Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All of the women who marry into the RF's now have lived with their boyfriends before marriage. The only exception I can think of is Stephanie de Lannoy, who reportedly never even had a boyfriend before she met Guillaume of Luxembourg.

Mette-Marit of Norway had a full life before she became Crown Princess of Norway. She had a child with another man. She did not wear pastel at her wedding...And even "virginal" Stephanie did not choose to marry in white..she wore a dreamy oyster silver-gray colored bridal gown.

Have you ever heard of Sofia Hellqvist, who married Prince Carl-Philip of Sweden. Google her when you get a chance.

If SHE could wear white to her wedding anyone can!!

Yes, I have heard of Sofia Hellqvist, and you are not doing Meghan any favors by comparing her to Sofia.

:previous: I disagree.

It's called PERSPECTIVE. And if your standards prevailed only one or two recent Royal brides would be entitled wear white to their weddings!:lol:

Ooh, I love this idea! If poppies wouldnt work for whatever reason we have many charming CA native flowers. It would be a lovely nod to her birthplace.

Yes we do and they might be easier to work with than our California Poppy. Also I wonder if they could be flown to the UK or would a florist want to have them grown for the occasion?

I think we all should be careful calling people names and making claims against someone's character like this. I have run across people who have this view. It's more traditional to think a divorcée shouldn't wear white and certainly an uncommon view but it doesn't make anyone a bad person. Everyone is allowed to post in this thread not just fans. Everyone can express their opinion.

That said a blush or champagne dress would be pretty. White is fine too but I could see Meghan in other colors if she desired. I' actually like the idea of it.

Anna Catherine thank you

A charming idea, I think. Perhaps the bouquet could have some Canadian flowers in it too?
The only thing with poppies is that there is the connotation in Britain and the Commonwealth that they are associated with WW1, Remembrance Day and the poppy fields of Flanders, (at least the red ones are.) Of course, if they marry in November 2018....

Last edited:
I think we all should be careful calling people names and making claims against someone's character like this. I have run across people who have this view. It's more traditional to think a divorcée shouldn't wear white and certainly an uncommon view but it doesn't make anyone a bad person. Everyone is allowed to post in this thread not just fans. Everyone can express their opinion.

That said a blush or champagne dress would be pretty. White is fine too but I could see Meghan in other colors if she desired. I' actually like the idea of it.

I don't think the biggest issue is suggesting there could be other color options, but the shaming of it and said she'd be ridiculous in white because of it that's been happening. It's not the first time some of this stuff has been brought up and used against the woman when the man have just as much scandalous history when it comes to sex if not more.

But yes, I agree with the name calling.

I don't think the biggest issue is suggesting there could be other color options, but the shaming of it and said she'd be ridiculous in white because of it that's been happening. It's not the first time some of this stuff has been brought up and used against the woman when the man have just as much scandalous history when it comes to sex if not more.

thank you, Jacqui. The slut shaming of Meghan has no place in this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
A charming idea, I think. The only thing with poppies is that there is the connotation in Britain and the Commonwealth that they are associated with WW1, Remembrance Day and the poppy fields of Flanders, (at least the red ones are.) Of course, if they marry in Novemer 2018....

Yes I do believe that the familiar red Flanders poppies would not be used for a wedding considering their symbolic association with Remembrance Day.

When Meghan picks her wedding dress it should be a shade that flatters her skin tone. She has a lot of options because there are so many shades of white. I am looking forward to her choices.

I think we should move on from this but I think jumping to call it shaming or slut-shaming is still unnecessary. That's the last I'll say. No point getting into trouble or causing a ruckus.

The only thing with poppies is that there is the connotation in Britain and the Commonwealth that they are associated with WW1, Remembrance Day

That connotation really only applies to Red poppies [and a bit] to white pacifist ones. In that respect Orange Poppies wouldn't be a problem.. BUT California poppies WILT badly when cut [I know because I grow them myself], and have a 'vase life' of less than an hour..
CERTAINLY not long enough for a long ceremony under blazing Television lights !

I have a question. Who was the last foreigner to marry into the BRF? I mean someone marrying a royal in a similar or higher position within the family to Harry? How did they handle that situation?

When Meghan picks her wedding dress it should be a shade that flatters her skin tone. She has a lot of options because there are so many shades of white. I am looking forward to her choices.

DITTO. I have no doubt that she will be one beautiful bride.

I have a question. Who was the last foreigner to marry into the BRF? I mean someone marrying a royal in a similar or higher position within the family to Harry? How did they handle that situation?

I believe it was Queen Alexandra or someone in her generation? Queen Mary was born in the country.

I believe it was Queen Alexandra or someone in her generation? Queen Mary was born in the country.
I believe that would be Princess Marina of Greece who married Prince George aka The Duke of Kent in 1934. George was the third son of the then Duke and Duchess of York, later King George V and Queen Mary.

Last edited:
Who was the last foreigner to marry into the BRF?

Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark [HRH the Duke of Edinburgh] and before him Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark [ HRH the Duchess of Kent].

That'd be the Queen when she married Philip of Greece. Before that The Duke of Kent married Marina of Greece and in the seventies both Richard of Gloucester and Michael of Kent married foreigners.

Marina, a Princess of Greece and Denmark, married the Duke of Kent (the fourth son of George V) in the mid 1930s. How did she handle it? With aplomb, although she wasn't used to court life. Her family had spent years in exile.

This post is probably going to be all over the place........I think NC would be ideal place starting out, incorporating poppies a nice touch. No matter the church or gown color, they’ll receive God’s blessing and I wish them happy as they seem to be now. The unspoken word here is “virgin”. My beautiful engaged 33 year old gal lives with her beau. They have one bedroom. Watching their excitement and joy planning for their day...I can hardly contain my own joy. It never entered my mind to ask what color. No she’s not a princess but in today’s day and age so many things are different. In the end, I believe H and M know what they’re doing and taken the “Royal aspect” into consideration.

I believe that would be Princess Marina of Greece who married Prince George aka The Duke of Kent in 1934. George was the third son of the then Duke and Duchess of York, later King George V and Queen Mary.

Ah, I had forgotten about Princess Marina.

I believe that would be Princess Marina of Greece who married Prince George aka The Duke of Kent.

I was thinking of women for better correlation though I forgot about Prince Philip. So the last foreign women were royal? I guess with Meghan it's slightly uncharted territory. I'm just wondering how they'll handle the transition for her. I think she should have at least a couple months. Preferably longer I think she should live in the UK for a bit first to get better acquainted with her new home, country, and the people she'll be representing.

Last edited:
Both Philip and Marina were in quite similar positions though, and very different to Meghan. Both had royal blood, had spent years in exile but had strong family links with members of the extended BRF. (They were also first cousins.)

I suppose Princesx Michael is the nearest to Meghan's future position but she and her husband have never taken up royal duties, so it's quite dissimilar as well.

The Duchess of Gloucester is a Danish commoner and working royal although completely out of the spotlight.

Princess Michael of Kent is German I believe and doesn’t work for the Firm.

Meghan is she marries Harry will be in the spotlight as a working royal

Both Philip and Marina were in quite similar positions though, and very different to Meghan. Both had royal blood, had spent years in exile but had strong family links with members of the extended BRF. (They were also first cousins.)

I suppose Princesx Michael is the nearest to Meghan's future position but she and her husband have never taken up royal duties, so it's quite dissimilar as well.

Nearer example is the Duchess of Gloucester who was born in Denmark - she carries out royal duties

Of course! Thank you cepe. I'd completely forgotten about the Duchess.

I was thinking of women for better correlation though I forgot about Prince Philip. So the last foreign women were royal? I guess with Meghan it's slightly uncharted territory. I'm just wondering how they'll handle the transition for her. I think she should have at least a couple months. Preferably longer I think she should live in the UK for a bit first to get better acquainted with her new home, country, and the people she'll be representing.

Yes. And I'm not certain about Princess Marina, but Prince Phillip moved to UK when he was very young, so there wasn't any cultural issues there. Although, today's world is different as people are more connected and communication is better. I honestly think the royal life might be more different and more complicated than the cultural difference UK has compared to US or Canada.

I thought PRincess Michaeal was did have charity patronges as did Prince Michael.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom