

If some people on this thread are considering the Saint George's Chapel at Windsor as a second rate venue for a wedding, i just can't imagine their reaction for the Guard's chapel ...

In fact, if you think about it, it would be a logical and nice choice ...

Last edited:
Off the wall question, but has anyone seen an older photo of Meghan pre-Suits with a different hairstyle? I suspect that she is a natural "curly girl" and would love to see a photo to confirm my theory.

Mods-Sorry I know this has nothing to do with her relationship with Harry, but this appears to be the only thread for her at this point in time. Please feel free to move it to the appropriate thread.

I thought about it too, it's a very nice (yet small) venue. Two points concerning the place :

- It's the church where Camilla married Andrew Parkers Bowles (not a big deal, but a good story for the press anyway).

- The 2007 Memorial service for Diana was held here.

If some people on this thread are considering the Saint George's Chapel at Windsor as a second rate venue for a wedding, i just can't imagine their reaction for the Guard's chapel ...

In fact, if you think about it, it would be a logical and nice choice ...

The main concern for many with St George is the size. Well the guard chapel is even smaller, it only seats 500 people.

Its highly unlikely they would use such a small setting, and one with no real royal connection other then one Diana memorial.

The only reason is logical is for people desperate for a London wedding as they think it will be more of a show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom