Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The "Tea" report was discussed earlier-bottom line the timeline seems difficult but no one knows for sure. The Queen had an engagement a little later that evening that we know she attended, so whether she had time for a brief tea with guests at 5 is the question.

Is this true ? I'm surprised it hasn't been reported elsewhere as it is big news if it is indeed true.

It has probably escaped the notice of most of the publications because they would have had to delve into just what tea time with the Queen really is. I love how the article goes into the history of the Queen's special time of the day and how it came about and even that the Queen, herself, pours the tea (which always was the role of the Lady of the Manor. (I knew that from reading historical romances in my younger years.)

We still don't know the facts of the meeting as it was private (or even, as some have presented, even happened). To me, having a tea time meeting between Meghan and the Queen would have been the perfect opportunity for the two women to meet in private in a more relaxed atmosphere. Not really long enough to really get a good girl talk in and get to know each other but its a signal of the Queen's approval and would be kind of like a "welcome to the family" sort of thing if an engagement is imminent.

Bit by bit, as we sit back and watch things unfold, all indications point to a royal engagement in the not so far off future. I, for one, am extremely happy for Harry that he has finally met someone that loves him and wants to share his life with him (the full monty of public and private lifestyle). He's stated so many times that he really wanted to settle down with a home and family life and my biggest fear for him was that he'd "settle" on someone in order to have these things. The fact that falling in love with the woman precluded what will come naturally in a marriage, to me, is a big blessing for the both of them. I think they both hit the jackpot in finding each other.

We can sit here and tear apart and analyze aspects of Meghan Markle until we're blue in the face but the reality of the matter is that we don't matter. What matters is the deep relationship between Harry and Meghan themselves and that's a part of their lives that we'll never really have access to nor should we.

@O-H Anglophile: I think the article pretty much lays it out that no matter what and no matter where she is, the Queen has her tea each day at the same set time and that its sacrosanct to her. Its kind of nice to know that no matter what kind of a day HM is having, some things never change and she always has her tea time for a breather. :D

Last edited:
Where did you see Meghan had or is giving up her lease on her Toronto home? I hadn't read that yet. If that is true, I imagine she'll be moving to London soon. There doesn't seem to be a point in moving elsewhere for a brief time, then moving again.

I came across it 2 or 3 days ago in an article to a link posted here I think...might of been elsewhere I'll try to find it.

It was when the latest stuff came out that Harry/Meghan were house shopping in the Cotswolds.
LaRae

Last edited:
Is this true ? I'm surprised it hasn't been reported elsewhere as it is big news if it is indeed true.

Questionable due to the timing...Meghan was filming the next morning in Toronto, there's pics of her going into work...I guess she could of had tea and hopped on a plane...but I don't know.

LaRae

Both HMQ and Prince Harry had engagements early evening that Day, so it looks unlikely to be accurate...

I came across it 2 or 3 days ago in an article to a link posted here I think...might of been elsewhere I'll try to find it.

It was when the latest stuff came out that Harry/Meghan were house shopping in the Cotswolds.
LaRae

I read it on Emily Andrews' twitter. Don't know how reliable her info is, though.

I think what stood out for me with the Daily Beast article is that it specifically states that no matter what, come 5 in the afternoon, the Queen *always* breaks for tea. Its not a long period but perhaps 45 minutes to have tea and something to munch on but it happens religiously regardless of what is on the schedule for that day. This isn't the first time I've read this about the Queen's daily routines.

With this in mind, any evening engagements wouldn't figure into it at all. To me, its even more logical that the Queen would need her tea time to refresh and brace up for the evening ahead of her. Perhaps Meghan stopped in for tea on her way to the airport as a breather for herself before the flight home and an active, working schedule? We really don't know and probably won't ever know as things like this are very much kept private but I just think it was very possible that it could have happened.

That must of been where I saw it., thanks Cocoasneeze. None of the stories are really reliable, regardless the source unless the people involved are making a public statement. Sometimes it's hard to tell if there's truth to it...other times it's obvious that it's just a fake story.

LaRae

What better a past time for royal watchers than to separate the wheat from the chaff though? Its what we do. We get to know all the "tricks" the not so reliable journalists get up to. We get to weigh the pros and cons of what tea time with the Queen may really mean. We get to laugh at totally inane "news" that is so far out in left field that its a source of a giggle or two.

We actually get to learn as we go how things work in the British monarchy and the traditions and the order of precedence at a royal wedding and all kinds of things we didn't know before. Harry and Meghan aren't only a source for a right royal love story but also they're teaching us as we go along about things we might not have known before.

I like it. Thanks Harry and Meghan!! :D

I too had my doubts regarding this "alleged" meeting but Since Richards story broke many reputed media outlets have picked up on the story . This wouldn't have happened if there wasn't an outa of truth to it .

It could have happened that Meghan has met the queen prior (maybe in Balmoral) and was doing a follow up before the engagement announcement or it could also be that this was the very first time she met the queen and Harry wanted this to happen soon before the announcement is out .

I guess we'd get our answers only during the engagement interview .

Questionable due to the timing...Meghan was filming the next morning in Toronto, there's pics of her going into work...I guess she could of had tea and hopped on a plane...but I don't know.

LaRae

I think some timelines have gotten blurred by when they were published.

The tea is alleged to have taken place on Thursday the 12th. Suits was filming that day, but was not filming between Friday the 13th and Tuesday the 17th. The cast basically scattered during that time (Patrick to Haida Gwaii, which we'll remember from the Cambridge tour), Gabriel to NYC, and Sarah to Ireland.

The pictures of Meghan back at work were taken on Wednesday the 18th, to my eye later in the evening.

So Meghan wasn't filming the next morning from the alleged tea, but it is questionable whether she was *still* filming, or had ended her scenes a day earlier than everyone else during their long weekend.

Most royal stories both positive and negative rely on ‘sources’. Meaning you can write just about anything.

Usually we base the validity of the stories on whether we like the person being praised or criticised.

I too had my doubts regarding this "alleged" meeting but Since Richards story broke many reputed media outlets have picked up on the story . This wouldn't have happened if there wasn't an outa of truth to it .

I am going to disagree that other papers only re-report "true" stories. In fact, news outlets feel free to report that some other source reported something; it gets them off the hook of verifying a story. The story is the story at that point. And all they care about is the number of clicks they can get from whatever re-reporting they do.

Good points there Rudolph. Most everything we get information from has the middle man of the media in it. The more time we, ourselves, invest in following this romance, the more likely we are to be able to spot and discount various things that we know from experience cannot be true.

For example, if there had been articles printed around the world in August that Meghan Markle had gone to Buckingham Palace for tea with the Queen, we'd be asking what these reporters were smoking as we *know* the Queen is at Balmoral during August and with following the British royal family and their activities and even having their engagements posted here from the Court Circular, we'd know better.

There are a lot of sources out there that we know aren't credible but we also have to remember too that its up to us to be credible ourselves in posting. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
To me it's not about liking anyone or not, but about how much sense the supposed sighting would make. I don't see a later engagement something, that would've made this meeting impossible to happen, I think it could've easily happened.

I think many of these royal reporters do have legit sources, and don't just post any old gossip, because they like to keep their own word somewhat reliable. I'm thinking, that Emily Andrews has some scoop about Meghan not signing on for further more seasons, and other factors support that theory, imo.

I think that article in the Guardian offers a unique perspective. I haven't really seen much reaction from Brits of color concerning the Harry/Meghan relationship. I've often wondered what those of color in Britain feel about the BRF. Perhaps how a lot of African-Americans felt about the presidency until recently? You grow up your whole life seeing people who are supposed to represent you and your country yet they look nothing like you. The few Black British people I know are pretty indifferent to the BRF. It's not really something they feel strongly about one way or another because they don't really feel a connection to it. But that's only a handful of people. No group is a monolith. I'm sure there are a range of opinions. I hope more speak out.

I loved the Guardian article and it spoke the truth on so many levels.

Most royal stories both positive and negative rely on ‘sources’. Meaning you can write just about anything.

Usually we base the validity of the stories on whether we like the person being praised or criticised.

Thank you for saying so, Rudolph. :flowers: As the saying goes, even a clock is correct twice a day. ;)

However we also 'know' that Harry is working with media to some extent. I'd say discount nothing, and the way this little nubbin is being 'picked up on' and elaborated has me semi-convinced what (some) people are saying here: Meghan and Harry are heading for an announcement. Possible.

What a happy time for them if it's all true. Actually I found the presence of Meghan's mother at the Invictus Games more 'telling'. Interesting all round.

What a happy time for them if it's all true. Actually I found the presence of Meghan's mother at the Invictus Games more 'telling'. Interesting all round.

This is something that was a major clue for me too. With as guarded and under the radar both Harry and Meghan have been keeping their relationship, to have everything out in the open with even Meghan's mom in attendance and up close and personal with Harry and her daughter, the seriousness of this relationship couldn't have been made more clear if they had worn a big sign around their neck screaming "Its coming folks! Not long now!". :D

This is something that was a major clue for me too. With as guarded and under the radar both Harry and Meghan have been keeping their relationship, to have everything out in the open with even Meghan's mom in attendance and up close and personal with Harry and her daughter, the seriousness of this relationship couldn't have been made more clear if they had worn a big sign around their neck screaming "Its coming folks! Not long now!". :D

I totally agree. It’s so exciting and wonderful to see “love in bloom”. I want to believe there was a tea to meet Gran and very much later Meghan took the red eye home. I can’t wait!

I totally agree. It’s so exciting and wonderful to see “love in bloom”. I want to believe there was a tea to meet Gran and very much later Meghan took the red eye home. I can’t wait!

No reason for her to high-tail it back to Canada as Suits was on a long weekend break at that point. :flowers: We are told she showed back up on the Suits set the following Wednesday, along with everyone else.

It remains a curious leak, but no one (like Harry) is issuing a declarative stating that the press needs to 'back off' with the speculation. So that's interesting. Also, the lady in question could end the speculation in a trice (as many have done, as we know) by declaring at a photo call, some thing like, marriage is out of the question. Boom! Full stop! ;) ? Not happening.

So......

Last edited:
The photo call was at the I.G. Intentions were pretty clear....what's the old saying, actions speak louder than words!

LaRae

The photo call was at the I.G. Intentions were pretty clear....what's the old saying, actions speak louder than words! LaRae

That was clear acting for the cameras. ? They knew they were 'on'. It's one of the reasons I have become less 'fannish' regarding them (not that I was really that before). For me it's all purely generic. Romance and a royal wedding. Fun. But the cutsey with the press? No. Surprised she's up for it but she may have been persuaded by Harry. I'm sure she has been. She's going along. That alone says something.

Last edited:
I don't think they were acting. I think they were just allowing us to see them. For the first time really. Dropping the shields down a little.

LaRae

One of my concerns is once the media is involved that’s it. There is no going back.

I just hope Meghan and Harry are on the same page because as much as some people think the royals are celebrities, it’s just not the case.

I think IG served several purposes. It was the start of the rollout leading to the possible engagement, it was also part narrative building and changing the story from speculative rumors and gossip. It also was a give something to the press photocall that all royals do. It was planned because the relationship is very serious and they are priming the press to switch gears leading to a possible wedding. It also served to introduce Meghan to the IG games which is something that is very important to PH. If MM is to join the firm she will also attend the games in a more official capacity. In addition to it being a photo op, after the tennis match we saw Meghan greeting the participants, talking to children etc. so it was also a test run for her possible future as a member of the firm.

:previous:Lady Nimue
:previous:Pranter

Maybe it was a little bit of both, sure they knew that the cameras were out there glued to them and they could of said......*Shucks, let's give them something to talk about finally* and they did...with all good intentions that they are a couple in love and the heck with what any one else says or thinks.

Isn't love grand when 2 people find each other and they sure showed us that love is just that!

I don't think they were acting. I think they were just allowing us to see them. For the first time really. Dropping the shields down a little. LaRae

I don't mean acting as in false or fake. I think they were absolutely genuine in what they were showing, particularly in the 'dark' grainy pictures. ;) However, I see a bit of uncertainty in the more open, daylight pictures. They know they are putting on a 'show' but their cues are a bit stilted in delivery. Not natural. Definitely 'on' for the camera. JMO, of course. Because of that (what I see, not saying what others see) I am a bit disappointed. But that's just me.

One of my concerns is once the media is involved that’s it. There is no going back. I just hope Meghan and Harry are on the same page because as much as some people think the royals are celebrities, it’s just not the case.

That's what I am referring to when I mention pressure. :sad: Does Meghan really understand what she is setting up here? Harry is clearly eager, but what if she decides she wants out? Just wondering. This is not a normal situation. Of course, she may have already committed, said yes, and it's all a done deal. No going back for her or them. Likely so, in fact. Her mother is okay with it. Says it all. :flowers:

I found the Guardian article to be cringeworthy! Generally when anyone is portrayed as some sort of savior for an entire race of people it makes me feel uneasy. Also the concept that you have to seek white validation in order to feel appreciated is just plain wrong.

I like Meghan but I'm not going to pretend that she's going to bring about some sort of seismic shift for blacks living in Britain. Meghan has had some challenges in her life, however she did grow up more privileged than most and she mixes mostly with an elite group of friends. I would caution against anyone trying to live vicariously through her or hoping she'd be some sort of savior.

Also the experience of black brits is different. Black brits still carry the scars of British colonialism & tend to view the royals less favorably. Meghan does not share this history & I seriously doubt that she'd have much of an impact in the way the royals are viewed.

Last edited:
There is zero chance they would escape the media. Harry never has been able to due to his birth. Meghan is willingly entering into a relationship where she knows the media will be intrusive.

I don't see the I.G. as a misstep. She/he weren't out calling the paps to notify them. They were there and allowed the media (and the fans) to see them together. After the I.G. they zipped things back up ...no sightings.

What else are they do to? They want to retain as much control over things as they can, seems like they are making it clear you are only going to see what we allow you to see. Much like W&K are doing.

Hmmm Queen E I would say that due to slavery in the U.S. Meghan would (since it seems she has ancestors who were enslaved) be in the same situation as Blacks in the U.K.

LaRae

When you stop and think about it, even HM, The Queen puts on her "game face" when she is out and about on engagements and among the people. Its all part and parcel of having a public role. This is no different with Harry and Meghan.

They knew they were in a public venue at the IG. The most certainly knew that the world was just itching to get photos of them together and they'd have to have been living under a rock (perhaps a very posh rock even) to not realize that with Meghan living in Canada and the IG being in Canada and the IG being something very dear to Harry's heart that the public interest in the two of them was high. Both of them were able to enjoy the games together in public and acted like a normal, ordinary couple in love in public but with the knowing that all eyes were on them. We saw *exactly* what they wanted us to see.

I think they did a splendid job myself. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom